• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly, there aren't many possibilities (that are worth considering, anyway) that would outright disappoint me, but please for the love of god be anything but Cinderace.

Granted I think a Sword and Shield Pokémon is dead in the water after the spirit event, but in a case where I'm wrong, there's a laundry list of Pokémon I'd rather see, from Galar or otherwise.
The sad thing is that I actually kind of liked Cinderace when I first saw it but I’ve liked it less and less as time went on and I’m not really sure why. I’m kind of bored of starters in general but I’d love to have something more interesting. If we got Gengar, Cofagrigus, Golisopod, or Orbeetle that would be awesome.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I never got into Diablo until I bought Diablo 3 on the Switch and I really loved it. I know that game got a ton of hate from critics but I had such a blast playing it with my brother and friends. I’m a big fan of Blizzard’s character design overall and I would absolutely love getting a character from Diablo, Warcraft, or Starcraft.
Diablo 3 just got hate because it wasn't Diablo 2. To a degree, the hate is justified in that Diablo 2 had some better features and has more depth despite being made almost 20 years before Diablo 3. Diablo 2 definitely has more depth (this is likely why it is getting a remastered).

However, Diablo 3 isn't a bad game. It is an enjoyable experience. The new content adds a lot as well. I got Diablo 3 for my Switch as well. You should try Diablo 1 + 2. You can get Diablo 1 on GOG for like $ 10. Diablo 2 is getting a remastered very soon.

Regarding Smash chances, Diablo has literally 0% chance of making Smash. It was always a PC focused game and not a console game. I am not sure if it is even known in Japan. Also, if Blizzard got a character, it would likely be one from Overwatch.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I mean, game looks heavily inspired from BotW from what little I've seen.

I got nothing that can run the thing since it'd probably melt my phone or PC, but the fact it's got a gacha(And not a good one from what I've heard), already makes me build up bile in my throat.
It actually got very good reviews.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The sad thing is that I actually kind of liked Cinderace when I first saw it but I’ve liked it less and less as time went on and I’m not really sure why. I’m kind of bored of starters in general but I’d love to have something more interesting. If we got Gengar, Cofagrigus, Golisopod, or Orbeetle that would be awesome.
A similar thing happened with me where I just liked the design less and less as time went on lol. I think I narrowed it down to the way it moves and its weird non-rabbity wrists, which might seem petty but damn do they throw me off.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Which one would you pick?

Assuming we get to choose what the new Fire Emblem is, then that as a Genealogy remake.

If not, F-Zero. Most things on that list aside from F-Zero and Kid Icarus seem like that would happen on their own sooner than later and I've never played Kid Icarus Uprising, so I'll back the underdog.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I think the issue for Pokémon is that, the more and more Challenger Pack goes on without them, the more and more people DON'T want any Pokémon to appear. Why?

I think it all comes down that Pokémon, in general, even from Sakurai's own word is always guaranteed a spot or two in the next smash game, and the serie is neither in need of a rep or help to """shill""" anything. It feels like adding a Pokémon right now, doesn't add anything "new" to the game, the way Pyra/Mythra, Min-min and even Byleth did.

It's basically if the Fire Emblem bias existed, but times ten and in reverse.
Byleth joined the game, and while people's reaction to it was lukewarm, it wasn't lukewarm because it was Byleth, but because EVERYONE set their expectation up for "the mysterious last FP1 fighter", also help that Threehouses was a generally acclaimed game (I think it even won the public award of game of the year? Might correct me if I'm wrong.)

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Which one would you pick?

Although there are better odds for a great game with odyssey 2 I'd choose Star Fox because I want another good star Fox game dammit! (No matter how unlikely that is 🥲)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Diablo 3 just got hate because it wasn't Diablo 2. To a degree, the hate is justified in that Diablo 2 had some better features and has more depth despite being made almost 20 years before Diablo 3. Diablo 2 definitely has more depth (this is likely why it is getting a remastered).

However, Diablo 3 isn't a bad game. It is an enjoyable experience. The new content adds a lot as well. I got Diablo 3 for my Switch as well. You should try Diablo 1 + 2. You can get Diablo 1 on GOG for like $ 10. Diablo 2 is getting a remastered very soon.

Regarding Smash chances, Diablo has literally 0% chance of making Smash. It was always a PC focused game and not a console game. I am not sure if it is even known in Japan. Also, if Blizzard got a character, it would likely be one from Overwatch.
I’ll definitely pick up Diablo 2 if it has local multiplayer plays anything like Diablo 3. A big part of the fun of that game was having something to play with my friends so I’m not sure whether a solo game would hold my interest as well.

As far as Smash goes, I don’t think being a PC game is as big of abarrier as most people do. A lot of people think Master Chief is likely and he has pretty much no history with Nintendo either. Nearly everyone owns a PC but the same isn’t true for X-Box.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I’ll definitely pick up Diablo 2 if it has local multiplayer plays anything like Diablo 3. A big part of the fun of that game was having something to play with my friends so I’m not sure whether a solo game would hold my interest as well.
Diablo 1 is solo. It had a multiplayer group for a while but that has long been dead.

Diablo 2 primarily survived because of its online presence. It has tons of unique and rare items/runes that powered a collection focus. Diablo 2's online play continues on Battle.Net to this very day.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Cinderace would annoy me just because the franchise with arguably the biggest cast of characters to pull from is going back to a fire starter's third form for the third time.

At least with Fire Emblem the vast majority of Lords and many other important characters wield swords, Pokemon really doesn't have that excuse.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Diablo 1 is solo. It had a multiplayer group for a while but that has long been dead.

Diablo 2 primarily survived because of its online presence. It has tons of unique and rare items/runes that powered a collection focus. Diablo 2's online play continues on Battle.Net to this very day.
Are there plans to port it to PS4 or Switch? If so, I’m really hoping that they add local co-op like they did with Diablo 3. I loved games like Gauntlet Legends, Baldur’s Gate, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance so Diablo 3 was right up my alley. I don’t really play online much just because I prefer playing games at our house hanging out with friends. Sadly, local co-op seems to be dying out going by Dynasty Warriors 9 and the newest Tales.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Byleth explains both the speculation for Pokémon and people’s reticence for it. A lot of people do not want to be caught by surprise again and let their own hopes for a hype third party get crushed by a logical but somewhat bog standard one.

Basically a Gen 8 Mon is a possibility that would make sense while simultaneously being an anti-excitement boogeyman that lingers until we definitively know Smash DLC is done without it.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
See like, my thing isn't even an anti-Pokémon thing. It's one of my favorite franchises of all time, and I've been with the series since I can remember, even if the way Smash has historically represented the series doesn't always click with me and I have quite a few misgivings. There are numerous Pokémon I think would be awesome to see in Smash...what sucks is that those aren't the ones who'd make it in.

Gengar, Marowak, Alakazam, Snorlax, Ursaring, Scizor, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, Flygon, Metagross, Deoxys, Garchomp, Arceus, Zoroark, Chandelure, Golurk, Aegislash, Decidueye...all of whom are popular Pokémon who would be cool in Smash, will likely never be in Smash. Pokémon like Corviknight, Dragapult, and Falinks would be cool and are relevant, but they're not the type GameFreak would likely choose.

Let me give an out there example, using one of my favorite Pokémon: Sawsbuck. Sawsbuck would likely never happen. Unova missed its chance, and even if it got a character it wouldn't be Sawsbuck. But even Sawsbuck would be really cool in Smash. It's a deer, which have a very distinct and unique way of fighting that would translate really well into a fighting game, being essentially a quarupedal grappler. It wouldn't have a ton of ranged options and would be a somewhat large target, but could regain some HP with a successful grapple through its signature Horn Leech move. Strong burst options with Double Edge and Wild Charge exist, too, perhaps with recoil that would necessitate using Horn Leech successfully. And its seasonal forms not only show off something unique to the generation it hails from, being Unova's season system, but also work as alternate colors that are more flavorful than most Pokémon's while still being within GameFreak's strict guidelines.

Something like that would be full of flavor, showing love for the Pokémon franchise while also providing something that only Pokémon could give you (in this case, a grappler deer that damages itself with a lot of its powerful approach moves, but can heal some of it back with successful grapples). So it just ends up disappointing me when things like Lucario not having Bone Rush or Pikachu not having Iron Tail happen, or if we get "here's an Obligatory New Pokémon with Fire that kicks a lot. The only thing separating it from something from FIFA, Football Manager, or Inuzama Eleven is that it's on fire, an element present in some form on most of the roster."

Kinda went on a rant here but eh.

volbound1700

Smash Master
See like, my thing isn't even an anti-Pokémon thing. It's one of my favorite franchises of all time, and I've been with the series since I can remember, even if the way Smash has historically represented the series doesn't always click with me and I have quite a few misgivings. There are numerous Pokémon I think would be awesome to see in Smash...what sucks is that those aren't the ones who'd make it in.

Gengar, Marowak, Alakazam, Snorlax, Ursaring, Scizor, Tyranitar, Gardevoir, Flygon, Metagross, Deoxys, Garchomp, Arceus, Zoroark, Chandelure, Golurk, Aegislash, Decidueye...all of whom are popular Pokémon who would be cool in Smash, will likely never be in Smash. Pokémon like Corviknight, Dragapult, and Falinks would be cool and are relevant, but they're not the type GameFreak would likely choose.

Let me give an out there example, using one of my favorite Pokémon: Sawsbuck. Sawsbuck would likely never happen. Unova missed its chance, and even if it got a character it wouldn't be Sawsbuck. But even Sawsbuck would be really cool in Smash. It's a deer, which have a very distinct and unique way of fighting that would translate really well into a fighting game, being essentially a quarupedal grappler. It wouldn't have a ton of ranged options and would be a somewhat large target, but could regain some HP with a successful grapple through its signature Horn Leech move. Strong burst options with Double Edge and Wild Charge exist, too, perhaps with recoil that would necessitate using Horn Leech successfully. And its seasonal forms not only show off something unique to the generation it hails from, being Unova's season system, but also work as alternate colors that are more flavorful than most Pokémon's while still being within GameFreak's strict guidelines.

Something like that would be full of flavor, showing love for the Pokémon franchise while also providing something that only Pokémon could give you (in this case, a grappler deer that damages itself with a lot of its powerful approach moves, but can heal some of it back with successful grapples). So it just ends up disappointing me when things like Lucario not having Bone Rush or Pikachu not having Iron Tail happen, or if we get "here's an Obligatory New Pokémon with Fire that kicks a lot. The only thing separating it from something from FIFA, Football Manager, or Inuzama Eleven is that it's on fire, an element present in some form on most of the roster."

Funny, this sounds like my view of Fire Emblem with so many cool move set options but just a slew of sword-users. It is like Sakurai cannot think of a move set for FE without using a sword when swords are only 20% of the weaponry used by characters.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I pretty much completely agree with this. Most of my favorites would probably never be chosen either. I might as well post my top three favorites from each game (excluding Lucario since it’s already in).

Gen 1: Gengar, Electabuzz, Kabutops
Gen 2: Houndoom, Gligar, Sneasel
Gen 3. Seviper, Zangoose, Deoxys
Gen 4: Gliscor, Toxicroak, Garchomp
Gen 5: Cofagrigus, Zoroark, Kyurem
Gen 6: Clawitzer, Dragalgae, Malamar
Gen 7: Golisopod, Lycanrok, Salazzle
Gen 8: Orbeetle, Toxtricity, Corviknight

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Funny, this sounds like my view of Fire Emblem with so many cool move set options but just a slew of sword-users. It is like Sakurai cannot think of a move set for FE without using a sword when swords are only 20% of the weaponry used by characters.
As a fan of both series, I do think there's a major difference, in that the most popular characters in Fire Emblem tend to be the Lords, which mostly use swords with few exceptions. With Pokémon, it's not like, for example, Fire types are always the most important and popular, which makes it more egregious when certain types of Pokémon centralize the Smash roster.

volbound1700

Smash Master
As a fan of both series, I do think there's a major difference, in that the most popular characters in Fire Emblem tend to be the Lords, which mostly use swords with few exceptions. With Pokémon, it's not like, for example, Fire types are always the most important and popular, which makes it more egregious when certain types of Pokémon centralize the Smash roster.
With Pokemon, it does seem like the TV show has some impact on character selection. I think Jigglypuff and Lucario were put in not only due to being popular in game but also being popular in the TV series. Heck, the reason Pikachu is iconic is the TV series moreso than the games.

I see your point about man characters in FE mostly using Swords but you can be creative here. Micaiah would have been a nice pick and she is not a sword-user.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
5w3hk0uwfyh61.jpg

Personally I would love it if this cool bunny made it in as it is my favorite Galar starter and one of my general favorites from Gen 8.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
...So I guess I'm the only one here who'd be okay with any Gen 8 Pokémon? Cinderace is actually one of my favorites.
Honestly, adding a Pokemon character would not be a bad thing. At least they tend to have very unique movesets unlike Fire Emblem characters.

However, I think there are so many characters out that from new series that people want and that is why Pokemon is not getting a lot of love. Would you rather get another Pokemon character or a Crash Bandicoot, Lloyd Irving, Rayman, or Ryu Hayabusa?

Heck even in the First-Party space, I think people would rather see a Kirby, Zelda, etc. franchise.

I don't think a Pokemon character would be a bad addition and I think the chances of a Pokemon character are higher than people think.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Cinderance would just be boring. Pokemon has so many unique options that no other series could do, adding Soccer Rabbit or Bear Ryu would be a waste.

An ogre that can contort the hair on it's body into basically any form. A silent film callback that can create ice with it's cane. A ghostly lizard that can fire it's own offspring as projectiles. That's the kinda stuff I want to see from a Pokemon, not DK holding a drum.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Honestly, there aren't many possibilities (that are worth considering, anyway) that would outright disappoint me, but please for the love of god be anything but Cinderace.

Granted I think a Sword and Shield Pokémon is dead in the water after the spirit event, but in a case where I'm wrong, there's a laundry list of Pokémon I'd rather see, from Galar or otherwise.
Christ, same

Like, people often point to people just not wanting another Pokémon as the source of all the contempt towards Cinderace, and yeah, that's fair to think! I'll admit it kinda plays a part in why I wouldn't want it too, but even beyond that, I genuinely really dislike Cinderace's design.

I don't know what it is, but god, it bothers me. It feels so...bland, almost. And it makes me sad to say cause there's a lot of banger designs in Gen 8! Even Scorbunny, who's literally in the same evolutionary line as Cinderace, I think is, like, the cutest ************ ever. But christ, Cinderace's design has gotta be one of my least favorites in Galar. I sincerely don't know how to put it into words, it's like it straddles the line between "just boring" and "genuinely ugly" to me.

frankly I think they should just add Football Manager instead

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
...So I guess I'm the only one here who'd be okay with any Gen 8 Pokémon? Cinderace is actually one of my favorites.
For me, it’s just that we have so many starters already and we just got another Fire starter in Incineroar so Cinderace wouldn’t really interest me much despite initially liking it. Beyond Pokémon, Smash is also already filled with Fire users so representing some other elements would be more fun in my opinion.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Even Scorbunny, who's literally in the same evolutionary line as Cinderace, I think is, like, the cutest ************ ever.
Me too, which makes Cinderace all the more disappointing. Unfortunately, Scorbunny is already a bipedal rabbit which can be associated with soccer, so there wasn't really much choice on what to expect from its final evolution.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm not even opposed to a new Pokemon - You better believe I'll pop off if one of my favorites got added, like Gengar, Elekid, Hawlucha, or even Sirfetch'd if we're talking Gen 8. Hell, I love the Grookey line if we wanna go for starters! Cinderace just feels like the safest choice. It'd be fine if it was Scorbunny, even! Scorbunny is adorable! And I'm one of those who loved Incineroar being added since I've always loved him! But Cinderace just feels so bland as a Smash pick.

Gen 8 has a ton of great new Pokemon. I hope if we get something from Gen 8 one of the really fun ones gets a chance to shine.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
With Pokemon, it does seem like the TV show has some impact on character selection. I think Jigglypuff and Lucario were put in not only due to being popular in game but also being popular in the TV series. Heck, the reason Pikachu is iconic is the TV series moreso than the games.

I see your point about man characters in FE mostly using Swords but you can be creative here. Micaiah would have been a nice pick and she is not a sword-user.
Yeah, the show definitely plays a part. Sakurai even said as much, saying that a Pokémon being in recent movies is important, for example, which was a crucial part in Lucario's inclusion. Market synergy, and all that.

Micaiah was more so a case of unfortunate timing, I'd say. She actually had a decent following from like 2008-2011. But considering Brawl's roster was decided in 2005 and Smash 4's in 2012, she was in an awkward spot, especially after Radiant Dawn flopped (thanks Nintendo, for releasing it with zero marketing a week after Super Mario Galaxy came out...) and Awakening was a huge success. I will say, though, that while controversial, I firmly believe they should have gone for one of the House Leaders over Byleth, and I'm saying that as someone who loved Byleth's inclusion. In particular, Edelgard. People can cry house favoritism all they want but like...all of the individual House Leaders far exceed Byleth's popularity, don't use a sword at all, and have actual personalities. And in Edelgard's case, is important to the plot regardless of which route you take and, due to the nature of Three Houses's warring factions story meaning you can side against her or with her, would add an antagonist to Fire Emblem's roster.

But sadly that ship has sailed.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Cinderace is going to be like Spring Man: a character that gets so much hate for being an inevitable, boring pick, only to not become playable so their fans lose twice.

At least if you like characters like Byleth, you can just shrug off what haters say and play as them.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I feel like Scorbunny is going to be like Spring Man: a character that gets so much hate for being an inevitable, boring pick, only to not become playable so their fans lose twice.

At least if you like characters like Byleth, you can just shrug off what haters say and play as them.
No, no, people just think Cinderace is inevitable and bland. Nobody hates Scorbunny, look at him, he's a tiny rabbit who plays soccer, you can't hate him.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't even dislike Cinderance as a Pokemon, I just think it would be boring in Smash.

That's a common trend, my favorite Pokemon and the Pokemon I want in Smash are different lists. Flygon, Ampharos, Typhlosion, and Cursola are some of my favorites, but I have no desire to see them in Smash. Mr. Rime, Regigigas, Magneton, and Pinsir are Pokemon I don't normally like, but would like in Smash. Decidueye is really the only Pokemon on both lists, but we got the starter on neither of them instead...

osby

Smash Obsessed
No, no, people just think Cinderace is inevitable and bland. Nobody hates Scorbunny, look at him, he's a tiny rabbit who plays soccer, you can't hate him.
That was a typo, I fixed it.

Still think people are way too eager to complain about characters we don't even know are coming for sure.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't even dislike Cinderance as a Pokemon, I just think it would be boring in Smash.

That's a common trend, my favorite Pokemon and the Pokemon I want in Smash are different lists. Flygon, Ampharos, Typhlosion, and Cursola are some of my favorites, but I have no desire to see them in Smash. Mr. Rime, Regigigas, Magneton, and Pinsir are Pokemon I don't normally like, but would like in Smash. Decidueye is really the only Pokemon on both lists, but we got the starter on neither of them instead...
I can’t say I completely agree with you but I definitely get where you’re coming from. I still just want my favorites but within that list, I tend to prioritize those that I think would have fun and unique move sets in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom