• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's weird, nearly all of the FP1 picks weren't enough to get me hooked on the DLC, those characters just kinda existed to me. Nothing compared to the absolute bombshell that FP2 has been, with nearly everyone being characters I like (bar Min Min, I don't hate her but I'm not familiar with her game) or that I actively wanted.
In my case, I haven't really gotten a "Banjo" or "Terry" in pass 2. The last two fighters have been the closest they've come, but even then I'd still prefer Rex and Jin.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Given tekken assigns buttons to limbs. wonder if they will do the same with A and B. If they turn the B button into a kick button for example, then we would have a character who can dial a combo. Press A B and then A to attack.
Press AB together and a direction to throw. or just press Z.
Oh wow that's a interesting idea and I think you're on to something. You wouldn't even need to be an experienced Tekken player to adapt that kind of fight style. You just mentally assign punches to A and kicks to B and that would work. Would his devil/demon/whatever he turns into attacks be smash attacks?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
this was pretty much my reaction when I got Sephiroth
I'm more of a MK and MvC fan before Tekken, but this was a huge W for the fighting game community and I'm glad they went with this pick (even if I would've slightly preferred Jin, both Namco & Tekken deserved a rep).
It's weird, nearly all of the FP1 picks weren't enough to get me hooked on the DLC, those characters just kinda existed to me. Nothing compared to the absolute bombshell that FP2 has been, with nearly everyone being characters I like (bar Min Min, I don't hate her but I'm not familiar with her game) or that I actively wanted. Best Smash game I've ever played, period.
I’d say the two DLC characters that really got me hyped were Sephiroth and Joker. I’ve also played and really liked Banjo Kazooie, Dragon Quest 11, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Xenoblade 2 but I never cared all that much whether they got a character (although Nia, Jade, or Dimitri would have been hype for me). The only DLC character I actively dislike is Steve but even then I’m fine with his inclusion because I know a lot of people love Minecraft. Overall, I’m really happy with the DLC even if there were only two characters that were on my most wanted list.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
With Min Min, Pyra/Mythra, and Kazuya, they've pretty much made it clear that the choice that makes the most sense won't always make the cut. How do you guys feel about that and what other games and series do you think that will happen with (aside from Tales because we've pretty much exhausted that topic)?
Undertale. Everyone is saying they’d go with Frisk, but I can see Papyrus sneaking in & becoming the fighter instead.

Technomage

Smash Champion
You know, with all almost said and done, I'm still a little outraged we don't have a Tetris stage.

It'd never happen, but imagine a weird world where we get a Stage Pass DLC. What stages would you want? Series without potential fighters get bonus points.
A R.O.B. stage
Bowser's Castle
Pac-Maze
Pyrosphere (with the Ridley stage boss)
A Dr. Mario stage
A Tetris stage
A sports-themed stage (maybe a football stage that isn't Madden, since that's not eligible)
Clanker's Cavern (because swimming in poop water is hilarious)

Spatman

Smash Ace
I think you're too focused on the example given in the specific tweet, again, it's a thread and it brings up CastleVania not being in the top 70 best selling NES games yet despite that people will act like CastleVania was a must have on the NES whereas games like Hydlide, Ice Climber, Kid Icarus all having done better than the NES games yet being seen as significantly more obscure. Those were all on the same system too so attachment rates among consoles aren't a factor
Castlevania has a lot of games, they are generally considered from good games to masterpieces, whereas IC has only one game that is from NES era and KI just a little more than that; and about Hydlide: it's the first time I hear this name in all my life (and I'm definitely not that young...).
So, yeah, they are all much more obscure than Castlevania, and this without considering how much Castlevania has influences in the pop culture and in videogames history, leaving aside sales itself.

That twitter topic could maybe seem charming at first glance, but actually doesn't hold much water...

Technomage

Smash Champion
But you're going to miss out on people arguing over nothing but Crash and Pokemon, using only the subjective interpretations of "disappointing last reveals" non-stop for months.
Don't forget the funny jokes people make, like the ones involving the Horny Jail meme. XD

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Oh wow that's a interesting idea and I think you're on to something. You wouldn't even need to be an experienced Tekken player to adapt that kind of fight style. You just mentally assign punches to A and kicks to B and that would work. Would his devil/demon/whatever he turns into attacks be smash attacks?
Thinking, If this was what they did. I would assume it would be assigning them to smash attacks. That Up b looking move could be a quick up smash attack.
but it is just a thought.

Ornl

Smash Ace
So I just realized that every FP2 character so far is a human of some kind
Would be neat for the pass to end on a non-human character.

• Thanks to Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft for giving 8 non-full male fighters – with female or non-gender representation (100% about Microsoft and Nintendo)
Since Sm4sh, it seems that Nintendo specifically wanted to add females. This is something that Smash struggles to get from 3rd-party.
:ultrosalina::ultwendy::ultdaisy::ultpokemontrainerf::ultrobinf::ultcorrinf::ultlucina::ultbylethf::ultpalutena::ultvillagerf::ultisabelle::ultwiifittrainer::ultinkling::ultminmin:ultpyra: - :ultbayonetta::ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:
Since Bayonetta, all the full female DLC are Nintendo reps from JRPGs and fighting games.
There is no full male hero (non-vilain) since Terry.
All the full male DLC are JRPGs or fighting games rep.
A full male newcomer from another genre would be unique and different.

• Thanks to Nintendo and Microsoft for giving 4 toon (non-manga) fighters (with Min-Min and 100% about Microsoft). They add a lot of colors.
There are no Japanese third-party toon rep in DLCs. 👾

• Thanks to Nintendo and Microsoft for giving 2 non-human* fighters.
*"human" word means "with a human graphic appearance or physical representation".
There are no non-human newcomer since Banjo-Kazooie.
There are no Japanese non-human newcomer since Piranha Plant.
A non-human newcomer would be unique and different in this Fighter Pass
:pokeroll:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Castlevania has a lot of games, they are generally considered from good games to masterpieces, whereas IC has only one game that is from NES era and KI just a little more than that; and about Hydlide: it's the first time I hear this name in all my life (and I'm definitely not that young...).
So, yeah, they are all much more obscure than Castlevania, and this without considering how much Castlevania has influences in the pop culture and in videogames history, leaving aside sales itself.

That twitter topic could maybe seem charming at first glance, but actually doesn't hold much water...
I know about Hydlide from AVGN and ProJared.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
A non-human would be nice. I suppose Steve is TECHNICALLY a human, but design-wise he's more like a creature from an alternate dimension to me. Lol

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Anyone else besides me think Rayman's chances have gone up?
Non-human, would be neat.
We got Ubisoft costumes in Wave 5, a bit after the FP2 content was decided on.
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope strengthens the Ubisoft/Nintendo relationship
By some patterns...
Rayman fits purple
We've yet to introduce a full new company, particularly parent company, in Pass 2 (I say parent company because Microsoft is Mojang's parent company)
Using Backseat Game Development's statistics, our last fighter should have 4 fingers, and Rayman's got 4 fingers. (Broad af, I know lmao)

Yea.. things are looking alright for him. I'm NOT gonna lock him in as my prediction but yea.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
By some patterns...
Rayman fits purple
We've yet to introduce a full new company, particularly parent company, in Pass 2 (I say parent company because Microsoft is Mojang's parent company)
Using Backseat Game Development's statistics, our last fighter should have 4 fingers, and Rayman's got 4 fingers. (Broad af, I know lmao)

Yea.. things are looking alright for him. I'm NOT gonna lock him in as my prediction but yea.
One thing to note is that despite the fact nothing notable was happening with the Tekken series, Kazuya Mishima was picked over Master Chief who we all thought was happening with all the rumours of Microsoft and Nintendo collaborating together and Halo Infinite.

Sometimes it's not all about what a game series is doing, maybe it's sometimes about what a series is not doing. Maybe the fact that nothing is happening with Rayman is something to look out for.

Last edited:

Playcenter

Smash Rookie
Just saying, Frisk from Undertale could very well be Challenger Pack 11 now that we know Mii Costumes don't deconfirm franchises.
They have quite a lot going for them:

No Spirit Event, which is odd considering Cuphead got one and Toby was in Sakurai's HOUSE
Would be a great first indie rep
Undertale appeals to both West and Japan
Perfect way to promote Deltarune
Toby has a good relationship with Nintendo AND Sakurai
One of the main things Sakurai asks himself is if the character represents their game properly, Frisk would 100% do that better than Sans
And indie characters must be easier to get in the game than regular characters owned by companies
BUT it could be anyone and I'm just flat out wrong lmao

Gengar84

Smash Hero
By some patterns...
Rayman fits purple

I have no idea at this point but that does make some sense. I don’t particularly want Rayman but I guess I’d be okay with him.

I honestly think the Battletoads have a lot going for them too but it might just be my bias.
  • One of the background theories was green
  • Phil Spencer has been hinting at something with Nintendo with the Switch on his desk in the background
  • Both Master Chief and Doomguy have been essentially disconfirmed due to developer interviews (the other two green MS characters)
  • Rash has recently been featured in promotional images and had a new game semi recently
  • We still don’t really have a retro NES character as DLC yet and Hyabusa is looking unlikely for the same reason as Chief and Doomguy
  • RARE has a very important history with Nintendo and Battletoads was their first breakout hit

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
By some patterns...
Rayman fits purple

It would now bring a lot of diversity. But it hard to me to imagine that a French character (cocorico) would be the ultimate choice to complete Ultimate. I think his Spirit was already an excellent honorary title.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Arcanir Arcanir

LET'S GOOOOO!

Yeah, it shouldn't be as exciting since it's Teppen, a card game, but still, Breath of Fire III! And they look so nice too! With Ryu, Nina and Myria side-by-side with Fatalis and Astalos! Awesome!
There wasn't a character announced, so I'm assuming Ryu or Nina is going to be an EX-Skin, since the Trailer for the new Teppen set has a remix of "Everyday Battle" in the style of Teppen's music for the Player characters and Phoenix Wright, another EX-Skin. Yeah, the EX-Skin is going to be behind a RNG paywall sadly, so here's hoping they will do an EX-Skin giveaway on their Soul Shop at some point, since they did give players a random skin for free at one point.

Yeah, it's not Marvel vs Capcom or another Capcom fighting game that they are appearing in, but still really good to see Breath of Fire appear in a crossover and hopefully the extra attention will help them for a Capcom fighting game someday.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Here's the thing

So Vault Boy, right?
Cuphead got Mii'd and then that series got a spirit event, too.
Undertale not getting one could certainly point to a playable Frisk.

But a playable Fallout protag or something?
Why couldn't Fallout get an event, too?

Playcenter

Smash Rookie
ALSO, Frisk fits some tin-foil hat theories out there, like
The "Fighter Pass 2 is giving second chances to franchises" theory
The purple background theory
The "CP11 will be two characters (Frisk/Chara) and won't have voice lines" one
etc etc.

It just makes sense, u know?

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
10 more days til Kazuya presumably drops after his presentation.

Then, we have about 2 months til September, since June's basically over by that point.

Yeah, I'm going into Speculation Hibernation once Kazuya's out, lol.
Legit, y'all are probably only gonna see me in the Social Thread, lol.

I'm just too worn out on Speculation to be in this thread at all times. Trying to guess who's gonna be in wahoo punch game for three years will do that to ya, lol.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I’d say the two DLC characters that really got me hyped were Sephiroth and Joker. I’ve also played and really liked Banjo Kazooie, Dragon Quest 11, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Xenoblade 2 but I never cared all that much whether they got a character (although Nia, Jade, or Dimitri would have been hype for me). The only DLC character I actively dislike is Steve but even then I’m fine with his inclusion because I know a lot of people love Minecraft. Overall, I’m really happy with the DLC even if there were only two characters that were on my most wanted list.
Wow, ONLY two! Hahaha
There are many people who didn't have even one of their most wanted. I still hope one day I will try too the feeling of watching one of your most wanted revealed in a trailer...

Until now, the nearest to that sensation was Mewtwo's reveal, but that was a veteran returning character, not a newcomer, and somewhat was almost granted its return, at least for me. Yet it was a brilliant moment! Even if I had to wait several months before seeing its trailer, the reveal itself and the teaser was enough to feel so much joy. It's so weird to note that almost 7 years passed after that moment.
And that the Goddess-of-Luck-about-having-their-own-mostwanted-revealed-in-Smash never smiled to me again, even though my most most wanted is theorically a very overdued character and the other ones are still very famous and relevant characters.

Neverthless, I liked many new and returning characters in these years: not too much from Smash 4 (which had the worst newcomers selection of all smashes by far, for me), but with Ultimate the likes of Ridley, K Rool, Inkling of course, the Belmonts, Banjo and Sephiroth surely gave me something. Also Plant was a very funny surprise, and other characters I don't actually love, still are very nice colors to be added to the Smash picture, like Joker, Hero, Steve and Min Min. Instead I found Pyra/Mithra a very bland addition, but still a character actually funny to play, gameplay-wise

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
10 more days til Kazuya presumably drops after his presentation.
I was kind of confused by these statements because I thought the thing was next month, but I've recently found out that I just don't know how to read a calendar.

My brain's immediate thought when finding out this information: "POG!"

...You people have infected me.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Speaking of Rayman and Croc, a PS1 game, selling just as much as Banjo, Rayman was the highest selling PS1 game in the UK. It's literally the game that put Ubisoft on the map and allowed them to become the juggernaut they are to this day. People like to forget the legacy of something just because it hasn't been around in recent times. Hell, the series still outsells the Rabbids series that supposedly usurped him.

Dance.gif

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Speaking of Rayman and Croc, a PS1 game, selling just as much as Banjo, Rayman was the highest selling PS1 game in the UK. It's literally the game that put Ubisoft on the map and allowed them to become the juggernaut they are to this day. People like to forget the legacy of something just because it hasn't been around in recent times. Hell, the series still outsells the Rabbids series that supposedly usurped him.

View attachment 319825
Rayman doesn't have a crossover franchise with Mario. The Rabbids do. Rayman is also very unpopular in Japan, and if Ubisoft gets a rep now I expect it to be Ezio from Assassin's Creed 2.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I think that, for variety sake, a non humanoid character could have its chance, for the last slot.

Well, to not break too much the leitmotiv of this pass let's do that is not a human but still something near to it, like for example, mmm, a primate.
Then, since Smash has still a roster severely unbalanced toward male reps, let's choose a female one.

And mmm, since Nintendo seems to like this color for their characters hair, let's say she will have blond and long hair.

Oh, and since there is the rule we can't end on a megaton of hype character, we should choose a first party character, maybe from an already represented series, which still can provide many contents in terms of songs and spirits table, and moreover a series that is still active and it's very likely will have a new game next year, so it can also be an advertising/shilling character, like all revealed-at-the-end-of-a-dlc-cycle character.

Ok, but WHO should we pick? Mmm, some ideas anyone?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I love how when you repeat things enough they become unironic.
Lol yeah it is a bit of a stretch to use a unconfirmed guess as actual evidence but there isn’t really much to work with as far as speculation goes. Even if you ignore the green background, I think they still have enough in their favor to at least keep an eye on them. Anything is possible and there are so many potential characters that I can never really be too confident in any particular character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think that, for variety sake, a non humanoid character could have its chance, for the last slot.

Well, to not break too much the leitmotiv of this pass let's do that is not a human but still something near to it, like for example, mmm, a primate.
Then, since Smash has still a roster severely unbalanced toward male reps, let's choose a female one.

And mmm, since Nintendo seems to like this color for their characters hair, let's say she will have blond and long hair.

Oh, and since there is the rule we can't end on a megaton of hype character, we should choose a first party character, maybe from an already represented series, which still can provide many contents in terms of songs and spirits table, and moreover a series that is still active and it's very likely will be a new game next year, so it can also be an advertising/shilling character, like all revealed-at-the-end-of-a-dlc-cycle character.

Ooh! Ooh! I know! It's Candy Kong!

Technomage

Smash Champion

Oh, and since there is the rule we can't end on a megaton of hype character, we should choose a first party character, maybe from an already represented series, which still can provide many contents in terms of songs and spirits table, and moreover a series that is still active and it's very likely will be a new game next year, so it can also be an advertising/shilling character, like all revealed-at-the-end-of-a-dlc-cycle character.

Lemme guess: Dixie?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If I can be confident in anything at this point, it’s that the last character is probably someone who isn’t really on many people’s radar. We’ve gotten several characters at this point that no one really expected and I can totally see that happening again. The Battletoads also fit this but so do hundreds of other characters so it really isn’t that strong a point in their favor.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Rayman doesn't have a crossover franchise with Mario. The Rabbids do. Rayman is also very unpopular in Japan, and if Ubisoft gets a rep now I expect it to be Ezio from Assassin's Creed 2.
How many third parties in Smash have had a crossover with Mario outside of Smash? Sonic.

How many times have we gotten a smaller series before the bigger series of a company? Mega Man, Pac-Man, Banjo.

Who has Ubisoft themselves been pushing to get into Smash? You guessed it, Rayman.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Y'all gonna look mighty dumb when the last character is Jonesy Fortnite.

But seriously, It's very possible to see Fortnite contend somewhere in the game. Plus, another shooter rep would be nice.
I mean Cortez kind of looks like he'd fit in Fortnite and if I remember correctly, one of the artists who worked on TimeSplitters worked on Fortnite.

I don't know if it's true or not but it could explain some of the similarities and the comic book look of both of the games.

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom