• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
This image has been around since the Artsy Omni Rayman hoax back in 2015. Ever since then, people had always asked why Umbrella was there.

To this day, we still don't know.
I want to say that it's because Umbrella never made it to Skullgirls despite her important status, until this year.
But that would still fail to explain why she's in a picture depicting popular smash picks who didn't make it at the time.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Out of respect for Heihachi's voice actor.
There's some things I don't completely understand about retiring a character out of respect for a deceased VA:

1) Would a VA really be that insulted by being replaced after their death? Personally, if I were a voice actor and I died during my career, I'd be completely be okay with and understanding towards being replaced; in fact, I'd honestly rather be replaced than have my character retire just because I'm no longer alive to voice them.
2) Couldn't there be a better way to show respect for a deceased voice actor (without retiring a character)?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think SNK getting a 2nd rep might be a front runner on the table.
Metal slug rep most likely and it could come with 4 characters at once which would be an alt Marco, Eri, Tarma, Fio.
Surprisingly we don’t have a gun user on fighter pack 2
Also I think it’s a good ending for smash if it ends off with multiple characters at once
Ya know who also has a gun?
1624043384158.png

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's some things I don't completely understand about retiring a character out of respect for a deceased VA:

1) Would a VA really be that insulted by being replaced after their death? Personally, if I were a voice actor and I died during my career, I'd be completely be okay with and understanding towards being replaced.
2) Couldn't there be a better way to show respect for a deceased voice actor (without retiring a character)?
I recall Japan has a different view regarding stuff as opposed to the West especially regarding respect.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think SNK getting a 2nd rep might be a front runner on the table.
Metal slug rep most likely and it could come with 4 characters at once which would be an alt Marco, Eri, Tarma, Fio.
Surprisingly we don’t have a gun user on fighter pack 2
Also I think it’s a good ending for smash if it ends off with multiple characters at once
The circumstances surrounding Terry's pack (It was more an SNK pack than a KOF / FF pack) coupled with the fact that SNK is by far the smallest 3rd party company represented in Smash makes me feel it's incredibly unlikely we get a 2nd SNK character still.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Do you guys think theres any chance Kazuya comes with Jin as an alt?

If I remember correctly they have a somewhat simlar fighting style and Jin is nowhere to be found unlike Heihachi.
If that were the case, then they would of revealed that in his trailer. Like how the different Heroes were revealed in Hero's trailer, or Alex/Zombie/Enderman were in Steve's trailer.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Do you guys think theres any chance Kazuya comes with Jin as an alt?

If I remember correctly they have a somewhat simlar fighting style and Jin is nowhere to be found unlike Heihachi.
If Jin was playable, I'm positive they would've shown him alongside Kazuya in the trailer. They did it for Hero and Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman. So I can't see them not doing it with another character that has another character as an Alt.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
There's a lot of confusion about the Heihachi's retiring and Japanese voice acting going around here, so just to clear some of it up:
  • Heihachi's character was "retired" before his voice actor died. Tekken 7's story mode where Heihachi dies happened in 2017 while Unshō Ishizuka died in 2018.
  • I use "retired" in quotes because he really wasn't. He was later put into KoF All-Stars in 2019. They even reused Ishizuka's voiceclips. Obviously I don't see Heihachi appearing in a new mainline game, but for spin-offs (like a potential new Tekken Tag Tournament) I don't think Namco cares to be perfectly honest.
  • Heihachi had multiple voice actors in the past, with VA Daisuke Gori (who voiced him since Tekken 3) passing away in 2010. Ishizuka would replace him a year later in the Tekken: Blood Vengeance movie. Again this just shows how he wasn't "retired" because of his VA passing away.
  • This is personal speculation but while Japanese VA's are definitely more respected and treated better in Japan than in the West, I really do feel like people tend to overblow how highly regarded they are and act like they'd kill off a character if a VA passed away. For example, Hiromi Tsuru - the voice of Bulma in Dragon Ball - passed away in late 2017. She had voiced the character in every appearance since the 1980's, but she got replaced not even 4 months later for a cleaning commercial in 2018 (and has been voiced by Aya Hisakawa ever since).

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I stand then the reason for Kazuya was a combination of Sakurai wanting to use him for his more unique devil gene abilities as well as being the original protagonist of the first Tekken game.
Yea, I now realize Heihachi probably would've been a bit boring in comparison.

Edit: From a marketability standpoint anyway.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I may be late, but what's going on with the whole convo of the last character has to be a western pick? Seems kinda arbitrary when you consider that majority of the characters in both passes have huge appeal to many different places of the world (North America, South/Latin America, Japan, sometimes even worldwide), and Steve is the biggest western pick you can ever have.

But if we do get a western pick as in a character that appeals to the west specifically... it's be a Shooter McGunner, not a Scimbo Bimblo

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Look if we really want to go with the angle of having the last character be western, yet small, maybe we should turn our heads to this guy.

Destroy All Humans: A Long Awaited Resurrection - KeenGamer

I know he's still a pipe dream but a man can dream.
Wouldn't mind a non-human western character
who is that though lmao

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm pretty sure the take that was being argued was that the last fighter wouldn't be a western character, mostly because Riley thinks that western-centric characters can't be DLC.
Was Banjo and Steve not Western? Like, you can bring up Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship all you want but the fact is they are western made and western owned

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
who is that though lmao
That's Crypto from Destroy All Humans. An alien from the planet Furon that goes to Earth to harvest brainstems. He has an assortment of weapons like the Zap-O-Matic, Disintegrator Ray, Ion Detonator which is pretty much a grenade launcher that vaporizes stuff, a gun that shoots meteors, guns that summon an underground beast and a venus human trap, and a gun that sticks to people and objects and makes them bounce all over the place.

He would have a sick moveset and it helps that the Destroy All Humans remake is coming to Switch next month. I recommend checking it out if you like the idea of an alien invasion game where you are the alien blowing stuff up.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Was Banjo and Steve not Western? Like, you can bring up Microsoft and Nintendo's relationship all you want but the fact is they are western made and western owned
"But see it doesn't count because Banjo & Kazooie are honorary Nintendo characters and Minecraft is literally the best selling game of all time."

Snark aside, western-centric was meant in terms of appeal, not strictly ownership.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I may be late, but what's going on with the whole convo of the last character has to be a western pick? Seems kinda arbitrary when you consider that majority of the characters in both passes have huge appeal to many different places of the world (North America, South/Latin America, Japan, sometimes even worldwide), and Steve is the biggest western pick you can ever have.

But if we do get a western pick as in a character that appeals to the west specifically... it's be a Shooter McGunner, not a Scimbo Bimblo
I have no clue. I wouldn't bank on it tbh.

I want the final character to be a Shooter McGunner for moveset potential alone, even from a series like Resident Evil, but I feel a Scrimbo Bimblo is more likely. It feels weird to go a full fighter pass without a platformer character in a platform fighter. Unless you count Minecraft?

Either way, if it is a western character, they probably have worldwide appeal like Steve. Crash is a pretty good contender for that but so is a GTAV rep. We've gotten Ice-T in Smash already. I don't see GTAV pushing the themes.

That's Crypto from Destroy All Humans. An alien from the planet Furon that goes to Earth to harvest brainstems. He has an assortment of weapons like the Zap-O-Matic, Disintegrator Ray, Ion Detonator which is pretty much a grenade launcher that vaporizes stuff, a gun that shoots meteors, guns that summon an underground beast and a venus human trap, and a gun that sticks to people and objects and makes them bounce all over the place.

He would have a sick moveset and it helps that the Destroy All Humans remake is coming to Switch next month. I recommend checking it out if you like the idea of an alien invasion game where you are the alien blowing stuff up.
He's from an open-world game, right? It would fit the idea I had that we could get two JRPG characters, two fighting game characters, and two open world characters.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Most of our western characters aren't human though (Dark Samus, Diddy, Banjo)...it's only Steve that isn't and he's "human". I suppose you could consider Little Mac an honorary Western character but then you'd have to consider Ridley one as well.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
"But see it doesn't count because Banjo & Kazooie are honorary Nintendo characters and Minecraft is literally the best selling game of all time."

Snark aside, western-centric was meant in terms of appeal, not strictly ownership.
While I won't deny that Steve has worldwide appeal, I think he's a much bigger deal in the west than in the east considering how huge Minecraft culture is over here. I'm sure it's big in the east, but it's a whole nother level over here.

Also, Terry has Latin America which is also the west. The west doesn't just mean North America, there is a Southern Hemisphere

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The most hype character inclusions from each game according to me (from highest to lowest):

64: :mario64::link64::pikachu64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::yoshi64::luigi64:(I didn't know the rest really, and Jigglypuff was weird)

Melee: :bowsermelee::ganondorfmelee::zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:(More so Shiek cuz I thought her moveset was badass. I was a 10 year old, sue me):mewtwomelee::younglinkmelee::gawmelee::falcomelee::peachmelee:

Brawl: (OMG SANIC):sonic::metaknight::dedede::diddy::pt::warioc::olimar::wolf:

Smash 4: (Omg Mega man!) :4megaman::4ryu::rosalina::4pacman:(Not a joke):4littlemac::4cloud:(Mostly because I knew what a big deal he was):4palutena::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:

Ultimate: (OMFG THIS IS HAPPENING BANJO AND KAZOOIE AHHHH) :ultbanjokazooie::ultinkling::ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultsephiroth:(Again, because I knew this was a big deal, and wow that trailer, wow).

Everyone is here is most certainly notable as well, but that's a bit different obviously as far as reveals go. I lost it with :ultsnake:even though I've never properly played a MG game because I felt he belonged in Smash.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While I won't deny that Steve has worldwide appeal, I think he's a much bigger deal in the west than in the east considering how huge Minecraft culture is over here. I'm sure it's big in the east, but it's a whole nother level over here.

Also, Terry has Latin America which is also the west. The west doesn't just mean North America, there is a Southern Hemisphere
Minecraft being more popular here doesn't erase the emense worldwide popularity, which covers the eastern (particularly Japanese) popularity requirement for the argument.

Also, Terry is very popular in China and Japan as well, not just Latin America.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

Terry isn't big all over Latin America, just certain countries from what I understand. I'm sure that's not even why he was added anyway.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
He's from an open-world game, right? It would fit the idea I had that we could get two JRPG characters, two fighting game characters, and two open world characters.
Yep he is!

Also, I heard someone mention fire theory. Now we haven't seen Kauzya use any fire moves. However, for his victory screen if he throws the opponent into a volcano, would that count? Would fire theory still be alive then?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom