• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean sure, but OVER 50? I mean there ARE almost 30 Touhou games, so I guess that works out.
More music for us all to listen to at least.
Over 50 is child's play. You're talking about a series that has over 180 characters with a good 75/80% of them having their own theme (Some have 2 or 3 depending on the character) as well as over 90 stage themes (I'm low balling this number). The hard part with Touhou Music is actually limiting it to a reasonable amount of tracks, especially since a lot of them are awesome.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Over 50 is child's play. You're talking about a series that has over 180 characters with a good 75/80% of them having their own theme (Some have 2 or 3 depending on the character) as well as over 90 stage themes (I'm low balling this number). The hard part with Touhou Music is actually limiting it to a reasonable amount of tracks, especially since a lot of them are awesome.
There's also the question of "Wait, can we actually use fan compositions now?", what with how many viral remixes have been floating around; I'd wager most people who have been paying attention to the Touhou convos should be able to know of Night of Nights and Bad Apple.

Aside from the remixes, there's also the potential to bring the single longest song in Smash, beating out even the Advent edition of One-Winged Angel - Provided, of course, UM songs are taken into account, because that game gave us a ~9-minute track with a fricking choir.

Paraster

Smash Lord
A thought: if we get a future Smash game that involves cuts, would it be possible to keep one character from a third party company but axe another from the same company?

For example, imagine that Sakurai negotiated to keep Simon and Richter but did not initially plan to keep Snake. When negotiations go well, is it possible Snake would be kept anyway as a "might as well" thing?

Ivander

Smash Legend
No pun intended, right? :4pacman:
......Yeah. Right.

That aside, Nintendo is not really one to ask, "Will you pay this amount for a new game?" Normally, they would not be very unsubtle or would do PR talk with either, "The series is not in high demand" or something else PR-ish. This feels rather out of character for Nintendo, yet when you look at the series and Wario himself, this feels like something that would be in character for Wario would do.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
A thought: if we get a future Smash game that involves cuts, would it be possible to keep one character from a third party company but axe another from the same company?
It probably depends on the company itself; for example, since getting stuff from Square was difficult due to copyright, I'd imagine they'd cut one or two of the SE characters, even if they keep one of them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Last survey I remember they did asked about older FE titles. Months later we got FE1 translated. As far as I can tell Nintendo does listen to these surveys.

Would massively prefer a new Wario Land instead, but $50 for a new Warioware is fine IMO if it's not old content and not a tech demo like Gold or Game & Wario were. With Switch tech I'd imagine something of a spiritual successor to Smooth Moves.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
This is strangely so direct since most companies would not be this direct and yet, it would be quite in character for Wario.
Nah, Wario would make sure it goes for a full price of $60 at the very least

Then again, I'd assume Nintendo would too, but here we are

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think this will happen more than people expect simply because characters are treated on an individual basis, and just because a character could still legally be added doesn't mean they will. They're not viewed as the "Sega block of characters" or the "Capcom block of characters" where it's all or nothing. Priority is going to retain some and others will be edged out.

People are discounting Smash's resources are finite, and the repercussions of rebuilding a roster and adding newcomers will see some vets be outprioritized. And those will likely be both first and third parties. It's not as simple as "might as well include x too" because every character requires a good deal of time and resources to implement.

Me want new Land game even though it would never happen because game died back in 2008.
You never know.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah, Wario would make sure it goes for a full price of $60 at the very least
...So that's why a lot of these games are 60 dollars now.

On another note, I don't feel Link's Awakening Switch was that overpriced. It's not a simple remake. It's a massive overhaul in gameplay design, adds a pretty big new mode, changes things like removing the Camera thing for the Dungeom Maker.

It's at least a 40-50 dollar game, but it's not a cheap remake/small update either. It even adding new items is notable.

-------------

Seeing the tweet, anyway, does make me think we're getting one character pack moreso than ever.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The specific $50 price tag for a new Warioware makes me think it could be an enhanced port of WarioWare Gold.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think this will happen more than people expect simply because characters are treated on an individual basis, and just because a character could still legally be added doesn't mean they will. They're not viewed as the "Sega block of characters" or the "Capcom block of characters" where it's all or nothing. Priority is going to retain some and others will be edged out.

People are discounting Smash's resources are finite, and the repercussions of rebuilding a roster and adding newcomers will see some vets be outprioritized. And those will likely be both first and third parties. It's not as simple as "might as well include x too" because every character requires a good deal of time and resources to implement.

You never know.
Well Sonic and Megaman will probably never leave, they are just TOO iconic to get cut in my opinion, Ryu, Ken, Bayonetta and Joker are probably up in the air.

And if Cloud comes back Sephiroth is probably coming back too, i just dont see Cloud coming back alone after bringing in goddamn Sephiroth lol.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly there are so many valid possibilities for fighters at E3, that I think the line between reasonable prediction and hopeful wish is much blurrier than ever. So with that in mind I'll just put out the combination that's in my head:

Crash Bandicoot and Octoling Girl/Octoling Boy.

I guess my sense is that E3 will have the last major blowout character and a reasonable first party to end the pass. Moreover Crash would be huge for Western audiences and an Octoling big internationally, but especially in Japan. Both major markets get preferred fighters in, Splatoon 2/3 receives another bit of promotion, and Smash Ultimate is nicely bookended by an Inkling and an Octoling, albeit with the latter greatly differentiated from the former in moveset except for the ink mechanic.
I could potentially see this.

Be funny too Octoling being possilibity the last fighter.

Began with Inkling. Ends with Octoling.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
E3 2019 was about 40 minutes, so a double reveal is very possible.
They also had 4 characters left and half a year to reveal them. They didn't exactly have a lot of time after Joker took a while to come out, and him not even having gameplay was getting people anxious. They handled Hero/Banjo wayyyyy better, even if the wait for Banjo was annoying on its own.

They've spread it out heavily through 2020 and 2021, not helped also by delays. I don't really think this plan will change. There's also a huge amount of stuff to talk about besides Smash alone anyway, with all kinds of trailers/etc. to deal with. Being a different context(they are not in a hurry to get the characters revealed to meet the deadline), I don't overall consider it similar enough to E3 to be convinced it's an easy double reveal. Possible, but not likely, imo.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Oh yeah I never joined in on the Gut feeling conversation, I'm currently feeling Saber/Estelle and a "Big" character as the last 2.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
No, the Nintendo tweet of it only being 40 minutes.
I'm not sure... there's more than enough time to squeeze two trailers in.

I think your other point - about them spreading the reveals - works a bit better, if only because they still have half a year left and no reason to rush.

Regardless, I do think CP11, if not a double reveal, would be shown around September at the absolute latest, considering our current pace.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm glad Nintendo seems to have remembered they don't have to sell every game for $60.

I might have picked up the Link's Awakening remake for $30-40, but $60 is far too steep for a gameboy game. Same story with ARMS, Crafted World, and the Diamond/Pearl remakes (also objectively PMD DX is not worth $60, but I love the series and want to support it in any way)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not sure... there's more than enough time to squeeze two trailers in.

I think your other point - about them spreading the reveals - works a bit better, if only because they still have half a year left and no reason to rush.

Regardless, I do think CP11, if not a double reveal, would be shown around September at the absolute latest, considering our current pace.
Fall is when I think the most likely time for CP11 is. September sounds like a good time, yeah.

But either way, it'll be interesting whatever happens.

I'm hoping for updates to modes moreso, since there's a lot of stuff that could use it in general. Stage Builder could have a Target Test addition for instance.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's always been more than one Smash reveal every E3 the series was presented.

Why I think we're getting a double reveal. I can see CP11 just being released September-October.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Most character trailers themselves are only like three minutes. If they pull a Joker/Terry for FP11 it would be even shorter. It's entirely possible there's only a single reveal, but I wouldn't chalk much up to the duration of the event. Nintendo has really embraced the rapid-fire style quick-paced presentation as of the last few years, and it's going to be followed by a several-hour long treehouse for more in-depth look at the titles.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
There's always been more than one Smash reveal every E3 the series was presented.

Why I think we're getting a double reveal. I can see CP11 just being released September-October.
There's nothing to suggest we would have gotten anything other than Min Min at Last year's E3, which would have been the only really comparable situation.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
There's nothing to suggest we would have gotten anything other than Min Min at Last year's E3, which would have been the only really comparable situation.
I mean...we could've at least gotten a teaser for Steve (you know, one without gameplay, simply confirming he's in development, all that good jazz).

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like trying to point at last year as a cause for or against 2 reveals at E3 is pointless, because E3 simply did not happen, and Nintendo pulled out of E3 in March of that year.

There's nothing to say we we have gotten 2, but there's also really nothing saying we wouldn't have. Nintendo rebuilt its release schedule due to COVID.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom