• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Midwest, we need to talk *READ 1st POST BEFORE REPLYING*

napZzz

Smash Hero
how can someone from cali tell the midwest players that all of us simply have the goal of beating kels in mind....=/

I think its just due to the fact that the midwest has less players and is more spread out so that we dont really get to always travel around and play everyone we can and improve the same as focused areas in the east and west coast where alot of good players reside, and no offense but its not like you guys are amazing outside of a few areas, not just your entire region as a whole

Honestly, I dont think you understand anything about what we do out here, and you assume that just because we aren't as good we aren't doing the same thing that YOU are and apparently thats why we aren't as good....

Dart!

Smash Master
i havent seen dope in forever =(

this one set i had with illboyzeus he was beatin me like 4 stocks to 2
then i took 4 stocks not losin one
best day ever

ill try to make smarter decisions darttt
$3 mm next time, gimme da marf
best sheik main: drephen, mattr(when he's playing well), raychun's ghost???

best marth: JBM Falcon Dart AustinRC moved to the MW too Tink isn't top level with marth anymore...still hella good though and sveet :rotfl:
best falcon: tom R'izzzzllle

don't worry MW, i'm coming back at some point. i'll drop some deuces on you young kids at the next tournament peef ruins.

bzoo, i'm coming for you!!! :-p just playing. i miss chicago and the smash scene 2222much
fixeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

King~

Smash Champion
since melee players eyes on this topic, are there any in downtown chicago, south loop area

i wanna play some type of smash with humans

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Saying the "top target" is better than Kels is now?
Oh ok I see what you mean now. Well then, bluntly put, yes I believe that is the case.

Neither of us will ever be able to prove our beliefs though unfortunately. xD

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Saying the "top target" is better than Kels is now?
Oh ok, I see what you mean now. Well then, bluntly put, yes I believe that is the case.

Neither of us will ever be able to prove our beliefs though unfortunately. xD

On topic: I believe the majority of the Midwest is too lax, reserved, lazy, or all of the above when it comes to the game itself, despite being quite scattered within its own region; and this applies to players of both games. East Coast, West Coast, South...they all have that "something" about them that competition seems to thrive in. As a very competitive player who works twice as hard with his character than most players do with their character choice which only serves to increase my competitive appetite...I'm quite jealous of their atmosphere.

There is one quality that the Midwest seems to still do well with though: hospitality and/or making people feel welcomed. That is always a plus and should never be served as any sort of bargaining chip to further competition. There is always a medium, it is just up to us to find it and build our activity from there.

Nicole

Smash Champion
i would **** kels
at brawl

cool thread though, keep the melee scene alive and growing in the MW

Mundungu

Smash Lord
unfortunately when enough people think like this, it just reinforces the problem. I think where it comes from is that players expect low turnout, and don't want to play/lose to the same people, so they stop traveling. Nowadays the only way to get a state to show up is with OoS interest. The only way to get OoS interest is with region-wide interest. The only way to spark region-wide interest is with OoR interest. But we can't get OoR interest without big tournaments. So nobody goes. It's a catch 22.

Wisconsin was a huge victim of this and as a result all of our TO's stopped hosting out of frustration, and now our scene has dwindled to a dozen players max, half of which dare to go 30 minutes over the border for tournaments.

It's a problem with the entire community, and a handful of people individually pledging "goals to improve" wont amount to anything in terms of the scene. We would still fall victim to the vicious circle of people dropping out of tournaments in fear of low turnouts. I'd bet good money that if I hosted a tourney up in Oshkosh half the people who have, or eventually will, sign this thread would not show up. We need something else to ensure the entire community will want to attend, and then big tournaments will come naturally.
I just wanted to reiterate this post. I feel this has been the issue with the MW for the past 2-3 years now, as our active players have been steadily decreasing over the years. The midwest circuit was a great incentive to get people to travel OOS back in the day, but nothing like that is around today. It seems like there are just a bunch of small 20 player clusters scattered around the MW that never really go out of their way anymore.

This is a very interesting thread, and I agree that you need to put effort into improving by setting specific goals as opposed to just hoping it magically happens, but that isn't the core problem in the MW. I completely agree with what spikes is saying as the root problem here.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
it wasnt a time zone confusion about when POE left, im just pretty sure i left around 1 am. i know that at the point we left, almost everything was already closed because we only found one place that was open to serve us food, and we didnt get there til almost 2 am

anyway, the "retired" status of viperboy and bigr is irrelevant because there havent really even been any tournaments that they would have gone to but didnt since POE, which they were both at. i'm almost positive that shaeden is better than LE from what i've seen of both, but he's a fox main really so i guess he doesn't count either

moose falco dittos are my least favorite falco matchup but i'll play you in some next time i see you anyway. my falco is probably at least as good as any of my other characters, but i play different characters for different matchups nowadays so it varies per person/matchup

and i agree with spikes/mundungu, i'm pretty sure almost everybody who has signed up so far has only traveled once or twice at most, and those were not consistent at all and not more than 4-5 hours away or so for guaranteed great tournaments. except quaz, who claimed he was not playing to improve anymore a couple months ago, and dart who drove like 3 hours by himself to some ****ty 12 dude tournament in winthrop harbor (good **** dart). my point here is that most of you claiming to be ready for action and improvement havent actually shown that dedication, dont really understand what it will take for things to change, and dont understand exactly how bad things are.

man sveet now i feel guilty every time i post something like this, but really we need more people taking action and not just acting like pledges will solve the problem

Quaz

Smash Master
actually I couldn't leave it, I'm still playing to improve after all

why wouldnt someone play to improve? Its kinda dumb when you think about it, I don't enjoy getting whooped on all the time and the ONLY option is to just get better, right?

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
BigD, do you even read my posts? I swear everything you've said has been addressed before and now you're bringing it back up.

Stop being so prideful about my "probably one of the best falco mains" statement. It was just an uncertain claim, hence the word "probably" and even if I was THE best Falco main out here, that would not give me any sort of ego boost.

And in regards to the pledge, once again, I did not expect the pledge to magically make people start improving. It is in an attempt to change the mindsets of those who have felt discouraged/lost, so that they can regain a sense of confidence and always have something to look back to (the OP) when they encounter hurdles/frustration they may experience from time to time.

In my opinion, you pointing out that those who have pledged have not traveled in the past was completely unnecessary. They have to start somewhere right? They wouldn't have signed it if they weren't interested in going to more tournaments. That alone is a good first step.

edit/
Awesome. :)
Kirk said Dope, Viperboy, and BigR would all **** me. Looking forward to it. :D

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Really we have to ask what everyone wants I want to do amazing other people want to have a great time and others have other reasons some people you can't change really I think it would help more if we tryed to get more players. and when playing try to encourage other smashers.

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
Fixed:laugh:

Come back soon Ray so i can whoop on that Sheik with Pikachu:)

hahaha...man those were some good days, dude. kels is the man. if anyone doubts he has the best spacies in the midwest, you're a fool.

And to the larger point, Kels has shown dedication to the game and has earned his shiiett. people forget how much he has traveled and who he beat just because he wins so much. stop with the internet hate and actually give our best player some props.

i think the MW sucks too but so what? Just play to get better, do your best, and have some fun along the way.

Dart!

Smash Master
hahaha...man those were some good days, dude. kels is the man. if anyone doubts he has the best spacies in the midwest, you're a fool.

And to the larger point, Kels has shown dedication to the game and has earned his shiiett. people forget how much he has traveled and who he beat just because he wins so much. stop with the internet hate and actually give our best player some props.

i think the MW sucks too but so what? Just play to get better, do your best, and have some fun along the way.
I miss you ray, the funniest thing i heard at the vro zones was a rule named after you about not entering tournaments. LOL

PEEF!

Smash Hero
it wasnt a time zone confusion about when POE left, im just pretty sure i left around 1 am. i know that at the point we left, almost everything was already closed because we only found one place that was open to serve us food, and we didnt get there til almost 2 am
You just arent right about this, and I don't want to keep debating it. The tournament was over around 11:15. In Evansville nothing stays open other than IHOP and Dennys. You are simply mistaken here. The cleanup crew and I were out by 1.

Anyway I think I could beat LE =D

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Finished reading most/skimming the rest of the posts.

[collapse=kinda useless prefacing]
Similar to you, I come from a thriving smash state (Florida,) and have had the pleasure of playing and watching many top smashers: Hungrybox, ShizWiz, Speedn, Rockcrock, QDVS, Colbol, etc. All of which I have tourney set wins against, (though I will clarify the last time I beat Hbox Shiz and Speed in sets were before they became completely amazing.)

I was also ranked number 8 in FL on the last edition of the FL power rankings. Right now FL does not have current melee rankings. I do not think I would have made a top 10 in FL rankings, mostly because I did not go to tourneys enough, top 15 is much more realistic.

Since moving to the MW I have been to one (real) tourney so far in Chicago. I got a disappointing 9th, losing to M2k and a defensive ORLY. Those who placed above me I played in friendlies/pools, 2-0'ing Dart, and going even with Andale in friendlies.

Moreso than my placing, I was extremely distressed at my inability to play hard in all games. I sandbagged. In every match where I had any sort of a lead I sandbagged. Even in some games where I did not have a lead I sandbagged. It was not as large in tournament, but almost every friendly before and after the tourney involved a pretty large amount sandbagging, including my friendlies post-tourney with Andale and Dart. (To whom I apologize, as I knew you both wanted to play me seriously but I honestly couldn't help it.)

I have not been back to a tournament since, as until I can guarentee I will be able to play as hard as possible regardless of the match, I consider myself a waste of time to play against. I think the time is approaching, and would go to the Chicago tourney on Sat, but my gf is flying into town this weekend and we haven't seen each other in 2 months.

But my experience with the MW has been very interesting so far. I told Quaz the other day that I believe the average MWer is perhaps more skilled than the average FL person. The reason for this being that FL still has a young and growing scene--a much larger amount of people still learning the game, who have only started playing in the past year.

In the MW I am surprised how many of you have been around for as long or longer than myself, and therefore have a similar pride to mine. Though we may not have ever been the best or well known, we've been around long enough to see some real **** happen. There's also a kind of exasperation, to have been playing this game for 4-6 years and feeling like you haven't improved in 2.5. You don't have any glaring bad habits, think enough to stop being punished for the same thing in any given game, but you lose to the same people over and over and over (and over) again. And you don't feel like you're getting better.
[/collapse]
I don't think you're giving the MW enough credit in your OP, LE.

However, the problems mentioned by LE are very accurate.
  • While most of the people in the MW do want to improve, there is less of a drive in those people, and they are fewer than in FL or other strong smash areas.
  • There seems to be a resignation of the MW to being the least skilled smash area. DRPP is a great counterexample to the common idea that population implies greatly skilled players.
  • There is also a resignation about smash slowly dying in the MW. Very few new people are joining the scene, tournaments are growing smaller and further between. There is this idea that within 5 years there won't be anymore tourneys in the MW at all.
Overall the area seems to be resigned to its fate. Fortunately it doesn't have to be this way. I have spent all of my smash time since that tourney in Chicago trying to revitalize WI's scene. Madison is quickly becoming the envy of the rest of WI, due to the efforts several smashers are putting in here.

The whole business of being more spread out is only partially true. By far the MW is the biggest region. It is also the least densely populated. However, smash centers around cities, not states, and definitely not regions. Orlando is one of the most active smash communities in the country, but it is outranked in population by 26 other areas in the United States alone, 6 of which are in the MW.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

What I'm saying is that there could be 6 areas in the MW more active than Orlando/Kissimmee. There should be at least one.

The community has changed. We have to do legwork now. Everyone who is not involved in the tourney scene assumes melee is dead. How many more Dart!'s are out there? A bunch.

You want to bring life back to your community? Hold regular smashfests. Once a week or biweekly. Start advertising it. Mention it to your friends. Get involved in the university--start a smash club, or put up fliers around the U.

There is so much room for growth in the MW. Hosting tournaments is only part of the battle.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I know for a fact I could beat LE, and i don't even play this game.

By the way, all of the smash vets from what I've seen are graduated/bout to graduate. People grow up...

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Good post Exarch. I don't think beating LE has anything to do with the OP Quivo/Peef... If you don't play this game, you probably aren't going to beat him lmao.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
QUIVO I'm 23 and been graduated for 2 years. And been good grammar for as just long.

Point is I'm not doing all the work in Madison. If you want to get involved with the University, (which you should since it's a guarenteed way to rejuvenate your smash scene,) you can find a way. Someone there thinks he's best in the world, or wishes his friends would start playing melee again.

You just have to start something.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Just because it's a game doesn't mean you can't play it for fun. No different than being in a softball league when you are 40, or watching sports, or playing any sports. They are all just games, whether you make 40$million in guaranteed contracts, or lose 25$ at a smash tourney. Age doesn't matter.

QUIVO

Smash Master
It doesn't matter if me beating him has anything to do with the OP. I would still beat him.

In Ohio everyone's too old for this game. Everyone wants to just party now

Legan

Smash Lord
Maybe you guys should stop being ***s and start coming to St. Louis for melee tourneys. If you guys show up then well hostem. Not to mention we know how to party as well.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I still play Brawl.. but more casually.

Plus, I don't care about TL. Character is scrub + Kansas losing to him is wayyyy too funny. I feel bad for midwest: west. East side is so much better

QUIVO

Smash Master
it doesnt matter who i am. I told you, i don't play this game. The only people that would know me are in Ohio, and practically everyone quit hear

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
it doesnt matter who i am. I told you, i don't play this game. The only people that would know me are in Ohio, and practically everyone quit hear
El_Endangeroso or something like that..lol.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
We have to look at our selfes to improve and travel more but what could we argee is the best way to get more players? that wnt to be good.

Top Bottom