• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
the only reason he fell off our radar is because he's become a villain since the second game,
It's more like thinking it had to be Heihachi or bust, due to Sakurai saying he wanted him, his cameo in Pac-Man's taunt, and Heihachi being the one who got the Mii costume. And Heihachi's spent even more time as an antagonist!

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
A western character huh? Color Theory? A shooter rep?

Carl Johnson from GTA.
Inb4 RGFS pops up

Also,

It's not unlikely
Rockstar could easily be hiding under our noses.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
How popular are Warcraft, Starcraft, or Diablo in Japan? I would personally love a character from one of those games and I know they have been very popular overall I just never really knew about Japan specifically.
Diablo got amiibo, so it could be popular over there, I don't know.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Every single character: "hey rookie, this is Ultimate, you can't just wavedash!"

Kazuya:

View attachment 319768
Not going to lie, the Crouch Dash and 10 Hit Combo are my favorite things about Kazuya. I think I'm going to have to ditch one of my secondaries (probably Dedede) for him.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Arcanir Arcanir

LET'S GOOOOO!

Yeah, it shouldn't be as exciting since it's Teppen, a card game, but still, Breath of Fire III! And they look so nice too! With Ryu, Nina and Myria side-by-side with Fatalis and Astalos! Awesome!
There wasn't a character announced, so I'm assuming Ryu or Nina is going to be an EX-Skin, since the Trailer for the new Teppen set has a remix of "Everyday Battle" in the style of Teppen's music for the Player characters and Phoenix Wright, another EX-Skin. Yeah, the EX-Skin is going to be behind a RNG paywall sadly, so here's hoping they will do an EX-Skin giveaway on their Soul Shop at some point, since they did give players a random skin for free at one point.

Yeah, it's not Marvel vs Capcom or another Capcom fighting game that they are appearing in, but still really good to see Breath of Fire appear in a crossover and hopefully the extra attention will help them for a Capcom fighting game someday.
RYU!!!!
I love BOF3. Best RPG ever made. People can fight me on that. It is my absolute favorite. Seeing them again is super hype. Wont play the game. I do not do Gacha or mobile gaming. but I will save the art for sure. Lets get this guy in smash!!

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Diablo got amiibo, so it could be popular over there, I don't know.
I'm trying to find official evidence, but let me lay out some stuff
Diablo got a Switch bundle. That's big.
HOWEVER, someone on GameFAQs said that the Loot Goblin amiibo never released in Japan.
I'm currently trying to find official evidence of this, so give me time. If it's true, it could hurt Diablo's chances a bit.

Edit: Yep: It's a GameStop exclusive, only in the United States.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Banjo outsold Persona 5 in Japan. As much as I'd love to use Banjo as a boom to western characters, I hate seeing people downplay his worldwide appeal.

Hell, Joker is a primarily western appeal character since P5 sold much better outside of Japan and he was revealed at the Game Awards of all places.
They haven't given a source for the numbers though. Where can we find the information they've given us?

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Y'all keep speculating with these safe as hell picks when this whole pass has had characters nobody thought would get in for one reason or another.

I don't think that's gonna change with the last character. Think further beyond the popular demand.
I did predict a Bamco & Sega rep each for the last two prior to their reveals, what I got wrong was the specifics (Originally predicted Dark Souls, Tekken was under the radar for me because of the costume).
Arle was my other choice, but now that so many precedents are broken my hopes for Shadow have increased even further, since he makes too much sense as our last fighter and is often overlooked.
Not exactly what you would call ''safe'', but most people would've called you insane for predicting Kazuya or Sephiroth before. And considering how Smash fans suddenly think Tails & Eggman are the Sonic frontrunners, I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to surprise us (he does like edgy chars after all).

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
By fat do you mean "probably all the Square and Konami content"?
Oh, no. By fat, I mean characters like Corrin, Dr. Mario, some Pokemon, or even Piranha Plant. Characters who aren't necessary and kind of forgotten but I still like having on the roster a lot. The unique series in my opinion aren't the fat at all since they stand on their own pretty well by expanding the crossover and don't feel like they take up much space.

He still has the lack of Japanese popularity to deal with, and Ezio is really popular in Japan to the point where he made a guest appearance in Soul Calibur 5.
I love the Mii Costume we got and I like seeing the series in Smash but man I would actually be a tad annoyed if Assassin's Creed was our next Action-Adventure Open World fighter. Ubisoft is usually the worst when it comes to building open world games and pumping out way too many so seeing them get in first over any of the other much better ones would be really weird. I'd rather see Rayman get in for that reason alone despite already playing Assassin's Creed a decent amount and never touching Rayman.

Yeah, and the only Western characters we've gotten so far were both from Microsoft, who have been friends with Nintendo recently, and one was considered an honorary Nintendo character and the other hailed from the best selling game ever.
That's ignoring spirits and Mii Costumes though. We've got plenty of western representation that way.

Sure the CSS could get a little more western representation I guess but I really am starting to doubt it a little either way. Maybe the next one could be from the second best-selling game ever which also happens to be the highest-grossing entertainment product ever? Minecraft wasn't even number 2 when it was considered for Smash years ago.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
If Rayman is CP11, then he can't hurt japanese sales of FP2 and Smash because if the rest of the game or the fighter pass didn't entice specific demographics of japanese customers enough, then they were never going to buy the game or pass anyway no matter who the final character was.
Exactly.
That's why I previously argued that ending on a Western character, whether it has a massive Japanese fanbase or not, would still be a good marketing move.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I would like to point out that talks of Steve in Smash could had happened before Minecraft got on the Wii U, thus before Nintendo and Microsoft started a partnership of sorts. They say talks stafted in 2015, but Minecraft wasn't on the Wii U until December of 2015, and Microsoft bought Minecraft in late 2014.

I was going to make a point here, but I forgot.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Inb4 RGFS pops up

Also,

It's not unlikely
Rockstar could easily be hiding under our noses.
Ha! I didn't even read this part before I decided to comment on something else. I swear it's fate...

We still could get one 2010s character if that tournament event is being purposely held back. We still haven't gotten another Rated M character since Joker years ago now. GTAV and RDRII did great in Japan let alone the rest of the world. The games are critically acclaimed. The maturity can and has been toned down for characters who are just as mature. GTAV is re-releasing later this year. GTAIII's anniversary is coming up around the same time. A Switch port could line up with all of that. And the mechanics of having a gunner-based moveset with reloading could bode well for how unique and different the fighters in this pass have mostly been.

The one thing probably truly holding Rockstar Games back from Smash is how they've never done any sort of crossover content, they'll crossover their own series or do something with big real-life brands but they've never had their characters shown up in other video games, I think that isn't an accident considering how reclusive and secretive Rockstar is in general

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
If Rayman is CP11, then he can't hurt japanese sales of FP2 and Smash because if the rest of the game or the fighter pass didn't entice specific demographics of japanese customers enough, then they were never going to buy the game or pass anyway no matter who the final character was.
If Rayman were CP11, then I'd find it kinda funny if that iceberg is just a decoy/red herring he set up, and he instead shows up in a different way. XD

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Arcanir Arcanir

LET'S GOOOOO!

Yeah, it shouldn't be as exciting since it's Teppen, a card game, but still, Breath of Fire III! And they look so nice too! With Ryu, Nina and Myria side-by-side with Fatalis and Astalos! Awesome!
There wasn't a character announced, so I'm assuming Ryu or Nina is going to be an EX-Skin, since the Trailer for the new Teppen set has a remix of "Everyday Battle" in the style of Teppen's music for the Player characters and Phoenix Wright, another EX-Skin. Yeah, the EX-Skin is going to be behind a RNG paywall sadly, so here's hoping they will do an EX-Skin giveaway on their Soul Shop at some point, since they did give players a random skin for free at one point.

Yeah, it's not Marvel vs Capcom or another Capcom fighting game that they are appearing in, but still really good to see Breath of Fire appear in a crossover and hopefully the extra attention will help them for a Capcom fighting game someday.
Just saw your post over at the Social!

I'm so excited to see this! I know it may just be skins as you said, but watching that trailer, listening to the music, and seeing the characters and clips from BoF3 (my favorite game out of the series) was still amazing to me. I haven't really played Teppen, but honestly this makes me want to pick it up just to play as these characters again in any way, and the fact they come along with Fatty, Astalos, and the Monster Riders is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ha! I didn't even read this part before I decided to comment on something else. I swear it's fate...

We still could get one 2010s character if that tournament event is being purposely held back. We still haven't gotten another Rated M character since Joker years ago now. GTAV and RDRII did great in Japan let alone the rest of the world. The games are critically acclaimed. The maturity can and has been toned down for characters who are just as mature. GTAV is re-releasing later this year. GTAIII's anniversary is coming up around the same time. A Switch port could line up with all of that. And the mechanics of having a gunner-based moveset with reloading could bode well for how unique and different the fighters in this pass have mostly been.

The one thing probably truly holding Rockstar Games back from Smash is how they've never done any sort of crossover content, they'll crossover their own series or do something with big real-life brands but they've never had their characters shown up in other video games, I think that isn't an accident considering how reclusive and secretive Rockstar is in general
Maybe Smash will be it's first crossover? ; )
LMAO DUDE I LOOKED THIS UP FOR FUN AND LOOK AT THE FIRST IMAGE IN THE ARTICLE

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I would like to point out that talks of Steve in Smash could had happened before Minecraft got on the Wii U, thus before Nintendo and Microsoft started a partnership of sorts. They say talks stafted in 2015, but Minecraft wasn't on the Wii U until December of 2015, and Microsoft bought Minecraft in late 2014.

I was going to make a point here, but I forgot.
I imagine Nintendo was negiotating with MS to get Minecraft on their platforms and also get it in Smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway, my final predictions for the final fighter

if it’s third party, it’ll be a League of Legends champion, most likely Ahri (stars in Ruined King), Ekko (stars in CONV/RGENCE) or Jinx (face of Wild Rift app, one of the focuses of the upcoming ARCANE Netflix series). Though, I’m lately not as confident in them unless Ultimate gets a China release with all DLC on cart, or even an expanded version. And LoL’s maybe TOO big of a deal to end on, just like Master Chief. It could also be a double dip but not the one you’re expecting - Neku from TWEWY, or even Violet from P5R (as per the “Jane” in Joker’s file) Violet, Neku and various LoL peeps have figurines too, but if it was a third party I’m leaning more to LoL and I’m not even sure CP11 will be third party in the first place.

if it’s first party, it’ll be a Splatoon character. Coincidentally (not intentionally) Ultimate started with Splatoon and it’ll end with it. Either Octoling with a fully unique move set, or if you wanna be adventurous, Off the Hook (Pearl & Marina). Would fit with Figure Theory too (Octoling if Amiibo count, Off the Hook if Amiibo don’t count since OtH has a Figma)

IF, I repeat, IF there is a bonus, it’ll be only one, first party, and individual DLC like Piranha Plant. Meaning no stage or Spirit Board (could bring one song max like how the Cuphead and Sans Miis did). Candidates include Dixie Kong, a new Kirby rep, a new Pokémon, an Astral Chain character inb4 Jena Anderson as she wasn’t in the Spirit Event, an AT promotion like Waluigi, Isaac or Ashley; and yes, Elma.

bam, lock it in, this is what I’m betting on

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
When speaking of characters with "more Western appeal", we have to note that the ones in Ultimate are still not total nobody's in Japan. Banjo-Kazooie was essentially a Nintendo creation with Rare at the time, it sold over 400k in Japan, they ought to have their own share of nostalgic fans too. Steve & Minecraft are as big in Japan as anywhere in the world, with the Switch version being one of the best selling third party titles in Japan with almost 2mil sold and the Wii U version also doing over 300k. Then there's Ridley, Dark Samus etc. often cited having more Western appeal, but they're Nintendo characters.

So while more "Western picks" would be cool, I feel like even those choices have (or have to have) some type of Japan-bias in them, either having sold well there or having some other value (nostalgia, impact in gaming or something). I'd be happy to be wrong though and get a full-on Western pick.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
So since Kazuya is likely releasing on the 28th or the day after, when do you think we will get CP11? September or October?

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Maybe Smash will be it's first crossover? ; )
LMAO DUDE I LOOKED THIS UP FOR FUN AND LOOK AT THE FIRST IMAGE IN THE ARTICLE
Nice! Tbh, I could see it being the first crossover if Rockstar does have something to gain. The series and company are on top of the world right alongside Minecraft. The article does make a good point as to why crossovers haven't materialized.

Tinfoil hat time! I could see Rockstar Games actually benefiting from Smash in a way they wouldn't from other crossovers actually. GTA has only seen a few games on Nintendo handhelds GTA 1, 2, Advance, and Chinatown Wars. However, with them being top-down titles, Strictly-Nintendo players don't really have the attachment or much experience with the GTA series in general. GTA getting into Smash could be the perfect way to tie in with a GTAV and GTAIII Switch port happening. Nintendo gets the attention from doing something this big while Rockstar gets put in the spotlight for Nintendo fans to try out the games getting ported.

Nintendo has a solid relationship with Take-Two who owns Rockstar Games. When Rockstar re-released LA Noire, it came with a Switch port back in 2017, for all we know, talks for Smash started all the way back then for something. LA Noire on Switch sold well so I find it odd GTAV isn't being talked about for Switch. Maybe they're waiting for the rumored Switch Pro to say anything? Maybe they're waiting for the Smash announcement to even mention the Switch Port?!?! 0_o Rockstar is one to tweet out earth-shattering news casually so a Smash reveal for a Rockstar character wouldn't even need a big event.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Personally, I'm betting on a first party for the last spot... but if it was a third party, I'd look towards a company we already have on board. Mainly Sega or Capcom.

For Sega, I'd look to Puyo Puyo or PSO2. They're still somewhat big compared to other Sega IPs, and I feel like they're just right on their worldwide popularity for the last spot. I'd say SMT too, but the problem is that SMTV launches in October, which is kind of a short development window. Not to mention, every single time we had a character picked before their release (or worldwide release), it was a first party.

Sure, they could go with Demi-Fiend and other SMT protags, but with the latest installment right around the corner, it woulld be like having Hero without the DQXIS alt. Which is kind of a shame because SMTV protag's hair is glorious.

Yakuza... call it a hunch, but I'm not too confident in Kiryu in general. Gut feeling, is all.

For Capcom, we're between Devil May Cry or Ace Attorney, and I'd place my bets on Phoenix. Dante, at this point, feels like a big enough fan request that I think they wouldn't leave him for last if he was part of the Pass.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
if it’s third party, it’ll be a League of Legends champion, most likely Ahri (stars in Ruined King), Ekko (stars in CONV/RGENCE) or Jinx (face of Wild Rift app, one of the focuses of the upcoming ARCANE Netflix series). Though, I’m lately not as confident in them unless Ultimate gets a China release with all DLC on cart, or even an expanded version.
If we get a Hollow Knight Mii Costume with a Sealed Vessel remix, hold on to the LoL character prediction for sure.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s a list of my most wanted western characters:

Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
Diablo (Diablo)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Raziel (Soul Reaver)
Death (Darksiders)
Gaige (Borderlands)

I’m not really sure how likely any of these are but I feel like at least some of these characters would make sense for Smash.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
I must admit, between the odd stuff with the website and the fact E3 wasn't a double reveal... a part of me suspects a bonus character, but that is the only prediction that I have left

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I must admit, between the odd stuff with the website and the fact E3 wasn't a double reveal... a part of me suspects a bonus character, but that is the only prediction that I have left

I say this as a huge Waluigi supporter, there is no "bonus fighter" he's either CP11 or nothing.

I feel like people fabricated this whole idea of a "bonus fighter" cause it gave them hope that Waluigi could be added as playable since they somehow believe he can't have a stage, spirits and music out of the countless Mario games he's been in.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So since Kazuya is likely releasing on the 28th or the day after, when do you think we will get CP11? September or October?
Next year's E3...

But we get four additional characters with Challenger pack 11, all unique!

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
The lack of a double reveal at E3 makes me heavily doubt a bonus character. The bonus would've made way more sense if that became their final chance during the holiday time to have some new news regarding Smash Ultimate. Now that they still have CP11 to announce during final stretch of 2021 for the sake of marketing, so I doubt they are actually holding onto some secret fighter.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
What if CP11 and the bonus fighter are both coming, but the only reason a double reveal at E3 didn't happen is because they want to hold back CP11 a bit so that they could make more progress on the bonus fighter?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Just saw your post over at the Social!

I'm so excited to see this! I know it may just be skins as you said, but watching that trailer, listening to the music, and seeing the characters and clips from BoF3 (my favorite game out of the series) was still amazing to me. I haven't really played Teppen, but honestly this makes me want to pick it up just to play as these characters again in any way, and the fact they come along with Fatty, Astalos, and the Monster Riders is just icing on the cake.
It's a decent game. And the 16 characters currently are decently spread-out for the most part, with:
  • SF Ryu, Rathalos, Jill, and Amaterasu for Red.
  • Chun-Li, Megaman X, Nero and Felyne for Green.
  • Morrigan, Dante, Zero and Ada Wong for Purple.
  • Wesker, Nergigante, Akuma and Oichi(from Sengoku Basara) for Black.
It's a good selection of characters, and the cards themselves aren't that hard to get, which is nice when the Meta constantly changes when a new card pack comes. It's also very fast-paced and matches don't last longer than 5 minutes. That said, it does have a heavy focus on PVP and it can be easy to feel overwhelmed by some decks, especially Red and Black. And it's probably best to wait until the new pack comes since the Meta very often changes when a new card pack comes out.
But anyway, as mentioned, skins are stuck behind an RNG paywall and they are absolutely not easy to get. Even when Evil Ryu used to be on a F2P Pack before going to the P2P Pack, I still didn't get him with 207 Packs. Since there hasn't been a confirmed new character yet, BoF Ryu will more than likely be an EX-Skin like Phoenix Wright and he will be stuck behind a Pack that has to be payed for.
And buying the stuff for them is not cheap. Even most of their "Special Deal" packs are over $70-$80, over $100 if you're Canadian like me. Like when it comes to just the Cards and whatnot, it's honestly good at being F2P friendly. But the skins are a very different story.
The only potential grace is that they have given players a random Skin on their 1st Anniversary and some skins can be gotten from the Soul Store(the currency used to make Cards), but so far, they've only done the "Alternate Color" skins on there and haven't done so for EX-Skins. They have done special deals for some stuff on the Souls store, so it's not impossible for EX-Skins to appear, but so far, they haven't done so yet.

Edit: Oh, and the music is pretty good too. And it gives you the choice of either hearing your character's theme or the Opponent's theme. So that's nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom