• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If Ultimate did get ported, what do you guys wish would come with it?
My hope is for WoL epilogue featuring a smaller story. That and the return of a proper all star mode.
  • Rex and Akira Howard if they never make it during vanilla Ult’s DLC. Heck most choices that don’t make it during Ult’s DLC, like if Neku and Phoenix don’t, Deluxe may be their chance
  • rearrange the spirit layouts in WoL a bit, maybe put the Squid Sisters spirit in the Light Realm to complement Off The Hook being in the Dark Realm
  • DLC characters on the WoL map this time
  • more spirits that weren’t included during Ult’s support period. More TMS spirits if it doesn’t happen cause it still bothers me that Tsubasa’s the only one; Undertale spirits, Future Connected spirits, etc
  • MORE. MUSIC.
  • better net code this goes without saying
  • 2P WoL if it doesn’t happen during Ult’s support
  • the phantom/possession effects + boss stages if we don’t get those now
  • Give FFVII their missing AT of Aerith and make it so that only Sephiroth can KO her

yes most of it is WoL related sue me

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
My hope is for WoL epilogue featuring a smaller story. That and the return of a proper all star mode.
I think something like a proper "Fighting Game Upgrade" could do the trick, like MvC3 to UMvC3 for example. Some Balance changes, new modes like a proper Boss Rush for example, a new character select screen and 1 or 2 newly added characters (would be first party in this case).

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean it's never happened before in the last two games. And I'm talking about in the same game not like Little Mac from Brawl to Sm4sh or Dark Samus and Isabelle from Sm4sh to Ultimate.
If you're just basing your argument on Precedent, Precedent being broken in this DLC is probably the one actual precedent we've had

The "It's never happened, so it won't happen" is not the best argument to roll with. Now I think there could be possible concerns like perhaps the dev team sees the Assists as good enough roles for the characters, but that also goes hand in hand with discussing the Assists' actual merits, which you are not doing.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
WOL Support Conversations for unlocking certain fighters with fighters related to said Fighter, Smash Run would actually be possible now, and R O L L B A C K !

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
According to some people, there's never a time when "fan rule" can be correctly used. Even in cases like this when a fan comes up with a rule as to why certain characters can't get in (or at the very least, they strongly believe that the pattern won't be broken).

"Fan rule" has become some type offensive slang word in Smash speculation.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean it's never happened before in the last two games. And I'm talking about in the same game not like Little Mac from Brawl to Sm4sh or Dark Samus and Isabelle from Sm4sh to Ultimate.
Brawl didn't have DLC, so that's not good for precedent imo.

Smash 4, meanwhile, had less DLC than what Ultimate is getting.

In Ultimate, Bomberman got a mii costume as DLC, looking identical to the AT, and of course Sakurai and co. see a mii costume as sort-of close to being a fighter, at least according to what he said about Geno; Min Min, a character who already had a role as a spirit, became playable, and while spirits are different, it's still representation. A lot of stages have multiple ATs disabled, and nothing has ever been officially said about ATs being off the table for the future of a game's life cycle; they're not as hard to make as a fighter.

This is why some people think ATs have a chance. Of course, it probably won't happen, but nothing is saying it won't, just we may get more unrepresented characters instead. I don't see how anyone is in denial here.

Polan

Smash Lord
Brawl didn't have DLC, so that's not good for precedent imo.

Smash 4, meanwhile, had less DLC than what Ultimate is getting.

In Ultimate, Bomberman got a mii costume as DLC, looking identical to the AT, and of course Sakurai and co. see a mii costume as sort-of close to being a fighter, at least according to what he said about Geno; Min Min, a character who already had a role as a spirit, became playable, and while spirits are different, it's still representation. A lot of stages have multiple ATs disabled, and nothing has ever been officially said about ATs being off the table for the future of a game's life cycle; they're not as hard to make as a fighter.

This is why some people think ATs have a chance. Of course, it probably won't happen, but nothing is saying it won't, just we may get more unrepresented characters instead. I don't see how anyone is in denial here.
i mean the bomberman example is probably why no AT is getting upgraded. much easier to just make a mii costume of them than to actually work say waluigi and isaac in as full blown characters.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There's also the fact there are hundreds of characters and franchises already not presented in Smash and they would just go on to choose characters already represented in some form in the game?

Also, there's a difference between a spirit and an assist. One's basically a JPEG image, the other is a full-fledged model already in the game.

If anything I suspect the most we'll get to an "Assist upgrade" is those Mii costumes like Bomberman and nothing more.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man I've played a lot of Trails Sky SC lately thar I'm gonna be bummed when Estelle doesn't make it at all lmao
A few more characters, a few more stages, a few more Spirit battles, some more songs, the ability to transfer save data so I don't have to get every Spirit all over again, Spirits getting descriptions, an adventure mode that won't take 20 hours, more ATs and items, but most importantly, 2 things. Rollback Netcode and SHORT VIDEOS AFTER CLASSIC MODE WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY?

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
A boss rush mode, A playable Master Hand multi-man melee mode, And some kind of side scrolling beat-em up mode (something like adventure, subspace, or smash run)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
i mean the bomberman example is probably why no AT is getting upgraded. much easier to just make a mii costume of them than to actually work say waluigi and isaac in as full blown characters.
To be fair, Isaac and Waluigi don't fit the Mii Costume proportions as well as Bomberman.

Also Isaac already has a Mii in the base game so at least we don't have to live in fear of that.

ZelDan

Smash Master
There's also the fact there are hundreds of characters and franchises already not presented in Smash and they would just go on to choose characters already represented in some form in the game?

Also, there's a difference between a spirit and an assist. One's basically a JPEG image, the other is a full-fledged model already in the game.

If anything I suspect the most we'll get to an "Assist upgrade" is those Mii costumes like Bomberman and nothing more.
There being hundreds of characters/franchises not yet represented didn't stop them from adding Min Min as a playable character.

And if having a model already in the game was such a big deal, why bother making Bomberman a Mii costume in the first place?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There being hundreds of characters/franchises not yet represented didn't stop them from adding Min Min.

And if having a model already in the game was such a big deal, why bother making Bomberman a Mii costume in the first place?
A Mii costume is different. Its a costume, not a full-fledged model.

As mentioned the most I see of these "assist promotions" are Miis like Bomberman.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Okay here's my list.
  • Better adventure mode that has level design similar to Subspace Emissary but introduces worlds and enemies from each Nintendo or Third Party universe.
  • Instead of Fighter Spirits, Fighters are the only ones who get Trophies.
  • Replace Echo fighters special moves with some Smash 4 custom specials and give them stat buffs, nerfs and hitbox changes to make them different from their base counterparts.
  • More Stage Builder items. Add the ability to create your own Break the Targets and Board the Platform stages.
  • Create your own custom event matches.
  • Have a mechanic where you can buy elemental power and elemental protection. For elemental attacks you add them to your normal attacks like for example, you add an Electric elemental power to Mario's forward air and now it deals electric damage and deals more damage to opponents wearing Water elemental Protection.
  • Bring back the last 15 stages that were absent in Ultimate and add older Battlefields and Final Destinations into the game.
  • I want Ocarina of Time Adult Link back.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly, if they wanted to promote an assist, they already would have done it with Bomberman rather than making a Mii-lookalike.

Given we're also half-way through the pass until otherwise, I feel Min Min was an exception due to being under the request of her creator.

Last edited:

Polan

Smash Lord
There being hundreds of characters/franchises not yet represented didn't stop them from adding Min Min as a playable character.

why not? the model is there, bomberman is well liked and will sell. why not make him a mii costume?

cothero

Smash Lord
I was just thinking to myself here... If those rumours about a Monster Hunter rep being replaced by Byleth were true (and i'm quite neutral about it), that could mean we're not getting another Capcom rep at all. I mean, think about it. This replacement could relieve the lack of Nintendo representativity into FP, which was something even Nintendo's president was bothered at some point and even gave a statement about it. Plus, someone else here pointed out the fact that there's no Capcom representation in any DLC trailer since FP1 begun and that makes a lot of sense. We've seen Microsoft, Bamco, Konami, Square and Sega characters in those trailers, but no Capcom character at all. Of course it could mean nothing, but it's something quite strange nonetheless.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, if they wanted to promote an assist, they already would have done it with Bomberman rather than making a Mii-lookalike.

Given we're also half-way through the pass until otherwise, I feel Min Min was an exception due to being under the request of her creator.
Maybe I'm tired but I'm pretty sure the discussion's about what we'd like to see in a port for Ultimate, not DLC

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming all dlc comes with base now, but I'd love to see an actual story mode more akin to subspace. WoL was kinda lacking and hopefully Nintendo isn't backwards thinking about cutscenes again.

Polan

Smash Lord

yeah bomberman was ripe for a full blown upgrade to playable character. outside of his spirit and AT there isnt that much bomberman stuff in the game. but then he got mii'd. doesnt really paint a rosy picture for potential AT upgrades.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
yeah bomberman was ripe for a full blown upgrade to playable character. outside of his spirit and AT there isnt that much bomberman stuff in the game. but then he got mii'd. doesnt really paint a rosy picture for potential AT upgrades.
My thoughts exactly. Why go through that trouble then given the Mii lookalike we got instead?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Honestly, I really hope Ultimate isn't ported. If it's handled like MK8D, it'll probably be all of the DLC added in the base game at no extra cost, plus maybe an extra mode or two and a handful of new Spirits.

I can't see them releasing two Smash games on the same console, so if Ultimate Deluxe becomes a reality, that'll be our Smash game for the next five to seven years. Personally, I'd rather say goodbye to some characters and stages and get a game with a ton of new content than to cling on to everything we have now and get a game that's essentially the same thing but with a few additions.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
  • 4 more characters (assuming we don't get a Vol. 3 with that number)
    • Rex
    • Howard Twin
    • Ring Fit Trainee
    • Sora
  • Stages dedicated to those 4 characters as well
    • Gramps' Back
    • Harmony Square
    • Ring Fit Adventure
    • Station of Awakening
  • DLC and DX characters in Spirit Battles they weren't previously
  • Give :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultdarkpit: some of their bases' custom moves
  • Ho-Oh and Grima as added bosses
  • Proper Boss Rush (which, in my mind, would be a different take on the Station of Awakening)
  • Proper All-Star
  • Brawl-style Target Test
  • A sub-area dedicated to the DLC characters plus the DX characters (set between the Dark Realm and the Final Battle)
  • Alternate starting roster ft.
    • All 64 Veterans
    • :ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
  • No-brainer songs that somehow missed the cut
  • Coin Battles return
  • Return of Endless Smash and Rival Smash
  • Assist Trophies for DLC and DX series introduced
  • Descriptions for each Spirit

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly, I really hope Ultimate isn't ported. If it's handled like MK8D, it'll probably be all of the DLC added in the base game at no extra cost, plus maybe an extra mode or two and a handful of new Spirits.

I can't see them releasing two Smash games on the same console, so if Ultimate Deluxe becomes a reality, that'll be our Smash game for the next five to seven years. Personally, I'd rather say goodbye to some characters and stages and get a game with a ton of new content than to cling on to everything we have now and get a game that's essentially the same thing but with a few additions.
But think about it.

More additional characters (Ones that included assists).
More additional stages
More additional modes and content (Board the Platforms, Break the Targets, Boss Rush, WoL extended more story and cutscenes notably, etc.

Win-Win.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I was just thinking to myself here... If those rumours about a Monster Hunter rep being replaced by Byleth were true (and i'm quite neutral about it), that could mean we're not getting another Capcom rep at all. I mean, think about it. This replacement could relieve the lack of Nintendo representativity into FP, which was something even Nintendo's president was bothered at some point and even gave a statement about it. Plus, someone else here pointed out the fact that there's no Capcom representation in any DLC trailer since FP1 begun and that makes a lot of sense. We've seen Microsoft, Bamco, Konami, Square and Sega characters in those trailers, but no Capcom character at all. Of course it could mean nothing, but it's something quite strange nonetheless.
If it was true it wouldn't directly disconfirm them since it was all about base roster considerations.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that Ultimate is not getting a Deluxe version, because of sales problems and licensing issues.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
At the same time, Sakurai pointed out that Bomberman was an assist trophy that can now kind of be played as after the showcase in Steve's presentation. He's never done that with any other Mii costume of an AT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom