• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Bro how could he have left out the undeniable best game on the system? Contra Rogue Corps deserves recognition dammit!

This is bull****, that would mean Nintendo knows that not every game is worth 60 bucks

I love this fake bull**** as if XB2 wasn't heavily discussed constantly as soon as the second pass was announced. It's like if I called Chief a massive underdog pick
To be fair 90% of everyone didn't really expect Pyra without Rex. Like, imagine going back to base game, FP1, heck, even during the ARMS guessing game, and tell people we'd be getting Pyra without her Driver.

...I just realized I could've made a Sulfur Vision THE PYRA WITHOUT REX meme and I'm kicking myself for not jumping at the opportunity back then

Shroob

Sup?
To be fair 90% of everyone didn't really expect Pyra without Rex. Like, imagine going back to base game, FP1, heck, even during the ARMS guessing game, and tell people we'd be getting Pyra without her Driver.

...I just realized I could've made a Sulfur Vision THE PYRA WITHOUT REX meme and I'm kicking myself for not jumping at the opportunity back then
THE AEGIS

WITH NO DRIVER

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

But that's the thing, that possibility was ALSO brought up quite a bit before the announcement, it was less common but it still happened a lot meaning it wasn't that out of left field. This is the same bull**** that's being said to make Isaac come across as this super unpopular pick nobody would like just because he's not a frontrunner in speculation for once

SharkLord

Smash Hero
But that's the thing, that possibility was ALSO brought up quite a bit before the announcement, it was less common but it still happened a lot meaning it wasn't that out of left field. This is the same bull**** that's being said to make Isaac come across as this super unpopular pick nobody would like just because he's not a frontrunner in speculation for once
Maybe it's just been a while but I don't really remember solo Pyra being brought up that much. Rex and Pyra together was the majority opinion back then, and most of the time when people meant an XC2 rep, the default terms was just "Rex." At least, that's what it seemed like to me.

Shroob

Sup?
I remember solo Pyra brought up a fair bit.

I remember a YouTuber I watched once looking for reaction vids having a ****fit because "They can't have P/M without Rex, it's not lore accurate."

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yeah but XB2 was constantly heavily speculated, it's not like Steve where he was once highly talked about only for discussion to have pewtered out by the time he'd get announced, you couldn't go 3 days without XB2's likelihood getting talked about here and it'a somehow being seen as a total left field when that's not the case at all
People also love to forget ARMS was not a compete curveball either, in no small part due to that one Sakurai interview being front and center.

I mean, the fact Sakurai discussed why he didn’t go with Rex due to tech limitations does show that Sakurai did have a design to do Pyra with her Driver. What we got was effectively his fall back option if the driver stuff couldn’t work.

I think a 2nd Square rep was the safest bet in the whole world, since the Mii costumes were missing, and we knew how Square worked with their content. It's just, as you said, we didn't know who it'd be.

Why have you unearthed this vile evil
I mean, Sephiroth was not exactly a complete left field leak due to that Seven Squares stuff, although he was far from the front runner there. But the fact people were speculating we were getting a Square character imo shows that even Sephiroth was not as much of a curveball as people might think.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Maybe it's just been a while but I don't really remember solo Pyra being brought up that much. Rex and Pyra together was the majority opinion back then, and most of the time when people meant an XC2 rep, the default terms was just "Rex." At least, that's what it seemed like to me.
Sure, the solo idea wasn't as common as Rex but that doesn't undermine the point how damn near everyone was calling an XB2 character which is my main argument

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Smash community: says XC2 and Arms content is likely due to a Sakurai interview, says a second square rep is a safe bet, and Steve makes sense.

Smash community after getting Min Min, Pyra/Mythra, Sephiroth, and Steve:

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
See, I don't agree with this, people always used that interview for Rex, nobody cared about Spring Man being there
I mean, I saw plenty of people mention ARMS because of that interview. Sometimes it was to counteract XC2 and sometimes it was to say it might get content too. At the end of the day, it was far from a curveball at least in my eyes. As obvious as XC2? Nah. Everyone knew that would happen. But a curveball? I don’t think so.
Man

Remember when people thought Geralt was a frontrunner due to the Switch port

And people fought wars over if he was a video game character or a character from a book?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
This is the same community that ya see people saying Geno can still happen this pass after his Mii costume and cacamallow is real in June of 2021. Smash speculation can be... odd at times.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think that was just people not caring about ARMs in general

O-Oh, what? I didn't say anything... y-yeah, haha....
They hated him for he spoke the truth
I mean, I saw plenty of people mention ARMS because of that interview. Sometimes it was to counteract XC2 and sometimes it was to say it might get content too. At the end of the day, it was far from a curveball at least in my eyes. As obvious as XC2? Nah. Everyone knew that would happen. But a curveball? I don’t think so.
I genuinely do not remember the latter but now that you mention it I think I did the former so I get your point even if I don't fully agree

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I was always a HEAVY advocate for Mythra (and by extension Pyra) in Smash solo after Torna came out and you could play as her directly.

They always had the ability to fight by themselves. It just wasn't part of the main game gimmick, and when the DLC had it happen I had a sliver of hope maybe one day I'd get my wish.

It works way better than Solo Rex doing Blade arts which is actualy lore inaccurate (which let's be real isn't the end all be all when it comes to Smash). It was either that for Rex or a very awkward swapping mechanic which I wasn't fond of and Sakurai thankfully was against any other ideas. Just cut the middle man and let people play who they really want. (Though I like Rex and I'm sure some did want to play as Rex himself)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I've been getting ads when watching YouTube on my phones for that Genshin Impact game.

....what the **** how do these trailers have like 10+million views. Isn't this just some ****ty BotW knockoff?

Ah, that explains how we can get a new Zelda rep, but not really.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I've been getting ads when watching YouTube on my phones for that Genshin Impact game.

....what the **** how do these trailers have like 10+million views. Isn't this just some ****ty BotW knockoff?

Genshin aka Breath of the Waifu is super popular. It ain’t my cup of tea, but I unironically would say it was one of the bigger games to come out last year.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Calling Genshin Impact a BotW Knockoff is like calling Halo a Doom knock off, Final Fantasy a Dragon Quest knock off, or Mortal Kombat a Street Fighter knock off

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Actually, speaking of BotW

I know how FP2 will end.

1622698314159.png

Consider this:

Sakurai's gone on record to say that BotW Zelda doesn't seem fit to fight.

No single Champion is bigger than the other.

Ganoncorpse is too new to really get in Smash considering we know NOTHING about him.

Smash tends to ignore Hyrule Warriors, so AOC Impa is out.

BotW2 will likely be the big focus this E3.

....Smash DLC for Ultimate started on a standard enemy.

What does that leave us with?

WHAT
DOES THAT
LEAVE US WITH?

1622698475819.png

osby

Smash Obsessed

I know how FP2 will end.

View attachment 317652

Consider this:

Ganoncorpse is too new to really get in Smash considering we know NOTHING about him.

WHAT
DOES THAT
LEAVE US WITH?

I can't believe Sakura is adding 25% of all enemies in BotW to Smash.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Calling Genshin Impact a BotW Knockoff is like calling Halo a Doom knock off, Final Fantasy a Dragon Quest knock off, or Mortal Kombat a Street Fighter knock off
I mean, game looks heavily inspired from BotW from what little I've seen.

I got nothing that can run the thing since it'd probably melt my phone or PC, but the fact it's got a gacha(And not a good one from what I've heard), already makes me build up bile in my throat.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'll never get over how my first discovery of Genshin was an article titled "BotW clone breaks PS4." Nor will I get over that one time I was at a friend's house and everyone popped the %$#@ off over them pulling three characters in their first roll, which spoke a lot about what I was getting into when I had downloaded a gacha game myself shortly before that hangout.

That being said, general agreement is that Genshin's it's own beast. Aside from the infamous gacha system, it also emphasizes the RPG elements, party members, and the elemental combos a lot more, while not having those breakable weapons I keep hearing complaints about. I also prefer it's shading over BotW's but that's just me

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I know how FP2 will end.

View attachment 317652

Consider this:

WHAT
DOES THAT
LEAVE US WITH?

Cue half of the fanbase celebrating us finally getting a new Zelda character and the other half upset that they went for a mook instead of an actual character people care about

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean, game looks heavily inspired from BotW from what little I've seen.

I got nothing that can run the thing since it'd probably melt my phone or PC, but the fact it's got a gacha(And not a good one from what I've heard), already makes me build up bile in my throat.
It was inspired by it, but once you get about 20/30 minutes in it's clear it has it's own identity both in combat and presentation. About the only things that make it a BotW Knock off is a huge map, being able to climb everything and a glider.

As for it's Gacha, the base rates are garbage and it's only real saving grace is it's soft pity which kicks in at 75 rolls, which is a lot more generous than most gacha. You can get about 1 5* character per each 6 week patch cycle as an f2p player. **** the weapon banners though

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
A bit off-topic:

Whelp, there's the final nail in the coffin for Kat ever appearing on our television screens again. Japan Studio is dead.
20210602_230242.jpg

Thankfully, Astrobot Rescue Mission is my favorite game on PS4 right next to Gravity Rush 2 so at least Astro is still kicking.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It was inspired by it, but once you get about 20/30 minutes in it's clear it has it's own identity both in combat and presentation. About the only things that make it a BotW Knock off is a huge map, being able to climb everything and a glider.

As for it's Gacha, the base rates are garbage and it's only real saving grace is it's soft pity which kicks in at 75 rolls, which is a lot more generous than most gacha. You can get about 1 5* character per each 6 week patch cycle as an f2p player. **** the weapon banners though
I've been tainted by Granblue's system.

Spark system(Guaranteed after x rolls)
Insanely generous in-game currency handouts allowing for about a spark every 3-4 months
You only ever need 1 copy of the character, the game doesn't have anything like Noble Phantasm levels in FGO or Constellations in Genshin, so characters are one and done.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

I know how FP2 will end.

View attachment 317652

Consider this:

WHAT
DOES THAT
LEAVE US WITH?

I would unironically love to play as a Lynel. He'd easily be a heavyweight, and Lynels in Breath of the Wild are typically known for their overwhelming power, attack speed, and large assortment of weapons and attacks. You get a (likely super) heavy with a sword and thus high range, projectiles with the bow and arrow and fire breath, and overall high attack strength. On top of that, it being a centaur puts it in this weird quadrupedal-but-not-really state that probably opens itself to some more unique-looking standard and aerial attacks. It's the compete package!

...Overpowered as hell but...

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Genshin is it's own game, the game is far different from BotW to call it a knockoff. Sure, it's inspired heavily by some of BotW's mechanics but it has enough unique stuff added for it to be it's own thing. For one thing the combat in Genshin is far different (and honestly better) than BotW's combat. Genshin at it's core is an RPG team building game with a huge open world to explore and puzzles to solve. I'll admit that Mondstadt is boring and bland, but once I left it and reached Liyue, that is when I started enjoying the world design and started forgetting about this game resembling BotW.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Aside from maybe Pyra who became a popular prediction after Min Min, I don't think any of the characters were particularly obvious.

I know for a fact that no one gave ARMS the time of day because I was one of the few people still rooting for it. Most of the answers I recieved were, "Maybe next Smash," and, "It's too old now." Anyone who claims that an ARMS character was obvious is speaking in hindsight.

Steve? Again, obvious in hindsight, but not many people made the connection even with the rumors floating around since 2018. He was one of those characters who most people agreed made sense, but didn't think would happen.

Sephiroth was definitely overlooked due to (1) how little FF had in Smash at the time compared to other third-parties, and (2) Geno. If anyone was predicting a third-party for a franchise already in Smash, they were probably predicting someone from Sonic above anything else.

So yeah, at the very least, I feel like we're even with the first pass. Half of the users on this site were predicting Banjo, and we knew a DQ character was coming for months. Aside from the pass he debuted in, Byleth wasn't surprising either.

Shroob

Sup?
Aside from maybe Pyra who became a popular prediction after Min Min, I don't think any of the characters were particularly obvious.

I know for a fact that no one gave ARMS the time of day because I was one of the few people still rooting for it. Most of the answers I recieved were, "Maybe next Smash," and, "It's too old now." Anyone who claims that an ARMS character was obvious is speaking in hindsight.

Steve? Again, obvious in hindsight, but not many people made the connection even with the rumors floating around since 2018. He was one of those characters who most people agreed made sense, but didn't think would happen.

Sephiroth was definitely overlooked due to (1) how little FF had in Smash at the time compared to other third-parties, and (2) Geno. If anyone was predicting a third-party for a franchise already in Smash, they were probably predicting someone from Sonic above anything else.

So yeah, at the very least, I feel like we're even with the first pass. Half of the users on this site were predicting Banjo, and we knew a DQ character was coming for months. Aside from the pass he debuted in, Byleth wasn't surprising either.
I mean, the thing about Steve is, well, the Banjo vs Steve wars weren't some fairy tail, they happened, and were miserable.

People may have given up in regards to FP2, but Steve had a legion of people who were pushing for him over Banjo in FP1, hell, it had an entire thread here dedicated to keeping it in one place.

As for Sephiroth, I agree there, but a 2nd Square Enix rep was always happening. You can say "Obvious in hingsight", but we even back then talked about how Square works, and hell, I was calling a 2nd one since we saw the Heihachi Mii return, meaning the rest of the missing Miis would come back.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Whatever happens by E3, I'm just sad that Ultimate's coming to an end this year, barring any future balance updates after FP11, if any even happen. This era of speculation was just as chaotic and fun as the ballot days and it'll be a shame not seeing this same energy by the time the next game comes.
Just cut the middle man and let people play who they really want.
But I really wanted to play Rex AND Pyra :(

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Whatever happens by E3, I'm just sad that Ultimate's coming to an end this year, barring any future balance updates after FP11, if any even happen. This era of speculation was just as chaotic and fun as the ballot days and it'll be a shame not seeing this same energy by the time the next game comes.
The feelings are mutual. I remember all of the crazy mayhem and leaks and rumors that happened throughout the speculation scene back in 2018. Vergeben, rumors someone had stolen a demo kiosk, the Grinch leak, and of course the incredible hype building up to every single reveal and direct. It will be sad to see all of that go dormant until the next Smash comes around, but I think for close to eight years of speculation after Smash 4, it had a pretty good run.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Thank god it's over lol
Imagine coming into a thread that is about speculation of future content for Smash Ultimate and posting that you are happy that you won't have a reason to be posting here much longer.

Feels like a waste of energy.
-----------------------------------------

There are many things I feel like I could say about our situation as we are facing down destiny in week and a half or so, but frankly I think only two of them are worth posting about.

I think everything adds up to us getting both CP10 and CP11 revealed on the 15th, with Sakurai's statement regarding finalization and it coming soon being the cherry on top of all the evidence that already points to this being a thing. I also believe we will get them in our hands sooner rather than later, very similar to Hero and Banjo. However, I think that a bonus character is removed from the equation.

The other thing is that, for some reason I just can't shake the feeling that we still may get something else, like Sakurai or Nintendo may still having something in store for us for Smash aside from these last two characters. When at look at our situation and where we are after Sakurai's most recent Famitsu, everything really screams 'This is it, what a wild ride' and logically I have come to the conclusion that this is likely the case, but something keeps nagging at me that we may yet be in for another surprise.

I'm not sure if it's out of hope, desire, or just things that have yet to add up or fall out. I suppose I'll be getting my answers soon enough, so I'll leave the speculation up until the final moments when things get more spicy.

I hope you guys have been paying attentions to the rumormill the past couple weeks, because this one could be a doozy folks.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Imagine coming into a thread that is about speculation of future content for Smash Ultimate and posting that you are happy that you won't have a reason to be posting here much longer.
I don't have to imagine. It's how a lot of people feel, including myself.

Anyway, unrelated to the quoted post above, the top trending Twitter trend in Japan as of writing this is "NEW SWITCH". Seems like the rumors of the supposed announcement are all well and good over there right now.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't have to imagine. It's how a lot of people feel, including myself.

Anyway, unrelated to the quoted post above, the top trending Twitter trend in Japan as of writing this is "NEW SWITCH". Seems like the rumors of the supposed announcement are all well and good over there right now.
Nobody's forcing you to speculate. I just find it silly when people say they're glad it's almost over. It's not your job, so if you don't like it you can go outside or something.

Shroob

Sup?
Nobody's forcing you to speculate. I just find it silly when people say they're glad it's almost over. It's not your job, so if you don't like it you can go outside or something.
Going outside when my state's still in a somewhat lockdown mode due to the 'rona? Probably not the best idea.

Regardless, some people enjoy seeing things through to the end, and the sense of finality to the thing that they've followed for soo long. It's not a stretch at all to say that FP2 has been dreadfully boring in terms of leaks, unlike FP1 which was a leaky faucet up until Byleth. Nintendo cracked down on leaks, giving us very little to actually discuss in regards to rumors and whatnot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom