• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK on new tier list...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
despite lucarios other matchups being decent he goes 40:60 against gdubs, mk, snake, marth and ddd. snake and marth being matchups DK does good in and DDD being the only **** one.
And DK doesn't have a list of characters he goes 6/4 with?

Falco?
IC's?
Diddy?
Metaknight?

That, and combine DK's worse matchups like Dedede and Wario, and WHALA Lucario is better than DK.

ZSS only thing her matchup is more in favor is ROB and DDD.
Here again, you are forgetting to take into consideration that ZSS does not have any "LOL" matchups against her. The fact that DK has a character like Dedede, and slightly Wario, in his face just laughing wherever he may show up, weighs him down a LOT especially if you want this character to rise. Most, if not all, of the characters above DK do NOT have one of those "Wtf is this Bullcrap" matchups. They might have a 65:35, but they don't have a put down your controller, get a sandwich, weep, get back, DI the killing Backthrow matchup.

Toon Link is at disadvantage against all the top tiers except ROB, diddy, and pikachu who go about even.
Well it's arguable, most of TL's disadvantages are only 55:45 TBH. Even if that was the case, he doesn't have an extremely bad matchup besides MK, and even that is not comparable to Dedede.

Pit matchups are just dumb because they take his SPAM into consideration too much.

with all that i pretty much do believe that Pit would be at the top of B tier but DK should not be below the other 3. that would place him at 15th, seriously the only matchups that are extremely hard to win are DDD and Wario. all of his other matchups are winnable and the only other i see being above him other than pit would be toon link. thats just because of his camp game. seriously i do not believe DK is that much worse of a character than lucario and ZSS. you can agree or disagree but thats just my opinion.

The problem is:

A lot of DK's matchups are "winnable". But what about the other characters? The ones above him ALSO have matchups that are "winnable". But then you look at DK. He has matchups that are not "winnable". This weighs him down quite a bit. The other characters, they don't have this issue.

DK would have to be IMMENSELY good to be higher than some of those characters, just because he has that kind of matchup around. Like, DK would have to start beating a few characters instead of going 5/5 or 55/45 with them. Only them IMO would he rise.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
you would say lucario has a better chance at beating mk? i dont think so. falco is 60/40 because of the chaingrab, even then it doesnt kill you. the wario matchup is bad but not as bad as the DDD matchup.

a few of those matchups that are 55/45 are just what people percept but a few people disagree with it. for example some people say zss is 55/45 dk and some say 60/40 dk. i for one am one of those people that say 60/40 since i dont have a problem fighting zss at all. zss is like what 30/70 against falco, thats pretty bad considering how many falcos there are in tournaments. her going near even with mk is arguable to be 60/40 mk.

it just comes down more to tourny attendance of DK to "prove" his worth.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DK has around the same number of "good" matchups as the people above him. The problem is that he has people like Dedede and Wario holding him down.

DK and Wario hold down DK. Who holds down ZSS that much? Who holds down Lucario/TL/etc? You aren't factoring that aspect in, or you are factoring it in too lightly.

daisho

Smash Lord
Why do you keep saying wario is such a bad matchup for DK?

Who have you actually played? (I'm assuming some top players but I just want to know for arguments sake... if you've played the best DKs and still think it is worse than 60:40 then I won't argue but I can't see it any worse than falco).

Diddy and ICs are questionable of whether they are 60:40.

DKs only bad (worse than 60:40) matchups imo are MK DDD Falco.

That being said, he doesn't beat too many characters 60:40 and goes even or wins slightly vs. most of the cast.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario can CG you to over 110% from a grab, with guaranteed grab setups from common moves like Dair, Nair, Uair, Bite. After that, he gets another free throw of his choice, usually leading into Fthrow or Uthrow. Neither puts DK in a pleasant position against Wario. That alone makes the matchup 6:4 or harder. It's almost 0-death guaranteed. It's not guaranteed entirely because at the end you can try to land safely, but basically if you don't guess spot on you get farted on/clapped/Fsmashed anyways and die.

Because Wario has so many versatile guaranteed grab setups, there isn't a single "fool proof" strategy to avoid getting grabbed. For Dedede as some of you argue, you can just sit there and Down B to avoid a grab. With Wario, you can't do that. He can hit you from above and get a free grab. Or he can come down with Bite and then get the guaranteed dash grab on you.

Even spacing Bairs all day leaves you open. Wario can't reach as far with his grab compared to Dedede, but he makes up by having more grab setups that affect you from all angles. I think this makes him around 65:35 with DK. There's not much for DK to exploit in this matchup. He can't try to edgeguard Wario with success, he can't try to juggle him like Dedede, he has no foolproof way to avoid getting grabbed, or at least cover every side reasonably, basically all he can try to exploit is grab release, and we're talking about a character that's harder to grab than Dedede. If you can't grab Dedede that much, don't expect to grab Wario as often.

If you guys have Falco as 6:4, then bar none Wario is 65:35.

daisho

Smash Lord
What can Wario actually do if we just camp Bairs ?

DK can actually edgeguard wario pretty well.

I don't know if I'm making this up or not but isn't wario chaingrab starting at 30?

DK can get guaranteed Punch Fsmash Up smash or pretty much anything he wants out of a grab so yeah... you die at 80 if we grab you.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario CG can start at 0-basically any %, and ends over 110% and then he gets another free throw of his choice.

DK edgeguarding Wario will be rare. He can't reach very far vertically to try and hit Wario if he takes that route. He can try to stay on stage and hit Wario when he tries to land, but actual edgeguarding won't really take place. Wario can go offstage and pressure DK pretty heavily and there aren't many safe options you have to deal with it.

Also, think about it this way:

IF DK grabs Wario above 80%, he dies.

IF Wario grabs DK, he automatically reaches over 110%, and gets put basically in a terrible position where Death is not guaranteed, but the favored outcome over living.

Let's assume that each character only lands 4 grabs in the match. If Wario lands 4 grabs, that can equate to roughly a stock per grab REGARDLESS of when he grabs you. If DK lands a grab, you have to be around 80% for the death discussion to even take place.

This isn't even comparing the fact that Wario gets to do up to 100+ damage from a single grab, if not nearly guarantee your death, where as DK cannot come close to matching that damage wise. This also isn't even taking into account the fact that Wario has guaranteed grab setups everywhere you look on DK, where as DK might barely have 1 situational guaranteed grab setup, if that.

The fact that DK can grab release Wario and kill him is overshadowed greatly by the fact that Wario grabs you, dances all over your body, laughs, and gives you enough damage that if you guess wrong on the way down, you die, and if you guess right, the next hit or two definitely kill. If DK could CG to 80% and THEN Kill Wario, that would be something that could go on par with what Wario has. But it's not enough.

As for Bairs, Wario has a lot of tricks against them. Crawling, for one thing, forces you to use Bair close to the ground if you want any shot at hitting him. This makes it dangerous in that if Wario PS's it, he can grab you before you can land and do anything. He can dash in close to you until Bair would hit, and then just shield. He doesn't lose ground whenever you camp with Bair. DK can't sit in one spot and Bair, and he can't advance towards Wario with Bair and force him away. So something eventually has to give.

His foot extends out basically horizontally only. He doesn't kick in an arc, his foot is angled slightly upwards too when he Bairs so that doesn't help when needing to hit a shorter character accurately. This means that if you want to change the vertical spacing of it, you either have to fast fall it/jump with it, or you have to vary your Bair timing while you fall/rise normally in your jump. This makes it easier to bypass Bair because you can exploit the vertical "misspacings", and abuse the fact that if DK wants to change it, he has to follow those binding aspects of his Bair.

Edit: LMAO!!!

Not Die from any attack from Wario at 110%? In reality it puts you around 120% after the last throw, but for argument sake, let's say it is 110%. Do you know how soon Fart kills? Even on DK/Dedede/Bowser, it can kill fairly early even with great DI. Uair, if you are airborne, will have a very good shot at killing you. EVEN IF those attacks do not kill you, they STILL keep you in that terrible position. Nothing has improved for DK by taking those hits. If he lives the fart, hell Ftilt will probably kill. If he lives the Uair, then Fart will CERTAINLY kill.

I'll even go test for you when Fart kills. lol.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Wario probably won't grab DK before getting any %... if DK is doing retreating bairs he should be somewhat safe... and he can go on platforms to avoid being chaingrabbed... getting a DK to 120 % isn't such a big deal for some characters but against Wario its pretty bad since he has nice kill moves like fart and uair. But it isn't that easy for Wario and if he fails to hit with fsmash he's punished badly. Fart is really good if it's nearly fully charged, but lets be honest here you don't hit with it most of the time and it's really difficult to do so. His best KO option is uair imo, and it's really good against DK...

Since Wario dies at 80 % he can only take like 7 hits and it's already over. It is not as easy for Wario as you think. =/

Bite to grab seems to work at 0 %, but nair to grab doesn't. And if the only thing you can go for is one option it shouldn't really work, because it's too predictable.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
so far the only wario i have known to do the buffered chaingrab perfectly is fiction. who else does it that has fought good DK's?

D0N

Smash Ace
crawling does not force DK to use bair close to the ground. That assumes b-air is his only option for a grounded opponent (or at least with your wording). I kinda enjoy fighting campy wario's so I hope to play you a few matches at pound and discuss the matchup in person.

Ofcourse I'll probly skip the discussing part and just play but it'll be fun :)

crifer

Smash Lord
crawling??? even sh double bairs beat them.
I would say it´s 60:40 for Wario, since DK is one of those Characters who have an excellent spacing game thx to range.

And ZxChrono the MU vs Falco is 55:45 for Falco, stage dependant.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario probably won't grab DK before getting any %... if DK is doing retreating bairs he should be somewhat safe... and he can go on platforms to avoid being chaingrabbed... getting a DK to 120 % isn't such a big deal for some characters but against Wario its pretty bad since he has nice kill moves like fart and uair. But it isn't that easy for Wario and if he fails to hit with fsmash he's punished badly. Fart is really good if it's nearly fully charged, but lets be honest here you don't hit with it most of the time and it's really difficult to do so. His best KO option is uair imo, and it's really good against DK...

Since Wario dies at 80 % he can only take like 7 hits and it's already over. It is not as easy for Wario as you think. =/

Bite to grab seems to work at 0 %, but nair to grab doesn't. And if the only thing you can go for is one option it shouldn't really work, because it's too predictable.
I just explained why camping with Bairs doesn't work. Camping with Bairs works under the assumption that the other character loses ground, or cannot advance forward noticeably while you do this. Wario isn't one of those characters.

Running away from Wario doesn't work as DK. You can't jump vertically out of his reach, you don't outspeed him in the air, you don't change directions in the air better than he does, etc. Platform camping would be a valid point, if Wario was slow and bulky in the air like Dedede. He's not though. That, and Wario is a character that doesn't care whether you try to platform camp to avoid a grab. He has guaranteed grab setups on DK pouring out of his butt. Land on platform? Bite to dash grab. About to land and airdodge? Dair into grab.

At 0%, Bite to Dash Grab works, and Nair to grab works (you are hitting with Nair incorrectly if it doesn't combo). Dair to Grab works, Uair to grab works, etc. Almost ALL of these setups lasts into the 40-50% mark. Bite to Dash Grab doesn't sadly (lasts to about 25+% when you spit out DK on the last bite hit), but everything else does. Actually, depending on where DK is positioned, weak Fair to grab combos too.

Trust me, DK has too many setups on him from too many different angles to cover them all.

Also the thing about Wario getting hit 7 times before being in death range:

Let's compare that to Wario:

Wario

-A single hit from 0-40+% on a multitude of attacks can lead into a 110+ CG (assuming at that point you know how to get out correctly, because otherwise it can actually still go on for longer), do an extra 8-10% on the additional throw, put you in bad position, and almost guarantee your death from that point forward.

DK
-Cannot guarantee that you will take 100+ damage from a CG. Does not have a guaranteed grab setup, potentially has 1 that is situational.

Basically, I don't think some of you comprehend the magnitude of this CG for Wario. From a single hit, he can guarantee a grab. From that grab, he can guarantee that you take roughly 120%. Afterwards, he guarantees to put you in a less favorable spot, and the damage he has put on you almost certainly guarantees that the next 1-2 big hits will kill.

For Donkey Kong:

From a single hit, he does not guarantee anything EXCEPT that now instead of requiring 7 hits, you now require 6. Then, once you get those other 6 hits, you have to go through the task of grabbing him.

Think about it this way, reverse roles. Say that DK could, from a single hit, guarantee a 0-110+ CG onto Wario that ended with a free hit from DK, basically leading to Wario's Death. Say that Wario in this instance had every aspect of the character the same, except with his own CG gone.

In that instance, I find it HARD to believe that you guys would ONLY argue for a 6:4 on Wario. You would push for 65:35, or even 7:3/75:25, and rightly so. Calling a matchup like that merely 6/4 would make REAL 6/4 matchups look like a joke (Marth vs TL for example would look TAME compared to DK vs Wario then).

So now, think about that from the current perspective. I think the matchup would be around 7:3, like the other "reversed" matchup, except for this matchup DK had a tool Wario didn't have, and that would be grab release.

I think the additional tool of having a grab release that is deadly past the 80% mark is a tool that shapes the matchup into DK's favor by 5 points. That would put it roughly at 65:35. That makes sense the more you start to look at the difference between 6/4 matchups, and 7/3 matchups. 7/3 matchups are basically impossible for the other character to win. 6/4 is a matchup you will have a somewhat hard time in, but your prospects of winning are still fairly good. Wario vs DK Wario doesn't demolish him like Dedede, so 7/3 is out of the question. At the same time, Wario doesn't have a "small noticeable" advantage. He would **** the hell out of DK if DK didn't have at least SOMETHING to fight back with. So I think 65:35 suits it well.

DMG $5 MM at pound 4?
I'm not going to Pound (family is vacationing in Colorado actually, so I might go play the Colorado guys if they are down), but I will probably be at fairly big events like No Koast and WHOBO.

so far the only wario i have known to do the buffered chaingrab perfectly is fiction. who else does it that has fought good DK's?
Fiction isn't the only person who can do the CG well, although the number of Wario's who can do it correctly is fairly small. I can do it (hell I came up with the Dthrow to Dtilt, which is even harder to pull off, and I almost have that down), PX can do it last time I saw him, Bassem MIGHT be able to (it's weird. He's one of the most technical Wario's out there, but when it comes to stuff like that he either tries to do it too fast or he does it weird lol). IDK who else can do it 100%, I know some people say they can but I have doubts on some of them.

crawling does not force DK to use bair close to the ground. That assumes b-air is his only option for a grounded opponent (or at least with your wording). I kinda enjoy fighting campy wario's so I hope to play you a few matches at pound and discuss the matchup in person.

Ofcourse I'll probly skip the discussing part and just play but it'll be fun :)

It's not his only option, someone gave me the scenario of DK Bair camping and I gave him solutions and broke down how Bair works. If you want to mix up your options, go ahead. When you are retreating with Bair fairly consistently though, that has holes to exploit.

crawling??? even sh double bairs beat them.
I would say it´s 60:40 for Wario, since DK is one of those Characters who have an excellent spacing game thx to range.

And ZxChrono the MU vs Falco is 55:45 for Falco, stage dependant.
SH DOUBLE Bairs. Note the Double there. That means that you have to basically FALL to that height to hit Wario in that position. That is one of the holes/flaws with Bair that I noted. It pokes out at an upwards angle slightly, so unless you can hit them in the initial "jump" on the way up, you have to wait and fall a bit and try again. While this is happening, guess what happens? Wario gains space.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Hm okay I hit with both hits of the nair so it didn't work, but if you hit with one of the hits it does.

Dair to grab doesn't work if the DK SDIs up during it.
Uair to grab I'm not sure, but it seems that DK should be able to aerial upB before getting grabbed...

What if DK is on an edge and does bairs if you come near him? He can go a little bit offstage so that if you turn around for the next grab DK will fall down to the ledge.

And if DK is on platforms it does help him. You can't really do the chaingrab on most of them except the really big ones like the one on Halberd. Smashville would probably work if it didn' move. On others it shouldn't work. And if you damage him it's okay, because he only gets to ~50 % instead of ~120 %. And then you don't have a 70 % attack on him.

DKs don't feel they're losing much if they are at 120 % because normally DK will live past 180 % all the time. Wario still needs some more hits after the CG or a half charged fart. I don't think it's that easy for Wario to edgeguard DK after the fthrow/uthrow...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
1. The CG STILL works at high %. The guaranteed grab setups start not working around 40-50%. So either you can take the damage from the CG at 0, or even at 80+ damage I can CG you then when the opportunity comes. Basically, whenever you get grabbed, imagine your damage meter automatically reaching 110+%. Whether it be from 0%, or from 80-90%. If you get grabbed, it does not matter what % you are at when it happens, the CG works and you will still be put in a rough spot.

Platform camping is not a good solution to this. Trust me lol. If you are running away from Wario on platforms, how are you going to damage him back? Sure, he might not be able to CG you from the start, but you are gonna eat damage anyways and if he does grab you while you are camping, you get to over 100% anyways. It would defeat the purpose of trying to run away on platform. You would amass damage slower, but not deal any back to him. Not a worthy trade off IMO.

2. Dair to grab works if they don't SDI correctly, and it can work regardless if you hit with the end part.

3. Uair to grab works, it's a true combo even at 20% when you first hit with Uair.

4. Edgeguaring/kill possibilities from Uthrow/Fthrow are pretty good for Wario. DK is not a very good character at getting away from juggles/air traps. If you guys can't land safely against MK or Marth, you can expect to have trouble with Wario. He's one of the few characters that moves as fast/faster than DK can drift, so you can throw out the idea of drifting away/airdodging away from him safely. Dair, honestly is a joke most of the time. Wario can airdodge the Dair and STILL have time to punish you. Hell, if he is low enough %, he can eat the Dair just to hit you anyways lol. Everything else, you have to have correct spacing which can be extremely hard/impossible if you are completely over him and not horizontally spaced from him.

It's not so much the fact that DK is taken to %120, but that he can literally get taken to that % from a single grab opportunity that can be guaranteed linked from an attack. That's like combining don't get grabbed AND don't get hit together lol. Not only that, but while he is taken to this %, his fart charges for free, and you can't do anything back to him/damage him through this process. So it's almost like Dedede's grab, except with a shimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel for you to escape not dead.

Luigi player

Smash Master
1. The CG STILL works at high %. The guaranteed grab setups start not working around 40-50%. So either you can take the damage from the CG at 0, or even at 80+ damage I can CG you then when the opportunity comes. Basically, whenever you get grabbed, imagine your damage meter automatically reaching 110+%. Whether it be from 0%, or from 80-90%. If you get grabbed, it does not matter what % you are at when it happens, the CG works and you will still be put in a rough spot.
Hmm okay.

Platform camping is not a good solution to this. Trust me lol. If you are running away from Wario on platforms, how are you going to damage him back? Sure, he might not be able to CG you from the start, but you are gonna eat damage anyways and if he does grab you while you are camping, you get to over 100% anyways. It would defeat the purpose of trying to run away on platform. You would amass damage slower, but not deal any back to him. Not a worthy trade off IMO.
DK can still damage Wario if he's on platforms... the Wario would probably uair him, if he attacks with something else DK could outspace and hit him. And DK can dair him through the platform (if Wario jumps), or shield and jump away. Or if the Wario stands below DK he can even be hit with downB (like if he uairs, DK shields - starts downB, Wario lands below him and gets hit).

2. Dair to grab works if they don't SDI correctly, and it can work regardless if you hit with the end part.
Why should DK SDI incorrectly it's not like it's so difficult since dair lasts a little bit if it hits...

3. Uair to grab works, it's a true combo even at 20% when you first hit with Uair.
Hmm if the DK DIs up he can maybe get out of it with upB. I can't test it right now.. but that's at 0 %. IF Wario can grab him he will barely reach him and thus I doubt it would work at any % higher than 0.

Also it's not like DK has to stand on a platform all the time. He can move around freely in the air without the fear of getting grabbed. The only thing Wario can do to set up a grab is bite (since he can fall down while biting DK), but as you said it only works until 25 % or something.

So the DK has to avoid standing on the long/main platforms... shouldn't be that impossible to do. And if you just camp and wait because the DK has a bit more damage he gets a free charged giant punch (I know Wario also gets his fart charged a bit, but it is only dangerous if it's half charged and it's still hard to hit with...).

4. Edgeguaring/kill possibilities from Uthrow/Fthrow are pretty good for Wario. DK is not a very good character at getting away from juggles/air traps. If you guys can't land safely against MK or Marth, you can expect to have trouble with Wario. He's one of the few characters that moves as fast/faster than DK can drift, so you can throw out the idea of drifting away/airdodging away from him safely. Dair, honestly is a joke most of the time. Wario can airdodge the Dair and STILL have time to punish you. Hell, if he is low enough %, he can eat the Dair just to hit you anyways lol. Everything else, you have to have correct spacing which can be extremely hard/impossible if you are completely over him and not horizontally spaced from him.
The DK would of course move away from the stage to grab a ledge.... why should the DK try to land from above against a Wario lol.
What do you mean by drift away? His upB? DK is faster than Wario during it... but just a little bit and would probably get him punished while getting down.

Warios top speed is barely faster than DKs btw. It shouldn't be that easy to follow him unless he tries to "turn around".

It's not so much the fact that DK is taken to %120, but that he can literally get taken to that % from a single grab opportunity that can be guaranteed linked from an attack. That's like combining don't get grabbed AND don't get hit together lol. Not only that, but while he is taken to this %, his fart charges for free, and you can't do anything back to him/damage him through this process. So it's almost like Dedede's grab, except with a shimmer of hope at the end of the tunnel for you to escape not dead.
Well if you don't have any grab setups if won't be easy to grab DK, even for Wario, because you always risk getting grabbed yourself and that's always +20-28 %. Which is a forth or a third of his stock. DK is losing more than half of his stock, but it's still easier for DK to KO Wario than the other way around, because he can KO you through your shield, unlike Wario (and his attacks, besides fart, which is really hard to hit, are pretty punishable).

Also, what is that grab setup DK has on Wario? :ohwell:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Jab to grab for DK is a true combo on Wario if he doesn't SDI the jab well. Wario has to be at a really specific % though.

Run through the scenario. I CG to Uthrow, DK aims for the ledge. Wario let's him get it. How does DK get back on? I'm onstage, you are on the edge. What does DK do to get back on? Take note that after the CG, DK has cleared the 100% mark, so his getup attack will be the "slow" animation.

Most of your options are ***** by bite. That alone stuffs over half of your options from that point on.

Drifting away, I am talking about after you get hit, you move in one direction only. If I uthrow you and you DI left and keep going left, I move faster than you. By an amount great enough to let me reasonably catch up to you.

Like I said, DK platform camping is not a good idea. Whenever I play one of you guys, I will let you attempt it and show you why it's not that great of an idea.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I don't know why anyone would think platform camping would work against a character that is fast in the air and has a strong uair that can be repeatedly used under a platform with little lag.

I have a question though. Does Wario's bite eat DK's up b?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
DK can beat it, but the majority of the time they either trade hits or DK gets eaten first.

Veggi

Smash Champion
There's a good ledge option DK can use where he drops off the ledge and presses up b, then holds down to avoid grabbing the edge as he Kong Kopters on to the stage. That could be used as an option to avoid being stuck in Wario's mouth...provided DK's up b doesn't get chomped. DK 's arms hit the opponent before he goes above the edge, so in this case I think DK's up b would beat it.

What do you mean by trading hits though? Chomp is a grab move, unless you mean Wario grab armors the up b, which in my mind is the same as DK losing to it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Basically grab armor. You take the hit, but you stay stationary/grab armor them basically.

Also for that, Wario can let him Kopter back onstage and when his invincibility runs out, hit him. If DK wants to Upb on the edge the whole time, that's fine too. If he just got CG'd and is now at the ledge, there's a very good chance he's down at least in %. Him Upbing over and over to the edge won't help him out.

Even if that was an issue, Wario can hog the edge before DK can upb. You hover around DK's body and also around the edge snap range when he is first able to move off the edge. If he drops down, you snap the edge before anything can hit you. If not, his invincibility runs out soon and you can threaten him/make him get off. If he guesses wrong, he gets hit and bad things happen. At worst, Wario guesses wrong, doesn't get a hit, but also isn't in danger himself.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I have no conflict with the last paragraph, but I didn't actually suggest he could do that. To be honest, I don't really think Wario could get to the edge in time if DK simply presses back and then up b. Although I could be wrong.

The main thing that was wrong about what you said (which is actually in Wario's favor) is that DK only gets a couple of start up frames that are invincible. I'm not talking about the Yoshi's Island glitch. DK can just up b at the ledge and use his recovery's normal vertical boost to lift himself onto the stage and land near laglessly (happens if DK is close enough to the ground, which using this method he will be.)

The conflict is that if Wario is standing next to the edge when DK decides to use that option, he will have to move out of the way (which shouldn't be a problem for you, lol) or shield. DK's up b does an extremely large amount of shield damage (from the edge it will do less) and DK's up b will shield poke a full shield about half the time. Wario's best option is to attack DK's up b from above because landing an aerial up b close to the ground has very low lag.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No I know that, I mean that if DK does the Upb REALLY fast from the edge, he can basically almost reach onstage with his body (his arms can hit slightly, but he won't have risen enough to move swiftly on the stage)before that edge invincibility runs out. If he drops down and uses it, then no he will be below edge level slightly when it runs out. If he uses it almost ASAP, he will be too high to regrab the edge and "overflow" onto the stage. In that scenario, Wario would obviously need to back off.

If DK gets to the stage with slight invincibility, back off. If he loses his invincibility before he could reach the stage, grabbing the edge/attacking him would solve that scenario. If he does it low, and let's it "flow over" to the stage, you can hit him with a Dair/Fart from above.

Basically DK is limited from the edge, that we can agree on lol. It's just a matter of finesse to exploit that from Wario's perspective.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I'm only talking about moving onto the stage laglessly with the quickest up b he can, which according to you (I actually did not know invincibility lasted that long), DK has invincibility if he does it fast enough. What are Wario's options for an up b of that type? If his only option is to move out of the way, then DK has a good option.

Honestly, when I was talking about DK using his up b as a ledge option I was just saying he could ram into people with his up b and land laglessly on the stage. I've never experienced someone attacking me before I went over the edge so the knowledge I have on this option may not be sufficient when talking about someone who attempts to hit DK as he is going over the edge.

This leads me to believe one of two things...

A) The people I play are just too shocked and try to use a conventional method to counter it. (Shield, spot dodge, Marth's fsmash) They don't know that there is a way to punish it on reaction every time.

B) There is no way to attack DK's up b as it is going up due to some possibilities like: DK's arms go through the stage before his body goes over it, keeping them from being able to do something on reaction. The process of moving on stage is just too fast for most people to respond to or the character they are using can not counter it effectively. Then, the invincibility thing you were talking about.

DK's arms going through the stage is what I think happens because I have memories of it. The thing is...I can't remember exactly at what point DK's arms go though the stage. Sorry that the discussion isn't flowing too well, haha. I just know that me using up b'ing has worked consistently for me unless I hit a grenade or get countered, they move and use something that outranges it ect. You have me thinking there is a consistent way to stop it on reaction now so I'm hoping that's not true. Haha.

I agree DK doesn't have many options on the edge, although statistically his ledge options are quite good.

Luigi player

Smash Master
DK can wait for Wario to go offstage to hit DK... he can let go of the ledge, dj a little bit away, charge giant punch (1 wind up), cancel it, upB to ledge.

Or wait for Warios bite to end and punish/jump over him.

And DK can "plank" a little bit to wait until Wario does something so he can go up.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
1. If DK is down in %/stock, there's no point in planking. This all of us can agree on.

2. If this is not the case, Wario can still stop DK's planking.

3. You can bite on reaction more than half of DK's edge options. Get up attack is too slow to beat Bite, get up roll you can actually end bite and still punish it, get up jump doesn't even come close to passing it. On the edge, you don't have many options to get back safely, especially past 100%.

4. I would not recommend going offstage/charging DK punch when you are toying with the edge. If you don't cancel it fast enough, you airdodge and get *****. If you misjudge how much time you have to safely do that, you can get edgeguarded.

5. Footstool ***** the hell out of DK. You better avoid it like the plague.

Veggi

Smash Champion
@ 3

I agree, but compared to the basic ledge options of others, DK's are better. I never said it mattered in the matchup. XD

I think the invincibility on DK's get up attack extends up to when he attacks because it will beat Pikachu's down smash...or trade hits with it, I can't remember.

I agree on the rest. A note to number 5 though is to just not use DK's second jump off stage unless he has to.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well those were mostly aimed at LP lol, but yeah.

If DK get's footstooled at or below edge level, even with a second jump he will struggle hard to make it back safely. If you footstool him when he is trying to drop down to upb, chances are he either has used his DJ, or that he is too low for his DJ to reach far enough to save him.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Yeah, it's just not often that DK gets footstooled (or at least my DK) because he starts his up b from a far horizontal distance away from the edge. What do you mean by "drop down to up b?" If you mean from the edge, I don't see a reason to use a second jump after just grabbing the edge.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
If they have tap jump on, there's a good chance they will use their DJ while trying to Upb.

Basically though, avoid footstool. It's bad.

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
too bad ness and lucas are not MK and Snake. otherwise it would be win. the top tier brothers that are not from mother.

Top Bottom