• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Smh can't believe Banjo was a soulless shill pick
Well I don't know whether to assume they meant the Switch, or this is just all some complete misunderstanding

I will say if Nintendo is intending to do something with Banjo and Blast Corps in the future, because the got to permission from Rare/Microsoft, I actually think this might point to what there was a missing Spirit event

Blast corps was in the data of the game, and I assume is still there.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Out of legit interest why are so many people so anti Fortnite in Smash?

I know it's a trendy game predominantly popular with younger gamers but Pokemon was literally that back in the 90s, "it's just a fad". Fortnite is indeniably big and influential.

I ask this as someone who's played Fortnite a grand total of once for maybe half an hour. Not bothered either way tbh.
I dislike the game, but more importantly, I hate what the game represents and the company behind it for the things they did to get Fortnite where it is today.

Same reason I'm against any Overwatch characters or generally anything coming from Blizzard/Activision other than Crash or Spyro.

Scummy companies with horrible morals who don't really care about their consumers at all and will do whatever it takes for the almighty dollar aren't worthy of being in Video Game Hall of Fame: The Video Game. Say what you want about Nintendo doing what they need to in order to protect their IPs an trying to form their own Esports, but even the weird spying **** that they've been doing pales in comparison to these companies...kinda.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Since someone else responded to this I'll give my two cents as well - for me it's because Fortnite just doesn't have a very interesting flavor to provide.

Fortnite is very vanilla. This works just fine for the game itself, and its mass appeal and general accessibility, but when considering what content to add for Smash it comes off as extremely barebones and forced. And I don't really even mean moveset potential, it's everything else. Very little memorable music, pretty generic artstyle and character design, the characters themselves are mostly just avatars / skins... although I've seen footage of some missions that give Jonesy some character at least. I can respect that, but the greater issue lies in Fortnite just not having a clear IDENTITY to provide in Smash that makes up for its otherwise scarce potential for content.

Fortnite is just not a game made to be suitable for Smash? I don't know if that makes any sense and is usually flaunted around to baselessly gatekeep series that people don't like, but I hope you can understand what I actually mean by this.

They could certainly do it, but Fortnite is not created with strong characters in mind nor does it have a particularly groundbreaking mechanic or aesthetic or personality to provide. It's the video game equivalent of sliced bread - compared to something like say, Minecraft. Which could arguably run into similar issues with its characters - but makes up for it through genuinely memorable content everywhere else. The world of Minecraft is unmistakable and its unique mechanics add quite a lot to Smash too. Steve is a generic avatar character but he embodies the distinct and now iconic personality of Minecraft.

Villager and Inkling too, both are unmistakably avatars from Animal Crossing and Splatoon specifically. They embody what their series is about and have very very unique flavors to provide.

With Fortnite (if someone more versed in all elements of the game wants to correct me I welcome them to) the most unique things to its 'identity' are the goofy dances and the fact that you can build structures. The latter is particularly interesting and could probably serve an interesting role in Smash... if Steve didn't already accomplish this but I digress. I'll give it points there, but it just doesn't leave an impression anywhere else.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I dislike the game, but more importantly, I hate what the game represents and the company behind it for the things they did to get Fortnite where it is today.

Same reason I'm against any Overwatch characters or generally anything coming from Blizzard/Activision other than Crash or Spyro.

Scummy companies with horrible morals who don't really care about their consumers at all and will do whatever it takes for the almighty dollar aren't worthy of being in Video Game Hall of Fame: The Video Game. Say what you want about Nintendo doing what they need to in order to protect their IPs an trying to form their own Esports, but even the weird spying **** that they've been doing pales in comparison to these companies...kinda.
Calling forced slave labour from concetration camps pale in comparison to unspecified money grubbing tactics is pretty wild ngl

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

It's funny how you despise Blizzard/Activision as a company and yet pin the blame on EVERY game that they make and excluding Crash and Spyro because "it's muh childhood". kinda biased ngl or just blinded by nostalgia or you just "allergic".

Unrelated but like seriously there's already a pattern about someone hating multiplayer online competitive game and it always boil down to "****head draining my wallet for a loot box that I actually want" kinda curious if that's the whole reason for the hate?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Unrelated but like seriously there's already a pattern about someone hating multiplayer online competitive game and it always boil down to "****head draining my wallet for a loot box that I actually want" kinda curious if that's the whole reason for the hate?
Well loot boxes are kind of terrible. They're essentially a form of gambling but in a way that can get kids addicted without them realizing what's happening. It's kind of like flavored e-cigs in that regard.

Lootboxes are terrible enough to actually get gaming companies sued and have laws written to counteract them.

So I understand when people hate on lootboxes. That said, the best solution is just... not to buy them.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

I know it's a trendy game predominantly popular with younger gamers but Pokemon was literally that back in the 90s, "it's just a fad". Fortnite is indeniably big and influential.

I ask this as someone who's played Fortnite a grand total of once for maybe half an hour. Not bothered either way tbh.
I'm gonna be honest I mainly just dislike Jonesy's character design. He reminds me of a background character in a Dreamworks movie, not even the main character. Something about the design and the style I just don't like. I've never played Fortnite but almost every other character from the game looks more interesting. I have nothing against the game itself.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
So I understand when people hate on lootboxes. That said, the best solution is just... not to buy them.
I mean as someone who is still studying at school I still have the capability to ressist any form of gacha or lootboxes and this is from someone who spent more on playing online games on PC and Smartphone. it might be because of my usual habit of saving up my lunch money and not just snatch my parent's credit card.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Man

Ngl I dislike a lot of ** Blizzard's done in recent years don't get me wrong, but the ** did Starcraft, Diablo or Warcraft do to anyone? Hell, even though I don't care for the game, World of Warcraft is pretty much one of the most influential games of our lifetime, like it or not.
Diablo 3's store and Warcraft Reforged I guess? Then again that's not the issue people have
It's funny how you despise Blizzard/Activision as a company and yet pin the blame on EVERY game that they make and excluding Crash and Spyro because "it's muh childhood". kinda biased ngl or just blinded by nostalgia or you just "allergic".

Oh that's because they're competition for Crash and Spyro so they're the absolute worst.

For real though, lootboxes are literally gambling but without needing to show ID at security, which is especially damaging to kids who don't know better or those with addictive personalities like people who've gone through therapy for gambling addictions, hoarders, etc. There's actually a lot of psychological ****ery done with that in literally any game that features them
I mean as someone who is still studying at school I still have the capability to ressist any form of gacha or lootboxes and this is from someone who spent more on playing online games on PC and Smartphone. it might be because of my usual habit of saving up my lunch money and not just snatch my parent's credit card.
It's good that you're not an easy target for that predatory garbage but you can't speak for everyone in that regard

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You have the ability to resist.

I have the ability to resist.

Not all people do.

It's like alcoholism. Some people can drink tons and never get addicted. Some people get addicted with just a few drinks.

People are wired differently and gambling addiction is a very serious problem. Just because we don't have that issue doesn't mean we can just ignore those who do.

Shroob

Sup?
Like, maybe I'm just kinda a hopeless optimist, but even though Blizzard's done some pretty scummy ****, I can also say "Yes, I acknowledge it. No, it's not okay, but the people who actually made World of Warcraft are different than what Modern Day Blizzard is nowadays, and WoW was still a hugely important game to gaming as a whole."

Sorta like how one can like Minecraft and not its creator. The game ain't at fault for the ****ty things people do, and just because the people around the game are ****ty doesn't mean we should strip the game of its rightfully earned legacy.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Like, maybe I'm just kinda a hopeless optimist, but even though Blizzard's done some pretty scummy ****, I can also say "Yes, I acknowledge it. No, it's not okay, but the people who actually made World of Warcraft are different than what Modern Day Blizzard is nowadays, and WoW was still a hugely important game to gaming as a whole."

Sorta like how one can like Minecraft and not its creator. The game ain't at fault for the ****ty things people do, and just because the people around the game are ****ty doesn't mean we should strip the game of its rightfully earned legacy.
People supported Minecraft knowing damn well Notch is ****, but understood Notch and his game weren't under the same identity. Either that or they simply didn't know. Same thing with Blizzard, I think a Warcraft character would be bomb as hell.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

People supported Minecraft knowing damn well Notch is ****, but understood Notch and his game weren't under the same identity. Either that or they simply didn't know. Same thing with Blizzard, I think a Warcraft character would be bomb as hell.
Ehhhh I agree that there's no ethical consumption under capitalism but I don't think Notch being a lunatic really applies, he didn't end up like that until after he stopped owning the IP so it feels a tad disingenious. It's like trying to shame kids for reading Roald Dahl because he was a raging antisemite, the guy's dead, can't exactly profit off of it

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
Man

Ngl I dislike a lot of ** Blizzard's done in recent years don't get me wrong, but the ** did Starcraft, Diablo or Warcraft do to anyone? Hell, even though I don't care for the game, World of Warcraft is pretty much one of the most influential games of our lifetime, like it or not.
Tonight is when I remembered StarCraft 64 existed and am realizing that, surprisingly, I haven't personally seen a single request for Kerrigan in my many years of following Smash character discussion. Huh.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Notch doesn't get any more money from Minecraft. There's the difference.

Shroob

Sup?
Tonight is when I remembered StarCraft 64 existed and am realizing that, surprisingly, I haven't personally seen a single request for Kerrigan in my many years of following Smash character discussion. Huh.
I've seen Kerrighan pop up very briefly a few times here or there in the old thread.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ehhhh I agree that there's no ethical consumption under capitalism but I don't think Notch being a lunatic really applies, he didn't end up like that until after he stopped owning the IP so it feels a tad disingenious. It's like trying to shame kids for reading Roald Dahl because he was a raging antisemite, the guy's dead, can't exactly profit off of it
That may be true, but Blizzard's situation feels like the exact opposite, where instead of the old owner going crazy after it leaves their hands, its the creation of older people having it be associated with the new owner going crazy. Or maybe I'm not explaining myself well here, but I think Shroob has an overall agreeable point.

Shroob

Sup?
That may be true, but Blizzard's situation feels like the exact opposite, where instead of the old owner going crazy after it leaves their hands, its the creation of older people having it be associated with the new owner going crazy. Or maybe I'm not explaining myself well here, but I think Shroob has an overall agreeable point.
Yeah, the actual staff at Blizzard ****ing hated the whole Blitzchung incident, a lot of workers either going on strike and such. Hell, they themselves in outrage covered the plaque in the front of their office building that read "Every voice matters" in a pretty famous image from the ordeal.

1609312845975.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I agree with that, but a core difference is who's the one making money off the IP, Notch no longer owns the IP whereas current Activision-Blizzard directly profits from the legacy. It's like how people associate Fallout with Bethesda instead of Tim Cain

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I obviously don't speak for everyone but I hate modern day Blizzard even besides the whole Blitzchung incident because of how they've ruined the quality of all their IPs. World of Warcraft has lost it's edge and is now an inferior choice of an MMO compared to FF14. Starcraft is dead and will remain dead because RTS games fizzled out in favor of MOBAs. Even when Blizzard attempted to make a new RTS with reforged they ****ed that up tremendously and pissed everyone off. Diablo 3 had a disastrous launch and their current attitude with the franchise thanks to Immortal left a huge bad taste in the fanbase's mouth.

Even the one brand new IP that they made this decade which is Overwatch they managed to ruin quickly. The balancing of the game was wack as hell and Blizzard tried to follow the trail of esports money so hard that they isolated a group of their playerbase in the process.

Do I hate old Blizzard games? No, Warcraft 3 is still one of my favorite video games of all time and I will remember the old characters fondly, with that said thank god that Arthas is dead because otherwise Blizzard would have easily ruined his character like they did with so many other fan favorites.

I have no love for current Blizzard, but I do love their old games and I'm not gonna change my attitude towards the old games because of how scummy modern Blizzard is.

Tl;dr Put Arthas in Smash

Shroob

Sup?
I obviously don't speak for everyone but I hate modern day Blizzard even besides the whole Blitzchung incident because of how they've ruined the quality of all their IPs. World of Warcraft has lost it's edge and is now an inferior choice of an MMO compared to FF14. Starcraft is dead and will remain dead because RTS games fizzled out in favor of MOBAs. Even when Blizzard attempted to make a new RTS with reforged they ****ed that up tremendously and pissed everyone off. Diablo 3 had a disastrous launch and their current attitude with the franchise thanks to Immortal left a huge bad taste in the fanbase's mouth.

Even the one brand new IP that they made this decade which is Overwatch they managed to ruin quickly. The balancing of the game was wack as hell and Blizzard tried to follow the trail of esports money so hard that they isolated a group of their playerbase in the process.

Do I hate old Blizzard games? No, Warcraft 3 is still one of my favorite video games of all time and I will remember the old characters fondly, with that said thank god that Arthas is dead because otherwise Blizzard would have easily ruined his character like they did with so many other fan favorites.

I have no love for current Blizzard, but I do love their old games and I'm not gonna change my attitude towards the old games because of how scummy modern Blizzard is.

Tl;dr Put Arthas in Smash
......don't tell him. Whatever you do don't tell 'im.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well loot boxes are kind of terrible. They're essentially a form of gambling but in a way that can get kids addicted without them realizing what's happening. It's kind of like flavored e-cigs in that regard.

Lootboxes are terrible enough to actually get gaming companies sued and have laws written to counteract them.

Yeah. It doesn't help that some people can become addicted easily. Even if I honestly didn't mind Overwatch's loot box system due to being restricted only to cosmetics, the fact that some people can get addicted easily when paying to try to get one thing, even for something that can be worked for without needing to pay, is regardless a big issue.

That said, it's a good thing that it really shot gaming developers, especially EA, in the lung when they tried putting characters and power-ups behind loot boxes. Good on people noticing quick enough to deal with the issue before it got worse.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Well the current expansion is literally set in the afterlife, so he's still dead but

....I mean he hasn't shown up yet but Kel'thuzad has so it's only a matter of time lol

If they'll bring him back then I hope they don't ruin his character arc, but knowing Blizzard that's asking too much from them lol

Shroob

Sup?

If they'll bring him back then I hope they don't ruin his character arc, but knowing Blizzard that's asking too much from them lol
If nothin' else, people really have been enjoying the story of the current expansion afaik. Doubly helps that they're getting to see a lot of old characters due to the setting like Kael'thas, Kel'thuzad, Lady Vashj, and Uther.

Granted, that's not a high expectation to make after what happened in BfA.

Powerman293

Smash Ace

I'm against it mostly because it's an online-only game. Meaning it's existence could just vanish and that'd be extremely awkward to have a character in Smash that you can't play their original game. I hate characters that age badly in particular (Looks at Corrin) and Jonesy would make Corrin look like a good pick by comparison.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't think Notch being a lunatic really applies, he didn't end up like that until after he stopped owning the IP so it feels a tad disingenious.
No...he probably was. We just didn't FIND OUT about it till after.

Well the current expansion is literally set in the afterlife, so he's still dead but

....I mean he hasn't shown up yet but Kel'thuzad has so it's only a matter of time lol
I just spent the day walking Kael'thas around on a chain. :p

He has a rad ghost chocobo...

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Here's a game, a character from the last 3 games you've played will be the final DLC packs. For me this would be:

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Spongebob with Spongebob Dream stage coming soon!!!
Last two were Wolf Link and Mario, so I won't count them.

• Crewmate (Among Us)
  • Kratos (GoW)
  • The guy from Journey

ligersandtigons

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChromToTheDome
3DS FC
4656-6292-5830
Switch FC
SW-2244-3437-3034
Here's a game, a character from the last 3 games you've played will be the final DLC packs. For me this would be:

Hat Kid
Spongebob (lmao)
Chrono

Spongebob with Spongebob Dream stage coming soon!!!
Hibiki Kuze (SMT: Devil Surviver 2)
Jessica (DQ8)
Cinderace (Pokemon Shield)

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
A car from Beamng Drive
Tank from Left 4 Dead
Human from People Playground
(Those 3 games are on PC)
Now Imagine if Valve got base game content in Ultimate and Tank became an Assist Trophy... I'd have PTSD attacks every time that huge gorilla gets summoned.

I'm hopeful for Valve content someday though.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I am just throwing it out there again, Smash is lacking in eldritch monstrosities as playable characters and WoW 8.3 being followed up by Shadowlands is probably the biggest middle finger to the games lore in its entirely, so to correct these wrongs, one of the WoW Old Gods being in Smash in some form would be a good change of pace. :p

16295-nyalotha-the-sleeping-city-of-nzoth-1024x684.jpg

There is a 0% chance of this happening, but I can dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom