• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK mains are pretty sexy | DK Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
The conference in general was very very good. Good job Nintendo.

Well DK mains, looks like DK is back, and mark my words Donkey Kong Country Returns will be the return of DK to his former glory. No more Paon crap handhelds, no more Donkey Konga. DK is back on top of the platforming world. F yea...

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
DK is honestly the only thing who has and will again challenge Mario at best platforming games.

DKC > SMW. That's saying quite a lot.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
DK is honestly the only thing who has and will again challenge Mario at best platforming games.

DKC > SMW. That's saying quite a lot.
I have to agree with you there.

DKC always had a beautiful art style, with amazing graphics that pushed the SNES to its limit.

ardirok

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo ***** in this E3!

Star fox 64 3DS!!! \o/

As for DK, I liked almost all the DK games without RARE, of course it´s nothing compared to DKC or DK64 but I still liked...except for DK Barrel Blast.

Silfa

Smash Ace
I haven't had the chance to watch the actual conference, but the news that came out of it is amazing. Nintendo were really impressive this year.

DKC Returns! I also hope that they get David Wise to work on the soundtrack again. That would soo good.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I never played any of the old DKC games...oddly enough

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Not playing ANY of them is almost a feat.

& yoshi's island is clearly the best SNES game of all time

Cable

Smash Lord
DKC games are really fun ive beaten almost all of them.

The only DK game that i want to try and still beat is the one for N64 i got stuck in K.Rool's castle trying to get that coin by beating that arcade game thingy do you kno what im talkn about?

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Haha yeah... The coin you get from playing getting past the 4th level in original Donkey Kong, i think? Or the one you get for getting more than... 10,000 points, I think, in Jetpac?

& I wanted to get all the bananas, but without an N64 now... I probably never will =\

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
YI for the SNES is legit, but no where near better than DKC. SMW may be the one of the only games that can challenge DKC for that best SNES game title.

Ixisnaugus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IxisNaugus
agreed with Dajayman. In terms of SNES platformers, not much stands with Donkey Kong Country. Though if my opinion is appreciated i feel that Donkey Kong Country 2 still holds out as the best 2D platformer on the SNES, and possibly in the world. The game was a masterpiece. Country 3 was brilliant, but just fell short imho.

I think we can all agree though that with Retro Studios at the helm, Donkey Kong Country Returns can't really go wrong. I'm so happy that a talented team is reviving this franchise. I despised Paon after what they did to DK on handhelds but no more ill treatment for this ape. Soon enough he'll be back on top :)

@ Ripple.

Do yourself a favor and find any means to play the Country trilogy. You'll realize yet another reason for why you still main DK :p

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
DKC games are really fun ive beaten almost all of them.

The only DK game that i want to try and still beat is the one for N64 i got stuck in K.Rool's castle trying to get that coin by beating that arcade game thingy do you kno what im talkn about?
Haha yeah... The coin you get from playing getting past the 4th level in original Donkey Kong, i think? Or the one you get for getting more than... 10,000 points, I think, in Jetpac?

& I wanted to get all the bananas, but without an N64 now... I probably never will =\
All 201 Gold Bananas baby =) And I beat through the DK Arcade minigame to get that coin for like, all of my friends bc I had to try it sooo many times for myself that it basically became second nature xD

DK64 is one of my favorite platformers ever <33

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BANANAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
DKC3 is really underrated. It was kind of a collect-a-thon, but it was still good. In fact, it was so good, it pissed me off when I beat it. I wanted more.

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BANANAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Sooo jealous! I got sooo pissed looking for the ones i was missing in Gloomy Galleon... If they released it for VC I'd be all over that.

Did anyone ever get 100% in DKC? I'm not really sure what the % means, I'm assuming like every banana and hidden or secret gold animal things and the little mini-games and stuff, but no way am I ever doing that

Edit: I haven't played DKC3 since i was a wee little lad... how is it a collect-a-thon?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Tbh DKC games > Mario SNES games... even though many of them are really great =) SNES was too good. DKC3 is soo good I really love that game and it's music (rockface rumble!!). It could nearly rival DKC2's best SNES game title (imo, of course :p), but DKC2 is still the best.

I never got all golden bananas in DK64, I still need like 10 or something, I don't want to look in guides to spoil anything, but I just can't find them by myself, lol. And some are really hard to get. I tried that robot fish thing at the water level sooo many times, but somehow I always needed one more shot but then the time ran out... oh well, maybe I'll pick it up again sometime to finish it...

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I thought DKC3 had better mechanics (like explorable overworld, rpg elements, etc.) and secrets than 2, but DKC2 had better music, atmosphere, and level design in general (by a little bit). I really like both alot but I'd probably give the slight edge to DKC3 just because the gameplay was a little better overall aside from level design. DKC1 was good, but it was easily the weakest of the three imo.

D0N

Smash Ace
I wish I remembered enough about the DKC's to contribute to what Big O said. All I'd be able to give opinioins on are DK64 (I got the coins :), but not 100%) and DKC1. Happy to see everyone agrees they all beat sonic in terms of platform games though lol.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
I'm of the opinion that DK64 was just toooooo much collecting, especially after Mario 64, then Banjo Kazooie... DK64 comes around and just took it too far.

Also, DKC3 was fantastic, but I have a serious problem with their decision to remove DK from 2 of 3 games in his own series. WTF? Kiddie Kong is easily one of the worst ideas Rare ever **** out. Maybe I should really just appreciate the gameplay, but I like to look at the whole package.

DKC2 is probably the very peak of the series in its graphics, gameplay and music... pretty much perfect.

DKC was my first SNES game ever and I love it dearly. But if I had to pick the very best platformer on the SNES, it'd be Super Metroid.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Um...hi people?

Figured I'd introduce myself. I'm Rapture, and, well, I'm maining DK now. Dunno if that warrants an introduction, so I apologize if it doesn't. I'm from Atlantic North and relatively new to Smash competitively, as I've only played in one tournament (one that Will ran back in April on Long Island).

So, yeah, if you see me around, that's me.

Also, to comment on the discussion, I'd have to say that DKC3 too was the strongest of the series, followed closely by DK64 (if you count it as part of the series, I do to an extent).

DK64 was definitely a lot about collecting, but I think it did it at a pace that didn't make it boring. I felt it all had some sort of purpose behind it, and it did. It wasn't just collecting just to collect. Collecting one thing got you a new weapon upgrade or a new area or a new character or something. It wasn't just mindless collecting, in my honest opinion.

Plus, the stage layout was pretty awesome. Back in the day, I felt the levels to be so expansive. While I think the hub world (namely DK Island and the closeby Kremling lair) could have been a bit bigger, but levels themselves always struck me as pretty good in size and made for a wonderful experience.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I'm of the opinion that DK64 was just toooooo much collecting, especially after Mario 64, then Banjo Kazooie... DK64 comes around and just took it too far.

Also, DKC3 was fantastic, but I have a serious problem with their decision to remove DK from 2 of 3 games in his own series. WTF? Kiddie Kong is easily one of the worst ideas Rare ever **** out. Maybe I should really just appreciate the gameplay, but I like to look at the whole package.

DKC2 is probably the very peak of the series in its graphics, gameplay and music... pretty much perfect.

DKC was my first SNES game ever and I love it dearly. But if I had to pick the very best platformer on the SNES, it'd be Super Metroid.
I agree that Kiddie Kong was a dumb idea and that he should have been DK instead. It's not like the plot required both DK and Diddy to be kidnapped lol. I guess the subtitle would have to be changed though.

D0N

Smash Ace
Happy 4th.

I noticed I have a really bad habit of imagining people look like there avatars if i've never seen them before. Like literaly... to me Big O is Funky Kong and Justin Wiles is Squall until further notice. Then I get a little disapointed when I meet them and the image is ruined. Anyone else do that?

Luigi player

Smash Master
Happy 4th.

I noticed I have a really bad habit of imagining people look like there avatars if i've never seen them before. Like literaly... to me Big O is Funky Kong and Justin Wiles is Squall until further notice. Then I get a little disapointed when I meet them and the image is ruined. Anyone else do that?
I do that too, lol.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Happy 4th.

You mean you aren't a real life gutsman? Son, I am disappoint. Lol I do that too. Anyways, I hope everyone's having a nice party right now. BBQ ftw tonight :bee:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom