• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK mains are pretty sexy | DK Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Alright guys, I'll try to keep a long story long and let me introduce myself to you all and all that cool stuff.

I am SuSa, if you really want to know what that stands for you can leave me a message on my wall or via PM. I'm a really nice, relaxed, and helpful person. If you have any problems you can contact me about them. Even if it's a real life problem. I'll help you unless I don't feel qualified to help you in which I will point you to someone who can.

Right now I am the temporary moderator of the DK boards. I want to be able to get to know you all, help you guys out, get this board organized, keep out spam, and keep things organized.

I noticed you guy's didn't have a Social Thread (at least; not on the first page or one that has been posted in for the last month) so I figured it would be the best way for me to introduce myself. (Much better then just using my new powers and having you all go "WTF just happened")

So to start off discussion, I'd like to ask a few questions. Some life related and some board related.

1) How are you all doing? : )

2) Is there anything you feel needs to be taken care of in this board? (Stickies, threads being closed/locked, etc.)

3) Are you willing to help me out? I know most of you don't know me and I don't know most of you so this may seem weird.

As a side note:
I will not be able to contribute a large amount to discussions like matchups simply because I only use DK now and then. My knowledge wouldn't be to helpful, but I will share anything I feel I know.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
He's the first member of the DK crew.

Glad to have someone willing to help out finally.

SuSa

If you could provide some input for me. I don't want to make any decisions without more lurking or at least "the regulars" input on things.

When I get home I'll be able to do things that I feel need to be done ASAP (closing of a certain thread... stickies and trying to start some discussion) but I'm currently on a slow computer.

Also glad to help. :) I stopped by and went "Le Gasp, where is their moderator?"

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I don't really think a whole lot needs to be done to this board. It's relatively small so things don't get out of hand like some other boards do. The biggest problems we have are duplicate threads or people coming in saying "GUISE BURRY PEOPLE AND DEN PUNCH ITSH AWSHUM!" Neither of those happen very often though.

SuSa

However discussion should be going on as Meta Games can still evolve, and better strategies and higher levels of play can always be succeeded.

So being organized will help me help you all. I'm sure the regulars and more serious DK's would actually enjoy that.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Excuse me? I'm in the DK back room. My DK beat chillin the first time I ever played him. I'm one of the more serious DK's. I was just saying that you don't exactly have a daunting task ahead of you because this board is rather small. No offense taken though, I understand that I'm not recognized on a national level.

ook

Smash Lord
yeah, one time a couple months ago, I got a PM (out of nowhere) from a supermod asking if I wanted to mod the DK board. I said no, cause I wasn't active enough. I assumed that meant they were gonna find someone else to be a mod.... lol

apparently not :p

but yeah, that would be great if you'd help us get more organized... as rag said, not much happens though. The important threads generally stay at the top of the page anyway

welcome

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
When I get home I'll be able to do things that I feel need to be done ASAP (closing of a certain thread... stickies and trying to start some discussion) but I'm currently on a slow computer.

Also glad to help. :) I stopped by and went "Le Gasp, where is their moderator?"
Thank you. The only redeeming feature of that thread was Cyphus yelling at people... and that wasn't even that funny considering the reason. XD

Edit: btw ook, I've been wanting to ask you for a few online matches for teaching purposes. I'm one of two DK mains in the entire NW, and having to try and figure out what to do with four-plus DeDeDe mains running around keeping me with my secondaries... Would you be willing?

SuSa

Excuse me? I'm in the DK back room. My DK beat chillin the first time I ever played him. I'm one of the more serious DK's. I was just saying that you don't exactly have a daunting task ahead of you because this board is rather small. No offense taken though, I understand that I'm not recognized on a national level.
I asked questions because I openly admitted I don't really know any of you guys/girls. I don't know who's in the DK BRoom, and I don't really know any of the well known DK's. I'm not a DK Main, hell I'm not even a DK secondary. I just use him every now and then because I use everyone now and then.

I mentioned I cannot do everything, but I can do something. I don't want to step in and just do what I feel needs to be done if the regulars object to it. I don't want to be resented/hated in this board, and my goal is to not impose power. If you feel there isn't anything that needs to be done then say so. Say what you mean and mean what you say. In a roundabout way I feel you are telling me there isn't anything I need to do.

In which case I will ask to be de-modded from here and I can go to some board that does want and need the help.

yeah, one time a couple months ago, I got a PM (out of nowhere) from a supermod asking if I wanted to mod the DK board. I said no, cause I wasn't active enough. I assumed that meant they were gonna find someone else to be a mod.... lol

apparently not :p

but yeah, that would be great if you'd help us get more organized... as rag said, not much happens though. The important threads generally stay at the top of the page anyway
welcome to the board
There wasn't really anyone else. Not many of us lurk or visited the DK boards so we had little to go on. We took a glance at the board and gave our input. You got sent your PM and denied and we sort of went "....well...now what?"

Like I said, I'm here to get to know you guys.

But for me to organize I would really like if you all answered question #2 for me as detailed as you can. What you want stickied, what you want closed. ETC.

Yes, important threads generally stay at the top - but if you aren't a regular to the board you will quickly glance for the stickies. No stickies = you don't want to waste your time finding the thread so you either make a new one (leads to a lot of duplicate threads) or you simply don't post (metagame comes to a halt)

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Sorry for the misunderstandings. Off the top of my head I would say sticky the general discussion and advancement of metagame thread. That and the matchup thread and the already stickied thread are probably the most important ones. Thanks for closing the one about the cargo, it really needed it.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Yes, important threads generally stay at the top - but if you aren't a regular to the board you will quickly glance for the stickies. No stickies = you don't want to waste your time finding the thread so you either make a new one (leads to a lot of duplicate threads) or you simply don't post (metagame comes to a halt)
Lol. Most of the stickied threads have tendency to die around here... If I'm not mistaken, we requested for them to be de-stickied for that reason.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Yeah at one point hylian came in here and got sticky happy without knowing the deal. Everything died really quick. The big problem with what he did though was sticky threads that didn't deserve stickies at all.

SuSa

I'll keep that in consideration Ragnar0k.

Also thrilla, they tend to do that in a lot of places. But they also slowly die when not stickied as well. It also helps maintain spam and duplicate threads when they are stickied, and information is more readily available for lazy people.

I'd also like to know what you guys think about sticking the Q&A (if you have one? Oo I haven't done any looking around yet... computers to laggy)

Also I do plan on keeping stickies to a reasonable amount. When discussion is finished (eg: Finished stage discussion unless something needs a makeover. Or information that does not need to be readily updated (frame data) I simply edit it / make sure someone edits it into a Compendium and unsticky them and let them die out.

This keeps stickies to 5-6 or less, and all important information can be found in the Compendium if needed.

ardirok

Smash Apprentice
Nice!

I´m new here and I main DK, so I should read the DK boards now =D

Can I trust the DK players to share knowledge with me?
I want to help too.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I'm too much of a troll to be a dk mod, even though I did a fantastic job with AiB dk boards

anyways, the DK boards not having a mod is actually a long running joke here (read some of the old threads, it was pretty funny, panda was the only universal mod that stopped by and that was once a month). and yeah, as rag said, sticky-ing threads seems to kill them.

what the board really needs is a couple active (and useful, that cargo spike thread should not be the most active god-**** thread on this board) threads that are updated frequently. I tried running them, but they died down after a bit and just kinda faded into obscurity

SuSa

Threads survive if:

1) They are constantly updated (weekly is generally best)
2) The information is well organized and useful (Look at other matchup threads like Snake's to get an idea on how much work an MD can take to run. We have like 3 people running it.
3) There are enough regulars who actually care. (This only takes 1 person to start. I brought the Snake boards back from like.. a 3 month death just by posting technical information like C4/Mine times, and stupid things like that that brought around more testing.

The information in the matchup thread (I'll admit I just skimmed) isn't as organized as it could be. (It doesn't have to be an essay on the matchup, but you can still organize it better. If you want I can get an example - show you your version, then how I'd have it.)

It is also up to the OP to try and keep discussion going. (When I left the Snake boards, most threads slowly died out because I wasn't posting in them to keep it active)

Anyways. Sticky votes and thread closures. I still need votes.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If this is going to become a more social thread then I'd say sticky it. Also the metagame discussion thread should be stickied. Matchup thread should be stickied I guess. Stage and moveset discussions are iffy because they're dying fast. Video thread or the critique thread would be a good sticky as well.

SuSa

I don't believe in sticking social threads. They are extremely self-bumping and generally not filled with important information. I actually need to see who stuck my Snake social thread.

I was thinking Metagame and Matchup thread - stage I will, but moveset will depend. I can try and help update things if I feel they are moving far to slow to keep interest. (Since I will admit, from what I've seen not to many people main DK so you guys don't have a large and varying amount of information on things.... like other boards that have like 10 people that frequent them and each one has a different opinion) so things just move quickly and everythings moving at a different pace. Which is leading to the threads dying.

I will if the video thread is really up-to-date (talking within 2 weeks if videos being posted at least) and it can link to the critique thread, I don't see a large enough reason for the critique thread to be stickied.

I forgot this in the OP, so let me start some actual socialness:

I volunteered to mod these boards as a secret mission to get my more interested into DK so I can finally say he's not the only character that I just can't play at at least a decent level. My DK is scrub.

Also Finals are coming up :/ so I may be a bit stressed over the next two weeks. So try and stay on my goodside so I'm not infract-happy over the next two weeks. >.< I tend to be stricter when I'm stressed.

Also who here loves Donkey Kong 64 as much as I do? I miss it and want to play it again. :( (They also need to make one very similiar to it for the wii)

:023:

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
You make a good point about the social thread. I agree with what you said for the most part. I forgot to mention this earlier but the frame data thread would be an invaluable sticky as it doesn't get much activity but holds essential information.

To help your DK:
bair moar. Learn to time SA on punch and up b. Down b shuts down the opponents ground game completely no matter who they are, it just has too much range. If you have your double jump still you can recover from anywhere DK is still visible from on any neutral, this means bottom corners as well. DK's recovery is way too underrated and extremely hard to gimp. The only characters I'm even slightly scared of offstage are MK and Kirby, I think a smart DK can handle everyone else with relative ease. Keep down smash fresh for reliable kills starting at around 80 or 90 % depending on weight. DK's tilts are all extremely good. Ftilt can be angled and beats tornado when angled up, you might not have to angle it up but don't quote me on that. Down tilt trips a lot and can be followed up with grabs or down b. Dk's grab game is amazing at getting people offstage and in terrible situations. Cargo down throw or backthrow to get people offstage to follow it up. Regular down throw onstage is awesome and can be followed up with a lot of different things depending on your opponents reactions. DK's grounded up b does 36 damage if they get stuck in it which is awesome, 2 of those put people in kill %'s. DK's down b is imo his most underrated move, I abuse the hell out of it. If you can learn to headbutt well then it can help a lot, don't use it too much though or it can get predictable. RAR SH bair headbutt will break shields. Dk's b moves have ridiculous shield pressure. I could go on and on but just check the metagame discussion thread or some of the guides linked to in our single sticky for more help.

SuSa

I know a lot of that. :p but thanks anyways.

My DK just sucks, I don't know WHEN to use things but I know HOW they are used.

Frame data is in the compendium and most people just refer to it. If someone asks where it is you go to the compendium and get the link.

Unless the frame data has a major reason to be stickied rather then refered to, I'd rathers not.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
dk needs a different mind set from most characters, you need to start aiming for ko moves earlier (80), and need to know when to punch.

good times to punch are when you know they are going to attack, or while SHing towards them. remember that they can't really avoid the punch too much, since it's safe of block and auto-wins against other attacks. basically if you know they aren't going to dodge and will remain in the hit box area, punch, it'll land.

he's mostly spacing on the ground, while the bairs are used for damage and air to air (I do not recommend air to ground bairs). so just tilt a lot, grab a lot and remember that upb and downb can both be used to space/punish

also, learning when to upb is big, if you DI'd right then just upb when at the ledge or when they try to attack you, if you're coming in mid height, upb when dk is eye-level with the ledge

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Just putting it out there...

Hi everybody! I'm DTL and I'm going to start being active on these boards?

BTW at SuSa... You came into the Toon Link boards and offended some of us quite randomly. Could we please get an explanation?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I must not use up b right. I know it's good but I just don't seem to do great with it. I either get shield grabbed somehow or they just di out of it.

SuSa

Me and the TL boards is a big joke and most of the regulars know I'm kidding when I speak of them.

My biggest issue with DK is deciding on my moves fast enough, that'll come in time.

I like to 9 punch b-reverse use it for earlier KO's. I never seem to hit with the SA Frames on the FC punched (after 3 months of practicing) so I gave up on that. I just wait for the right time to 9 punch.

I also don't see to many DK's stall to avoid attacks with a b-reversed side-B to counterattack with bair... how come? :3 is it stupid to do? lol works for me...

anyways...

I'm bored :/ entertain me

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I headbutt backwards sometimes while recovering. Honestly I prefer fair when recovering, that thing is ****ing scary. I can't tell you how many times I've killed someone with it that was dumb enough to try to contest with me offstage. Sometimes I spend my time offstage charging a punch if I can.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I NEVER do 9 punch... Invincibility frames=too good

Also, most of us regulars did not take it as a joke when you claimed we are always behind... Eh, I still <3 you...

WTF is a JOAT?

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
DK != MK
DK can't 'abuse' any move. He's gotta balance everything and constantly mix stuff up, beause everything he has is punishable.
ex: experienced oponents know how to block downB and jump out to punish between hits

and again: i mix up recovery w/ F.air(if not in air, aiming for the ledge), and reverse Headbutt to B.airing, fastfalling/airdodging below to recover underneath, etc
you GOTTA do it all.

FC'd Giant punch >>> 9 wind, but sometimes opportunities present themselves (especially if you don't have it fully charged) In WHOBO pools: I went 1-1 w/ UltimateRazor's snake: the 2nd match i killed him w/ an aerial reversed 9 wind. **** happens!

ALSO. pleased to meet you OP.

my problem w/ the DK boards is we have TOO many random threads. I'd really like to see useless/old stuff get locked instead of bumped every week. its really annoying.

maybe we can start over w/ character matchup discussion. alot of what is written is VERY outdated (at least in mindset/opinion).
i think it would be interesting if we all submitted our opinioned ratios of all DK's matchups, averaged it out, and see which ones where in most conflict about.
Some of us are much more optimistic about DK's matchups (cbk) while others very pessimstic (myself).

anyway..thats just food for thought

SuSa

You guys always are behind, I wasn't kidding about that. You guys find things 5-6 months late... always.

JOAT = Jack of all Trades

Ragnar0k, I'm talking about stalling to avoid a move. not recovering =p

Hey, it's Cyphus. :) A name I actually recognize.

1) Yes, most boards have random threads. I try to close the unneeded and necro'd ones. I just need a list of those for the DK Boards.

2) If the others don't mind, I'd agree with that being done. It's good to restart sometimes, especially if a lot is outdated. (I wouldn't know but considering your BRoom + DK, I'd assume you know what you are talking about)

If someone wants to run it, I can help them out. (I just can't run it by myself, I moderate 3 boards now...)

3) If you can get the regulars to do so we could rate it much like how the tier list was made. (Which I don't fully understand -_- but you could do that) but what if they don't vote on EVERY character. (For example not having the knowledge of the matchup) because I know SOME (10-15) of the matchups on the OPPOSITE side which is still good input on the matchup because you get to see it from 2 POV's

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
we have a mod now?! this is madness!

btw me and ook are probably the most regular and experienced Dk's on the board so if you've got something you need help with just ask and we'll help you out.

I only do side b OOS

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
hey, question

you know how snake bounces around using his sideb to land easier?

that works with all specials, correct?

can dk bounce the punch? a little boost on that would be extremely helpful sometimes.

actually that question is a lie, I know he can bounce the punch because I've seen and done it accidently, the real question would be how do I bounce the punch?

EDIT: and most of us are up to date (or fairly up to date at least) we just never pool our knowledge cause we're lazy. it doesn't help that very few play dk and even less play him well. honestly, if dk got the kind of attention that link or sonic has he'd move up 3 spots in the tier list

SuSa

Yes you can b-reverse the punch.

Charged:

Press B then QUICKLY (first few frames. Or first frame, I can't remember) press towards your BACK (or against momentum, again I can't remember)

Uncharged/9 charged:

Press B TWICE *once to start charge, second to punch* then hit back quickly. This is more challenging.

Will do Ripple.

BTW: itsthebigfoot, we still have a Q&A.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
B reversing the punch would put you in fall special afterword. Just simply press b and then sideways to do it. It has to be quick though.

@ SuSa: I use headbutt fairly often to stall offstage if someone is trying to shoot an aura sphere or somthing at me. It's rather handy and doesn't put you as low as trying to air dodge through it or wasting that precious double jump.

I side b when I realize that the opponent likes to shield a lot. Aerial side b is better than grounded in every way so remember that.

edit: I just got ninja'd by 3 posts. I don't think that's ever happened on the DK boards before lol.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Yeah I meant that you get put in fall special regardless. I just worded it weird.

SuSa

Also your way changes the direction, but not the momentum. Just a heads up.

The momentum change isn't drastic for DK's punch though. (Or any of DK's moves IIRC from like 3 hours ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom