• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ooh, here's a fun discussion topic:

For me, I think I'd go with Monokuma. I don't think he's very likely this late in the game, but there's a part of me that just can't help but think maybe he still has a chance...
In the current world of speculation, all my most wanted characters are underdogs. If I had to pick one from my handful, I’d go with Porky.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

For me, I think I'd go with Monokuma. I don't think he's very likely this late in the game, but there's a part of me that just can't help but think maybe he still has a chance...
I think every one of my 50 most wanted characters are underdogs. I’ll go with the Battletoads since they are my brother’s favorite game characters ever.

I made a roster of my top 20 most wanted characters last night and I'm pretty sure every single one of them is extremely unlikely. I'm guessing most people wouldn't even recognize a lot of them.

Roster.jpg

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

While she's top of the roost in fan requests, in terms of business dealings I'd say Shantae.

Going for both barrels, then it would be Kat from Gravity Rush, a niche title on wholly owned by a direct competitor.

Sony and Nintendo always say that they don't see each other as competitors but we all know that's a lie as open slanderous rivalries are part of the 80's and 90's we're in no rush to return to.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

My definition of underdog is someone that barely been bring up as a possibility in Smash with at least the least supporter of them all.

My mind of course goes to Zhao Yun, Gran/Djeeta (even if they're from the same game as Katalina even her supporter inside Smash only knows her from Hitagi) and probably Ragna since everyone has been putting their trust to Sol. I'm mostly strongly believe that Zhao Yun has a chance for this one either as replacement or a secret cover up since no one gives a crap about him and his series until the other boat sink into the ocean, I'd say not even Kasumi could top him considering she's only being bring up just because she's an acquaintance and the main character in her own game, and if I want to get really bitter people just desperately want Ninja Gaiden representation (don't take it too seriously)

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
S Tier: Steve, Terry, Sephiroth

Out of these three, Steve was the only one I actively wanted to be in the game. I wanted him partially because I liked Minecraft, and partially because I thought the Steve-Banjo rivalry was dumb. I thought it would be hilarious if both got in, and they did, haha! I didn't know much about Terry, but my 8th grade History teacher loved the KoF games and let us play them sometimes during lunch, so I had some nostalgia for the character. Also, I main the shotos, so another auto-turnaround fighting game character was cool for me. The DLC villain I wanted was Dr Eggman, but Sephiroth did not disappoint. Really happy that FF got content in the end, and he's a blast to play in free for all.

A Tier: Joker, Byleth, Hero

I know borderline nothing about these characters. They're in A tier because they're the only characters a friend of mine wanted. I have nothing against the characters, and I think they're fun, but they just aren't for me. Hero is just super fun, and Dragon Quest was 1000% "deserving" of a spot in gaming's pantheon.

B Tier: Piranha Plant, Min Min, Banjo

I was just kinda neutral on these.

C Tier: Pyra, Mythra

Still neutral, but I really don't have any connection to xenoblade at all, so they're probably my least favorite. I'm not hating on then though, and they are fun to play.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Underdog picks?

Fulgore is easily one of those(considering he's battling with freaking Master Chief, and we already got two Microsoft characters, it's easy to see why).

Eh, Brian wouldn't count since he's too obscure to even be an underdog. XD No Family Guy pun intended.

Technomage

Smash Champion
  1. We ALL know that either a Switch upgrade or a Switch Pro that supports docked 4K is happening, and the Switch is still technically in the middle of it's lifecycle. As much as I hate the idea, it's possible we could get an Ultimate 'Encore' or 'Deluxe' which would be like MvC3 getting UMvC3: a facelift with possible UI changes, balance changes, system changes, and flat out new content such as stages and characters that you can only get via buying the new version of the game. This would allow Sakurai and his team to make multiple upgrades to the game as well as drive new hype and freshness for both the game and the Switch itself, but I'm pretty sure the player backlash would be massive.
So if we get an Ultimate Deluxe, what new characters could/would we get in base game? Here are some chars that I would like to get in/think should get in (I'll also be putting a limit of 10), since that seems reasonable and not too much to ask Sakurai for):

1) Krystal
2) Isaac
3) Shadow the Hedgehog or Knuckles the Echidna
4) Waluigi
5) Pokemon from the most recent Gen
6) Bomberman
7) Dixie Kong
8) Heihachi Mishima
9) Bandana Dee
10) Rayman

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hmm, what do we mean buy underdog?

Is it the normal terms for underdog, where they have a lesser chance to succeed but still potentially can? Or is this for characters that have absolutely NO chance but that I personally would love to see?

If it's the former, I think Amaterasu from Okami or Klonoa are big underdogs (both are also dogs I think, funny how that happened by pure coincidence) that people may be sleeping on a bit too hard. Maybe Rayman fits here too, I'm not sure though, as I think Rayman's chances are actually really good. I guess Spyro fits here since Crash is getting in over him.

For the latter, I've played a lot of games that I think people don't even know exist. Terry from Dragon Warrior Monsters, Mono from Magic Pengel: Quest For Color/Prince Pixel from Graffiti Kingdom, any of the base classes or Rico Jr from Dokapon Kingdom, and basically any character from a Humongous Entertainment game.

Warrior, Mage, Thief and Cleric

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Any Level-5 rep I think is an underdog choice. I understand that Level-5 have serious financial problems but well, at least Jibabyan is the only videogame Tokyo Olympics mascot.

Chosen Undead or anything from From Software

Western fighters that are not popular in japan like rayman, lara croft, scorpion, doomslayer, etc.

Bill Razer from Contra.

Mm maybe nintendo reps from games that have not an entry in switch like Isaac.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So if we get an Ultimate Deluxe, what new characters could/would we get in base game? Here are some chars that I would like to get in/think should get in (I'll also be putting a limit of 10), since that seems reasonable and not too much to ask Sakurai for):

1) Krystal
2) Isaac
3) Shadow the Hedgehog or Knuckles the Echidna
4) Waluigi
5) Pokemon from the most recent Gen
6) Bomberman
7) Dixie Kong
8) Heihachi Mishima
9) Bandana Dee
10) Rayman
I'd say it would be a great opportunity to add some recent switch games characters that couldn't be add as dlc. So I'd go with Akira from Astral chain and Ring fit adventurer. Then I would promote one or two assist trophies (which would be Waluigi and/or Isaac). I'd finished that with one last third party (maybe something big like Crash Bandicoot assuming he's not on the pass). Finally I would throw there some final echo fighters (probably Dixie kong and Octoling). This would make a total of 4 or 5 more characters + 2 echo fighters, which considering how big the roster already is, that's more than enough for me.

Technomage

Smash Champion

Underdog picks, eh? Assuming that means "characters not often discussed in speculation" and/or "characters not seen as very likely", I'd go with an Etrian Odyssey character. It fits both contexts, since an EO char doesn't seem likely, and because I don't see EO discussed very much here.

As for which char to rep EO, I'd pick the Imperial, not only due to his/her potential for a unique moveset, but also due to using what's arguably the series' most iconic weapon, the Drive Blade (plus, I love vibroweapons, especially mechanically-powered ones).

As for whether it'd be the male variants, the female ones, or both, I'm not completely sure, but I don't think their proportions are similar enough to make both as alternate costumes. On the other hand, Smash would probably at least use the female variants, since in Etrian Odyssey, the female versions of character classes are more often seen in promotional material, with the "mascots" of each game being female.

For more info on how Imperials would play in Smash, here's how they play in their home series:

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Some characters that I feel are kinda slept on?

I'm definately in the "if we get a Tales rep, Yuri's most likely boat" too. But I don't think we'll get a tales rep.

Regarding characters I think are slept on, honestly?
Goku.
I don't think he's massively likely but I disagree that he's wholly impossible, and I'm predicting that he'll be the final character (Mostly so that if it does turn out to happen I can brag about calling it for the rest of my life)

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm definately in the "if we get a Tales rep, Yuri's most likely boat" too. But I don't think we'll get a tales rep.

Regarding characters I think are slept on, honestly?
Goku.
I don't think he's massively likely but I disagree that he's wholly impossible, and I'm predicting that he'll be the final character (Mostly so that if it does turn out to happen I can brag about calling it for the rest of my life)
Eh, I don't see non-game characters happening for Ultimate's DLC; however, I do believe there will come a time where Sakurai's ban on non-game chars would be lifted (probably by someone else), even if it were to take decades or even a century, in which case I see Son Goku as the most likely to be the first non-game addition.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
My post wasn't really in the line of "I think one of those 3 will be in the next remaining DLC slots". I just mentioned some characters I feel could surprise us and make it in for different reasons but that people in general barely discuss. To clarify: not only here but also in other forums or social media, because ironically the most talk I've seen for those characters has been in Smashboards lol

I also have a few other characters in mind but some of them I can understand why people won't discuss nowadays because their company already got a character in this Pass. Which would be the case for the likes of Neku Sakuraba, for example.

Then it's kinda funny but Sol Badguy I feel has received quite the attention and discussion (at least in Smashboards), considering he's a very left field option. Not like I'm complaining about it, but for that reason I don't see him as much as of underdog as the other characters I listed.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Any Of These I'd consider "Underdog"

-Estelle
-Saber
-Sakura
-Gordon Freeman
-Don-chan
-A Blizzard Rep
-Demi-fiend
-A Story Of Seasons/Rune Factory Rep
-Tsubasa Oribe

Last edited:

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500

Don’t think anyone’s mentioned Laharl from Disgaea, so I guess he counts as an underdog pick of mine.

Ezio and Dovahkiin are also picks I consider underdogs, but they’re probably less likely to appear as one of the final two due to their companies already having DLC content without a fighter.

SKX31

Smash Master
Coward. I bet you didn't know that Sheik is Zelda.
Don't you remember the time when Sephiroth summoned Meteor and-

Sakurai spoils it all with Northern Crater.

Aaaah ****. At least it's possible to recreate the moment where checks notes Sephiroth catches Cloud with an Ocatslash offstage and carries him off the blastzone towards the ground as Meteor explod- Wait, wrong notes. (:4pacman: )

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I think every one of my 50 most wanted characters are underdogs. I’ll go with the Battletoads since they are my brother’s favorite game characters ever.

I made a roster of my top 20 most wanted characters last night and I'm pretty sure every single one of them is extremely unlikely. I'm guessing most people wouldn't even recognize a lot of them.

View attachment 310862
Tell you what, you have some banger taste my friend. Sub-Zero, Fulgore, Magus, Bill Rizer, Gengar, Goombella...this is the best timeline that we don't deserve.
Underdog pick.
I feel like all of my most wanteds (Isaac, Scorpion, Toad, Dragonborn, Rayman) are in that awkward space of speculation. They're discussed too often to be considered sleeper picks, but they aren't really "front runners" either.

I guess my big underdog pick would be Ray from Custom Robo.

He's in a similar position to Isaac. They're both first party characters from rather niche and dormant franchises from the 2000s. The main difference being that Isaac is like the most popular character ever, while Ray has like fifteen supporters. But man, Custom Robo is just so ****ing good. I didn't even realize that the game was obscure because me and all three of my closest friends had the game growing up. Along with Melee, Mario Party, and Kirby Air Ride, it was one of those Gamecube games that would constantly be busted out during parties. It was such a big part of my childhood. God, I want a Custom Robo revival so damn badly.

CureParfait

Smash Ace

For that I would go with either Boyfriend from Friday Night Funkin or Monokuma from Danganronpa.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if he counts as an underdog, because he seems to have a decent chance. As far as fan speculation goes, though, the Chosen Undead isn't talked about all that much. A Dark Souls character has basically been my most wanted since I played Dark Souls in 2014. I would love a Bearer of the Curse alt, because I actually really enjoyed Dark Souls II.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom