• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
View attachment 317684
Since when were either of those JRPGs? There's no turn based combat?

My life is in shambles with this new knowledge? What makes an JRPG a JRPG? Who decides this? What do we say to refer to JRPGs like Dragon Quest?
There's no turn based combat?
Guess Adol isn't a Popular McJRPG Dude after all :drshrug:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
But seriously

We've had 7 JRPG newcomers in one game. Where the heckles are my action-adventure, puzzle, visual novel, racing, FPS, etc stuff Ninty? I know the Switch is a JRPG machine (more so than the Vita) and I know Japan and the UK loves their JRPGs but c'mon now. I like my variety.

If you don't like Mario or JRPGS, you bought the wrong console (THIS IS A JOKE. THIS IS A JOKE. THIS IS A JOKE.)

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Also, just thought about something regarding the remaining potential Capcom possible characters.
If we ignore, say, Chun-Li

We basically have Dante and Phoenix.

Devil May Cry is acclaimed to be one of Capcom's best series, one of the best Hack N Slash games of all time (A genre under-rep'd btw), and has been widely acclaimed by critics and players. DMC 3 has sometimes even been called one of the greatest games of all time.

Ace Attorney is considered to be one of, if not the greatest Visual Novel series, again one of Capcom's staple series. It also spawned equally successful spin-offs, and one can even say Phoenix is one of the "faces" of the GBA and DS.

Both of these characters have a lot going for them!
If either of them get in I'm going to be hyped AF

volbound1700

Smash Master

That's so ****ing bait I won't even answer.
Let's just agree to disagree. We obviously have a lot of Persona people on Smashboards (at least in this thread). Everyone knows my disdain for Joker's inclusion. It is no secret. My last few fights have always been about this topic so I will drop it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
In my humble, personal opinion (the effects no one but me) I’d like a bit more variety when it comes to genre. Maybe some fighting game guys, maybe the first shooter guy? Seems most of the picks these days are from JRPGs, and I’m not a huge fan of the genre.

But also, I kinda don’t really care. It’s just smash bros, not the best of the world if they pick Bakano Itsusho Sword Twinkle Hashiin over Jump n’ Gump: Klinko’s Goofy Morning!

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
But seriously

We've had 7 JRPG newcomers in one game. Where the heckles are my action-adventure, puzzle, visual novel, racing, FPS, etc stuff Ninty? I know the Switch is a JRPG machine (more so than the Vita) and I know Japan and the UK loves their JRPGs but c'mon now. I like my variety.

If you don't like Mario or JRPGS, you bought the wrong console (THIS IS A JOKE. THIS IS A JOKE. THIS IS A JOKE.)
I won't lie, your spoiler tag got me to chuckle a little.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Let's just agree to disagree. We obviously have a lot of Persona people on Smashboards (at least in this thread). Everyone knows my disdain for Joker's inclusion. It is no secret. My last few fights have always been about this topic so I will drop it.
I just want to ask you.
Do you think a game that goes up against Mario Odyssey, Breath of the wild, Nier Automata is considered niche?
Do you think a game that by itself outsell it's own serie is niche?
Do you think a game that by itself is considered a major licence next to Sonic and Football manager is niche?
Do you think a game that sold 4.6 million in less than 3 years niche? Without counting it's sequel selling 1.3 million in like 4 months since february, which put it at 5.9 million, which is basically already near the 6.6 million (or 7.7 million depending on how Koei Tecmo count at time) of Ninga Gaiden in a whole series with just two games.
Do you think that Joker announcement at the ****ing game awards was because he is "niche" when the next one was ****ing Sephiroth?
Do you think that a game keep collaborating with Phantasy Star Online, Sword Art Online, Another Eden, Identity V, Puzzle and Dragon and many many maaaaany more is niche.
Do you think that a game that worked so well, made it's predecesor, Persona 4 Golden, sell half a million for a 10years old game without any bonuses or remaster, on freaking PC like a months after it's re-release is niche.

I beg you to tell me "yes" just so I understand it.
Please, go ahead, and type "Persona 5" on youtube, look at how many video is there, and you'll see, it's not "Just niche" or "Just smashers"

Just because You don't see someone near YOUR demographic or friends talk about it, doesn't mean people don't talk about it, or it's not famous.

Being ignorant on something doesn't change reality

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
While I personally really like JRPGs and I think there are still a lot of unique characters from the genre that would be great in Smash, I can definitely see why some people are frustrated with just how JRPG-centric Ultimate's DLC has been. You're not going to get much out of :ultjoker:, :ulthero:, :ultbyleth:, :ultsephiroth:, or :ultpyra: from a character identity standpoint if you're not interested in the genre.

I imagine people would be singing a similar tune if the DLC had included Master Chief, Doom Marine, Tracer, the Heavy, and Johanna Dark instead. All have merits to their inclusion and are unique enough to co-exist in Smash, but it's still gonna sting a bit if you're not an FPS guy.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I must say, I'm shocked to see people say they want more variety in Smash characters and not exclusively mention wanting even more platformers as if they didn't take up the majority of the roster lmao. Good on you all Newcomer Thread, I'm genuinely proud
Keep talkin ****, Ma.

When Rayman is revealed at E3, I’ll be one laughing.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I must say, I'm shocked to see people say they want more variety in Smash characters and not exclusively mention wanting even more platformers as if they didn't take up the majority of the roster lmao. Good on you all Newcomer Thread, I'm genuinely proud
Hmm, good point, though how does the ratio of Platformers compare to the ratio of JRPGs?

Either way, I would advocate for getting an FPS, a Horror, a Puzzle, and even a Sports before getting more platformers and JRPGs.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So I was feeling pretty neutral about who I'd want for a gen 8 rep if we ended up getting one, but I definately think I'm feeling the Toxtricity vibe here. They most certainly stand out as far as Pokemon go, and the devs could give them tons of personality. They can have Toxtricity rocking out to the Gym Leader Theme in their trailer; it would be gold!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I just want to ask you.
Do you think a game that goes up against Mario Odyssey, Breath of the wild, Nier Automata is considered niche?
Do you think a game that by itself is considered a major licence next to Sonic and Football manager is niche?
Do you think a game that sold 4.6 million in less than 3 years niche? Without counting it's sequel selling 1.3 million in like 4 months since february, which put it at 5.9 million, which is basically already near the 6.6 million (or 7.7 million depending on how Koei Tecmo count at time) of Ninga Gaiden in a whole series with just two games.
Do you think that Joker announcement at the ****ing game awards was because he is "niche" when the next one was ****ing Sephiroth?
Do you think that a game keep collaborating with Phantasy Star Online, Sword Art Online, Another Eden, Identity V, Puzzle and Dragon and many many maaaaany more is niche.
Do you think that a game that worked so well, made it's predecesor, Persona 4 Golden, sell half a million for a 10years old game without any bonuses or remaster, on freaking PC like a months after it's re-release is niche.

Please, go ahead, and type "Persona 5" on youtube, look at how many video is there, and you'll see, it's not "Just niche" or "Just smashers"

Just because You don't see someone near YOUR demographic or friends talk about it, doesn't mean people don't talk about it, or it's not famous.

Well, THAT'S a debunking if I've ever seen one...

osby

Smash Obsessed
To give credit to Smash, the JRPG characters we got so far in Ultimate DLC have been pretty diverse so far.

Two of them are a tactical RPG character :ultbyleth: and an action RPG character :ultpyra: . The other three all come from turn-based RPGs but greatly differ in style, with one of them being the main antagonist :ultsephiroth: of his game, rather than the usual ptotagonist.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Keep talkin ****, Ma.

Be careful, Someone on twiter talked hot **** to me about Geno even coming back to me to say "still think Geno isnt getting in smash? XD"

He hasnt said anything to me since

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
View attachment 317684

My life is in shambles with this new knowledge? What makes an JRPG a JRPG? Who decides this? What do we say to refer to JRPGs like Dragon Quest?
I'm just waiting until someone calls Genshin Impact or Lost Soul Aside as JRPG.

Then we'll have direct confirmation that Japan took over the world. With anime swords(wo)men.

:4pacman:

could you imagine if kratos got in smash
Could certainly imagine the collective "WTF?" that would ensue, and that's why I'm supporting him despite it not being likely in the slightest.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I just want to ask you.

Let's move to PM, I don't want to get into a flame war about this one. As I stated, let's agree to disagree. I have literally not met one person in real life that has played Persona (whether you believe me or not, I don't care) and it seems like a very niche series. It is not the kind of character that I go out to people and say "Joker is in Smash" and they get excited (or else they will think Joker from Batman which is what I thought at first). If I say Masterchief is in Smash, "people will flip their mind." I also don't remember much love in a support thread on these boards about him. I could have missed it. My comments are based on perception over facts but there they are. Where do you live out of curiosity?

I recently read that Joker was the #1 favorite addition in a Japanese poll done by Nintendo so there you go. I just don't like the addition. He is not one that moves the needle in my neck of the woods.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hmm, good point, though how does the ratio of Platformers compare to the ratio of JRPGs?

Either way, I would advocate for getting an FPS, a Horror, a Puzzle, and even a Sports before getting more platformers and JRPGs.
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdiddy::ultdk::ulticeclimbers::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpiranha::ultpit::ultridley::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsonic::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultzss:

:ultbyleth::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ulthero::ultike::ultincineroar::ultjigglypuff::ultjoker::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpyra::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin::ultsephiroth::ultshulk:

Pretty sure I got all of them, fun fact: last time I did this someone told me I was being unfair by counting Mario as a Platformer
EDIT: Ah crap I missed the fact Mythra has no icon and you can also add 2 for the Pokemon Trainer
Keep talkin ****, Ma.

There's a difference between wanting characters from platformers and being upset that platformers aren't as much of a majority as they used to be. Just like how there's a difference between saying you want characters with strong personalities and "I wish we has some characters with actual '''''''personalities''''''", which means "Big eyes and big mouth". People seem to think that's a personality these days

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
:ultbanjokazooie::ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultdiddy::ultdk::ulticeclimbers::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpiranha::ultpit::ultridley::ultrosalina::ultsamus::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsonic::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultzss:

:ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ulthero::ultike::ultincineroar::ultjigglypuff::ultjoker::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultpyra::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobin::ultsephiroth::ultshulk::ultyounglink::ultzelda:

Pretty sure I got all of them, fun fact: last time I did this someone told me I was being unfair by counting Mario as a Platformer

There's a difference between wanting characters from platformers and being upset that platformers aren't as much of a majority as they used to be. Just like how there's a difference between saying you want characters with strong personalities and "I wish we has some characters with actual '''''''personalities''''''", which means "Big eyes and big mouth". People seem to think that's a personality these days
I see... Well then, no more platformers or JRPGs for Ultimate, I'd say. I want one or both of the last DLCs to be from a shooter. Bring us Master Chief and Call of Duty, please!

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I would rather have a bit more variety, but to be fair all the JRPG reps we’ve gotten so far have been pretty big characters (Even Xenoblade and FE:TH did better than expected). RPGs in general are known for having great characters, its not particularly surprising them and Platformers get so many reps.

That said, The fact we’ve gotten 5 JRPGS this DLC but both Horror and FPS are unrepped (aside from Dark Samus) kinda hurts.

Ivander

Smash Legend
View attachment 317684

Assuming this isn't bait or a joke...

RPG stands for Role-Playing game. Basically, you are role-playing a character, that sometimes you can name, in a vast world fighting against monsters and more than likely saving the world. As you fight monsters, you gain EXP or experience and level up your character, which in turn gives you more stats and skills to fight against the more tougher monsters or bosses. Later games let you be more creative with your stats and allow you to choose what you want to do with them. They don't need to be turn-based, as Dragon Slayer by Falcom in 1984 was action-based. I don't know if Dragon Quest introduced the turn-based combat, but it was the most prominent there.
Monster Hunter doesn't have a levelling system, but it does require you to hunt monsters to get strong armor that give you skills and weapons to fight against the stronger monsters, which follows the trend of RPGs. Dark Souls has you defeating monsters to get "Souls" and you use those to level up your character and their stats. Both are RPGs.

In the correct terms, a Japanese RPG is basically an RPG developed by a Japanese studio. Capcom is a Japanese company and they created Monster Hunter. From Software is a Japanese company and they created Dark Souls. So they are "Japanese Role-Playing games".
But when some people think JRPG, they think of very "anime-esque" games with alot of common "JRPG" cliches found in those games, like Xenoblade or Dragon Quest. But in reality, a JRPG is just an RPG created by a Japanese company. That's why Dark Souls and Monster Hunter are "JRPGs". Monster Hunter does still follow alot of "JRPG" cliches, but just because Dark Souls doesn't, doesn't mean it's not a JRPG.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
From a game that flopped.
Yeah, flopped so hard it keeps getting rereleased on every new console generation...which is a thing they do with flops...🙄

Seeing how jrpgs are the most popular thing in japan, there is a chance they dont really care about what we want. Once you understand that they mostly focus on what their home country wants the most, you stop being picky and just accept whoever
I feel like, with a lot of the more classic JRPG protags, from your Adols, your Simeas, your Cronos...those characters are like the entire reason the Mii Swordfighter exists.

Smash already has all the titans of the genre as fighters. If you're just going to throw in some more 80s anime guys with a sword and tunic, you might as well let the Mii do it's thing.

All I have to say is Ryu Hayabusa would have made a great addition to Smash; it's too bad all those interviews made me lose hope.
I haven't lost hope, but I agree with the first part. :p

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I thought Metroid and Castlevaina were their own genre?
Edit: I thought they were apart of the action-adventure genre, not platforming.
I guess? For 2D Metroid you always do platforming which is a bigger focus I feel than the combat and as for CastleVania, I'm counting Simon and Richter's debut games, which are ClassicVania style, AKA platformers

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I thought Metroid and Castlevaina were their own genre?
Edit: I thought they were apart of the action-adventure genre, not platforming.
"Metroidvania" games are still very much platformers, I'd say. Plus the original Castlevania and Rondo of Blood aren't even Metroidvania games, being more traditional action platformers instead.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I don't have a horse in the genre variety race. Like, at all. The roster at large is ridiculously varied as I would be happy whether the last two characters are Crash and Rayman or Sora and Crono. All have their own merits and could be cool characters in their own right.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
JRPG =/= turn based

Seriously. I don't like to antagonize other people or certain opinions, but sometimes the criticisms JRPG characters get are either a big stretch or just kinda dumb because said criticisms can also work against characters from other genres.

And personally, while I understand why some folks would like to see characters from other genres, either because they're fans of the idea of having a diverse representation of videogame genres or because they're not into RPGs, I don't know, the last thing I care about the characters they pick for Smash is the genre they come from. Maybe it's because I play a fair amount of different genres so most choices kinda appeal to me, but still.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
JRPG =/= turn based

Seriously. I don't like to antagonize other people or certain opinions, but sometimes the criticisms JRPG characters get are either a big stretch or just kinda dumb because said criticisms can also work against characters from other genres.

And personally, while I understand why some folks would like to see characters from other genres, either because they're fans of the idea of having a diverse representation of videogame genres or because they're not into RPGs, I don't know, the last thing I care about the characters they pick for Smash is the genre they come from. Maybe it's because I play a fair amount of different genres so most choices kinda appeal to me, but still.
My favourite examples might be "ENOUGH SWORDWIELDERS" and then they say they want Hayabusa, Sora, Nightmare, etc or "ENOUGH RPG CHARACTERS" and it's Geno, Isaac, Ninten, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom