• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Question.

Who'd in your opinion be the three worst picked characters left chosen?

For me.

Jonesy
9th Fire Emblem character; This franchise has enough characters already. Mario and Pokemon at least makes sense since they're Nintendo's most iconic and popular franchises but this doesn't.
Any assist promotion; Because people who are in denial can't accept the fact their character is deconfirmed and simply can't wait until next game or a port/Ultimate Edition (Let's be honest Smash is too big and popular to not keep continuing).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Any assist promotion; Because people who are in denial can't accept the fact their character is deconfirmed and simply can't wait until next game or a port/Ultimate Edition (Let's be honest Smash is too big and popular to discontinue).
Soooo. An Assist Trophy would be a bad addition...because they're not being added?

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
When people want both a Kirby and Zelda character so you give them both at the same time.
Thinking about it its Strange that in Smash when Kirby Absorbs Link he can Shoot Arrows Would
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
9th Fire Emblem character; This franchise has enough characters already. Mario and Pokemon at least makes sense since they're Nintendo's most iconic and popular franchises but this doesn't.
Any assist promotion; Because people who are in denial can't accept the fact their character is deconfirmed and simply can't wait until next game or a port/Ultimate Edition (Let's be honest Smash is too big and popular to not keep continuing).
9th Fire Emblem Character
A dumb Mario/Pokemon Rep
No Zelda / Kirby Rep

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
Jonesy
Bubsy
The lack of a new Xenoblade rep

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well that was pretty mean. Can't you just let people who want Assist promotions be happy that they might have a chance of getting one? This is the only chance their favourite character may get to fight with the largest roster that a Smash game could ever get. Let people dream.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
Same with Jonsey
Assist Trophy promoted to fighter
Kirby not getting a newcomer since Brawl for years

cothero

Smash Lord
Do you guys think X (Mega Man) is still possible? He's even more present in general crossovers than the classic Mega Man. I can see his moveset being very similar to his Card Saga Wars version (which is completely different of classic MM). Also, more MMX music, which is AWESOME.

Although he's part of Mega Man's final smash, Chrom is also part of Robin's final smash, so i don't see this as an obstacle for his inclusion.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
Jonesy
Gen 8 Pokemon
Fire Emblem

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Do you guys think X (Mega Man) is still possible? He's even more present in general crossovers than the classic Mega Man. I can see his moveset being very similar to his Card Saga Wars version (which is completely different of classic MM). Also, more MMX music, which is AWESOME.

Although he's part of Mega Man's final smash, Chrom is also part of Robin's final smash, so i don't see this as an obstacle for his inclusion.
Speaking of characters who are both playable and in a final smash

Y’all sleeping on Fiora and it shows.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
In that case, the last 3 games you purchased have their protags in Smash. I'll start.

Sakuya Izayoi from Touhou
Jill Stingray from VA-11 HALL-A
Yono from Yono and the Celestial Elephants
Sakuya Izayoi, for Luna Nights
Zagreus, for Hades
Yu Narukami, for P4G

Question.

For me.

Jonesy
Jonesy
Donte
Waluigi

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
The person reading this's favorite character that I'm not crazy about.
The person reading this's second favorite character that I'm not crazy about.
Bubsy

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
X's biggest problem is large scale competition from other franchises and the Mega Man franchise overall has hit and miss attention from Capcom anyway. He'd be a great fit, but there's just so factors affecting his chances.

The mentions of Bubsy does make me curious about which dubious characters that Sakurai and his team could genuinely make work if they absolutely had to. Even the bobcat himself probably could get a decent moveset made from his two SNES/Genesis titles and the two recent ones.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
The three worst possible picks left are Mario, Link and Pikachu

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My thoughts on Mega Man X:
Pros:
  • He's one of the few duplicate characters that are so different from their original version that people would unanimously agree that they're still worth adding even though another version of them is already here.
  • Mega Man X music.
Cons:
  • This would mean no other Capcom franchises would be added.
  • Either Mega Man X would have a voice, making it that much weirder for Mega Man to not have one, they don't give Mega Man X a voice, and it's super weird that he doesn't have one, or they give Mega Man a voice too and it's weird that he has one. There's no winning here.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
1. Any character that feels too derivative of another and is therefore not as fun to play.

2. Any character whose moveset feels lazy or uninspired and is therefore not as fun to play.

3. I'll never understand the mentality of looking at Ultimate's enormous roster and thinking "Yeah, but which one character would ruin the entire thing for me?". Or assuming that Character X would be a terrible choice because you can't think of a good moveset for them, so it's thus impossible for Actual Game Developer Masahiro Sakurai to come up with one. Imagine shutting down a character before even seeing what Sakurai could do with them first. We would've been crying foul at Ice Climbers, Zelda, Olimar, ROB, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt. And we certainly wouldn't be hoping for characters like Phoenix Wright any time soon. But Plant, Terry, and Steve all proved that even the most unorthodox or unpopular picks are ripe for a fun moveset, so I genuinely don't understand actively hoping for a character to not get into the game.

...that being said, yeah, Jonesy would probably be lame.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Question.

Hayabusa
Being the last NES icon is such a lame excuse and it baffles me that people need to inform about him that he's exist with fake leak cause not in a million year I would expected him to come up again if Smash 6 even exist until Vergeben dig him up again.​

Sora
Kinda tired to hear his supporter preaching "the movies aren't important to the story", well yes but no because that only make sense when you already play the game and not just that because almost all of the level are based on movies which is surprising considering even a Final Fantasy character appear in the game with the lowest representation compare to them and c'mon, Disney already embedded deeply into KH status. Goes to show how prominent Disney is in KH inside the game and development.​
Any DLC Mii Costume promotion
Just let them rest in peace​

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
The mentions of Bubsy does make me curious about which dubious characters that Sakurai and his team could genuinely make work if they absolutely had to. Even the bobcat himself probably could get a decent moveset made from his two SNES/Genesis titles and the two recent ones.
I mean, :4corrin: was a kinda wasted opportunity for a more draconic moveset...

Nah, but outside of Bubsy I'm thinking someone like... oh jeez. There really aren't that many dubious characters that even got a sequel or revival like Bubsy. In the sense-forsaken timeline where Night Trap gets in... uhm, you could probably make a really dumb but hilariously memetic moveset out of whatever contraptions that the agents / Augurs use. Night Trap's a rather tame example by modern day standards, but goes to show.

Oh wait, there's Hydlide! Kamiya confirmed that he was inspired by that series (I'd imagine Sakurai's aware of that if his friends and series like Ys were apparently inspired by it):

"[Also] a hydra boss appears in the first scenario, so that might be why a hydra appeared in the Scalebound promotion video ... [laughs]."

Kamiya was also inspired by the computer game Hydlide 3. "It's the first software I bought after buying my computer," he says. "Up until then I had only been playing on the NES, and the beautiful graphics and big sound of a high-end computer — PC-8801 MA — stole my heart in an instant."
(Hydlide 3 = Super Hydlide, by the by.)

While the original Hydlide came out before Zelda, it really got leapfrogged by the latter and never caught up successfully. Now, Hydlide has a leg up on other dubious choices because it has a legacy... but we're looking at really small chances regardless to begin with, and a small advantage too. Edit: Nevertheless, a decently fun moveset could be made from a Hydlide character... but ooh boy the words "WASTED" would hang on that character.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
In terms of major characters from games that I've actually played (since I could just go with hypothetical characters that don't exist yet, like "the lord from an unannounced Fire Emblem game", characters from games that I haven't played and have no interest in like Five Nights At Freddy's, or extremely minor characters like "Dr. Goomba Tower" or "Dr. Piranha Plant"):
  • Bubsy (what could pawsibly go wrong? Seriously, that game was like someone tried to copy Sonic the Hedgehog with no idea what actually made Sonic the Hedgehog fun. I have no idea why people thought it would be a great idea to revive that franchise)
  • Red from Angry Birds (Angry Birds is, or was, a pretty big title (I don't know if it's still popular nowadays), but it would be a fairly random inclusion, and the gameplay of Angry Birds doesn't seem like it would translate well into a playable Smash character)
  • Jonesy from Fortnite (I've only played a bit of Fortnite, but he seems redundant given that Steve has a very similar gimmick, and I like that Smash tends to avoid including any extremely new series on the playable roster because there's a chance that it might be a short-lived fad - at least, I think that's why they didn't include the Inklings as DLC characters in Smash 4)

However, just a heads up that this topic tends to get heated, given that people often put popular characters in lists like this just to be contrarian. (or for other reasons, like being sick of hearing about that character, or because they haven't played that character's games, or something else - I'm not making an exhaustive list here)

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
Freddy Fazbear
Bubsy
Pokemon Gen 8 Rep

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

This would be a literal dream come true for me, seeing how the original Mega Man X is my favourite game of all time and X is one of my favourite characters in gaming, but I think his Mii Costume has put him underground for the time being.

That being said, I honestly think it's between him and Zero for Mega Man's next unique character.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Question.

For me.

Jonesy
1. Pepsiman - Dumb dead mascot who hasn't been relevant in 20+ years. Dunkaccino deserves the caffeinated beverage rep slot more.

2. Zarude - He's a loser, unlike that ol chum, Baboom

3. My left kidney - it just ain't right

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
How do we all feel ability the possibility of a third Fighters Pass?
Sakurai wants to push Ultimate as far as possible. They generate tons of hype (Steve literally broke twitter). And they seem to be selling well.
The only con I can see is that Smash is approaching three years of age and Nintendo might not want to keep investing in it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai wants to push Ultimate as far as possible. They generate tons of hype (Steve literally broke twitter). And they seem to be selling well.
The only con I can see is that Smash is approaching three years of age and Nintendo might not want to keep investing in it.
At the same time, Sakurai's expressed multiple times that the second pass is all that's being planned, so I highly douby we'll get more

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Didn't both Sakurai and Nintendo say that FP2 was going to be the last one for Ultimate? I could see perhaps an individual DLC character afterwards, but I don't think a third Fighters Pass is in the cards.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be fair, there are four remaining WoL placeholder slots after this pass ends. It was that way at the start of the year and I don’t think it’s changed. Plus the CSS can currently hold a maximum of 91 characters including miis and unstacked echoes before crashing.

all the placeholder slots in Smash 4 were filled by the end of its dlc. What I could see happening is Sakurai announcing a brief break for like 4-6 months then returning with “Fighter’s Pass Encore” of four more characters

I mean Splatocalypse in Splatoon 2 was supposed to be the final Splatfest but half a year later they did some Encore Splatfests and are now doing a special Mario 35 Anniversary Splatfest

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have a feeling that the second fighters pass is it. I really want them to continue because this is most likely the peak of Smash Bros and it's probably going to go down hill from here unless they make an Ultimate deluxe.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not exactly Smash related but
This is a very good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom