• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I also think the thought that we can't get a 2nd character shown off because we've only been getting short release windows is flawed thinking.

We have been getting short release windows since Byleth yes, but where exactly does it say that they simply... can't go back to how it used to be? I think CP10 will be revealed and released close to E3's timeframe, probably within 1~2 weeks, but I don't see why them throwing up a trailer for CP11 is this oddly taboo subject when they've done it before, for 5 characters. Just because they stopped doesn't suddenly mean they can't do it again.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The possibility Steve would've been revealed there isn't without reason either.
Sure, but I'm not one to humor patterns. There's no reason to suggest it would have happened.

We're also in unprecedented territory in terms of slots left. So previous patterns really mean nothing.

Had COVID not of happened, I feel Min Min and Steve would have been revealed at E3 2020. COVID really messed up Nintendo's schedule plans.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 90% positive that Sakurai said despite the craziness, everything was pretty much on schedule.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Sure, but I'm not one to humor patterns. There's no reason to suggest it would have happened.

We're also in unprecedented territory in terms of slots left. So previous patterns really mean nothing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 90% positive that Sakurai said despite the craziness, everything was pretty much on schedule.
I think we need to define 'on schedule' here.

There's rumors Byleth was meant to be shown off at TGAs, and when you realize that there was a ****ery with the blogposts in December around TGA's air date, that seems very likely to check out, considering a HUGE amount of content was skipped over, which, all ended up being Byleth.

Likewise, in September, another batch were skipped over, and come to find out, they were Steve.

So the question is, would Steve have been a 1 and done Direct reveal, or E3? My money is seriously on E3. We had gotten 2 the prior year, and even with the 'fast release' schedule, I don't see why this would have changed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, wait a second. I assume you think there's going to be a reveal at this E3, as does everyone. But why? Because they would be ready to reveal/release a character? Based on what? The typical span between past characters? That's a pattern. They gave us until December; without patterns it could be whenever.

Or, because E3 gets a lot of viewership, drastically higher than elsewhere? Well that's not just a reason to have one reveal, in the past it's been reason to have multiple reveals, and drop megatons, even when characters were a few months away.

So I mean it's either a pattern or a reason that would also justifying having that second reveal. Could be both.

Not every pattern is worth entertaining - most aren't - but on the flipside, not every pattern is worth rejecting either. Especially the ones that revolve around marketing.

Yeah but when it gets revealed isn't up to the development team (past it being in a state ready for reveal), it's up to marketing, and that's Nintendo's purview. On Sakurai's developmental end I'm sure everything was more or less on schedule. Nintendo's marketing certainly was not.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
There is zero way of knowing what last year's e3 plan was, but you're a bit loony if you think Nintendo wouldn't have at least wanted to tease Steve at e3, even if they saved the proper reveal for minecon. They'd been working on him a long time, they'd have had more than enough for a small teaser.

All the same, even if e3 did happen last year, and even if it was a full blown double reveal, that still doesn't indicate anything.

I think a fair amount of us would like to be done with Mr Sakurais wild ride, but it ain't over til it's over. And even then, is it?

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Donkey Kong on Game and Watch turns 39 today! It was the first ever use of the D-Pad!

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Pic of the Day:

Donkey Kong on Game and Watch turns 39 today! It was the first ever use of the D-Pad!
Hehe monke scare 2D man

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
I also believe in a double reveal because of the fact that Sakurai himself says that he doesn't have much pictures left to post on Twitter for PoTD a while ago. And I'm pretty sure he's getting close to his last one.
Honestly if Lloyd's returning mii is their grand extent of Tales content i hope Sakurai can keep his lame Tales of symphonia happy birthday tweet lol

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
So many picks that are simply following the leader... mark my words, friends, when the E3 direct ends and the rookie(s) turns out to be nobody anyone on here guessed, I'm gonna be there, and I'm gonna laugh.

'Til then, ciao!

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Which one would you pick?

F-Zero. They can announce this and they've won E3 with just that alone.

Can y'all tell I want F-Zero to come back? XD

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I almost got ready to riot because I recognized that Kirby boxart from a Fantendo game, but then I saw it was properly credited. Riot cancelled.

On that topic I'm taking the new Kirby in a heartbeat. It's been three fricking years now and still no info please Nintendo I am going into withdrawal

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler

As much as I really want to see the next fire emblem,kirby and Mario we know they are coming so I would choose kid icarus

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I hate these tough decisions...

I think I'll go with Kirby, simply because I wanna see what direction they decided to go in next.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So many picks that are simply following the leader... mark my words, friends, when the E3 direct ends and the rookie(s) turns out to be nobody anyone on here guessed, I'm gonna be there, and I'm gonna laugh.

'Til then, ciao!
I mean, looking at who we got at e3 for Ultimate at least, we did not really get characters nobody predicted. Ridley, Banjo, and Hero were all popular targets of speculation, as were veterans returning. Heck, when the ARMS discussion happened, Min Min was the favorite according to a lot of people. Say what you want with smash speculation, but E3 at least has for Ultimate been rather cut and dry.

I’m not sure you are going to end up with the schadenfreude you are hoping for, but this is the exact kind of post that can easily age like milk.

kylexv

Smash Master
Another Pic Today:

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels released in Japan 35 years ago today!

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I mean, looking at who we got at e3 for Ultimate at least, we did not really get characters nobody predicted. Ridley, Banjo, and Hero were all popular targets of speculation, as were veterans returning. Heck, when the ARMS discussion happened, Min Min was the favorite according to a lot of people. Say what you want with smash speculation, but E3 at least has for Ultimate been rather cut and dry.

I’m not sure you are going to end up with the schadenfreude you are hoping for, but this is the exact kind of post that can easily age like milk.
Meh, I'm just exaggerating. I still think it's a bad idea to just play it safe and predict literally anybody who seems to be popular, no matter how many signs are pointing to it happening. Just look at this and tell me it didn't feel like it through the entire cycle.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Another Pic Today:

Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels released in Japan 35 years ago today!
Well, this was the first thing that popped up in my mind seeing the Poison Mushroom.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Meh, I'm just exaggerating. I still think it's a bad idea to just play it safe and predict literally anybody who seems to be popular, no matter how many signs are pointing to it happening. Just look at this and tell me it didn't feel like it through the entire cycle.
I mean I am the person who said everyone was underrating Sephiroth and XC2 content was inevitable after ARMS. Outside of Sephiroth the pass is not all that unexpected. Once we got a season 2, ARMS and XC2 shot up a ton due to Sakurais own comments on them earlier (Rex while the main topic of speculation was ruled out due to technical issues with the blade/driver system). Steve after Banjo was in was a relatively popular request as well and not much of a curveball. Honestly, outside of Sephiroth (who I said y’all were sleeping on) this pass was much easier to predict than pass1.

Also Rex/XC2 content was a top request in Japan, and Steve was a relatively popular request too. I would not say predicting a popular character, especially before E3 where we got Ridley and Banjo, is unwise.

Last edited:

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
I mean I am the person who said everyone was underrating Sephiroth and XC2 content was inevitable after ARMS. Outside of Sephiroth the pass is not all that unexpected. Once we got a season 2, ARMS and XC2 shot up a ton due to Sakurais own comments on them earlier (Rex while the main topic of speculation was ruled out due to technical issues with the blade/driver system). Steve after Banjo was in was a relatively popular request as well and not much of a curveball. Honestly, outside of Sephiroth (who I said y’all were sleeping on) this pass was much easier to predict than pass1.
Does that mean Lloyd could get in? It could happen

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Does that mean Lloyd could get in? It could happen
Who knows? Right now I would say the best prediction is one big reveal at E3, probably something more western focused, and one smaller character later.

For the big ones, Crash, Sora, Chief, Tracer, League of Legends, heck Dante, and stuff like that come to mind.
Smaller stuff, like Falcom characters, Arle, Reimu, or to a lesser extent Lloyd, would make sense in my eyes.

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Who knows? Right now I would say the best prediction is one big reveal at E3, probably something more western focused, and one smaller character later.

For the big ones, Crash, Sora, Chief, Tracer, League of Legends, heck Dante, and stuff like that come to mind.
Smaller stuff, like Falcom characters, Arle, Reimu, or to a lesser extent Lloyd, would make sense in my eyes.
Why do i feel Lloyd falls in a weird grey category?

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Granted, the DLC speculation has been a lot more unpredictable than the base game speculation. If we want a comprehensive rundown:
  1. :ultjoker: - Completely unexpected, kicked the doors down, wrecked the standards set prior
  2. :ulthero: - Widely predicted, but was also more or less leaked beforehand
  3. :ultbanjokazooie: - From what I can gather, was pretty popular but was still overshadowed by Steveto some degree
  4. :ult_terry: - More or less ignored before Mr. Intern's oopsie-woopsie, allowed smaller third-parties to get more attention
  5. :ultbylethf: - Was fairly widely expected, but came one pass early
  6. :ultminmin - Was more or less ignored until the ARMS guessing game, after which she became a frontrunner alongside Spring Man
  7. :ultsteve: - Seems to have been fairly discussed outside of SmashBoards, but was largely overlooked in these parts
  8. :ultsephiroth: - Largely ignored
  9. :ultpyra: - Their game was a pretty popular topic. The characters on their own, not so much
To me, it seems like everything has either been a near-complete surprise or it's had a catch to it. It came early, or it wasn't the character we thought it'd have, or it only clicked once we knew what game they were from. Granted, it hasn't been entirely unexpected, but I'm still leaning towards the unexpected more than the expected.

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Granted, the DLC speculation has been a lot more unpredictable than the base game speculation. If we want a comprehensive rundown:
  1. :ultjoker: - Completely unexpected, kicked the doors down, wrecked the standards set prior
  3. :ultbanjokazooie: - From what I can gather, was pretty popular but was still overshadowed by Steveto some degree
  4. :ult_terry: - More or less ignored before Mr. Intern's oopsie-woopsie, allowed smaller third-parties to get more attention
  6. :ultminmin - Was more or less ignored until the ARMS guessing game, after which she became a frontrunner alongside Spring Man
  7. :ultsteve: - Seems to have been fairly discussed outside of SmashBoards, but was largely overlooked in these parts
  9. :ultpyra: - Their game was a pretty popular topic. The characters on their own, not so much
To me, it seems like everything has either been a near-complete surprise or it's had a catch to it. It came early, or it wasn't the character we thought it'd have, or it only clicked once we knew what game they were from. Granted, it hasn't been entirely unexpected, but I'm still leaning towards the unexpected more than the expected.
Would Lloyd count as unexpected? I know I talk about Lloyd a lot but he would definetly be unexpected to most people, especially those who don't blindly say omg he in because no mii return!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Makes you think, huh?
Bro how could he have left out the undeniable best game on the system? Contra Rogue Corps deserves recognition dammit!
Interesting......

This is bull****, that would mean Nintendo knows that not every game is worth 60 bucks
I love this fake bull**** as if XB2 wasn't heavily discussed constantly as soon as the second pass was announced. It's like if I called Chief a massive underdog pick

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Bro how could he have left out the undeniable best game on the system? Contra Rogue Corps deserves recognition dammit!

This is bull****, that would mean Nintendo knows that not every game is worth 60 bucks

I love this fake bull**** as if XB2 wasn't heavily discussed constantly as soon as the second pass was announced. It's like if I called Chief a massive underdog pick
Pic does have some truth to it though.

Outside our speculation bubble, there's a bit of a re-occurring joke among people not heavily invested in our stuff that "All Smash fans do is predict Crash".

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Why do i feel Lloyd falls in a weird grey category?
He kind of does to be honest.

Tales of is big...ish. I mean, I’d say you were out of your mind to say it’s bigger than any of the franchises I listed, especially in the cultural zeitgeist. But it is one of the larger JRPGs not in smash. Honestly, you could make the case to reveal him at E3 or not at E3.

New DK easily.

I mean, FP1 has some curveballs, but FP2 I think doesn’t. Once FP2 was confirmed, even before the ARMS guessing game there was speculation on ARMS getting promoted alongside XC2 due to Sakurai’s comments on how they missed the boat. I wouldn’t call either of those really curveballs. Rex also was considered first but technical issues held him back. While I wouldn’t say ARMS was as discussed as XC2 was via Rex, it was still talked about a good bit due to Sakurai’s content. It also helps for XC2 that Rex/Xc2 content was one of the top requests over there.

Then you have Steve, who was far from a surprise. While Steve might not have been the top request on Smashboards, he still was popular. If anything, most fan polls and predictions put Steve as a solid bet in terms of getting in. The front runner? No, but easily a safe bet.

That leaves Sephiroth. Now, I have the schadenfreude of saying for a while Sephiroth was slept on in terms of speculation, but at the end of the day most people were guessing Square would be back for round 2. Some people guessed Geno, others bet on Neku (gun to my head I was in this camp too pre Roth), but predicting we would get a Square character was a safe bet.

When you look at this pass compared to fp1, I would say 75% so far have been safe bets, while for fp1 at best you have 40% being safe bets. Steve ARMS and XC2 just were safe bets that were not exactly curveballs. Was Sephiroth a curveball that no one (except me) took seriously? Yes. Was the rest of this pass? Not really at the end of the day.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

tbh a brand new 3D Super Mario, Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Fire Emblem, Kirby, and maybe even Donkey Kong Country are 100% going to happen eventually. For that reason, even though it's not my favorite series here, I'd totally pick the new F-Zero.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Outside our speculation bubble, there's a bit of a re-occurring joke among people not heavily invested in our stuff that "All Smash fans do is predict Crash".
That’s not true. We make sure to have our mandatory Cacamallow discussion every 2 weeks.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Yeah but XB2 was constantly heavily speculated, it's not like Steve where he was once highly talked about only for discussion to have pewtered out by the time he'd get announced, you couldn't go 3 days without XB2's likelihood getting talked about here and it'a somehow being seen as a total left field when that's not the case at all

Shroob

Sup?
He kind of does to be honest.

Tales of is big...ish. I mean, I’d say you were out of your mind to say it’s bigger than any of the franchises I listed, especially in the cultural zeitgeist. But it is one of the larger JRPGs not in smash. Honestly, you could make the case to reveal him at E3 or not at E3.

New DK easily.

I mean, FP1 has some curveballs, but FP2 I think doesn’t. Once FP2 was confirmed, even before the ARMS guessing game there was speculation on ARMS getting promoted alongside XC2 due to Sakurai’s comments on how they missed the boat. I wouldn’t call either of those really curveballs. Rex also was considered first but technical issues held him back. While I wouldn’t say ARMS was as discussed as XC2 was via Rex, it was still talked about a good bit due to Sakurai’s content. It also helps for XC2 that Rex/Xc2 content was one of the top requests over there.

Then you have Steve, who was far from a surprise. While Steve might not have been the top request on Smashboards, he still was popular. If anything, most fan polls and predictions put Steve as a solid bet in terms of getting in. The front runner? No, but easily a safe bet.

That leaves Sephiroth. Now, I have the schadenfreude of saying for a while Sephiroth was slept on in terms of speculation, but at the end of the day most people were guessing Square would be back for round 2. Some people guessed Geno, others bet on Neku (gun to my head I was in this camp too pre Roth), but predicting we would get a Square character was a safe bet.

When you look at this pass compared to fp1, I would say 75% so far have been safe bets, while for fp1 at best you have 40% being safe bets. Steve ARMS and XC2 just were safe bets that were not exactly curveballs. Was Sephiroth a curveball that no one (except me) took seriously? Yes. Was the rest of this pass? Not really at the end of the day.
I think a 2nd Square rep was the safest bet in the whole world, since the Mii costumes were missing, and we knew how Square worked with their content. It's just, as you said, we didn't know who it'd be.
That’s not true. We make sure to have our mandatory Cacamallow discussion every 2 weeks.
Why have you unearthed this vile evil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom