• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Midwest, we need to talk *READ 1st POST BEFORE REPLYING*

KittyMW

Smash Apprentice
reneblade i sig'd you bcuz what you said was too legit plus thats how i feel about my freind he got me into all this crazy **** and now i cant (and dont ever want) to get out

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
i aint saying you should have 4-5 chars and play....but 2-3 tournament level char is def doable.....m2k is the prime example when he never sticks to any 1 char throughout a tournament(same cannot be said for brawl sadly -_- ).
i agree, but m2k was never better when he went all marth in the 2006-2008 era. he ***** all the sheiks except kdj, he ultra ***** all the spacies, and then mango came along. m2k's prime was incredible with that marth. now, the best he can do is 4th. mango, hbox, armada all beat his a$$$.

btw, i don't think there's one true way to handle your mains or secondaries. do what you have to do, everyone is different. :p

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
See *****s, IN is where the corn is @.

@ kitty, yeah thats exactly how i feel, i was content with playing counter-strike and **** untill PEEF wouldn't quit bugging about playing melee.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
we have more hills than illinois but still hardly any until you get all the way to the eastern edge

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
you guys need to travel outside of the mw sometime if you think ohio is very hilly

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Cincinnati seemed pretty hilly imo. You are right though, when you get into those mountain states, those are hilly. I don't like driving there...

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i guess im just used to cincinnati and then spent 3 months in the himalayas last year so our tiny hills dont seem like mountains anymore

outside of the ohio river valley though, like driving across 70 to columbus or up along 80 toward cleveland, its as flat as indiana

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
This has been my offical motto for about 2 months now:

"It's sooooooooooooo easy being blue"

referring to the blue bird ofcourse.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
dont blame you, i just thought that you had already moved on before you became a mod anyway so i figured there wasnt much more moving on to do

Big_R

Smash Champion
this thread is dumb mw is way too far apart so we dont have gatherings of ppl so there is lil incentive to practice to beat any particular person.

for mw to count as a region compared to "SoCal" is dumb cuz of population and distance.

but i will beat u lil engles if u want just for the record.

Big_R

Smash Champion
Jesus Christ! I swear people are intent on completely dodging my point, OR they just can't READ!

*requesting thread lock*

It's turned into a social thread for the most part anyways and most people have gotten something out of it, so I've done my job.
quit poppin off at the mouth and if u rly wanna change the world then gather a ton of ppl to host a bunch of tournaments. no one hosts anyyything.

if u host it they will come. prob with mw is we never use our cities we do have we end up hosting this country **** thats 5 hrs away

but i dont even like this game right now haha i pretty much quit but ya my points still stand.

Sliq

Smash Master
ITT: Some bad kid tells the whole region of the Midwest to be better.

darkatma

Smash Hero
lolll little england just give up, ppl who wanna improve will, and people who don't, wont.

but come to HDR anyways coz it's gonna feature almost the entire midwest :D
plus i wanna **** you in falco dittos

john!

Smash Hero
he's got a point though

little england, if you just so happened to grow up in the midwest instead of socal, you really think you'd be even close to your current skill level?

try getting good driving several hours for every tournament with the 2/3 people in your town who play smash.

the midwest's relatively low motivation to get better is due mostly to our unfortunate position on the earth and not because we are lazy or inherently unskilled.

tl;dr geography johns

dmac

Smash Champion
i dont have anything to contribute to the actual discussion, but i'd recommend you update your first post with a question/answer section summarizing your points and peoples possible criticisms and updating the thread title with *READ FIRST POST BEFORE REPLYING*

people in this thread have had a habit of responding without actually realizing what you're saying(and i've really appreciated the thread)

remember that even though you are 100% genuine in your intentions to be helpful, peoples (possibly wrong) perceptions dictate reality and have trouble understanding your salient points

john!

Smash Hero
my apologies for not reading through the whole thread. if you want to point me to your answers then i'll read them.

i just find it hard to believe that you could still have these opinions after hearing from me (and others before me) why the midwest inherently isn't as conducive to the growth of a smash scene as the region you came from.

so you might want to change the first post, indicating that you either have a different point than the one that obviously came across, or that you're holding us responsible for the area in which we were born.

edit: just read through the first 150 posts or so. your point still seems to me to be that we lack the motivation to improve that the coasts have. my point still stands though, you should understand the reason for the lack of motivation before you set out to fix it. you can try and instill a greater motivation for us to get better, but you shouldn't be frustrated or even surprised if we aren't living up to your expectations, because comparing the midwest to socal is like apples and oranges. i've never doubted that you have good intentions making this thread (otherwise you wouldn't have made it in the first place) but you seem to be missing my point entirely. chexr nailed it early on and you, of course, dismissed him without an actual response.

Top Bottom