• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I say this as a huge Waluigi supporter, there is no "bonus fighter" he's either CP11 or nothing.

I feel like people fabricated this whole idea of a "bonus fighter" cause it gave them hope that Waluigi could be added as playable since they somehow believe he can't have a stage, spirits and music out of the countless Mario games he's been in.

Waluigi wouldn't be the bonus fighter. They would either end on "for Japan and for the West" combo, two characters who compliment each other like Crash & Spyro or Master Chief & Doom-Guy, or an echo fighter or semi-clone. Sakurai sets the memes, he doesn't follow them.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Waluigi wouldn't be the bonus fighter. They would either end on "for Japan and for the West" combo, two characters who compliment each other like Crash & Spyro or Master Chief & Doom-Guy, or an echo fighter. Sakurai sets the memes, he doesn't follow them.
I hear most people saying that there will be a bonus fighter and it's Waluigi, I don't hear other characters talked about too much.

I don't know why people don't realize that CP11 is the bonus fighter.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Anyway, my final predictions for the final fighter

if it’s third party, it’ll be a League of Legends champion, most likely Ahri (stars in Ruined King), Ekko (stars in CONV/RGENCE) or Jinx (face of Wild Rift app, one of the focuses of the upcoming ARCANE Netflix series). Though, I’m lately not as confident in them unless Ultimate gets a China release with all DLC on cart, or even an expanded version. And LoL’s maybe TOO big of a deal to end on, just like Master Chief. It could also be a double dip but not the one you’re expecting - Neku from TWEWY, or even Violet from P5R (as per the “Jane” in Joker’s file) Violet, Neku and various LoL peeps have figurines too, but if it was a third party I’m leaning more to LoL and I’m not even sure CP11 will be third party in the first place.

if it’s first party, it’ll be a Splatoon character. Coincidentally (not intentionally) Ultimate started with Splatoon and it’ll end with it. Either Octoling with a fully unique move set, or if you wanna be adventurous, Off the Hook (Pearl & Marina). Would fit with Figure Theory too (Octoling if Amiibo count, Off the Hook if Amiibo don’t count since OtH has a Figma)

IF, I repeat, IF there is a bonus, it’ll be only one, first party, and individual DLC like Piranha Plant. Meaning no stage or Spirit Board (could bring one song max like how the Cuphead and Sans Miis did). Candidates include Dixie Kong, a new Kirby rep, a new Pokémon, an Astral Chain character inb4 Jena Anderson as she wasn’t in the Spirit Event, an AT promotion like Waluigi, Isaac or Ashley; and yes, Elma.

bam, lock it in, this is what I’m betting on
This "bonus fighter theory" I keep reading everywhere, is that one based on the code in the australian Smash Bros Ultimate official site?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
That's an interesting way of looking at it, I never thought about it that way! Thanks for bringing that up. Come to think of it, Kazuya does fit the bill as a final fighter in the same way Bayonetta did - a unique character with a fair bit of appeal. Looking at it that way, suddenly I think you're right! It was framed as such early on, so I don't know why I never picked up on it.

Though in that sort of context, I don't think it's Master Hand like I did back when I thought there'd be a standalone bonus fighter, haha. I have no idea who CP11 could be!

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi wouldn't be the bonus fighter. They would either end on "for Japan and for the West" combo, two characters who compliment each other like Crash & Spyro or Master Chief & Doom-Guy, or an echo fighter or semi-clone. Sakurai sets the memes, he doesn't follow them.
What? That doesn't make sense. An unlikely bonus would likely work out like Piranha Plant. Just the fighter, no extra packed in content. Incineroar and Piranha Plant don't complement each other.

I hear most people saying that there will be a bonus fighter and it's Waluigi, I don't hear other characters talked about too much.

If I remember correctly, the bonus fighter stuff relates to some Nintendo website url listing. It could be a glitch and mean nothing, but it does state there's something we can't see yet happening directly after CP11, Piranha Plant's website url ties in right before Joker's.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This "bonus fighter theory" I keep reading everywhere, is that one based on the code in the australian Smash Bros Ultimate official site?
Yeah

granted it might not be a character, but due to its placement I doubt it’s a Both Passes + PP bundle

could be a stage pack, or (less likely) a music pack

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
That's an interesting way of looking at it, I never thought about it that way! Thanks for bringing that up. Come to think of it, Kazuya does fit the bill as a final fighter in the same way Bayonetta did - a unique character with a fair bit of appeal. Looking at it that way, suddenly I think you're right! It was framed as such early on, so I don't know why I never picked up on it.

Yeah, when Sakurai said "looks like there will be one more fighter than last time"

FP1 only had 5 characters, I think the DLC would have ended on Kazuya, but they decided to add another character for some reason. Challenger Pack 11 is the extra slot/bonus fighter.

Staarih

Smash Master

Yeah, I've kinda been under the impression that the sixth slot is somewhat extra, thus, a bonus of sorts. Makes me think the character may also have been chosen under different circumstances.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace

There is some evidence for a Bonus Fighter; the leap in logic from "there might be one based on the website's back end and that recent glitch it had" to "oh my gosh you guys it's totally Waluigi, 4 da memes, how totally lulz you guys" is a lot more of a stretch.

Hard to call it a bonus character when were charged more, even if the economics of it maje sense either way.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
If the website goof does in fact point to something - with it being confirmed that this something cannot be a fighter - I wonder if maybe it's something else?
They could want to tie up the stage selection screen, no? Once Kazuya and CP11 drop, there'll be three empty spots on it. That's not tinfoil-hatting over a datamine, but something you can see for yourself at a glance.
Now granted, there will also be room for four more fighters on the character selection screen, but since the CSS self-adjusts to remain symmetrical, it won't look like those four spots are empty, but rather that they just aren't there.
A small pack of stages, mayhap...?

...Nah. I'm reading too much into it. They might just let those three spots remain empty, or maybe they'll readjust the stage selection screen to better fit all the stages. But what if, y'know?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Smash 4 DLC ended on the results of a fan voted ballot, whether or not you agree with the results that's somewhat of a "high note" in and of itself. Not to the extent of megaton mass appeal picks like Ryu and Cloud (this time around, Steve and Sephiroth) but certainly significant enough. Bayonetta is no slouch and if that's our standard at least keeps the door open for beloved, albeit slightly smaller third party picks.

Ultimate DLC was never in danger of ending with Byleth. If we're to believe Sakurai in Banjo's presentation, there were always plans to bring in "one or two" more characters post FP1, even if a FP2 wasn't totally locked in at the time. Given the information we do know I'd say there's a high chance one of those characters would have been Steve, which is obviously a pretty big deal.

Bottom line though, I hope we can put this sort of thing to rest and assess the final character with as wide an umbrella as we did any other character. Sorry to point you out in particular but I just saw a good excuse to tangent about it briefly.
I also want to add that maybe the negative reaction of Byleth made them rethink the order of this pass. The Byleth reaction was insanely negative for what has otherwise been positive PR central.

I know it’s smarter to have your big guns early on, but maybe they decided it was the best for the game’s legacy (& continued sales) to end on a more positive note.

The reaction to Pyra was already mixed but imagine if she was the last character? It would’ve been pretty bad. So maybe they bumped her up to avoid that reaction.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
When it comes to having six characters in FP2, I always assumed it was that they ended up making a deal with another third party to get a character. That doesn't necessarily mean CP11 is 3rd party, mind you, just that they got another company involved that they may have not anticipated, and decided to keep the 1st party characters that had already been chosen.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As much as I'd like there to be another character after CP11 I've accepted a while ago that it's likely just a strange numbering error. The fact that it's exclusive to the EU / AU region sites and doesn't seem to carry over to US or JP is pretty damning in my eyes and it really does seem like we're nearing the end.

I suppose under some conditions I can see additional fighters sold post FP2 individually but that would be a different story and not really explain the website as it currently is - the bonus fighter theory only works under the assumption that it would be part of FP2.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, when Sakurai said "looks like there will be one more fighter than last time"

FP1 only had 5 characters, I think the DLC would have ended on Kazuya, but they decided to add another character for some reason. Challenger Pack 11 is the extra slot/bonus fighter.
CP11 or Steve & Alex could be the fighter that was pushed back from being CP5. Maybe Byleth was put in their place after they decided to make more DLC and Three Houses did well? That's pretty tinfoily though. Having an extra character this time might've just been because it would cause less confusion and tempt people to buy it.

While don't believe it now, the bonus character theory does have some official website basis and isn't tied to CP11.

This part of the PapaGenos video on the subject explains it well enough.

Spatman

Smash Ace

People say there could be a bonus fighter for that stuff about url codes, but in that url the numbers of the six characters of FP2 are already counted. So, no, it can't be the cp11 the bonus fighter

Twilord

Smash Ace
What? That doesn't make sense. An unlikely bonus would likely work out like Piranha Plant. Just the fighter, no extra packed in content. Incineroar and Piranha Plant don't complement each other.
Your comparison only works if we ignore that Piranha Plant wasn't planned to be a DLC from what we know. This hypothetical bonus character clearly would be.

Doesn't mean you're wrong, for example Crash and Spyro might share a Skylanders Stage and Spirit Board, or alternatively they are a pair like Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

This doesn't mean that it will happen, to be clear.

Last edited:

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
There is some evidence for a Bonus Fighter; the leap in logic from "there might be one based on the website's back end and that recent glitch it had" to "oh my gosh you guys it's totally Waluigi, 4 da memes, how totally lulz you guys" is a lot more of a stretch.

Hard to call it a bonus character when were charged more, even if the economics of it maje sense either way.
It's not really "for the memes" Waluigi is a heavily popular character that a lot of people can recognize. He's been a requested character for some time, I can see them adding Waluigi to get people talking about the game.

Look at the reaction from Banjo, (another requested character) or even the Sans costume. People were genuinely excited over a mii gunner costume for Sans coming to the game. These kinds of things cause pretty big reactions. I'm not sure how "4 the memes!!1!" can be used as an argument like there's some 50 year old executive at Nintendo that would exclude a character because he thinks it's a meme and not "real popularity" like they could even tell the difference anyway.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
As much as I'd like there to be another character after CP11 I've accepted a while ago that it's likely just a strange numbering error. The fact that it's exclusive to the EU / AU region sites and doesn't seem to carry over to US or JP is pretty damning in my eyes and it really does seem like we're nearing the end.

I suppose under some conditions I can see additional fighters sold post FP2 individually but that would be a different story and not really explain the website as it currently is - the bonus fighter theory only works under the assumption that it would be part of FP2.
Really, the most damning thing is Mr. Sakurai saying so clearly only two fighters remain. If there were in fact more fighters planned, wouldn't a simple non-comment be the appropriate response to being asked about it? For him to be so straight-up about it tells me we're just about done. I keep saying it because I really just don't see how to really get around that when discussing this.
If there ever were to be a bonus fighter, it was completely unplanned circa a couple of weeks ago, meaning we wouldn't see it for a damn while anyhow.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Staarih

Smash Master
What incentive would there be for a bonus fighter? Piranha Plant was free for those who ordered the game within a certain time, pushing initial sales. I'm not sure what would be equivalent at the end tail of DLC. If it's just a fighter, would it not just be a regular, individual pack?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Japan is a fraction of the market, I'm sure Nintendo would weep over the loss of Japanese sales with sales pouring in from the rest of the world.

Or Japan can just get over it and buy him anyway like the rest of us when RPG McSwordguy drops. Plenty of them probably already bought the whole pass.
This is a weird take to me because the situation with JRPG characters in the west and Rayman in Japan aren't even remotely comparable when looking at sales. All things considered, games like Persona 5 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses sold very well in the west. In the case of Three Houses specifically, more than two thirds of its sales came from the west, despite the grumblings of overly-online Smash fans.

But then on the flip side there's Rayman in Japan, where Rayman Legends debuted at only 1,500 copies sold. That's even worse than how Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. did, which, as much as I personally love it, is considered to be a financial flop.

Rayman isn't just controversial or unpopular. He outright bombed there.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This is a weird take to me because the situation with JRPG characters in the west and Rayman in Japan aren't even remotely comparable when looking at sales. All things considered, games like Persona 5 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses sold very well in the west. In the case of Three Houses specifically, more than two thirds of its sales came from the west, despite the grumblings of overly-online Smash fans.

But then on the flip side there's Rayman in Japan, where Rayman Legends debuted at only 1,500 copies sold. That's even worse than how Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. did, which, as much as I personally love it, is considered to be a financial flop.

Rayman isn't just controversial or unpopular. He outright bombed there.
Or maybe we oughta start taking a closer look at Codename STEAM's true likelihood. 🤨

7NATOR

Smash Master

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
You should read this thread

SMT V protag is the final fighter and I can basically prove it - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

SMT V protag is the final fighter and I can basically prove it - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (gamespot.com)

Someone on Smashfaqs is really adamant about SMT V being the final fighter, and wrote write up as to why. the write ups can be long winded, but maybe you have interest in it or something
The first sentence is about them being wrong last time. 10/10.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Hold up now
The whole bonus fighter thing is hardly confirmed, but even as someone with no great interest in either - Skylanders was a pretty huge moment in gaming history and those two have rather huge legacies too.

Essentially you cover the childhoods of up to two-thirds of the audience. It would also mean negotiating with a Western company for two characters and effectively three franchises, which might be a lot more appealing. Currently Microsoft is the only Western third party and they seem to have negotiated for two.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Skylanders was a pretty huge moment in gaming history and those two have rather huge legacies too.
Skylanders came out and the ten year-olds of the era, such as myself, loved it. And then it disappeared with such little of a trace that I'm wondering if its existence was a Mandela effect.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Someone on Smashfaqs is really adamant about SMT V being the final fighter, and wrote write up as to why. the write ups can be long winded, but maybe you have interest in it or something
hahaha, I somehow doubt that in the Fall of 2019, Nintendo decided to add a character where the only thing we've seen of him thus far is the back of his head:

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Skylanders came out and the ten year-olds of the era, such as myself, loved it. And then it disappeared with such little of a trace that I'm wondering if its existence was a Mandela effect.
That honestly sounds like the type of franchise that would have it's fanbase freak out to get something to represent it in Smash Bros.

Is there a franchise logo that Crash and Spyro could share as nod to it?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ya know
Skylanders has its 10th anniversay coming up
I'd love to see a remake of the 1st game (Preferably over a remaster)
If our last fighter's either Crash or Spyro, that could tie in quite nicely

Crash's 25th anniversary date is September 9, close enough to the Skylanders 10th anniversary date, October 12, so maybe..? idk

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

I’ve read them, and they are interesting but they do veer into less realistic points of view and scenarios, such as “SMT V Protag was actually the first DLC character chosen” and “Nintendo is actively pushing SMT V as a big master plan that they have concoted with Sakurai and Atlus to take over the Tri-State Area”
If we treat SMT V protag like any other character (aka probably locked in around Summer 2019), the situation becomes a lot more sober and arguments like Persona not including SMT elements so Sakurai can personally checkmate us into buying SMT V become more driven by hope.
Still, what remains is a plausible candidate for a timing-based pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom