• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Midwest, we need to talk *READ 1st POST BEFORE REPLYING*

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I dunno, I see Smash as pride based. Like I don't care about being the BEST, but I don't wanna lose to too many people =P Sooooooooo..... work in progress for me atm cause I'm mad inconsistent >_<

AustinRC

Smash Lord
If we can get a more active scene in each state of the MW and help each other to get better, the MW in general will get better overall. I'm dedicating myself to getting more people to play and helping the players in Kansas get as good as they can from now on. Also I'm knew to the midwest and after already having completed one of my goals I have set a new one. First I will become the best in the MidWest next I will be top 5 in US. :D Get at me kids. But srsly if at least one player from each state gets 5 or more people to pick the game up and help out their fellow players the region as a whole will become very good. LETS GET AT IT MIDWEST!!! <3 little England.

KittyMW

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see an increase in activity in the MW i love melee so much and im always looking for chances to play new people and get better its just hard when theres no one around my area (Youngstown, Oh) but im always looking for new people to play so if anyone is close or something or knows when a big tournament is going down then i will travel when i can

KittyMW

Smash Apprentice
people dont want to travel its the hardest part it stinks when to play anyone near your level you normally have to travel min. 1hr. and half to 2 hours away just to play people that are challenging

Dart!

Smash Master
people dont want to travel its the hardest part it stinks when to play anyone near your level you normally have to travel min. 1hr. and half to 2 hours away just to play people that are challenging
those are johns though, the worst kind. an hour and a half is nothing. no car worth traveling with gets ***** by an hour and half drive

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
because those people, looking for people to play, dont live by other people?

locally there arent players, so therefore they are looking

youngstown, oh, for example, is 5 hours from cincinnati, where i live

columbus is roughly in between, at a solid 2 from cincy and 3 from the whole cleveland area

dart, you travel a ton and i give you huge credit for that, and while an hour and a half to 2 hours for a tournament is nothing, an hour and a half to 2 hours to play friendlies with 1 or 2 other people is a whole different story

ive done it, but its not something i feel like doing all the time and i think that pretty much everyone in the world agrees, therefore the problem with us being too spread out

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Youngstown, OH? Hmm....a lotta people call me to complain about their McDonald's experience from that area lol. Maybe I should point them in your direction to play Melee instead of whine and ***** xD

And yeah, it kinda sucks that we've gotten past the total scrub stage in Peoria =( Had we got more people involved when we were just starting to play, we woulda had a bigger crew IMO. For some dumb reason though, people have this silly complex about them around here that if they can't be the **** best at something from the time they first start, they quit playing. Then they play Halo and become online heroes and think they're good until they play LAN against someone and get wrecked, and then they play another game. Cycle goes on...yeah.

Nonetheless, the few we have here(Dart, Captain Pron, Black Panther, Anthony even though he's in Champaign now, and myself) do have mad heart for gettin' good. Black Panther just needs to read the Fox boards, a little humility never hurt anybody.

Dart!

Smash Master
because those people, looking for people to play, dont live by other people?

locally there arent players, so therefore they are looking

youngstown, oh, for example, is 5 hours from cincinnati, where i live

columbus is roughly in between, at a solid 2 from cincy and 3 from the whole cleveland area

dart, you travel a ton and i give you huge credit for that, and while an hour and a half to 2 hours for a tournament is nothing, an hour and a half to 2 hours to play friendlies with 1 or 2 other people is a whole different story

ive done it, but its not something i feel like doing all the time and i think that pretty much everyone in the world agrees, therefore the problem with us being too spread out
i feel ya

i said that with all the intents and purposes of it being a tournament though.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
ah, but when you see "to play anyone near your level you normally have to travel min. 1hr. and half to 2 hours away just to play people that are challenging"

kittymw even redundantly emphasized that nobody within an hour and a half even compares

the worst part is that, once you get to columbus, the best guys there never even want to play

also dart, dont quit marth, sheik can be handled just dtilt and retreating nair

didnt feel like responding in 2 threads

Dart!

Smash Master
It's alright, glad we got that handled ^_^;

and i won't i wasn't even thinking about it...i was just a little discouraged at how i main marth but could pull out fox and do better against a certain character. -_-

only because that character is super popular/nearly top tier

john!

Smash Hero
Just found this thread. Put me on the list. And Little England, we are money matching. No way am I gonna let you hype up coastie Peaches like Connor without playing some of ours first!

Moooose

Smash Champion
It's alright, glad we got that handled ^_^;

and i won't i wasn't even thinking about it...i was just a little discouraged at how i main marth but could pull out fox and do better against a certain character. -_-

only because that character is super popular/nearly top tier
lol next time we play will be interesting...seeing as i picked up sheik for the marth matchup.
falco/sheik vs fox/marth yessssss

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Man even if I had a car I wouldn't do that, doesn't make you weird though, I respect anyone who drives in the name of smash you just won't ever see me doin it, although I would take the charter bus up to Naperville to play with Zec and anyone else that would just happen to be around. Back to the topic, is this a list of people you're goin to help when you see them at tourneys or friendlies, or just wherever? Either way I definitely agree that MW needs to improve but we only have a select few people who are decently good. On top of that, everyone is so far apart from one another ;_;.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
yeah its fine occasionally, especially for you quaz when youll drive 2 hours to a great chicago smashfest

in ohio, ive driven 2 hours to play with bigr (and vice versa). there have been times when ive gone to columbus for a decent smashfest, but ive also gone just to play with bigr, and if we werent like the buddest of the buds i would probably not be doing that

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Thanks for the read Little England man I appreciate what you wrote in this cause there are 3 people I want to beat but 1 of them lives in Des Moines so I keep this in mind next time and I want to improve as well but I don't have a Wii at the moment and all I can do is play melee so enough about me and thanks for the info.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i dont even know

i just wouldnt want you to get the matchups you wanted haha

i would probably play either marth or sheik vs your falco and either fox or falco vs your sheik

Moooose

Smash Champion
i actually like sheik vs fox/falco though haha. maybe i should just main sheik lol. falco is too easy to sd with.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i do

but

i got my other characters who do it better anyway so why handicap myself

moose, everybody likes sheik vs spaceys, thats why i play sheik vs you as well, buuut i think i could beat you in that matchup still. maybe with marth too, i like that matchup a lot

Moooose

Smash Champion
probably, if you stopped missing every single one of your edgeguards LOL =p.
im just messin but imo thats where your sheik needs work

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
im normally really good at edgeguarding, i just did pretty bad vs you

i kept trying to needle you instead of just doing the automatic kill with the dj nair

and when i said i think i could beat you, i meant with my falco vs your sheik

england, i feel you, but i play those characters anyway so i just play who i wanna play. and i do generally know all my matchups with all of those characters pretty well, except for falcon vs sheik but thats not from lack of trying. i just happen to be better at different matchups with a few different characters, due to my playing all of those characters

KittyMW

Smash Apprentice
im normally really good at edgeguarding, i just did pretty bad vs you

i kept trying to needle you instead of just doing the automatic kill with the dj nair

and when i said i think i could beat you, i meant with my falco vs your sheik

england, i feel you, but i play those characters anyway so i just play who i wanna play. and i do generally know all my matchups with all of those characters pretty well, except for falcon vs sheik but thats not from lack of trying. i just happen to be better at different matchups with a few different characters, due to my playing all of those characters
yo big d if i ever get the chance id love to play you sometime ive heard your pretty good and i think youve played my friend he mains peach and hes also from youngstown but ya sometime we should play i just dont know how it could happen or when

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
if your friend used to go to the cbus tourneys, then ive probably played him at least once

best bet would be if columbus gets their smashfests going again, and we can both make it on the same day, or you go to a tourney in chicago sometime

Quaz

Smash Master
Ohio needs to host another tourney so I can go to it, maybe.

IF it gets attendance and stuff

oh I wont go if its gonna be a melee/brawl tourney, because those will mainly just be brawl and like 10 people for melee will show up.

KittyMW

Smash Apprentice
I can hold a big melée tourney just have to make sure there is a big attendance I know a place that can hold prob about 100 people so ya if there's interest lemme know

Tink

Smash Hero
little england said:
People generally become better players when they learn their characters "bad" matchup(s). *See HugS, Wobbles, Hax, Armada* imo you're indirectly handicapping yourself by switching characters. Just my opinion.
you crazzzzzyyyyy......if that was true, then i woudlve went fox vs you at purdue and lost, as compared to going that young secondary marth, and dazzling you :p.

i know the fox/falco matchup really good, but if a good falco also knows the matchup great(which almost alll do), were back to square one -_-....i aint saying you should have 4-5 chars and play....but 2-3 tournament level char is def doable.....m2k is the prime example when he never sticks to any 1 char throughout a tournament(same cannot be said for brawl sadly -_- ).

edit, also, we just need another scsyn, smym, poe, mi tourny spaced out about every other month, or once a month and we will be fine.

sorry to say, but OH smash has fallen off....where it once was the biggest smash collective, its now down to every other areas(10-20 at most locals)...and with the long travel it takes to get out there for every region(west side couldnt even imagine to come), its always gonna get low attendance -_-.

Dart!

Smash Master
you crazzzzzyyyyy......if that was true, then i woudlve went fox vs you at purdue and lost, as compared to going that young secondary marth, and dazzling you :p.

i know the fox/falco matchup really good, but if a good falco also knows the matchup great(which almost alll do), were back to square one -_-....i aint saying you should have 4-5 chars and play....but 2-3 tournament level char is def doable.....m2k is the prime example when he never sticks to any 1 char throughout a tournament(same cannot be said for brawl sadly -_- ).

edit, also, we just need another scsyn, smym, poe, mi tourny spaced out about every other month, or once a month and we will be fine.

sorry to say, but OH smash has fallen off....where it once was the biggest smash collective, its now down to every other areas(10-20 at most locals)...and with the long travel it takes to get out there for every region(west side couldnt even imagine to come), its always gonna get low attendance -_-.
So sad, jason has 3 tourney viable chars and still can't beat jigglypuff.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
you crazzzzzyyyyy......if that was true, then i woudlve went fox vs you at purdue and lost...
*pause*

What's wrong with losing? I wonder how many clichés I can find on Google that sound something like "You gotta take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward." :p

And imo, M2K is just the most successful noob in the history of all fighting games. He has quite a long resume that proves that. (Mental resume in case you hadn't guessed lol) Hence why he johns so hard. Had you have used an example like Teczero I would've totally bought your supporting statements.:laugh:

edit/ Come to think of it, I retract that statement about Teczero! 9/10 of the best players from the US and Europe stick with their mains.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
shout-outs to kitty for sig'ing me.

so what i'm hearing is another tournament in evansville woul draw interest from chicago? what about St. Louis? Purdue?

also, forget about big D, he was totally 3 years ago. :p (<3 jk Big D would still give me the solid 3-stock.)

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
reneblade i dont really even get your joke

tink you didnt come to our 50 person tournaments in ohio 1-2 years ago anyway, nobody did except pittsburgh and then on the last one a few wisconsin people came

i dont know why people automatically dont want to go to ohio tourneys, its barely further from chicago than evansville, has more and stronger locals than evansville, and is closer to michigan and east coast so has more potential for bigger, better tourneys if it could get anybody to come. for some reason though, hardly anybody outside of ohio is interested at all in going to ohio tourneys

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
i was trying to say you're old-school.

then i was all "jk hed **** me"

i'd go to ohio. i wanted to go to the showdown, but work and lazy johns kept me from going.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Its really about which type of corn fields you prefer driving through. Personally, I liked the IN corn a bit more than the IL corn. Whats OH corn like?

Top Bottom