• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Midwest, we need to talk *READ 1st POST BEFORE REPLYING*

Tomacawk

Smash Master
just found this thread.
I agree with everything KirkQ and bigD have said (I only read the first 3 pages). With the risk of being a **** rider, I ALWAYS read kirkq and bigd posts. You guys rock. Post more.
Little England your intentions are good but I think you've judged the midwest smash scene too quickly. We have many dedicated players; myself included. The problem is distance, college, and johns/attitude fail, in that order. I think that the attitude stems from the aforementioned distance and time barriers.

I come from a poor family. I live with my brother and his roommate for free because I have no other way to live near SIUE and attend college and they are nice enough to give me the opportunity to better myself and get out of the family financial history. All the money I have is obtained from working a job I hate that takes away from my grades. I do not manage to travel much, but it is by no means a lack of effort. When you have work or school 5-7 days a week it's almost impossible to travel at all.

I don't really feel like sharing my smash story; many of you know bits and pieces of it. I will say this much, though: I've always had a bit of an ego, but I have at the same time been able to realistically judge my skills and know that I'm far from a midwest competitor. Fun has always been more important to me than winning--this is and will forever be the case for me. However, I think that smoking at tournaments and focusing so strongly on the times spent with some of my best friends has held me back. AND I DON'T CARE. No regrets.
However, I'm done smoking at tournaments, I really shocked myself at HDR and found out I'm far better than I thought I was. I still have much to learn and intend to use my time at tournaments to improve as much as I can. But I will NEVER sacrifice the fun I have with everybody here for the sake of winning. The development of my life has been influenced greatly by the people who I play this game with and it will continue to be shaped by my experiences; for that I am forever thankful. I hope that I can make some money along the way to at least cover the expense of travelling, but as it is I can only throw a little bit of money towards travelling.
I like the idea but **** your petition little england. Words and "promises" to get better are meaningless. I'm going to try to let my results, actions, and achievements (this may be arrogant assuming I have achieved anything at this point in my "career") speak for themselves.
I like you Jason, honestly. I probably come off a little spiteful/malicious but that's not my intent at all. I'm just saying things the way that I feel they are.

john!

Smash Hero
Didn't you read what he posted Luke? You disagree with him, therefore you obviously didn't understand his "point". And you don't understand his "point", therefore you didn't read. And you didn't read, therefore he's not going to respond to you.

I need to try this trick next time I argue on the Internet.

Disclaimer: I probably come off as malicious but that's not my intent.

Double disclaimer: I'm just irritated right now for some reason. Don't judge me!

Dart!

Smash Master
I hope this thread gets purged soon. i keep looking in it hoping for intelligent conversation, i leave very bored.

john!

Smash Hero
i'm not bitter, i'm just a lil salty is all :lick: i should stop posting in this topic

edit: unless you want to talk about something intelligent josh

what was the biggest factor in your recent improvement? did you realize something that suddenly made you improve faster, or was it hard work and dedication, or do you not really know?

Dart!

Smash Master
if i had to take a guess i finally realized how to space properly without getting lucky/***** all the time. Like rockcrock used to say "you space well, i just spaced better" now i'm the one spacing "better"

Tink may whine about me getting "lucky" tippers all the time but my character is pure spacing so it's gotta be more than luck by now.

That and i've been traveling alot so i'm getting alot of experience so that helps.

other than that i can't say.

Big_R

Smash Champion
dude tho. i read ur whack first post. it's off base. step ur game up and l2be right aka edit it out and put what i say in there. u can improve the grammar and whatnot if ud like. dont twist the core message tho i kno it might be a hard pill to swallow

also ur tainted by being int he mw at this time period and at purdue. one of the scrubiest attitude places in the mw if u ask me. everyone on cunning's balls and no desire to ever try and beat him....for whatever reason. guy doesn;t even play in tournys....

crazy kids....

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
dude tho. i read ur whack first post. it's off base. step ur game up and l2be right aka edit it out and put what i say in there. u can improve the grammar and whatnot if ud like. dont twist the core message tho i kno it might be a hard pill to swallow

also ur tainted by being int he mw at this time period and at purdue. one of the scrubiest attitude places in the mw if u ask me. everyone on cunning's balls and no desire to ever try and beat him....for whatever reason. guy doesn;t even play in tournys....

crazy kids....
Attitude.
I literally almost beat Big R by doing nothing but wave dash down smash at like my 4th tournament ever.
Result.

Also, it'd be very awesome if we can move discussion the way Josh has taken it. I'll post specifics on how I got better later on today.

Dart!

Smash Master

crazy kids....
I don't know whether you're a really good troll, or just an annoying guy who doesn't even play this game anymore.

Haters gonna hate but Cunning is good, you've no right to bash someone INFINITELY better than you. He's also a nice person IRL, he has his reasons for not entering so back off. you should really watch what you say.

Here's your om noms though so be happy :awesome:

LoOshKiN

Smash Journeyman
I don't plan on improving but I can't seem to not improve every time I go to a tournament. I guess it just comes with going to tournaments and other things.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Midwest ftw
good job guys we suck forever whether we like it or not
is there any prophecy in midwestern lore of a hero[es] consistently beating national competition?
also big r posts are funny
and if you were the guy who jumped on a chair at poe3 and started rapping then you're way more awesome than I thought

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
bigr is way better than jayford, i dont care how close he let you get to beating him

cunning is pretty good, but last time i played him i went considerably better than even with him. granted, he didnt use fox, but since he refuses to use fox i dont care how good it is

bigr is more awesome than anybody posting in this thread

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
more awesome than bunbun isn't that hard.

but yeah i'm more serious than most people and i'm trying to get one of my hardcore buddies into serious smash maybe i'll learn HOW to fight kirby I don't know I struggle with that match-up puff is easier for me but I just suck.

Dart!

Smash Master
bigr is way better than jayford, i dont care how close he let you get to beating him

cunning is pretty good, but last time i played him i went considerably better than even with him. granted, he didnt use fox, but since he refuses to use fox i dont care how good it is

bigr is more awesome than anybody posting in this thread
:glare:
Maybe i read too far into it then.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I support the message behind this thread, but it will go to waste without more tourneys and more out-of-state traveling by the Midwest. Everything starts with a great tourney scene to compete in, so that should be the priority right now, not really a change in mindset or motivation. I created a Google Docs spreadsheet so that as a region, we can be on the same page (literally) regarding tourney schedule. Hopefully this will encourage a lot more traveling and consequently a lot more experience and skill progression for everyone involved.

MIDWEST MELEE CALENDAR 2011: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...WFDSE1ibk4yMUZIV1FGNEE&hl=en&authkey=CIftxfgI

I'm asking all Midwest Melee TOs (Sveet, Vro, iamthemicrowave, lonejedi, Ocho, Radium... anyone else?) to bookmark this page and also tell me their email so that I can grant them editing access. I hope with this we can completely avoid schedule conflicts... for example, if IL expresses interest in traveling to OH for a tourney, WI should not all of a sudden schedule a tourney for the same day and steal those potential attendees from OH; even if WI and OH are so far apart that they wouldn't travel to each other's events, there's a third party involved and we should all understand that. Any thoughts on this?

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
its called midwest circuit

do it do it do it do it

but dont pick stupid locations. pick locations that draw biggest crowds (STL, Chicago, indiana, champaign etc)
it sucks for ppl far away but thems the breaks. its stupid to have like a 20 person tourney in minnesota

and dont start it till next year cuz i'll be really active next spring (i'll be a senior and i'm taking golf 100 LOL)

KittyMW

Smash Apprentice
k so win for tournies next year and shoutout to MI peeps for being crazy awesome and hosting a great tourney

Top Bottom