• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Huh, was really hoping for some discussion around my DLC topic I brought up, but apparently no one wants to talk about future DLC but only what DLC we've already gotten.

My answer to that is simple: I haven't been disappointed by a single inclusion when it comes to their gameplay, and I've only been mildly disappointed via ARMS reveal and Byleth but Min Min's official reveal was dope as ****.

As someone who essentially only wants Geno, rather than be like some fans and get upset or pissed every time another character gets in instead, I realize that my desire is very hyper-focused and that while extremely likely to happen, not every character reveal can appeal directly to me so I just kinda enjoy them for what they are: brand new content that could have not happened.

That said I popped off for Sephiroth.
What was the thing you brought up? I'll admit, I've been doing a lot of skimming on this thread today...

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
What was the thing you brought up? I'll admit, I've been doing a lot of skimming on this thread today...
I'll do my best to summarize. Once again, my forte is details and 'telling the whole story' so forgive me.

So in the light of evidence of massive cash money from just the first three characters of Pass 2 and big money from Pass 1, Furakawa has gone on record that he plans to explore DLC avenues even more in the future. The numbers show that not only did Steve make Pass 2 lots of money, but the sales of Ultimate itself reached launch-levels of sales due to the massive pull of the block man and didn't really fall off until Pyra/Mythra. There is clearly still big money to be made with Smash Ultimate, and adding in stuff I've said a lot before like the success of fighting games and season passes and Nintendo embracing new tactics more and more, I believe there is still more after these last two Challenger Packs.

However, Sakurai's words are interesting, as he suggests that the last two characters mark the end of his special personal presentations of the characters. So, if Sakurai is telling the truth about this, what scenario would work for both Sakurai's statement and what seems to be lining up for more content?

I've come up with two scenarios myself:
  1. Apparently in an interview, Furakawa mentioned that he likes devs to have more freedom in how they do things. Since Kimishima was President when Ultimate was in the majority of it's development and Furakawa wasn't President until May of 2018 which was after when we known Sakurai was confronted about doing DLC, maybe Sakurai and Co are making more DLC but how they will be revealed and presented will change. Other things backing this could be making enough of a profit to make more big budget breakdowns like Joker's, or how Sakurai mentioned he doesn't like the idea of asking you to buy a pass with no character reveals and thus things could go back to the Smash 4 days with individual DLC packs only. TL;DR: Sakurai had to do the last two passes this way and didn't like it, but maybe now he could have more control over reveals and presentations.

2. We ALL know that either a Switch upgrade or a Switch Pro that supports docked 4K is happening, and the Switch is still technically in the middle of it's lifecycle. As much as I hate the idea, it's possible we could get an Ultimate 'Encore' or 'Deluxe' which would be like MvC3 getting UMvC3: a facelift with possible UI changes, balance changes, system changes, and flat out new content such as stages and characters that you can only get via buying the new version of the game. This would allow Sakurai and his team to make multiple upgrades to the game as well as drive new hype and freshness for both the game and the Switch itself, but I'm pretty sure the player backlash would be massive.
I was wondering what you guys thought about these possibilities and perhaps even your own ideas on how they could continue to give us more content down the line. Of course, Pass 2 could be the end, but I'm choosing to have an optimistic discussion here and that idea is a discussion killer in general, so don't bother bringing it up as it's clearly already been considered.

Shroob

Sup?
I'll do my best to summarize. Once again, my forte is details and 'telling the whole story' so forgive me.

So in the light of evidence of massive cash money from just the first three characters of Pass 2 and big money from Pass 1, Furakawa has gone on record that he plans to explore DLC avenues even more in the future. The numbers show that not only did Steve make Pass 2 lots of money, but the sales of Ultimate itself reached launch-levels of sales due to the massive pull of the block man and didn't really fall off until Pyra/Mythra. There is clearly still big money to be made with Smash Ultimate, and adding in stuff I've said a lot before like the success of fighting games and season passes and Nintendo embracing new tactics more and more, I believe there is still more after these last two Challenger Packs.

However, Sakurai's words are interesting, as he suggests that the last two characters mark the end of his special personal presentations of the characters. So, if Sakurai is telling the truth about this, what scenario would work for both Sakurai's statement and what seems to be lining up for more content?

1. Apparently in an interview, Furakawa mentioned that he likes devs to have more freedom in how they do things. Since Kimishima was President when Ultimate was in the majority of it's development and Furakawa wasn't President until May of 2018 which was after when we known Sakurai was confronted about doing DLC, maybe Sakurai and Co are making more DLC but how they will be revealed and presented will change. Other things backing this could be making enough of a profit to make more big budget breakdowns like Joker's, or how Sakurai mentioned he doesn't like the idea of asking you to buy a pass with no character reveals and thus things could go back to the Smash 4 days with individual DLC packs only. TL;DR: Sakurai had to do the last two passes this way and didn't like it, but maybe now he could have more control over reveals and presentations.

2. We ALL know that either a Switch upgrade or a Switch Pro that supports docked 4K is happening, and the Switch is still technically in the middle of it's lifecycle. As much as I hate the idea, it's possible we could get an Ultimate 'Encore' or 'Deluxe' which would be like MvC3 getting UMvC3: a facelift with possible UI changes, balance changes, system changes, and flat out new content such as stages and characters that you can only get via buying the new version of the game. This would allow Sakurai and his team to make multiple upgrades to the game as well as drive new hype and freshness for both the game and the Switch itself, but I'm pretty sure the player backlash would be massive.
I was wondering what you guys thought about these possibilities and perhaps even your own ideas on how they could continue to give us more content down the line. Of course, Pass 2 could be the end, but I'm choosing to have an optimistic discussion here and that idea is a discussion killer in general, so don't bother bringing it up as it's clearly already been considered.

So basically, "don't talk about things I don't want to hear."

The pass ending isn't a discussion killer, because we still have 2 characters to go, and we don't know who they are, nor will we until June at the earliest, and that's only for maybe 1 of them. Hell, not even 2 weeks ago people were talking about the potential of a bonus character due to the New Zealand ****up, which may or may not have amounted to anything.

Thinking that pass 2 ending kills discussion is ridiculous, because if it was, then this thread wouldn't be the de-facto most active thread on the site. The only way it kills discussion is when the final character of Pass 2 is shown off and Sakurai announces that that's all, until then, Pass 2 is frankly near-infinite discussion.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gonna do a writeup at some point this week on why Rean Schwarzer is criminally underrated in terms of the odds of being CP11. Probs not tonight, some personal stuff has gone down the past few days and I do not feel like doing a super in depth write up, but soon.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ooh, here's a fun discussion topic:

For me, I think I'd go with Monokuma. I don't think he's very likely this late in the game, but there's a part of me that just can't help but think maybe he still has a chance...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

For me, I think I'd go with Monokuma. I don't think he's very likely this late in the game, but there's a part of me that just can't help but think maybe he still has a chance...
As I said above, Rean Schwarzer. I personally think he has a relatively solid shot right now. Will probs do a big write up later this week.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I think I just did one of these like two months ago, but hey, if everyone else is doing it:p

S tier::ultsephiroth::ultjoker::ult_terry:

It’s funny because these are the three newcomers that were the most “left field” for me. I definitely didn’t expect to see Persona 5 in Smash, and SNK was pretty far down the list of companies that I would’ve expected to get a rep. Sephiroth was a bit more predictable, but personally, I was not expecting another Squeenix character. That said, Sakurai nailed it with each of these characters. They all have their own unique traits that set them apart from the rest of the cast, but nothing too bold and gimmicky that it’s intimidating. Their gameplay just hits that sweet spot. Plus, each of them came with great stages and some of the best music. Fantastic additions.

A+ tier::ultminmin

This one’s kind of bitter sweet. I genuinely love ARMS and Min Min is my favorite character from the game. I was pretty freaking pumped to see her included. Her stage is great, her music is fantastic, and she represents ARMS really well...almost too well. Yeah, her gameplay is a bit jarring and takes a bit to get the hang of. But once I began to vibe with her gameplay, I really started enjoying her! Except when I started playing with friends and they all hated me for playing a “broken character.” I don’t know, it’s weird. Playing against Min Min is like playing a completely different game. Overall I really like her, but like I said, it’s bitter sweet.

A tier::ultsteve::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie:

I like these guys! Gameplay-wise, Hero and Steve are pretty...insane, but in a good way. Hero’s randomness can be extremely fun and Steve’s mechanics are exactly what I wanted from a Minecraft character. And seeing Banjo is just so freaking wonderful. He fits Smash like a glove. None of these are characters that I have a deep connection with, but I it’s still really cool to see them here.

A- tier::ultpyra:

Yeah I didn’t really like Xenoblade 2. I accepted that Rex would probably be added, and that I would feel a general “meh” towards his inclusion and that would be that. Luckily that didn’t happen! Pyra and Mythra are way better alternatives. They’re fun, they’re unique, they’re stage is awesome, we get two new waifus! I don’t love them as much as the characters above, but that’s more of testament to how great the DLC is in general.

C tier::ultbyleth:

I wish that I wasn’t on the “Fire Emblem bad” train, but compared to every other DLC character, Byleth really pales in comparison. Their trailer was boring, their gameplay is fine, and the timing of their inclusion was awful. I like Fire Emblem and I enjoyed Three Houses (way more than Xenoblade 2), but Byleth just did not appeal to me. We already had more than enough FE characters, and Byleth didn’t add anything gameplay-wise or representation-wise to make their inclusion worthwhile imo. Plus, the “hoes mad” meme was just annoying. Sorry, I wish that I had more positive things to say, but Byleth really didn’t live up to the expectations set by every character that came before (and after). Even now, I find a hard time warming up to them.

Ultimate is the best game that has ever happened and the DLC has been amazing. It bums me out that we probably aren’t getting a Fighters Pass 3 because I would happily pay for whoever they might add. Sakurai has done a fantastic job and I can’t wait to see what’s left of FP2.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So basically, "don't talk about things I don't want to hear."

The pass ending isn't a discussion killer, because we still have 2 characters to go, and we don't know who they are, nor will we until June at the earliest, and that's only for maybe 1 of them. Hell, not even 2 weeks ago people were talking about the potential of a bonus character due to the New Zealand ****up, which may or may not have amounted to anything.

Thinking that pass 2 ending kills discussion is ridiculous, because if it was, then this thread wouldn't be the de-facto most active thread on the site. The only way it kills discussion is when the final character of Pass 2 is shown off and Sakurai announces that that's all, until then, Pass 2 is frankly near-infinite discussion.
I'm not sure how you looked at that entire post and got 'Don't talk about things I don't wanna hear' instead of perhaps 'Don't talk about the obvious response that kills this particular discussion because I'm trying to open a different kind of discussion'.

Talking about the end of Pass 2 being the end of DLC IS a killer of this kind of discussion, and it's precisely the discussion of more content AFTER Pass 2 that I'm trying to have. If you had read my post with a little less bias, you may have saw that.

Besides, I've already expired such discussion about who the last characters could be by both viewing everyone here go through repeating cycles of who they could be and always coming back around to the same old discussions, and outside of this thread my friends either have no interest in such discussion or we've reach our limit via research and process of elimination. Pass 2 is nowhere near-infinite, as there are clear front runners and those who have lost massive ground as well as those who never had any to begin with and without new information I have reached the limit of what I deem to be intelligent speculation, although if you just want to throw all of that to the wind and seriously consider characters like Bonk, Putt-Putt, Toe Jam & Earl and others in such positions of unlikelihood just by taking a stance of 'Technically, anyone can happen!' then you can feel free to do so but I find that to be very unappealing as I'm attempting to be accurate instead of just entertaining all possibilities.

Now, do you have anything add to the idea of my scenarios for possible DLC approach past Pass 2?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not sure how you looked at that entire post and got 'Don't talk about things I don't wanna hear' instead of perhaps 'Don't talk about the obvious response that kills this particular discussion because I'm trying to open a different kind of discussion'.

Talking about the end of Pass 2 being the end of DLC IS a killer of this kind of discussion, and it's precisely the discussion of more content AFTER Pass 2 that I'm trying to have. If you had read my post with a little less bias, you may have saw that.

Besides, I've already expired such discussion about who the last characters could be by both viewing everyone here go through repeating cycles of who they could be and always coming back around to the same old discussions, and outside of this thread my friends either have no interest in such discussion or we've reach our limit via research and process of elimination. Pass 2 is nowhere near-infinite, as there are clear front runners and those who have lost massive ground as well as those who never had any to begin with and without new information I have reached the limit of what I deem to be intelligent speculation, although if you just want to throw all of that to the wind and seriously consider characters like Bonk, Putt-Putt, Toe Jam & Earl and others in such positions of unlikelihood just by taking a stance of 'Technically, anyone can happen!' then you can feel free to do so but I find that to be very unappealing as I'm attempting to be accurate instead of just entertaining all possibilities.

Now, do you have anything add to the idea of my scenarios for possible DLC approach past Pass 2?
My thing to add is that I don't think Sakurai's "trolling" or misleading us, simple as that.

I'm all for there being more DLC, but the man has been nothing but honest with this game. When he admitted to revealing too much in the Augist 2018 Direct, well, he meant it, since there were only 2 characters left to be shown off, with DLC.

In an ideal scenario, I'm all for the camp of Ultimate being ported over and over again with more and more content added on top, like say, an Ultimate DX which polishes some blemishes on the game, like maybe some more returning stages, and adding DLC Palutena's Guidances, but if this is it, then that's fine with me.

So I guess I'd be for option B in your scenario, because frankly, aside from one-off events, like the Sephiroth challenge, Ultimate's biggest gripe that I have is a lack of modes, an Ultimate, but better, could remedy that.

Shroob

Sup?
Don't ya'll ever get tired of talking about the same things over and over? How many times have we done dlc character rankings at this point?
How many times have we talked about frontrunners?

Or leaks?

Or cuts?

Or potential future DLC?

We're all mad here.

Because madness is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting it to be different.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Don't ya'll ever get tired of talking about the same things over and over? How many times have we done dlc character rankings at this point?
Well we already did our obligatory monthly Cacamallow discussion, leak discussion, and we had the AT discomfirmation discussion already, what do you expect? /s

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
My thing to add is that I don't think Sakurai's "trolling" or misleading us, simple as that.

I'm all for there being more DLC, but the man has been nothing but honest with this game. When he admitted to revealing too much in the Augist 2018 Direct, well, he meant it, since there were only 2 characters left to be shown off, with DLC.

In an ideal scenario, I'm all for the camp of Ultimate being ported over and over again with more and more content added on top, like say, an Ultimate DX which polishes some blemishes on the game, like maybe some more returning stages, and adding DLC Palutena's Guidances, but if this is it, then that's fine with me.

So I guess I'd be for option B in your scenario, because frankly, aside from one-off events, like the Sephiroth challenge, Ultimate's biggest gripe that I have is a lack of modes, an Ultimate, but better, could remedy that.
I also don't think Sakurai is misleading us, but rather that what he is saying is true but doesn't give the whole picture, although it's not unlike companies to do such things anymore.

So that is a good point I forgot to mention: a port of Ultimate would be much more likely to have more work done on it past more characters and stages, and thus could lead to us having lots of cool things added. My friend brought up the return of more options to play, such as bringing back Break The Targets and now having all these new characters to make customized BTT stages for. We could also see a return of Coin Battles, or Board The Platforms. Other things could be Smash Run, Boss Rush, a Spirit's version of Trophy Rush, more content in WoL, possible more returning bosses or even new ones, changes to Classic Mode, more new modes or returning ones, etc.

I would very much be down to clown with more Guidances, and if there was actually enough work on the game to really freshen it up I suppose I would be a little less mad to pay full price for what is just a better version of the same game, but previous experiences don't give me much hope in that department. When considering the amount of profit made by having a smaller team make less content that makes as much or more money, I really think they would lean with just releasing individual DLC or making another pass, but man I gotta say I'd love me some more Smash Run.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well, as I've mentioned countless times, I'm good with a Smash Ultimate DX with some new content. I just hope either Smash Run returns or there is some very replayable singleplayer content like it or Adventure Mode.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

Ooh, this gave me a new perspective on things! Maybe, instead of Sakurai meaning we'll only get two more characters (+possible bonus could be an echo or something, thus not needing a breakdown. Though, we did just fine with Plant sans a Sakurai Presents, so we could even get someone unique), he meant he'll only do two more Presents. Maybe some sort of new format, or an echo/semi clones pass could be on the table. Of course, I don't think this is very likely, but I had taken Sakurai to mean there would only be two more characters, when it's not impossible for him to have meant something else.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

One could argue both of my most-wanteds; Reimu and Adol. Though, the former is still spread pretty wide despite her games' unorthodox localization, thanks to the fanworks and osmosis, and the latter has solid legacy and at his back and his series is still going quite smoothly.

In terms of actual darkhorses who don't have as much to make me optimistic, let's go with Sakura. The former is a lot more Japan-centric than the likes of Fire Emblem and even Touhou, but it's still a true juggernaut in Japan and Sega's at least making an attempt to bring the series to the West, like with the 2019 game and Project X Zone. Also at least one of the animes; That probably counts for something, at least. She's not the safest of choices, of course, but I think there's still a chance.

If we're going for a really risky choice, Isaac. Yes, he's an AT, and yes, the new Mario Golf game casts a lot of doubt on a new Golden Sun game. But still, I can't help but wonder if Nintendo'll turn around and add him in, just for his sheer popularity. Hope's one heck of a drug, I suppose.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
How long will they keep supporting Ultimate after the DLC ends, anyway? I could see a lot of companies still wanting Spirit Board events to promote their titles.
I’m definitely expecting more Spirit events as well. Maybe even some stage drops a la Small Battlefield.

And as much as I shouldn’t think this, I sincerely doubt that Fighters Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate’s roster. It’s just so unfathomable that Nintendo would stop supporting the best selling fighting game of all time after just two Fighters Passes. Dragonball Fighterz, Street Fighter V, Tekken 7 all got tons of DLC for years after their releases and those games don’t hold a candle to Ultimate’s popularity. Whether it’s a fighters pass 3 that comes along right after FP2, random character drops to promote new releases, an echo pack, or “Ultimate Definitive Edition” I just have a hard time believing that Nintendo would completely drop Smash so early. Ultimate’s hype has not died down whatsoever and I’m sure Nintendo realizes that.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Bandana Dee all the way for me.

Shroob

Sup?
I’m definitely expecting more Spirit events as well. Maybe even some stage drops a la Small Battlefield.

And as much as I shouldn’t think this, I sincerely doubt that Fighters Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate’s roster. It’s just so unfathomable that Nintendo would stop supporting the best selling fighting game of all time after just two Fighters Passes. Dragonball Fighterz, Street Fighter V, Tekken 7 all got tons of DLC for years after their releases and those games don’t hold a candle to Ultimate’s popularity. Whether it’s a fighters pass 3 that comes along right after FP2, random character drops to promote new releases, an echo pack, or “Ultimate Definitive Edition” I just have a hard time believing that Nintendo would completely drop Smash so early. Ultimate’s hype has not died down whatsoever and I’m sure Nintendo realizes that.
I think it's a bit facetious to compare Nintendo to other companies, however, because we've seen time and time again how they simply don't follow what everyone else does and marches to their own, awkward beat.

I don't think anyone doubts that more DLC for Smash would 100% print money, but at the same time? If they pulled the plug after Pass 2, I could legitimately see them do that, since that's just something they'd do.

Nintendo is the ONE company that I fully see staring down something that prints money and saying "Eh, we're gonna do something else now."

Nintendo loves money, but you also can't really say they follow industry trends, at all, or at least, in a timely fashion. Hell, their online structure and approach to DLC is pretty antiquated all things considered. Only recently in the last decade or so have they really started to come into the modern era of online and DLC, and even then, they're extremely flippant about how they handle it. Games that were begging for DLC never got any, while games that did get it got cut short. That's just Nintendo for you, and Smash really is no exception here, despite what we may think. For all we know, they legitimately could be staring down FP2's sales, seeing it be a huge success, and still opt to move onto something else, we just don't know, and yet, because it's Nintendo, I can see them doing this.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I

Isaac will be my underdog choice I guess. I don't think ATs really disconfirm like many others do, so I do think he still does have a chance.

His best chance at this point would probably be if Nintendo/Sakurai wanted to include another Smash ballot pick/"banjo-esque dream pick" for FP2, something that hasn't really happened for FP2 yet I think.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
please buy scribblenauts mega pack for the nintendo switch. it's only 8 bucks at the moment.

please. the series is on it's death bed, a purchace might save the series.
I like Scribblenauts, but tbh I was disappointed by this a little; when I read “Mega Pack” I got my hopes up for a collection of the series or at least the original three games, not just the third one and the DC crossover ._.

That said, I’m still a bit interested in getting it, but idk.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Ayoo, Adam!

As for the actual question, I'm not saying it again. I've talked your ears off long enough.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice

Since there are two spots left, these are the "underdogs" that I would choose for Smash to be an actual fighter.
* For Nintendo characters, I would go with Itsuki or Tsubasa from TMS FE Encore and Luke from Buddy Mission: BOND.
** Why TMS FE? Well, it is one of the many hopeful projects that Nintendo first thought of to crossover with their own IP with a third party IP. Though it did have many controversial change like censorship, localization, etc, and it sold very low. Nintendo still gives it a shot to port the game over to the Switch with some brand new contents like a extra dungeon, a assist feature, or songs that were cut from the Wii U version, and the new outfits that comes from Persona 5, SMT Strangle Journey, Etrian Odyssey, and FE: Three House. With only one spirit in Smash, I felt that there is a opportunity to expand even more contents from that game despite it being another FE character as a DLC fighter and I don't think the music track is a issue as 9 vocal tracks make it into FE Heroes without any issues.
** For Luke, I just taking a gamble of this character of being the wild card for the Smash DLC fighter spot. Brand new Nintendo IP that could success or fail and still make it into Smash as a potential fighter.

* For third party characters, there are so many to choose from, I guess Skullomania from Fighting EX Layer and... Jonesy/Ramirez from Fortnite.
** AKIRA been helping with Nintendo for a long time, and they were the one who also help Nintendo's own idea of Tetris 99 and Super Mario 35. I felt like one of their character like Skullomania could be a Smash fighter. Though just because a company have a long time relationship with Nintendo doesn't mean their character can actually be a fighter for Smash cough cough.
** Fortnite, well, I going to believe in the prophecy of Max Dood.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
[underdog pick]
My underdog at the moment is still Tails. Kinda weird to call such a generally popular and iconic character an underdog but when you've got a DLC mii costume it's an uphill climb, not to mention Eggman's influx in support. I'm feeling good about Sega getting another character, and I think Sonic remains their heaviest hitter and most reasonable outcome despite everything. And I still feel strongly that we'll get another character from a series with pre-existing content, since we've gotten 3/4 that fit that mold thus far. Maybe in part from my own lowered expectations toward Arle, but the time kinda feels right for more Sonic. Arle is a bit of an underdog in her own right, but I'm trying not to just plug the characters I personally want here.

Stretching it a little further... maybe anyone from Shin Megami Tensei? Yeah, I know we have Persona content, but it's really kind of a head-scratcher that we haven't seen any content from its origin series with a rich Nintendo history and a mascot character who would have made SUCH an obvious Mii hat (Jack Frost). Of course that isn't my only justification though - SMTV is on the horizon and the Nocturne remaster too, so I dunno. Not something I think will happen but it's something I almost never see people acknowledge can happen. Because it's very much a different beast than Persona overall.

And last but not least uhh... well conversation around Dark Souls has been gaining some more traction lately so I don't know if it really qualifies anymore. But I've been on that wave for a while now, seeing how DS is one of the biggest and most impactful games to come out of the last decade and how DLC has kinda found a good balance between legacy characters and more modern picks. Dark Souls, much like Minecraft, pretty much qualifies for both at this point and is a series that has already found greater success than most of Namco's other best-selling series in a fraction of the time. I think when the Namco discussion comes up it's easy to glance over Dark Souls since it being an acquisition makes it feel a bit detached... but that didn't stop Joker. I still believe Chosen Undead or Solaire are the Namco frontrunner, if they did get a character (which I'm not entirely convinced of for Mii related reasons as is).

Skullomania from Fighting EX Layer
I want to believe... having Street Fighter EX / EX Layer music in Smash is a huge pipe dream of mine, let alone Skullomania himself.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Since there are two spots left, these are the "underdogs" that I would choose for Smash to be an actual fighter.
* For Nintendo characters, I would go with Itsuki or Tsubasa from TMS FE Encore and Luke from Buddy Mission: BOND.
** Why TMS FE? Well, it is one of the many hopeful projects that Nintendo first thought of to crossover with their own IP with a third party IP. Though it did have many controversial change like censorship, localization, etc, and it sold very low. Nintendo still gives it a shot to port the game over to the Switch with some brand new contents like a extra dungeon, a assist feature, or songs that were cut from the Wii U version, and the new outfits that comes from Persona 5, SMT Strangle Journey, Etrian Odyssey, and FE: Three House. With only one spirit in Smash, I felt that there is a opportunity to expand even more contents from that game despite it being another FE character as a DLC fighter and I don't think the music track is a issue as 9 vocal tracks make it into FE Heroes without any issues.
** For Luke, I just taking a gamble of this character of being the wild card for the Smash DLC fighter spot. Brand new Nintendo IP that could success or fail and still make it into Smash as a potential fighter.

* For third party characters, there are so many to choose from, I guess Skullomania from Fighting EX Layer and... Jonesy/Ramirez from Fortnite.
** AKIRA been helping with Nintendo for a long time, and they were the one who also help Nintendo's own idea of Tetris 99 and Super Mario 35. I felt like one of their character like Skullomania could be a Smash fighter. Though just because a company have a long time relationship with Nintendo doesn't mean their character can actually be a fighter for Smash cough cough.
** Fortnite, well, I going to believe in the prophecy of Max Dood.
I'm not sure if Buddy Mission: BOND is coming out in the west, if it does I would put that on my radar.

Skullomania would be hilarious. If a bit too low-key if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Sgt. Cortez is always my go to for this kind of talk.

Time to Split!

Oh yeah I'm ready.gif

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok so the Great Ace Attorney duology wasn't announced at the concert.
However
There was a problem fetching the tweet
It still has localized names for everything, which also includes Great Ace Attorney itself. So that's even more evidence that it's real. Maybe an E3 announcement alongside...

VAN ZIEKS! FOR HIS NEUTRAL SPECIAL HE USES A RACIAL SLUR AND FOR HIS DOWN SPECIAL HE TOSSES WINE

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Aren't the first two kinda redundant if you have 3?
Not exactly; the first two have their own levels and limits and stuff, while Ultimate is sort of a sandbox with different missions in multiple worlds (the first two had a sandbox too but it was its own thing not containing levels/missions) and custom stuff, so gameplay is somewhat different.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Adding Goku would definitely cause a huge divide in the community and would validate a lot of non video game characters.

Goku would be unironically cool to see in Smash though. Personally I think non video game characters should have hugely successful video games before they're allowed in, something Goku qualifies in.
Geralt and Batman are far more qualified if we go by that.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

For me, it's Gordon Freeman.
gordonsmash.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom