• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Out of legit interest why are so many people so anti Fortnite in Smash?

I know it's a trendy game predominantly popular with younger gamers but Pokemon was literally that back in the 90s, "it's just a fad". Fortnite is indeniably big and influential.

I ask this as someone who's played Fortnite a grand total of once for maybe half an hour. Not bothered either way tbh.
People have an irrational fear of things children enjoy which is ironic considering this is a forum for a Nintendo fighting game.

Minecraft had a similar response for some time by some before getting in.

People just want to be edgy and cool and belittle a successful franchise because it's got a large market of children playing it really.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I know it's a trendy game predominantly popular with younger gamers but Pokemon was literally that back in the 90s, "it's just a fad". Fortnite is indeniably big and influential.

I ask this as someone who's played Fortnite a grand total of once for maybe half an hour. Not bothered either way tbh.
You kinda answered your own question.

But the other half of it is... its very popular. And popular things lead to contrarians.

Look at Call of Duty, it took some time for contrarians to stop mocking it and let it be its own very popular thing.

That aside, I still don't want Jonesy, and I'm game for most characters. Part of it is probably the reason you gave, but the other part is that well... I genuinely don't like the game. I tried it and couldn't get into it at all.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

You just described it, it's honestly pretty shallow pettiness. Same reason people were anti-Steve, they had a reminiscence of the old hatred of the immense popularity of early 2010s Minecraft

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice

Can't and won't speak for anyone more than myself, but here are a few possible reasons other than contrarian edginess:

• Recency. All told it's pretty new, and, were it included, would be the shortest time from a 3rd party series existing to getting into Smash. Games can quickly go from "trendy" to "outdated fad" and it's hard to know in advance which things will outlast that risk.
  • Lack of compelling characters. Not inherently a dealbreaker as we've seen, but people tend to be more interested in Smash characters that have a definite personality or story presence and Fortnite mostly isn't that.
  • A perceived impression among many, especially older players, that Minecraft already was the "trendy with kids" game to get a character this pack and a sense that Fortnite would be doubling up on that.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean I don't enjoy Fortnite either, but I also realize that me not enjoying it isn't really a valid reason to be all ''RAWR IT SHOULDN'T GET INTO THE GAME ALL ABOUT VIDEO GAME HISTORY." either.

If it was I'd have also been that way about Minecraft and I'll be real with you? Steve is fun as **** to toy around with in Smash. Still don't like Minecraft or enjoy it though.

So who knows? Maybe Jonesy gets in one day and I find myself enjoying him. You never know. He wouldn't be the first time that happened and he probably wouldn't be the last.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A perceived impression among many, especially older players, that Minecraft already was the "trendy with kids" game to get a character this pack and a sense that Fortnite would be doubling up on that.
Well that and it seems like Smash only has two expensive reveals per development cycle, and Steve and Sephiroth would've been FP2's.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's just funny to me that the same people critical of Fortnite for being too kiddy, are ok playing a family friendly cartoony game with Pokemon and Animal Crossing characters.

Obligatory : no beef with either of these franchises
Oh there was alot of ''I don't want Isabelle in Smash Brothers, she's too adorable, sweet and cute to beat up."

Hell, Sakurai himself originally had a similar stance about Animal Crossing fighters in Smash. That they were too peaceful and docile to be included, but look where we are now.

Two fighters in and it's very likely Tom Nook is one of the next big ''shoo in" fighters for whenever we get the next true installment considering the series only grew to even bigger heights with New Horizons.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord

The only issue I personally have with Fortnite in Smash is the fact that Fortnite's characters are basic, uninteresting, and would not make for good fighters with how their capabilities are limited to guns and building walls.

And I acknowledge that this ceases to be an issue if you were to limit Fortnite content to Spirits, Mii costumes, or anything else outside of fighter slots.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

For me it's two reasons, or I guess one reason and an extension on that reason.

1. It's a game I dislike.
1b. I would rather have a game I like to be included as one of the last 3 characters to be added to the game over one I don't particularly love (especially if the next game comes out in the average 5-7 years).

That's the dilemma with the zero-sum nature of Smash inclusions, and this same reasoning isn't really exclusive to Fortnite in particular.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Oh there was alot of ''I don't want Isabelle in Smash Brothers, she's too adorable, sweet and cute to beat up."

Hell, Sakurai himself originally had a similar stance about Animal Crossing fighters in Smash. That they were too peaceful and docile to be included, but look where we are now. T

wo fighters in and it's very likely Tom Nook is one of the next big ''shoo in" fighters for whenever we get the next true installment considering the series only grew to even bigger heights with New Horizons.
I remember how ridiculous that was. Animal Crossing deserving more than one character should never have been controversial given the size and popularity of the franchise.

Moveset limitation was also a weak argument when you see characters like Captain Falcon who's only move based on his game is in his final smash.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

Frankly, on all fronts, I'm just.....uninterested in the idea.

I'm not interested in Fortnite as a game, I'm not interested in anything Jonesy would bring to the table, I find his design unappealing, and I'm not even interested in anything he could bring stage/music/spirit-wise, which I usually see as the saving grace in any other characters I don't care about. Even with Steve, a character I was super indifferent on (bordering on outright dislike), I at least still managed to find enjoyability in the side content he came with. Jonesy doesn't even have that when I try to envision it.

There's just absolutely nothing in there that would excite me.

Ivander

Smash Legend

You answered the first half yourself, but as for the second half...

1. For one, you do have contrarians who hate on things just for being popular.
  2. For two, you have people who aren't convinced regarding Jonesy's possible moveset. Alot of people were sketchy of Steve because they didn't know how he would play, how he would be portrayed, etc. It wasn't until gameplay of him was shown that people became more favourable toward him.
  3. For the last, alot of Smash fans are older fans. People who have played older systems from the 80s, 90s and early 20,00s, as well as older games and have favorites from older times. And Smash is big with them because it allows them to not just play their favourite characters from the old days, but also pit their favourite against other characters from both the old and new days.
    So of course, for most of these older fans, they really want to see their favourites get in and for those who aren't really acquainted with Fortnite and Jonesy, of course they're going to be unimpressed (and negative if they really don't like Fortnite from over-exposure, hype backlash, etc), since Jonesy is not one of the characters they want. And it's honestly fine to not like the choice. Not everyone is going to be hyped. It only becomes a problem if people take it too much and start attacking others for liking what they don't like and vice-versa, as well as trolling people for this choice getting over their favourite and whatnot.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I don't know or care much about Fortnite, nor do I mind if Jonesy gets added, but I will say that, after doing research on who Jonesy is, if he does get added, then I hope they add his bunny suit as one of his alts, since it's his funniest costume in his game. XD

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

For me it's for 2 reasons
1. If Jonsey(or anyone else from there) gets in then that's likely our only shooter. And there's just so many good choices out there from a standpoint of legacy and moveset potential that beat him out for me in both 3rd person and 1st person shooters.
2. Even though they have the dancing and all that, the Fortnite avatars are still fairly soulless protagonists. I'm kinda just over those types of characters getting in the game. I don't want Monster Hunter and wanted one of the house leaders over Byleth for the same reason.

Overall it feels like we could probably just stick him as a Mii Gunner and call it good. No need to use a roster spot on him when there's so many more interesting possibilities.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I'm personally not into Fortnite like that. I tried the game and couldn't get into it (then again I'm not into Shooters like that anyway), and Not interested that much in them being translated into Smash

With that being said, it definitely has merit to join Smash, Not only because Fortnite was a big influence in the battle Royale genre getting as big as it got (along with PUBG), and Not only because it's like the Ultimate casual game of the late 2010's, but because Epic Games themselves have Massively Influenced Gaming, mostly with their Unreal Engine, Which Many Video Game companies, including Nintendo, Use to make their games.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Hey guys! I just finished my latest (and craziest) Smash Underdog article. I don't think anything I say can prepare you for who I decided to talk about so I'll just come upfront and say who it is this time:

Carl "CJ" Johnson from Grand Theft Auto!

cj.png

Click here to read the article!

And before you say it, no this is not a joke. This is a character who I would unironically really like in Smash due to San Andreas being one of my top 5 games of all-time. This is my biggest article to date and includes both a full moveset for CJ as well as talks about other content from the GTA series releasing along with CJ. Please give it a read when you can.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey guys! I just finished my latest (and craziest) Smash Underdog article. I don't think anything I say can prepare you for who I decided to talk about so I'll just come upfront and say who it is this time:

Carl "CJ" Johnson from Grand Theft Auto!

View attachment 297704
Click here to read the article!

And before you say it, no this is not a joke. This is a character who I would unironically really like in Smash due to San Andreas being one of my top 5 games of all-time. This is my biggest article to date and includes both a full moveset for CJ as well as talks about other content from the GTA series releasing along with CJ. Please give it a read when you can.
now all i need is the scorpion article that totally isn't bribed from venus and i will be complete /s

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey, at least he didn't go straight to Acceptance like I did.
You say that like skipping all of those emotions is a truly bad thing. No one wants to catch you in tears cause of a character not being in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You say that like skipping all of those emotions is a truly bad thing. No one wants to catch you in tears cause of a character not being in Smash Bros.
Honestly, I think I cried so much when I was a kid, I ran out of tears as an adult.

I'd... rather not talk about it...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Star themed tourney it looks like.
This theme started playing in my head the instant I saw the picture.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
  • A perceived impression among many, especially older players, that Minecraft already was the "trendy with kids" game to get a character this pack and a sense that Fortnite would be doubling up on that.
Which is hilarious when you remember that Minecraft came out a decade ago.

I just turned 30. I remember being fascinated by the original teaser for Fortnite back when it was first announced. After its battle royale exploded, I gave it a shot and was reminded why I rarely play anything online: I suck at video games and I hate having 14-year-olds reminding me of that through my headset.

There are plenty of reasons why people hate the idea of Fortnite in Smash (I personally don't like the idea of Sakurai/Sora Ltd working so closely with a company owned by Tencent), but a majority of those reasons come from grown adults. Remember, a lot of kids in Fortnite's target age bracket had zero clue who the majority of characters from FP1 even were. When would they have played Banjo-Kazooie, King of Fighters, or even Persona 5 or Dragon Quest 11?

It's possible Min-Min and Steve (maybe even Byleth?) got them thinking about Smash again for the first time in a year, and another newer character like Jonesy could get them to buy and stream the game even more.

Again, I personally wouldn't like it, but it would be smart business for Nintendo to cover all their bases age-wise. Especially after Steve broke Twitter. That's what gets a company's attention, after all, not the twentysomethings complaining about it on Reddit.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Good thing the Star themed tourney came out after Sephiroth's reveal w would have gotten the "Star Theory."

Anywho, I think with the amount of stuff the negotiations leak has right, I think it should be in the smash wiki rumors page, if anyone here is a member of that site that is.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Geno talk
Star Tournament
What a coincidence

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
Advent Children Cloud screaming for his new fancy Final Smash
thats not what im talking about, unless you mean that the advent children rework final smash took up one more voice slot

Last edited:

venomthebest

Smash Apprentice
yeah thats exactly what i'm saying, he took up the mystery slot
thanks

edit: this means monster hunters probability drops drastically since they would most likely have male female alts and i think its a safe bet the next 3 characters would all have voice lines

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
does anyone know if the voice files are still with one extra as of sephoroths release?
What I’d like to know is if the WoL slots are the same or have somehow changed the amount

since nobody said anything I’ll assume nothings changed on that front

for context: there’s three remaining from this pass, PLUS four more

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And here's another big writeup. Grab a snack, this might actually surpass the Adolpost.
I know you did this because of the RTC thread but Adol's gonna be rated in like 2 hours or so, meaning you can hypothetically speaking make sure the Adolpost stays on top so I'm just sitting here like
emoji.png

cothero

Smash Lord
Sakurai pouring more salt in Geno's widows wounds here. That's straight savage, Sakurai.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom