• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I love Cinderace

I just dont want a freaking pokemon fighter. Call it bias because Id much rather have another FE character. At least with that game, I still like it.

Pokemon, I feel out of love with, we got a divorce
While I respect your opinion, I still gotta say that I'm of the opposite opinion in that I'd rather have another starter mon than another FE character; it's just kinda amusing to show mirroring opinions, is all. XP

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
While I respect your opinion, I still gotta say that I'm of the opposite opinion in that I'd rather have another starter mon than another FE character; it's just kinda amusing to show mirroring opinions, is all. XP
And I also respect your opinion. Its good to have different an opinion in a place. If we didnt, it would just be an a echo chamber lol

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What in the blazing smash balls is the crowd cheer theory?
Ever noticed how they didn't localize crowd cheers for FP2 until Pyra and Mythra needed them for languages that don't call them Homura and Hikari?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still have to ask what makes Crowd Cheer Theory stand out from other theories that more often than not turned out false?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Ever noticed how they didn't localize crowd cheers for FP2 until Pyra and Mythra needed them for languages that don't call them Homura and Hikari?
I think that was more due to the pandemic possibly messing things up and Pyra/Mythra being the time when things were starting to properly pick up.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I wouldn't be mad if we get a Pokémon. But I would certainly be indifferent towards it. Assuming the one they would choose it's a starter, that is.

Maybe, like happened with ARMS and Xenoblade 2, Sakurai would be able to pick a less conventional option. In that case I'd be more interested in the idea.

Which one would you pick?

Kid Icarus for me. Then F-Zero. Most of the other options will eventually happen 100%, so I'd rather give a chance to these 2.

It was inspired by it, but once you get about 20/30 minutes in it's clear it has it's own identity both in combat and presentation. About the only things that make it a BotW Knock off is a huge map, being able to climb everything and a glider.
And I wouldn't say that makes it a BotW knock off at all. The game definitely has some similarities to BotW (how the grass looks, for example). But having a huge map, climbing or using a glider has been a thing in many other games.

BotW is a great game but sometimes it's kinda tiring to see people thinking the game has created all of that, when that's not really the case. If Genshin Impact or [insert any other game here] is a BotW knock off, then BotW itself should be considered a copy of Ubisoft open world games or Skyrim. Not saying this because of what Shroob said but because of what you can find on the internet.

Alright, here's something interesting to think about.
Remember when pyra/mythra came out with the capcom mii costumes? And how we also got some spirit events as well like the ghost n goblins, monster hunter, and the persona 5 strikers. Now it seemed weird to me that there was a random atlus spirit event pushed in with all the capcom special attention you could call it lol.

So here is where my brain train took me and research. So the way capcom has gotten some love with the spirit events kinda reminds me of the square enix spirit events and how that was before they added sephiroth. Well it would make sense with capcom but there is this outlier which is the persona 5 strikers spirit event. Well I while i was thinking about that, I was also in the meantime tryin to figure which design they would go with for dante if they were to add him. Literal days of immersing myself in the dmc lore and watching all the games and gameplay. It became apparent to me that the Devil May Cry 3 version of dante would be one they would go with (with perhaps a dmc1 outfit as an alt, kinda like ike has in smash). And guess what I learned about his devil trigger design in dmc3? It was designed by the art designer over at atlus Kazuma Kaneko! (abridged reason is that after dantes crossover with shin megami tensai 3, capcom was impressed with the art or something, maybe it was part of the deal with dantes inclusion. and so when they were making the third game, they had the art guy over at atlus design dantes and vergils devil trigger forms.) So basically what that ultimately means is Kazuma Kaneko gets credit for the design and on the copyright for dmc3 its for capcom and Kazuma Kaneko/Atlus.

So now it would be easy to assume that devil trigger would most likely be dantes final smash and in order to get the rights for that specific design, they would have to get Kazuma Kaneko's permission or whatever and it wouldnt be a loong shot that since they are over at atlus to get a design for a capcom character, they might do a little easy spirit event for a sequel to Jokers game, just a little bit more content for that franchise. Kill two birds with one stone.

tldr, dantes design in smash would most likely be from his dmc3 version of the character and his devil trigger in dmc3 was designed by the Atlus art guy so in the end dantes smash character would have both capcom and atlus in the copyrights, which would explain why we got a random atlus spirit event alongside capcoms little spotlight with spirit events and mii costumes.

not to mention dante is a great e3 pick

edit: made paragraphs separate...
I mean, it's an interesting theory, I'll give you that. And I'd like for you to be right with this, but I just don't see it.

Dante would probably be based on his DMC3 appearance anyways, or at least I'm sure that design would be one of his alts. It's true that Kaneko designed Dante's Devil Trigger in DMC3 but I don't even know if said design is owned by him/Atlus, or if it's just owned by Capcom, which is probably the case IMO.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Everyone says that there'll be no Sonic character as Knuckles and Shadow are both ATs.

Y'all are sleeping on Blaze the Cat.
Yeah, there's still Eggman, too. Plus, with Sonic Forces being released in 2017, and taking into account the Loose-Ends theory, there's also the possibility of either Infinite or the Avatar entering the roster.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Everyone says that there'll be no Sonic character as Knuckles and Shadow are both ATs.

Y'all are sleeping on Blaze the Cat.
Instead we end up with Amy Rose. Really along with Eggman, she's probably the next choice for a Sonic character since the two above are as mentioned assists and Tails is a Mii.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be mad if we get a Pokémon. But I would certainly be indifferent towards it. Assuming the one they would choose it's a starter, that is.

Maybe, like happened with ARMS and Xenoblade 2, Sakurai would be able to pick a less conventional option. In that case I'd be more interested in the idea.

Kid Icarus for me. Then F-Zero. Most of the other options will eventually happen 100%, so I'd rather give a chance to these 2.

And I wouldn't say that makes it a BotW knock off at all. The game definitely has some similarities to BotW (how the grass looks, for example). But having a huge map, climbing or using a glider has been a thing in many other games.

BotW is a great game but sometimes it's kinda tiring to see people thinking the game has created all of that, when that's not really the case. If Genshin Impact or [insert any other game here] is a BotW knock off, then BotW itself should be considered a copy of Ubisoft open world games or Skyrim. Not saying this because of what Shroob said but because of what you can find on the internet.

I mean, it's an interesting theory, I'll give you that. And I'd like for you to be right with this, but I just don't see it.

Dante would probably be based on his DMC3 appearance anyways, or at least I'm sure that design would be one of his alts. It's true that Kaneko designed Dante's Devil Trigger in DMC3 but I don't even know if said design is owned by him/Atlus, or if it's just owned by Capcom, which is probably the case IMO.
Same for me. I’m already satisfied with the roster so I won’t be upset no matter who we get but my reaction is completely dependent on which Pokémon we got. I’d also be pretty indifferent to any starter other than Blastoise.

osby

Smash Obsessed

That's a good point. Dante's Devil Trigger appeared in multiple titles and I don't think any of them credits ATLUS/Kaneko for it. It's much more likely if Capcom just owns it, similar to how guest designers in most games work.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Never noticed it, but what about it?
The idea is that, if they are going to have a character anywhere in FP2 that absolutely needs unique crowd cheers in Europe (which a Pokemon would since they have different names everywhere,) they would've acquired European crowd cheer voice actors further in advance.

The fact that they didn't even have English crowd VA's until Pyra and Mythra absolutely required it implies that they could just hire some later down the line if necessary, though.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The idea is that, if they are going to have a character anywhere in FP2 that absolutely needs unique crowd cheers in Europe (which a Pokemon would since they have different names everywhere,) they would've acquired European crowd cheer voice actors further in advance.

The fact that they didn't even have English crowd VA's until Pyra and Mythra absolutely required it implies that they could just hire some later down the line if necessary, though.
Yeah, the Aegis already breaks a good part of the pattern considering the same would apply to English language crowd cheers

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
I'm on the same opinion. I never complained about FE characters and I like them, but I'd choose a new pokémon rather than a new FE rep.
And tbh, I think that there are A LOT of mons that would potentially be a great addition to Smash in terms of gameplay.

Now, since people are talking about it... I like Cinderace, but I wouldn't like him in Smash as a new fighter at all. But more in general, I wouldn't really like a gen 8 rep. I just don't feel the need for it.
As I already said many times I would love to finally see spin-off representation, not only because Grovyle is one of my most wanted and I love EoS, but also because he could introduce some new gameplay mechanics that other pokémons don't have. Aside from personal preferences, I genuinely think that he could be one of the best choices for a new Pokémon rep, for various reasons.

But I don't see it coming anytime soon, sadly

Technomage

Smash Champion
While we're still on the topic of Pokemon: You know about the categories of Pokemon we have in the roster? You know, Starters, Legendaries, and Pikachu Expies (including Pikachu itself and its other evolutionary forms). Well, there are categories of Pokemon we still don't have yet: Mythicals, Pseudo-Legendaries (though I used to think Lucario counted as such due to that Lucario-and-Mew movie), Fossils, and Ultra Beasts.

With that said, what Pseudos, Mythicals, Fossils, and UBs would you like to see in Smash? I'd pick Zarude, Dragapult, and Dracozolt due to them repping Gen 8. As for Ultra Beast, I'd pick Nihilego fused with Lusamine (since that'd add another human to Pokemon's representation without resorting to a Pokemon Trainer 2).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
While we're still on the topic of Pokemon: You know about the categories of Pokemon we have in the roster? You know, Starters, Legendaries, and Pikachu Expies (including Pikachu itself and its other evolutionary forms). Well, there are categories of Pokemon we still don't have yet: Mythicals, Pseudo-Legendaries (though I used to think Lucario counted as such due to that Lucario-and-Mew movie), Fossils, and Ultra Beasts.

With that said, what Pseudos, Mythicals, Fossils, and UBs would you like to see in Smash? I'd pick Zarude, Dragapult, and Dracozolt due to them repping Gen 8. As for Ultra Beast, I'd pick Nihilego fused with Lusamine (since that'd add another human to Pokemon's representation without resorting to a Pokemon Trainer 2).
I’d go with Deoxys, Kabutops, and Guzzlord. I’m not entirely sure how Guzzlord would work as a Smash character but it would definitely be interesting. I think Nihilego fused with Lusamine is an awesome idea and probably better than Guzzlord.

Kabutops is one of my favorite Pokémon ever and I even made a completely custom model for it back in Brawl as a mod over Wolf and Falco.

1622730545256.jpeg

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think the big problems with Cinderace really become apparent when you look at the other recent fire type, Incineroar.

You don't have to like its design, but Incineroar had a lot more going for it as a Smash candidate. It had some major personality. Whenever it moved in the original games, you could tell it was having fun. This was translated into all sorts of funny and awesome animations in Smash.

Incineroar also did something that no other character in Smash could do, be a pro wrestler. And they made a fun moveset based on that idea.

What does Cinderace have that's unique? Soccer balls? We have that as an item, and they're already on fire strangely enough.

Does Cinderace have a personality? Go's might sure, but in game it just... stands there.

I'm just not a fan of Cinderace and this is coming from someone who really liked Incineroar.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
I think the big problems with Cinderace really become apparent when you look at the other recent fire type, Incineroar.

You don't have to like its design, but Incineroar had a lot more going for it as a Smash candidate. It had some major personality. Whenever it moved in the original games, you could tell it was having fun. This was translated into all sorts of funny and awesome animations in Smash.

Incineroar also did something that no other character in Smash could do, be a pro wrestler. And they made a fun moveset based on that idea.

What does Cinderace have that's unique? Soccer balls? We have that as an item, and they're already on fire strangely enough.

Does Cinderace have a personality? Go's might sure, but in game it just... stands there.

I'm just not a fan of Cinderace and this is coming from someone who really liked Incineroar.
If The rabbit was made to be a heel like Incineroar, he probably would be more intresting. Unfortunately, being a heel in soccer is just called being an asshole Probably lol

D

Deleted member

Personality is why we're getting Funky Kong before Dixie Kong :4pacman: .

But for real, if they were going to pick a gen 8 starter I'd imagine it would be Intelleon. Rillaboom could be cool but Intelleon has the whole James Bond thing going on. That's a lot stronger of a base to work off of compared to Cinderace.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

But for real, if they were going to pick a gen 8 starter I'd imagine it would be Intelleon. Rillaboom could be cool but Intelleon has the whole James Bond thing going on. That's a lot stronger of a base to work off of compared to Cinderace.
Only thing I remeber from Funky is the time I was playing online in MKWii and i kept hearing screaming behind me and the damn screaming monkey zoomed past me at mach 10

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Plus, Sakurai wanted to add James Bond to Melee...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I mean, if we're basing it off from a pro soccer player, Cinderace would be the most broken character in Smash.

Hit it with any attack and you're banned from online for foul play.
That's the counter move

Does Cinder also start fights with the ref over red cards?
It calls a bunch of others to do that

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Wanted is a strong word. It's more that he thought about it for a few seconds and then didn't go for it.
Even today I think there'd be too many rights involved. They'd have to get the rights to Bond himself+whatever Bond actor(s) they want to use+the holders of the Goldeneye movie (or at least just the James Bond theme but still) AND games' soundtracks. And don't they have to talk to Activision about using Bond in a game too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom