• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK on new tier list...

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
Alright guys I just started fooling around with DK recently. I am wondering where you guys think DK will end up on the née tier list. Everyone I've talked to says D tier but to me DK seems to do good in most matchups even against A tier. Anyways just wanted the opinions of other DK players. Thanks.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Alright guys I just started fooling around with DK recently. I am wondering where you guys think DK will end up on the née tier list. Everyone I've talked to says D tier but to me DK seems to do good in most matchups even against A tier. Anyways just wanted the opinions of other DK players. Thanks.
He'll probably stay about the same. He's currently 18th.. I guess he could rise 1 or maybe 2 spots, or fall 1 or 2.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
DK is waaaaaay too good to be in low tiers.
he'd beat everyone.

i agree with LP, i think he'll stay around the same spot. my guess is that he'll rise 1 or 2 points as opposed to falling 1 or 2.

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol, DK would **** all low tier characters... that would be kinda cool actually. Although there'd probably be like 8 DKs in top 10...

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
DK will be lower, the SBR doesn't care about DK. Maybe they'll consider the results of that US dk, forgot his name. But that's it. He'll prolly be lower.

daisho

Smash Lord
DK will be lower, the SBR doesn't care about DK. Maybe they'll consider the results of that US dk, forgot his name. But that's it. He'll prolly be lower.
DKs in NY/NJ have been placing in the top ten consistently over the past few months and cable won a tournament with 24 people at it including #s 1 3 4 5 in NJ and 2 in NY. Will came in third in an NY tournament out of like 35. Ripple and Ook have been stepping it up and winning MW tournaments.

It would be dumb if DK doesn't move up but the tier list doesn't matter for anything so IDC.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I get mixed feelings about DK.

on 1 side he's just as good as an lower "A" class character

on the other he has a literally an unwinnable match up and can't be a stand alone character

he's so hard to place on the tier list

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Lol d tier. Definatly A or B, DK is a speedy power ball of ****.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
Yeah from the videos i've seen and from some of the results I've read DK has been able to hang with some A tier matchups. I personally think he's upper C or maybe lower B. His speed is nice and his moves are so powerful. If u can master his spacing he can be one of the top characters IMO. N

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
As much as I love the big lug I know he won't be in A tier. He should have the top of B tier though at least, instead of being at the bottom of B.

crifer

Smash Lord
He will stay on his place,
I´m sure, even though DK´s placed better.
I just don´t see why he should be above the other´s above him.
I mean he is great.

RATED

Smash Lord
I really don't understand why DK is so low in the tier list! , that he has a kinda ugly matchup vs DDD I don't find that to be that much of lowering him so much, really he got a lot of things against a top characters he even goes even with Snake. his moveset is pretty good to a character of his weight, his survival is awesome, he kills like no other, his recovery is good, idk that much of DK matchups but he seems to beat a lot of character and he's pretty good on Neutrals ( battlefield FTW) idk about his CP stages.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
the problem is that you cant be gay enough with DK in Brawl. and Brawl is all about being gay.

D0N

Smash Ace
SGF I love that sig. did you do that?

on topic: I think DK is good for B tier. For A tier we would need more USA rep in major areas such as the west coast and MD/VA (as in consistant top 8) since thats all everyone seems to base things off of. NY/NJ is done, and ook/ripple have their area. Maybe i'll take care of the MD/VA part, but its hours away so we'll see.

Jon K

Smash Rookie
Yeah DK's place really well on the EC and MW. I'd say high B tier or low A tier at the highest.

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
Honestly the more I use him I see how strong he is and his grab range is nice as well as his recovery. I think he'll ne top of the B tier list. There is a DK in japan that I saw destroy some S tier characters being snake and wario. Dk has awesome potential if u space him right and get all the enemies in his hit boxes. He better move up on the list tho he deserves it. He's too good to be 18th.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I think he should go up....but DK is one of those characters that nobody except us looks out for....

If others showed the big lug more love, he would go up...but only DK mains (and some secondaries) care about DK.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I do not think DK should be higher than 18th, and I made an argument awhile back in the tier list thread about why I think he shall stay as 18th or drop 1-2 spots. I think a lot of times, when people argue about placing DK higher, they forget to take into consideration where other characters would relatively be placed.

Meta Knight
Snake
Wario
Falco
Diddy Kong
King Dedede

Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Pikachu
Olimar
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Kirby

Lucario
Zero Suit Samus
Toon Link
Pit
Donkey Kong

Look at the characters above DK. How many of them do you honestly think DK should be over? He's not better than anyone currently above Lucario (Kirby IS debatable, I don't think Kirby is that amazing to begin with but that's just me), he's most likely not better than ZSS unless she gains a really hard counter somewhere down the road, Toon Link you would have a hard time justifying putting DK over considering TL also doesn't have a LOL matchup like DK has against Dedede (even though MK is bad for TL, MK vs TL is more like Wario vs DK.), and even Pit you could make a strong case for staying above DK. I know that Pit is definitely a better character than DK if planking is completely allowed.

DK is not bad. He may be better than a lot of people gave him credit for. The problem is that most characters right above DK were ALSO underrated and have validated their spots/potential rise up the list. DK really hasn't.

DK has some pretty good results on the EC, but this doesn't entirely validate the opinion that he should rise. The infinite on him is banned, and some places have already started/are really thinking about starting to ban Wario's CG on DK (which, while I thought banning the Dedede infinite on DK was already stupid, that the idea of banning Wario's CG on DK that is NOT an infinite by any stretch was flat out ********.) So obviously when you make rules that basically cater HARD to Donkey Kong (Wario's CG on DK is banned, not Wario's CG on other characters, and Dedede's infinite only arguably interferes with the viability of DK alone, you can basically call that catering to DK and not other characters who face similar problems), it's not hard to assume that his results will be artificially inflated.

With that said, I think he is fine where he is. Peach you could argue for placing over DK, but everyone else is most likely gonna stay under him.

D0N

Smash Ace
DMG I would like to know why you think ZSS is better. I only played like 1 or 2 so my knowledge of her is very limited. Or maybe link me to your previous argument if you already explained it there.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
ZSS has a slightly better matchup spread. That's the main reason I have her over DK. Results wise, they are about even, DK doing a little better on the EC, ZSS having more results in places like the Southwest. I think she should only rise over Kirby and potentially ROB, some people think she is top 10 which I disagree with but whatever.

I think that if you have Dedede's infinite removed AND Wario's CG removed, that DK becomes better than her slightly. I don't think having Dedede's infinite removed is quite enough to "boost" him over her. When considering the tier list though, I don't factor in things like that. People want to put Falco as top 5, but considering how bad he is against planking, I'm not gonna put him there. Because planking isn't banned by the SBR (at least not yet), I do not factor in anti planking/edge grab rules when considering the tier list. Hence, I have Falco out of top 5, Dedede dropped a bit, and G&W raised.

Basically in a planking, no limit metagame, I think she is better than DK. If you start imposing restrictions/rules that help him out a lot, then he can be better than her.

D0N

Smash Ace
Thanks for your explanation. I'd argue, but like I said I don't know much about ZSS. I guess I need to play Snakee at pound 4 or something.

crifer

Smash Lord
DK is not bad. He may be better than a lot of people gave him credit for. The problem is that most characters right above DK were ALSO underrated and have validated their spots/potential rise up the list. DK really hasn't.
Exactly what I´m thinking.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
despite lucarios other matchups being decent he goes 40:60 against gdubs, mk, snake, marth and ddd. snake and marth being matchups DK does good in and DDD being the only **** one.

ZSS only thing her matchup is more in favor is ROB and DDD.

Toon Link is at disadvantage against all the top tiers except ROB, diddy, and pikachu who go about even.

Pit matchups are just dumb because they take his SPAM into consideration too much.

with all that i pretty much do believe that Pit would be at the top of B tier but DK should not be below the other 3. that would place him at 15th, seriously the only matchups that are extremely hard to win are DDD and Wario. all of his other matchups are winnable and the only other i see being above him other than pit would be toon link. thats just because of his camp game. seriously i do not believe DK is that much worse of a character than lucario and ZSS. you can agree or disagree but thats just my opinion.

aznfreak13

Smash Cadet
Hmm I think Dk should move up. Lucario and Pit doesn't look like they can completely demolish DK, but TL projectile are very annoying for DK. Zamus stun are a pain in the ***... However my DK do well against Marth for some reasons.

Top Bottom