• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
If Google Translate is to be taken seriously, something about a joint project with Xbox in the fall.
In b4 it's turns out to be something way more lowkey, like an expansion to Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics that adds Halo characters for some reason.

It’s happening!
Hello! It’s-a me, Super Luigi, on the XBox One! wAHOOO-
Does the M-rating imply that we're getting a GTA-style game with Luigi?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be honest I'm not familiar with this guy. Is he supposed to have reliable sources, or it's the first time he has "leaked" something?
From my understanding he's correctly leaked things before, but his track record isn't 100%. He runs an xbox site and an xbox podcast, so that's his milieu.

The tweet was precipitated by Jeff Grubb saying that everything on Phil Spencer's shelf in a video was hinting at something, including the Switch that was displayed. Spencer likes to hint at things by putting them in the background of his videos, like the Series S. And Grubb is also fairly reliable.

i saw it in the social thread and wanted to share. That was the link used.
No worries. But actually following the links on that tweet would've taken you to the English source.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In b4 it's turns out to be something way more lowkey, like an expansion to Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics that adds Halo characters for some reason.
How in the world would "and suddenly, Master Chief" in a game with an artstyle that was not made to accommodate realistically proportioned humans be low key?

EDIT: For that matter, how in the world would "and suddenly, Master Chief" be low key in general?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How in the world would "and suddenly, Master Chief" in a game with an artstyle that was not made to accommodate realistically proportioned humans be low key?

EDIT: For that matter, how in the world would "and suddenly, Master Chief" be low key in general?
I don't think low key is the correct term.
I think "curveball" is more applicable.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If true, then I personally wouldn't expect a lot of things. Like maybe a new Banjo game that would release on Switch and Xbox, or the MCC collection on Switch. Maybe even Master Chief in Smash. Those are the options that come to my mind.

Maybe Gamepass on Switch? That would benefit Microsoft a lot, and maybe Nintendo would be okay with it seeing that so far both companies have shown a good relationship in the past few years.

SKX31

Smash Master

I don't think low key is the correct term.
I think "curveball" is more applicable.
I'm meaning low key as in "People talk about him appearing on a Nintendo system in the context of Smash Bros. Reactions to say Mario and Sonic would be different and not as well-recieved perhaps".

I should've used curveball or a different word (due to the implications low key has). My mistake.

Maybe Gamepass on Switch? That would benefit Microsoft a lot, and maybe Nintendo would be okay with it seeing that so far both companies have shown a good relationship in the past few years.
It's one of those things where I'm not sure how likely that is. It makes sense, but maybe it should've happened already. OTOH, getting GamePass on something like the Switch is not a trivial task, so it's fully possible that if they commit to it still.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The tweet was precipitated by Jeff Grubb saying that everything on Phil Spencer's shelf in a video was hinting at something, including the Switch that was displayed. Spencer likes to hint at things by putting them in the background of his videos, like the Series S. And Grubb is also fairly reliable.
Phil Spencer must’ve loved Chair Theory.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Game Pass comes to Switch, I'll assume it's going to be the mobile streaming service, which takes a looooooong time to start games up. They better fix that if it's coming to other platforms.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
i'm gonna laugh if we start hyping up gamepass on switch, master chief in Smash, etc. and it turns out all that's happening is, like, a Blinx port.
Thankfully, it probably isn't another buyout attempt. The last time they tried, Microsoft was literally laughed out of the room.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If true, then I personally wouldn't expect a lot of things. Like maybe a new Banjo game that would release on Switch and Xbox, or the MCC collection on Switch. Maybe even Master Chief in Smash. Those are the options that come to my mind.

All of those options are bigger than the collaborations which have preceded them imo.

I mean is it even a real shocker that Xbox and Nintendo are working together again for what, the 6th time?
When Spencer said something along the lines of it not being tenable to keep supporting Nintendo or something and people were like "oh I guess that's it for Microsoft and Nintendo"...

It behooves Microsoft to cozy up to Nintendo for many reasons. Having some sort of foothold in Japan, sticking it to Sony for as long as they're on top, getting in Nintendo's good graces for when gaming's streaming wars truly begin and MS puts all their chips into Gamepass.

As Nintendo and Microsoft's business ethos continue to diverge I think Spencer is smart to realize Nintendo is more useful to work with than fight against.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
All of those options are bigger than the collaborations which have preceded them imo.
Yeah that's for sure. What I tried to say was that I can't imagine a lot of options for more Microsoft-Nintendo collaborations. Of course, they could surprise us and of course, all this talk is assuming this guy's sources are right about this and we're indeed getting something MS/Nintendo related this upcoming Fall.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

When Spencer said something along the lines of it not being tenable to keep supporting Nintendo or something and people were like "oh I guess that's it for Microsoft and Nintendo"...

It behooves Microsoft to cozy up to Nintendo for many reasons. Having some sort of foothold in Japan, sticking it to Sony for as long as they're on top, getting in Nintendo's good graces for when gaming's streaming wars truly begin and MS puts all their chips into Gamepass.

As Nintendo and Microsoft's business ethos continue to diverge I think Spencer is smart to realize Nintendo is more useful to work with than fight against.
Yeah I remember he was like “we’d only do Game Pass if we could bring the whole ecosystem over as well” and like, that’s literally what xCloud is. Aside from that with how he said that at a time where Nintendo were super buddy buddy it was only a matter of time before they got SOMETHING worked out whether that’s a new game on Nintendo or xCloud on Nintendo we’ll see in June most likely.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Yeah that's for sure. What I tried to say was that I can't imagine a lot of options for more Microsoft-Nintendo collaborations. Of course, they could surprise us and of course, all this talk is assuming this guy's sources are right about this and we're indeed getting something MS/Nintendo related this upcoming Fall.
I mentioned this earlier, but Microsoft is one of those companies who is actually pretty hard to predict. It could be as simple as a port, or it could be something that'll make people think Microsoft buying Nintendo is a legit possibility (it's probably not gonna be THAT big, but you know what I mean). We won't know until we see what it is.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean is it even a real shocker that Xbox and Nintendo are working together again for what, the 6th time?
It's definitely not surprising perse, but I do think it's fascinating how far it has gone and continues to go. Nintendo and Microsoft not just proving themselves to be buddy buddy but Microsoft straight up becoming one of Nintendo's strongest partners and vice versa.

Gamepass on Switch would be so huge for expanding the Switch's library in general and potentially helping Microsoft's games reach a more worldwide audience. I'm really excited for the possibility and what else could be in store down the road.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Thankfully, it probably isn't another buyout attempt. The last time they tried, Microsoft was literally laughed out of the room.
I... don't know if I'd object to a Microsoft-Xbox merger? Xbox gets Nintendo's vast catalog of IPs and a dedicated handheld capable system, and Nintendo gets a better online, the option to use better hardware, and acess to Rare IPs. Sure, such a monopoly probably isn't healthy for the industry, but we would benefit. Things wouldn't neccecarily go south like they did for Rare in the 2000's.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I... don't know if I'd object to a Nintendo-Xbox merger? Xbox gets Nintendo's vast catalog of IPs and a dedicated handheld capable system, and Nintendo gets a better online, the option to use better hardware, and acess to Rare IPs. Sure, such a monopoly probably isn't healthy for the industry, but we would benefit. Things wouldn't neccecarily go south like they did for Rare in the 2000's.
Question: would that be a horizontal merger or a vertical merger? That sort of thing would come into play, I bet.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
A Nintendo-Xbox thing similar to Activision-Blizzard, which as far as I know both still operate each in their own, maybe could be good. But it's not gonna happen.

I doubt Nintendo would want that. They obviously seem to be happy with this kind of relationship with Microsoft, but that and being bought or/a Nintendo-Xbox merger are two very different things.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Idealizing it, Microsoft and Nintendo typically each excel at each other's shortcomings, so a merger would appear to create a very strong union without any glaring weaknesses.

But in reality the two have such different management styles and objectives (and, frankly, cultural backgrounds) that there would be nothing but friction trying to reconcile two vastly different entities together. As the relationship is right now, it's pretty one-sided, isn't it? Nintendo really hasn't made any concessions. That's not what they do.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah. I don't expect a full on buyout or a merger either.+
I mean, I think the reveal is more notable than DLC for a two and a half year-old game, but I also don't think this will come anywhere close to the level of some type of large-scale merger.

Maybe they're working on a game with Nintendo. Maybe they're bringing more exclusives to the Switch. Those would be two of my guesses, and I feel that comes closer to what we're actually getting than Smash or a merger.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My prediction for this Xbox thing is that the Switch would get access to xCloud. and maybe something minor like a Smash character, but Steve might have filled that niche.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Incidentally, the only way I can see Doomguy ever being playable in Smash is in the event of a Nintendo-Microsoft merger. He will now have to compete directly against Master Chief for a new Microsoft rep spot, but in the event of a merger both will become first party making it more likely that both will get in.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Incidentally, the only way I can see Doomguy ever being playable in Smash is in the event of a Nintendo-Microsoft merger. He will now have to compete directly against Master Chief for a new Microsoft rep spot, but in the event of a merger both will become first party making it more likely that both will get in.
Pretty sure I heard this exact same thing before but instead of Doomguy and Masterchief it was Steve and Banjo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eeeeh. If Doom continues to do well, I don't really see a reason why they couldn't both get in, or even if the Doom Slayer were to get in instead of Master Chief at some point since they both have their own merits for getting in.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My prediction for this Xbox thing is that the Switch would get access to xCloud. and maybe something minor like a Smash character, but Steve might have filled that niche.
Considering how Steve started talks five years ago (Though who knows when it actually started getting serious consideration) and Banjo was added too, I have a feeling Nintendo's good with how much Microsoft content Smash has at the moment. Wouldn't need to add an MS character, since they already did it twice.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally I'm surprised there've been no rumblings about Battletoads coming to Switch since that's a small-scale product like Cuphead and Ori and all the Rare stuff would probably perform pretty well on Switch. I don't know if it did that great either since it looks kinda wack so the Switch audience could help out on that one.

I don't think this is that. I think this will be bigger than that. I'm just surprised more people haven't speculated that game coming over.

Steve... wasn't the first Microsoft character in Smash... and this alleged hint happened after both existing ones already made it in.

Hey if we eventually get both people can start complaining that we now have too many of that archetype.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I... don't know if I'd object to a Microsoft-Xbox merger?
Maybe it would have cool results, but I'm pretty sure it literally can't happen. Japan itself has to approve of a merger of a Japanese company that size and there's no way it would, because Nintendo is a massive part of Japan's cultural identity around the world, and they'd never approve of it merging with a Western company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom