• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's funny how the most hated genre in the smash community, JRPGs, is the one most people wouldn't mind having
JRPGs are actually my favorite genre. I’ve been playing games since the 80’s but I never really got into the genre until Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy X. I went backwards from there and discovered some of my favorite games ever like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IX that I missed out on.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
At this point, I would love to have new genres repped, but wouldn't mind if more big name, significant, and unique JRPG characters got in.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I just want characters from games I actually play lmao

I've enjoyed nearly everyone but rarely have those characters been from a game that I have any real personal attachment to. The prevalence of JRPG characters doesn't help that case as most of the games I actually have time to play are pretty short snappy styled games, but all of them have been fine in their own right. I just want something that leans into my own personal interests and makes me feel seen is all.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I just want characters from games I actually play lmao

I've enjoyed nearly everyone but rarely have those characters been from a game that I have any real personal attachment to. The prevalence of JRPG characters doesn't help that case as most of the games I actually have time to play are pretty short snappy styled games, but all of them have been fine in their own right. I just want something that leans into my own personal interests and makes me feel seen is all.
Honestly, yeah. I'm happy with just about anyone, but the two characters I actively wanted were Steve and Byleth, and even then they weren't high up on the priority list. I'm not that invested in the final two, but yeah, I'd prefer if I got someone I'm really gunning for before the cycle's over.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Seeing how jrpgs are the most popular thing in japan, there is a chance they dont really care about what we want. Once you understand that they mostly focus on what their home country wants the most, you stop being picky and just accept whoever

At least Im starting to

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Animal Crossing Direct confirmed for E3:

Though all that'd mean would be less guesswork for E3 as a whole (and I guess less time for other games, if you wanna look at it in an even more "half-empty" view).

On the other hand, I would like to know something: The chances of that leading to a Smash reveal for a 3rd AC rep.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Honestly, yeah. I'm happy with just about anyone, but the two characters I actively wanted were Steve and Byleth, and even then they weren't high up on the priority list. I'm not that invested in the final two, but yeah, I'd prefer if I got someone I'm really gunning for before the cycle's over.
Base game was good to me personally since I was always a vocal supporter of K. Rool and Ridley, so I was very satisfied with that lineup.

Through DLC I've mostly been happy second-hand. It's always nice to see people get their dream characters, and everyone we've got provides something new to appreciate even if that isn't on a personal or intimate level. It's hard for me not to celebrate Banjo or Sephiroth for example, but I have no attachment to either of those characters beyond simply thinking it's cool that they're here... although I've been meaning to play both of their games sometime soon.

Terry has gotten the closest to being my sort of character because it was during a time where I was getting very deep into fighting games, but it was mostly 90s Capcom fighters so I was still kind of on the outside looking in. I wanted Min Min too, but of course that was mostly because we already knew we were getting an ARMS character. Could be worse for me overall, but I just really want one character to come around and feel really special and personal to me like Little Mac's reveal did back in Smash 4.

Seeing how jrpgs are the most popular thing in japan, there is a chance they dont really care about what we want. Once you understand that they mostly focus on what their home country wants the most, you stop being picky and just accept whoever
It doesn't really sit right with me that a lot of people believe Japan just plays a whole bunch of JRPGs and that's it.

They enjoy the same variety of games that we do here. Some different styles of games are more prevalent over there, but it's not as cut and dry as a lot of people seem to believe where Japan somehow only cares about one kind of game and one genre.

And yes I understand that's not exactly what you meant, but I think this mentality is dismissive toward characters who are also really big in Japan and just fall outside the single genre that people associate with Japan lmao. "Japanese pick" has become largely synonymous with "JRPG character" and that's just a very one track mind for the community to have.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's funny how the most hated genre in the smash community, JRPGs, is the one most people wouldn't mind having
I mean, it's a very big genre and alot of big franchises are part of it. When you look at Nintendo series, there aren't alot of JRPGs, only Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Earthbound and Xenoblade are the only JRPGs. It feels very big especially because of Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. But with the addition of Final Fantasy, one of the most prominent JRPGs, in Smash 4, and Smash Ultimate adding Dragon Quest, heralded as one of the grandfathers of RPGs, and Persona, another big JRPG series, suddenly so many 3rd Party JRPGs are given an opening.

Like not counting the above, we still don't have some big JRPGs like Tales of, Monster Hunter, Ys, Trails, Dark Souls, Kingdom Heart, Phantasy Star and the main Shin Megami Tensei series. There's Golden Sun that Smash fans have really been fighting for Isaac to get in. We also have requests for Nier, Sakura Wars, Xenosaga, Chrono Trigger, Bravely, The World Ends with You, Disgaea, the Mana series and even Digimon. And that's not even the bottom of the barrel for JRPGs.

Like regardless of how Fire Emblem and Xenoblade have made JRPGs look on the Smash roster, the JRPG scene and community is frickin' huge and with there being alot of prominent JRPGs still not in Smash, it's no wonder that characters from it's genre are still commonly requested and that some people are okay with the more prominent JRPG series getting a character. Like would there still be complaints about sword characters? Yes, but very few would argue against their popularity or prominence in the video game community, like Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts and Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I mean, it's a very big genre and alot of big franchises are part of it.
Plus, RPGs (though I don't think it applies to only JRPGs) often have the biggest movepools for their characters (meaning less imagination is needed to make a faithful moveset).

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Cinderace is a rare "hard no" for me when it comes to potential Smash characters. For a few reasons actually.
  1. While the idea of a Pokemon character being one of the last two characters in and of itself doesn't turn me off, it would be pretty anti-climactic to me no matter which Pokemon it is.
  2. Smash already has two Fire-type starters on the roster; Charizard and Incineroar. Once is paired with three other Pokemon and one is its own solo fighter. Counting Pokemon Trainer as three, that totals to 11 characters with close to a third of them being Fire-types, despite their being types that have yet to be represented. I think Ice or Dragon could lead to a pretty interesting moveset.
  3. There are many, many Pokemon from Gen VIII that would be great to have in Smash and could have really fun movesets. Cinderace is not one of them.
  4. Cinderace just doesn't seem to have as much personality and characterization as Incineroar. Look at any picture of Incineroar from Smash or Pokemon and he's just BRIMMING with personality. He's a heel wrestler and a violent fighter, and takes full pride in it and wears it like a badge of honor. And that translates beautifully to his moveset in Smash; with him being a pro wrestler, Incineroar has a pretty unique grappler playstyle with a load of fun moves such as Alolan Whip, Revenge, and all of his throws. All Cinderace really has is soccer, which you can already do in the game with items turned on. (They're even on fire when you hit them!)
  5. And finally... Cinderace just looks ugly I'm sorry. I just can't get with that design, he's supposed to be a rabbit and a soccer player but they do barely anything with it and he ends up looking like neither and just this weird guy in a fursuit. Easily one of the worst designs in Gen VIII and the series as a whole.
But even if Cinderace gets in I don't think I would be mad or upset. I'd just shrug it off five seconds after his reveal and move on with my life.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Cinderace is a rare "hard no" for me when it comes to potential Smash characters. For a few reasons actually.
  1. While the idea of a Pokemon character being one of the last two characters in and of itself doesn't turn me off, it would be pretty anti-climactic to me no matter which Pokemon it is.
  2. Smash already has two Fire-type starters on the roster; Charizard and Incineroar. Once is paired with three other Pokemon and one is its own solo fighter. Counting Pokemon Trainer as three, that totals to 11 characters with close to a third of them being Fire-types, despite their being types that have yet to be represented. I think Ice or Dragon could lead to a pretty interesting moveset.
  3. There are many, many Pokemon from Gen VIII that would be great to have in Smash and could have really fun movesets. Cinderace is not one of them.
  4. Cinderace just doesn't seem to have as much personality and characterization as Incineroar. Look at any picture of Incineroar from Smash or Pokemon and he's just BRIMMING with personality. He's a heel wrestler and a violent fighter, and takes full pride in it and wears it like a badge of honor. And that translates beautifully to his moveset in Smash; with him being a pro wrestler, Incineroar has a pretty unique grappler playstyle with a load of fun moves such as Alolan Whip, Revenge, and all of his throws. All Cinderace really has is soccer, which you can already do in the game with items turned on. (They're even on fire when you hit them!)
  5. And finally... Cinderace just looks ugly I'm sorry. I just can't get with that design, he's supposed to be a rabbit and a soccer player but they do barely anything with it and he ends up looking like neither and just this weird guy in a fursuit. Easily one of the worst designs in Gen VIII and the series as a whole.
But even if Cinderace gets in I don't think I would be mad or upset. I'd just shrug it off five seconds after his reveal and move on with my life.
Idk about you, but Toxtricity would be rad for smash. We don’t have a musical-based fighter and Toxi would be very interesting to play as

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Idk about you, but Toxtricity would be rad for smash. We don’t have a musical-based fighter and Toxi would be very interesting to play as
Toxtrixity has a lot of unique things going for it; just the fact it's an Electric/Poison dual-type would be interesting to see in a fighter. And like you said, it being a musical-based fighter could probably be pretty unique to play as. There's a lot you could do with it.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
What about Amaterasu?
Amaterasu is great. She would be fantastic in Smash. But I don't blame anyone who thinks she doesn't have a chance when it comes to Smash.

If Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry and Ace Attorney already had a character, she would be one of the most likely remaining options for a Capcom fighter, and more fans would probably support her at that point.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am probably one of the biggest critics of JRPGs on here but I do not mind JRPG characters if done right.

My biggest issue is Franchises versus Single hit titles as well. Byleth is a one-hit wonder while Rayman (for example) has 20+ games to his name and 26 million sales. Rayman fits with the Sonic, Megaman, Snake, etc. franchise characters we get to date.

This is why Sora is popular (he has a franchise, is big in the West and Japan) despite being JRPG while other JRPG characters selected get less attention. It is probably more about the characters themselves. Nintendo is picking options that are big in Japan but NOT that big in the West.

Instead of Joker, perhaps give us Ryu Hayabusa. Instead of Byleth, give us a Pokemon rep with unique moveset. Include other FF content with Sephiroth or give us Sora instead.

If we get a solid Western IP on 6/15/2021, it probably will silence a lot of the critics. Granted, I think the pull of posters on Smashboards are unique compared to the overall Western Gaming Audience. People attracted to these boards are more likely to view niche JRPG franchises in a positive light.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Toxtricity would be pretty rad.

And while more unlikely, I think Dragapult could be cool too.
I'm also interested in Calyrex, who could be a transformation character consisting of riding on Glastrier and riding on Spectrier.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Toxtrixity has a lot of unique things going for it; just the fact it's an Electric/Poison dual-type would be interesting to see in a fighter. And like you said, it being a musical-based fighter could probably be pretty unique to play as. There's a lot you could do with it.
Boom Burst, Gunk Shot, Discharge, Overdrive, and the Final smash being Never Gonna Give You Up :troll:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Instead of Joker, perhaps give us Ryu Hayabusa.
I mean... For that one it's a hard no. P5 sorta re-invented the way JRPG are played with it's single press button action, extreme stylish flair and more making playing a JRPG less boring than "simply navigating menu" in battle without just becoming an "Action RPG" to the point of being seen as Sega's flagship IP (not Persona, but Persona 5 mind you.) and being seen as one of the Game of the year in the most stacked game year in recent memory.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I’d take another JRPG character if it meant Dark Souls or Monster Hunter. That’s be kickass.
vision confusedText2.png

Since when were either of those JRPGs? There's no turn based combat?

My life is in shambles with this new knowledge? What makes an JRPG a JRPG? Who decides this? What do we say to refer to JRPGs like Dragon Quest?

volbound1700

Smash Master
I mean... For that one it's a hard no. P5 sorta re-invented the way JRPG are played with it's single press button action, extreme stylish flair and more making playing a JRPG less boring than "simply navigating menu" in battle without just becoming an "Action RPG" to the point of being seen as Sega's flagship IP (not Persona, but Persona 5 mind you.) and being seen as one of the Game of the year in the most stacked game year in recent memory.
Ryu Hayabusa has multiple titles and has been around since the NES. Persona 5 was a one-time title that was good but was still niche. Honestly, I don't know anyone college age or higher that has played it. It seems to have a very niche market in the United States. It has a big following on here but I haven't seen many people outside of Smashboards that talk about the game.

Ryu Hayabusa is an icon from early day of gaming and is still going strong today. If you go with flavor of the months, you might as well not have Megaman or Pacman as both franchises seem dead today.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Persona 5 was a one-time title that was good but was still niche. Honestly, I don't know anyone college age or higher that has played it. It seems to have a very niche market in the United States. It has a big following on here but I haven't seen many people outside of Smashboards that talk about the game.

That's so ****ing bait I won't even answer.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Ryu Hayabusa is an icon from early day of gaming and is still going strong today. If you go with flavor of the months, you might as well not have Megaman or Pacman as both franchises seem dead today.
All I have to say is Ryu Hayabusa would have made a great addition to Smash; it's too bad all those interviews made me lose hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom