• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Here’s the thing:
I don’t think the characters corresponding to the accounts Harada muted are necessarily deocnfirmed.

That’s all. Though it’s super funny it happened lol

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A fine and respectable choice. MG Rising music in Smash would be a blast, and he would probably bring a few tracks from the classic MGS games as well.

My personal choice, though, would be Alucard.

Too bad Alucard's an assist trophy which I find extremely unlikely to be promoted at this point.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Here’s the thing:
I don’t think the characters corresponding to the accounts Harada muted are necessarily deocnfirmed.

That’s all. Though it’s super funny it happened lol
If you check the followup tweet he straight-up called them terrorists. It's honestly hilarious how salty Harada gets online.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I mean, that’s fair I suppose but marketing would be just as plausible for Hayabusa considering the Master Collection just came out. Which you all should totally go buy.
I just...I can't, dude. I hate those games so much...

Remaster the NES trilogy and I'll buy that!

A fine and respectable choice. MG Rising music in Smash would be a blast, and he would probably bring a few tracks from the classic MGS games as well.

These are ALL GREAT CHOICES!

Alucard, Raiden, Rizer, Bomberman, Goemon...you can't go wrong!

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Out of curiosity - why were the Smash Bros characters thrown off the ledge chosen?
If you notice, they’re all first party characters. So clearly
Nintendo wanted to save money and not have to spend some as they go for third party characters in such trailers.

As for those specific characters, I think they all
Seem to be characters Sakurai likes I guess lol.
I know to an extent he wanted Min Min, he’s a KI fan and developed Uprising, He loves to play around with CF, and he’s a FE fan.
Ganondorf kinda resembles Heihachi too imo.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Bold predictions:
Sol Badguy Mii Swordfighter outfit in This wave

A FNAF outfit could still show up, even with the recent stepping down of Scott Cawthorn.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
That's not how it works.
My initial point still stands. It’d be nice if the next Smash focused more on 1st party additions than bringing in a ton of 3rd party representation. Which is where this back and forth started

Shroob

Sup?
My initial point still stands. It’d be nice if the next Smash focused more on 1st party additions than bringing in a ton of 3rd party representation. Which is where this back and forth started
At this point, honestly this feels more like a business decision from Nintendo irt 1st parties.

All our first party characters are from Switch-Era titles, which is why I have such low confidence in characters that, well, aren't.

It's a two-sided thing, really. On one hand, it's marketing, getting a character in Smash who has a game on the system sells copies, while on the other, it helps Ultimate from feeling too dated. Ultimate only had 3 Switch-Era stages, and 0 Switch-Era characters. not counting Link's redesign, now it has 6 and 4 respectively.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Actually he had said that he had no crossovers in the works, so the likelihood of that is extremely low.
According to FNAF fans, Scott's known to troll, so I wouldn't take this 100% seriously. But who knows.
I guess it depends on if Nintendo is/was interested in a costume or not. Not to mention we've only gotten two indie Mii costumes, being Sans and Cuphead.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I doubt we’l get a FNAF costume - granted I may be swayed by the fact that I don’t want FNAF content in Smash at all, but it never really sat well with me that people saw Sans and Cuphead and decided we’re just gonna get every other viral indie character.

Like, the detail people forget is how Sakurai has directly expressed his love and admiration toward both Undertale and Cuphead. I’m under the impression it was his own idea to reach out to them and make it happen.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I doubt we’l get a FNAF costume - granted I may be swayed by the fact that I don’t want FNAF content in Smash at all, but it never really sat well with me that people saw Sans and Cuphead and decided we’re just gonna get every other viral indie character.

Like, the detail people forget is how Sakurai has directly expressed his love and admiration toward both Undertale and Cuphead. I’m under the impression it was his own idea to reach out to them and make it happen.
And ya know what else he talked about?

..... oh yeah

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
That would be cool because no way he is CP11 after Kazuya's inclusion.
Unfortunately. Sol Badguy would've been beyond sick.

I'm also under the belief that Kazuya kinda disconfirms/heavily damages the chances of any grounded brawler archetypes as well, so I'm not really expecting characters like Kiryu or Axel Stone at this point now, which also sucks major.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There were rumblings that an AW title existed for a while now and was part of the group of cancelled post-Switch 3DS games, and while I'm not sure it was in reference to this one, I always thought AW would return eventually.

It will be interesting to see where Camelot goes after Golf since there will probably be enough time in the Switch's lifespan to pump out one more title, and both the sports games will already be covered. Bringing back games like AW and FDC are auspicious for the prospect of other revivals, but at this point I'm only going to believe in more GS when I see it.

Hopefully these games perform well enough to instill confidence towards gambling on niche IP, but that Golf game probably went gold a few months ago, so whatever Camelot is doing next has presumably already been decided and is in some stage of early development.
I could see them doing a new Mario Baseball. I think they only want to make sports games, and Strikers is a victim of the Wahoominati, leaving Baseball as the only big Mario sports series left.
I'm honestly surprised at how little people know Kazuya, I've been watching a few reactions that are all confusion and then "Oh is this the Tekken guy?"
It really depends what kinda circles you're in. I'm not much of a fighting game guy, so when i saw him i recognized him as from tekken, but I couldn't have given you his name. What little Tekken knowledge I had was centered around Hehachi, because he was the one people thought would be the character. He's a good inclusion, but not one I'm partivularly intrested in.

After we get the last character, Sakurai announces:

"It should be obvious by the clues I've sowed who the three potential bonus characters are; so we're opening a ballot-poll of who you all think are most likely. We will be looking at the top five characters you predict the most, if any of them are predicted within those five you'll get them. IF however you as a community fail, Smash Bros will end on a whimper of your own doing."
Obviously, these are the final three.

Skull Kid - The Chairs
Isaac - the Rathalos pic
Shadow - all the **** 7nator posts

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
After we get the last character, Sakurai announces:

"It should be obvious by the clues I've sowed who the three potential bonus characters are; so we're opening a ballot-poll of who you all think are most likely. We will be looking at the top five characters you predict the most, if any of them are predicted within those five you'll get them. IF however you as a community fail, Smash Bros will end on a whimper of your own doing."
Elma, Ashley, Shantae

Elma cuz there’s still a dearth of X content and the Hiroyuki Sawano project and Caitlin Glass NDA are still unknown

Shantae and Ashley cuz their threads have been consistently active and often at the top

BOOM.

regulus tera

Smash Apprentice

I think Alucard is a shoe in for the next Smash if the collaboration with Konami continues. He's by far one of their most popular characters, and arguably could have been in Ultimate instead of the Belmonts without losing any impact.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think all first-parties are business decisions per say. Incineroar for example was revealed roughly four months before Sword and Shield was revealed. You're telling me Nintendo/TPC wanted to promote SuMo that late?

Based off comments from Sakurai himself, I think the man just likes adding characters from new games as well as old ones. Some franchises like Pokémon, FE, and Xenoblade have a small window before their characters become outdated, so maybe Sakurai sees that as an extra incentive to add a few.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think all first-parties are business decisions per say. Incineroar for example was revealed roughly four months before Sword and Shield was revealed. You're telling me Nintendo/TPC wanted to promote SuMo that late?

Based off comments from Sakurai himself, I think the man just likes adding characters from new games as well as old ones. Some franchises like Pokémon, FE, and Xenoblade have a small window before their characters become outdated, so maybe Sakurai sees that as an extra incentive to add a few.
I don't think all first parties are either.

DLC though? 3/4 feel very "Well it's not 100% business but it doesn't huuuuurt." Like, ARMs had a huge sale spike after Min Min came out, for example. Her main goal was to get ARMs representation in Smash, but she definitely didn't hurt bringing attention to the game either. Granted, they also serve a purpose, as I said before, to help Smash not feel "Dated". Having Byleth, as much as people may groan, gives us a character from 2019, and another Switch character, for example.

And the 1 of those 4 that's different is Plant.... and Plant is.... Plant.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think all first parties are either.

DLC though? 3/4 feel very "Well it's not 100% business but it doesn't huuuuurt." Like, ARMs had a huge sale spike after Min Min came out, for example. Her main goal was to get ARMs representation in Smash, but she definitely didn't hurt bringing attention to the game either. Granted, they also serve a purpose, as I said before, to help Smash not feel "Dated". Having Byleth, as much as people may groan, gives us a character from 2019, and another Switch character, for example.

And the 1 of those 4 that's different is Plant.... and Plant is.... Plant.
Even if Nintendo chose those characters for promotional reasons, Sakurai came out and pretty much admitted that ARMS and XC2 would've gotten a character if there was more time.

So basically, there was a chance we'd get all of these first-parties anyway even if Sakurai directly told us that Nintendo allowed him to choose the DLC. Same characters, but potentially added for different reasons.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Even if Nintendo chose those characters for promotional reasons, Sakurai came out and pretty much admitted that ARMS and XC2 would've gotten a character if there was more time.

So basically, there was a chance we'd get them anyway even if Sakurai directly told us that Nintendo allowed him to choose the DLC. Same characters, but potentially added for different reasons.
No, I agree with you.

Truthfully speaking, I'm still surprised Ring Fit got Spirit Event'd.

7NATOR

Smash Master
All we need now is a humongous analytical post by 7NATOR 7NATOR on how Shadow is the most likely candidate to be the last fighter.

Just kidding, dude. :4pacman:
It may be a joke to some people, but this is also serious Business

There are posts in the Shadow thread about the State of Shadow in FP2 after Kazuya, but here is the General gist of it

Kazuya does more to potentially suggest Shadow then against. Of course there's only one slot left, but the FP2 Fighters were already chosen before we even started speculating on who's in FP2

-The Sonic Mii Costumes can no longer be used as a Definitive argument against Shadow, especially since those costumes were already in a grey area thanks to be the First pack in Fighter Pass 1, compared to Heihachi who was in the first pack in Fighter Pass 2

-It gives more credence to the argument of Shadow over other Sonic characters like Eggman and Tails. Granted the situation with the Mishimas is not the same as the debate with Eggman/Tails/Shadow/Knuckles on who would get in first, but Kazuya was the least mentioned character compared to even Jin and especially Heihachi.

-Showcases how Sakurai loves Edgy characters

-Kazuya showcases how the 3rd party Franchises/Characters being represented in FP2 are bigger than the ones in FP1. Minecraft is bigger than Banjo & Kazooie, Final Fantasy is bigger than Dragon Quest, and Tekken is bigger than Fatal Fury/King of Fighters (I know they aren't same company).

Steve and Kazuya likely had implementation problems, which is why they were probably saved for FP2. In the Case of Sephiroth, Dragon Quest was more relevant during FP1 period with DQ11, while FF7 was more relevant during FP2 era. Plus Dragon Quest is a new franchise compared to FF7

This could be a similar case going on with Joker and Another Sonic character, assuming Sega does get another character, though you could also argue that Joker means another character from a Breakout game in a Franchise could be last character in FP2

To be honest here, If Another Sonic character like Eggman, Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, Amy, Metal Sonic were to be added to the game, they'd be the 2nd most recognizable character in the game (Behind Steve), and perhaps one could argue some of these characters on Similar level.

besides that, on a Merit level, The want for another Sonic character has been one of the more frequent requests for a long time now, Sega is easy on the licensing and down for crossovers, and Characters like Eggman, Tails, Shadow, Knuckles have interesting Gimmicks that would appeal as DLC.

-This is highly Conspiracal , but I had the thought that Sonic could be the answer to the Bonus slot thing, if for some reason we got something like Shadow the Hedgehog, with Metal Sonic being turned into an echo

The Reasons for this theory is that Metal Sonic has been very frequent character, and is also making an appearance in the New release of Sonic Colors Ultimate, which is coming out in September. He'd make sense as a Bonus since he'd be attached to a Challenger pack, which could line up with Sakurai's words on only one more DLC, however if he's echoing Sonic, who's a Base character, there's no weirdness with how he would be given as Bonus DLC

Metal Sonic has his own abilities in Flight, Lasers, Black Shield. however I know that Metal Sonic is meant to Emulate and Surpass Sonic, he has Played like Sonic in many games (though to be honest, who hasn't), and he'd probably wouldn't get in over the Main 4 options. He's work like Dark Samus pretty much, except more relevant

The other Main thing is the situation with Legacy XP and also the PapaGenos evidence thing and how it lined up with that mod, as it features both Shadow and Metal Sonic. Of course the takedown was likely Nintendo doing Nintendo things, however if It was actually for Ultimate DLC, and Papagenos was being true to his word that this was 100% real evidence, Shadow and Metal Sonic is a specific combination you don't see often, mostly thanks to Metal Sonic, which would make it more likely for Mod Owners to somehow have a Case against Nintendo copying the idea of Shadow and Metal Sonic

However this is just a theory. Not even the other people in the Shadow thread vibe with/buy into this theory, but it's something I want to mention

Overall, After Kazuya, we see the the Sonic Mii Costumes situation is not much of a barrier in terms of Another Sonic character, that Kazuya being chosen showcases how Choosing characters with multiple valid options is open to Interpretation than people might make it out to be, and that FP2 is overall bringing bigger guns in terms of the actual Characters and franchises being represented than FP1, even if it does repeat Franchises.

I do acknowledge that Other characters could be CP11, there are many characters on the table. Plus Kazuya's Mii Costume wave can change the game and perhaps hurt the argument for Shadow in some way

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
You know, with all almost said and done, I'm still a little outraged we don't have a Tetris stage.

It'd never happen, but imagine a weird world where we get a Stage Pass DLC. What stages would you want? Series without potential fighters get bonus points.
Pac-Maze no question, also Rainbow Road and Bowser's Castle. It's a shame because we have so damn many Mario stages and they all look mostly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom