• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Midwest, we need to talk *READ 1st POST BEFORE REPLYING*

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Hunger for improvement isn't enough, not even close to enough, for players in the Midwest to get better. It starts with building a better Melee community, which everyone here can learn a thing or two about from other regions. That's our number one problem and has been ever since Pound 3. I'm hoping we can put together at least a couple representatives from each state who are willing to put in major effort to revitalize the Melee community in our respective states. Junglefever and I have already stepped up to run a series of interuniversity monthlies in East Lansing and Ann Arbor this semester. What are Illinois and Indiana doing to keep up? I know Chicago has taken a huge hit thanks to the loss of the Vro Zone, and Indiana is pretty consistent with the Purdue tourneys, but it's going to take a collective effort for the Midwest to come together and truly get the ball rolling again for the competitive Melee scene.

Put me down for playing to improve, but more importantly, put me down as a community figure who is willing to do whatever it takes to grow the Melee community in Michigan and help others do the same in the sparse Midwest.

Kels88

Smash Lord
lmao good luck MW:):):) I wish you all the best of luck.
Edit:
And for the record, when i first started melee i didn't even know what wavedashing was. lol i went to a smashing ground tournament and got wrecked. All the characters were moving too fast for me to keep up with. I really thought about quitting because i told myself that i would never be able to reach the level these people were on. It was like they weren't human because of the speed they were moving their hands.

After they tournament i watched a ton of youtube videos and Zjiin started hosting weekly smashfests that consistently brought the best in the MW(Tink, Eddie, Cunning, Pete Chen, Big C, and more). It was amazing to play these people and pick up things little by little. I still didn't feel like i was getting much better though. Even though my friends said i was improving, i was still getting wrecked by these guys.

Then i went to Evo2007. This is where I first beat Eddie in a match and it was in front of Ken!!! Then i played Ken and was doing ok til he started chaingrabbing me lol. This tourney really opened my eyes to a whole new level of Smash. I got to see PC, Hugs, Manga, M2K, Ken, Chillin, Eddie, and a lot of other top players go at it.

After this i came back determined to take my game further and this place called the Cave started hosting tournaments every two weeks. My partner(Khepri) and I went to almost all of these and won none of them:( It was always Tink or Eddie winning them. nd i wouldn't even make it close to the finals. Towards the end of the times we had in the Cave i definitely felt that i had improved but was still no where near top in the MW.

Then i went to Pound 3. It was an amazing experience. I never saw so much talent in one place before. It was almost overwhelming. I got to watch silentwolf show off his tech skill and see the amazing finals set between Mango and M2K. I think this tournament was my turning point in smash. I came back and was a lot better. I could start giving some of the best MW players a little competition but it still wasn't enough. I still hadn't won a tournament.

The next big tourney i went to was E-52. Had an incredible time there and that was probably the best Venue ever. This was my first big tournament i did okay at. I got taken out my Darkrain in winners, and Rockcrock in losers. I didn't feel too bad about it. I also got to play M2K for the first time here and get 4-stocked over and over. kinda made me question if i was even good at the game.

I came back from that tournament and started getting closer to the cash. It felt like Every big tournament I went to shot my skill level up by a lot. My partner and i started placing better in teams and we started to feel like we were competition for the MW. We actually started to win teams tournaments before either of us one singles. we were really good. Then I went to one purdue tournament and took tink to the Final set in grand finals. lol this was the turning point. I got such a boost of confidence from this that i felt like if i pushed a little harder i would actually begin to beat him.

Smym 9 was next and i did well but lost to Cosmo and Matt R. I felt like i wasn't playing that well but no johns. lol I don't think i would have beat Dark Rain at that point anyway.

Then the MW circuit came along and i was pumped about it. I was sure i was ready at this point, but i knew i would have to play very well to place high in it.

The first tourney in the series was Jab 2. This was my first win in a big tourney. I wont lie... I got lucky a lot here. My set went Cosmo went down to the wire as the time ran out on us at corneria and i beat him by 4% lol. countered picked Eddie to FD and went sheik against his Marth third match because he tore my SA to shreds 2nd match. Then i somehow figured out how to beat Matt in the middle of losing a crucial match in Grand finals. The feeling of winning really inspired me to want to win more.

Next i think was one in Ohio which i didn't make it to. Then i went to PoE and won that one thanks to Matt sending Darkrain to losers and Sliq taking him out for me. lol my partner played falcon so i thought i knew how to beat him but Darkrain was on a whole other level and he kept constantly destroyed my Fox.

Then E-52 part 2 came around and i knew i had to place well here because points were worth like double. I ended up in 5th, losing to Darkrain and Mango. it wasn't that bad as the only ones who were above me were Mango, J-Man, Darkrain, and Chexr.

Then came the circuit finals @ SMYM10. So many good people were there. I had finally gotten to meet dope, who still owes me our 50 dollar $mm, drephen, Scar, and long list of other incredible players i've never played before. I needed to place high in order to claim 1st in circuit because Mango winning E-52 and knowing he was going to win this one was going to put his points though the roof, as they were both worth more than the regular circuit events. This is where i think i've ever played at my best. I had to fight someone(not really sure who it was) but after that was like hell. Had to fight Cosmo then Darkrain. lol i was determined to beat him but he ended up winning and sent me to losers. I had to make it past drephen to secure 1st place and last time we had played he utterly annihilated me. But first up was Dope. I ended up beating him, Drephen, Tink, and finally Darkrain for the first time, before being eliminated by M2K. Only Mango, J-man, and M2k placed higher than me there. I really felt proud of my performance.

lol i'm tired and i'm going to sleep. I don't feel like typin anymore.

Chexr

Smash Ace
What a load of ****. The reason the midwest is a worse region than the coasts is not because of a lack of effort. There's a reason we're worse and it's because our good players are more spread out and we don't get much practice against each other. Playing people of very different skill levels wont help you improve much. You need someone on your level to get better and there's such a small pool of players its very difficult to find people who will really help and make you a better player. The average skill level here will always be worse because their region allows them to get more practice against more players easier and more often.

Knowing that we're so far behind isn't going to do anything and we're not even THAT far behind just because Tink only 1 stocked you in one set really isn't any proof at all (sample size). Setting a goal or pledging to do better is stupid because it isn't specific. Host a big tourney if you really want to the community to get better not post a big wall of nothing which wastes everyones time.

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
What a load of ****. The reason the midwest is a worse region than the coasts is not because of a lack of effort. There's a reason we're worse and it's because our good players are more spread out and we don't get much practice against each other. Playing people of very different skill levels wont help you improve much. You need someone on your level to get better and there's such a small pool of players its very difficult to find people who will really help and make you a better player. The average skill level here will always be worse because their region allows them to get more practice against more players easier and more often.

Knowing that we're so far behind isn't going to do anything and we're not even THAT far behind just because Tink only 1 stocked you in one set really isn't any proof at all (sample size). Setting a goal or pledging to do better is stupid because it isn't specific. Host a big tourney if you really want to the community to get better not post a big wall of nothing which wastes everyones time.
Perfect example of the kind of feedback that won't help anybody. I am perfectly fine with negative feedback, or people disagreeing with me. However, an immature post as this one is not even worth entertaining.

Let us continue.;)

Kels88

Smash Lord
If the lunch room is really free at CoD on the weekends, couldn't we have like a tournament every two weeks there if it consistently got good attendance?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^yes. I will definitely host them, too, if you, tink, and all the other people show up to them all. remember that one tournament were only 8 people showed? LOL

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion

This^

And this pretty much applies to any game as far as the midwest is concerned. Sorry but this wall of text was almost irritating to read and not needed in the tourney section. Seriously I know people are wanting to share their smash stories now, but this thread kinda just makes me facepalm.

Perfect example of the kind of feedback that won't help anybody. I am perfectly fine with negative feedback, or people disagreeing with me. However, an immature post as this one is not even worth entertaining.

Let us continue.;)
And posting this enlightening judgment of the midwest's skill level somehow helps more? Sorry but Chexr is right. Not even going to bother with this thread.

We are the best at johning!!

Seriously tho, solid post.

ALSO: Sign me up. I might as well learn this game then john all day and play bad characters.
Jay, Blake totally wants to smack you right now lmao. <3

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
LOL

So you think this thread is about my smash story? And you think my response to Chexr is a judgement of the midwest's skill level?

...boy are you lost

/edit @Kels: I enjoyed your post. I like seeing how you've increased your performance over time. good stuff!
That is nothing like what I was trying to say. Do not make silly assumptions just because you missed the point of my post. I was referring to your opening post, seems you were the one a little lost there.

People sharing their smash stories just happens to be whats going on right now.

Little England

Smash Master
That is nothing like what I was trying to say. Do not make silly assumptions just because you missed the point of my post. I was referring to your opening post, seems you were the one a little lost there.

People sharing their smash stories just happens to be whats going on right now.
Well thank you for clarifying. Communication becomes so much easier wouldn't you say? XD

To all those lost on the purpose of the original post, allow me to reiterate. It is NOT about the active steps of what it takes to strengthen Mw smash (ie. Hosting a big tournament). This thread is about identifying a goal and the mentality of playing to improve.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i think all of this mindset/power rankings stuff needs to take a backseat to the fact that we dont have any tournaments. i know youre saying this isnt about that, but half of the good players in the mw dont even get to play regularly, how are they supposed to implement a different attitude

we tried power rankings once, all it does is make people cry because we dont have opportunity to measure everybody up against everybody else like smaller regions such as socal do. who can possibly say who is better between bigr and chexr? 4% and mattr? even kels/drephen is disputable so long as drephen doesnt completely quit.

little england, i dont know for sure because ive never seen you at any tournaments, but what makes you think you are definitively one of the best falcos in the mw? no offense to purdue, but their skill level isnt particularly high, even among the mw. getting one stocked by tink twice is something tons of people do all the time against tinks sandbagging ***. if you have some other solid evidence, then i'll give it to you, but for now it seems like youre just blatantly biased against mw skill level. viperboy, bigr, moose, myself, probably shaeden, mattr, kirkq probably, and then maybe some more i'm forgetting, could all play falco well enough to go more or less even with tinks marth. no hating, just saying that ive never seen you around and youre more or less insulting us even beyond what we deserve.

edit: forgot andale, cause i've never played him. not to mention secks isnt too bad last i saw either

Moooose

Smash Champion
i'm actually 2-0 with his marth and 1-0 with his fox
too bad i get ****ed up by his and kels' falco T_T
anyways i dont think the main point of this thread is that midwest sucks. it's to address one of the many problems of living in the midwest, which is the generally lower levels of motivation. yes, lack of tournaments and distance are a problem as well, but it doesnt hurt to try harder. also i don't think you need people at your skill level to improve. as long as you play against people who can punish your mistakes, and as long as you're not 4 stocking them every time, there's still room to improve.

i think dr peepee is a good example of what i'm talking about. he became the best falco in the nation in a state with a mediocre smash scene.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
he got 9th at a purdue tournament, losing to goosefactor and tink from what i could tell

he has videos of himself losing, judge for youself

Kels88

Smash Lord
i'm actually 2-0 with his marth and 1-0 with his fox
too bad i get ****ed up by his and kels' falco T_T
anyways i dont think the main point of this thread is that midwest sucks. it's to address one of the many problems of living in the midwest, which is the generally lower levels of motivation. yes, lack of tournaments and distance are a problem as well, but it doesnt hurt to try harder. also i don't think you need people at your skill level to improve. as long as you play against people who can punish your mistakes, and as long as you're not 4 stocking them every time, there's still room to improve.

i think dr peepee is a good example of what i'm talking about. he became the best falco in the nation in a state with a mediocre smash scene.
2nd best. lol mango has to have #1 spot.

And um. I'm best Falco in MW:):):)

Mars-

Smash Champion
i think all of this mindset/power rankings stuff needs to take a backseat to the fact that we dont have any tournaments. i know youre saying this isnt about that, but half of the good players in the mw dont even get to play regularly, how are they supposed to implement a different attitude

we tried power rankings once, all it does is make people cry because we dont have opportunity to measure everybody up against everybody else like smaller regions such as socal do. who can possibly say who is better between bigr and chexr? 4% and mattr? even kels/drephen is disputable so long as drephen doesnt completely quit.

little england, i dont know for sure because ive never seen you at any tournaments, but what makes you think you are definitively one of the best falcos in the mw? no offense to purdue, but their skill level isnt particularly high, even among the mw. getting one stocked by tink twice is something tons of people do all the time against tinks sandbagging ***. if you have some other solid evidence, then i'll give it to you, but for now it seems like youre just blatantly biased against mw skill level. viperboy, bigr, moose, myself, probably shaeden, mattr, kirkq probably, and then maybe some more i'm forgetting, could all play falco well enough to go more or less even with tinks marth. no hating, just saying that ive never seen you around and youre more or less insulting us even beyond what we deserve.

edit: forgot andale, cause i've never played him. not to mention secks isnt too bad last i saw either
True story

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
Distance johns are fake. Canada has some amazing players(KK, IB, Blunted, Kage, Raynex, Diakanos, Unknown) for having a pretty small and very spread out community. Dr. PP is a good example too. MW just loves to john the most and has the poorest attitude.

One thing that needs to happen is more MW people need to go to nationals. This is where we can rep the midwest and where the greatest skill improvements are made.

Also alot more tournaments needs to happen. Simple as that.

Moooose

Smash Champion
sept 25th has a purdue tournament, an ohio tournament, and a michigan tournament all happening.
michigan has a series of monthly tournaments planned throughout the first semester, alternating between msu and u of m, and we would love for oos'ers to come and **** us ;)

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
distance johns arent too fake microwave

its not just distance, but amount of players. i would drive 6 hours to a 60 person tournament, but the only tournaments have like 20. plus nowadays, i'd have to drive solo to get anywhere. there are hardly any players in my own town, and besides juke, i can consistently beat the rest of them without using L, R, or Z. i need to travel to tournaments to get a variety of challenge, but there are hardly any tournaments to travel to, and as a result i drive 5 hours to michigan to find a 16 man tournament then say "well i'm not doing that again"

nationals dont help nearly as much as consistent, frequent challenges

Mars-

Smash Champion
distance johns arent too fake microwave

its not just distance, but amount of players. i would drive 6 hours to a 60 person tournament, but the only tournaments have like 20. plus nowadays, i'd have to drive solo to get anywhere. there are hardly any players in my own town, and besides juke, i can consistently beat the rest of them without using L, R, or Z. i need to travel to tournaments to get a variety of challenge, but there are hardly any tournaments to travel to, and as a result i drive 5 hours to michigan to find a 16 man tournament then say "well i'm not doing that again"

nationals dont help nearly as much as consistent, frequent challenges
If there were weekly or biweeklies at CoD would you go? Even if sveet doesn't want to host them every week I'm sure other people would be willing to step up and host them. The only problem is that the last couple of CoD tournys have had like 10 people come to them.

Chexr

Smash Ace
Perfect example of the kind of feedback that won't help anybody. However, an immature post as this one is not even worth entertaining.
Someone is not keeping it real. The midwest does one thing better than everyone else and that's keeping it real.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Something I was told by vro once (i think it was vro... i imagine every smash proverb i've heard comes from vro), "KDJ got good from beating noobs".

Do it. No johns.

Btw, BigD, you've once again proven you're MW's biggest downer. Chicago has a THRIVING scene and everybody in IL and IN are stepping it up and traveling a lot more than they used to. How about you get out here for some tournaments instead of johning for the MW on the boards.

MW HAS NO JOHNS FROM NOW ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only problem is that the last couple of CoD tournys have had like 10 people come to them.
not true. the two smallest i've ever hosted were 8 and 13. Both were last fall iirc. The last one I hosted had 28 people from WI, IL and IN

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
From what I've gathered from the first post, you're reiteration doesn't come across the way you just put it. To me it sounded like an outsider who doesn't quite understand how competitive games seem to play themselves out, which is surprising considering you come from one of the central hubs of all of competitive fighters.

Chexr is right. The midwest is at the level it is by not the lack of trying amongst ourselves and no kind of plan outside of playing top-notch competition consistently is going to change that. Look at any fighter ever made. The coasts always dominate, why? Because they have a lot of strong players in close proximity that hold consistent tournaments with good turnouts and multiple majors. The midwest pretty much has none of that for any game.

Take Iowa as a microcosm. Our best players seem to be at a bit of ceiling right now. They can't improve because it's hard for us to travel out of state all the time to face the comp. We can play each other all we want, but it won't help nearly as much as playing the best there is. We as region just don't have the luxury. That's the reality.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Distance johns are legit, our top players to get to play much.

Come up to Chicago sometime little england, i'll 2 or 3 stock you real quick and let you know where u stand in this corn region. I don't think you have any idea of where midwest skill level is, but for the most part when we are all playing our skill level isn't very far behind. We have beaten many OOS players, SS wouldn't win here im sorry, that much i can tell you. Darkrain didn't even win here on a consistent basis. Midwest has always had problems with elite level space animal players to be honest, our top space animals always seem to get wrecked in dittos. Thinking about our top players, they have beaten more than enough OOS people. Kels, Tink, Drephen, Cunning, Darkrain (he was midwest for forever,) have matched up fairly well with the Nation's elite. **** even my nub *** has beaten/had close *** sets with players such as Forward, Rock Crock, Jman, Chillin... etc and im not that good at this game. I mean your boy Lovage barely beat me at pound.... i was actually up 3 to one stock on him in the 3rd game of our set and choked it up a notch. Once again, Im not as good as some of the other top players in our region but even i have done well against OOS players (i know id give SS a run for his money if i was practicing on a normal basis.) So if I do well then our elite players are not far behind the other regions... they just dont get to play against eachother enough to gain better in-game experience. Distance/lack of tourney johnz are legit. It doesnt help that a lot of us are getting old :/ and don't play as much either....

Honestly tho..... I havn't given two **** about this game since smym 11.... my attitude towards the game have taken a turn for the worse. If someone hosts a smashfest where we can drink a couple beers.... i might be down for that.

dont hate my rant grammar :)

Dart!

Smash Master
Something I was told by vro once (i think it was vro... i imagine every smash proverb i've heard comes from vro), "KDJ got good from beating noobs".

Do it. No johns.

Btw, BigD, you've once again proven you're MW's biggest downer. Chicago has a THRIVING scene and everybody in IL and IN are stepping it up and traveling a lot more than they used to. How about you get out here for some tournaments instead of johning for the MW on the boards.

MW HAS NO JOHNS FROM NOW ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not true. the two smallest i've ever hosted were 8 and 13. Both were last fall iirc. The last one I hosted had 28 people from WI, IL and IN
oh boy, here comes the drama...didn't you john out of APEX and SSBO?

:p *grabs popcorn and seat*

Little England

Smash Master
LOL Trail is awesome. I most certainly hope I get ***** when I go to a chicago tournament.

BigD I would hope that you understand that insulting the midwest's skill was not my intention at all. I'm sorry if you perceived it that way. My basis for saying that I was "probably" one of the best falcos was purely based off of comparisons of videos, friendlies, and the words of a few respectable midwest smashers (who should remain unnamed).

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
get out of here macman. whot he hell is mark benford anyway?

Also, MW TO's shoudl coordinate better. As moose pointed out, theres three melee tourneys on the 25th?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Are there? I only knew about purdue's. When i made my tournament thread, i checked all the melee tagged threads and didnt see any 25th ones and purdue didn't tell me they were hosting a tournament that day until after i made it. Wheres the third tournament?

Also, just to say this now, Im hosting my tournament on the 16th next month.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
its not just distance, but amount of players. i would drive 6 hours to a 60 person tournament, but the only tournaments have like 20. [...] i drive 5 hours to michigan to find a 16 man tournament then say "well i'm not doing that again"
unfortunately when enough people think like this, it just reinforces the problem. I think where it comes from is that players expect low turnout, and don't want to play/lose to the same people, so they stop traveling. Nowadays the only way to get a state to show up is with OoS interest. The only way to get OoS interest is with region-wide interest. The only way to spark region-wide interest is with OoR interest. But we can't get OoR interest without big tournaments. So nobody goes. It's a catch 22.

Wisconsin was a huge victim of this and as a result all of our TO's stopped hosting out of frustration, and now our scene has dwindled to a dozen players max, half of which dare to go 30 minutes over the border for tournaments.

It's a problem with the entire community, and a handful of people individually pledging "goals to improve" wont amount to anything in terms of the scene. We would still fall victim to the vicious circle of people dropping out of tournaments in fear of low turnouts. I'd bet good money that if I hosted a tourney up in Oshkosh half the people who have, or eventually will, sign this thread would not show up. We need something else to ensure the entire community will want to attend, and then big tournaments will come naturally.

Dart!

Smash Master
My melee career actually started through brawl...

October of 08: i went to a nooby gamestore brawl tournament that my crewmate/at the time rival GooeyBanana (David Blackford) told me about. I came in expecting to get ***** and actually won without a remote challenge from anyone. Gooey Asked me to come to the melee tourney the next day and i thought "OMG people still play? i've been so bored because all my friends don't really like melee because brawl's out"

I show up for melee, and i felt pretty confident from the win yesterday that this tourney should be a breeze too ^_^; boy was i wrong. I picked marth because when i sat down and watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE and i loved how marth's dair sent people flying straight down to their doom. (yes, i've played marth since the beginning) i make it to semifinals and i run into guess who, gooeybanana. we shake hands and he then proceeds to **** the balls off of me. I feel humiliated and hungry to become better.

After the tourney, he tells me he has a friend who plays fox and moves 100x times faster than he or i could possibly imagine. His name is BlackPanther (Rashad Hill) and he's super ****ing technical. I'm overjoyed, "someone better than Dave? I gotta see this" Rashad and i meet up at his place in Peoria and we sit down and play a few friendlies. He's just running circles around me...So fast in fact that he SD's at least 3 times per match and still ***** me. I'm still ecstatic that others enjoy playing this game the way i do.

So we continue to play, BlackPanther continues to **** bricks on us as we start to improve little by little, he informs us of a huge tourney where >100 people show up to win money and show people how good they are. we train and train...but we still hadn't figured out our ride situation. 3 days before the tournament we get into contact with a guy named Tomacawk (Luke Woodyard) he says "yo you guys seem cool and you're hella closer than just about anybody else to us, we should meet up" He also informs us of a player named Ripple (Blake Curry) who is super rich and super awesome and he plays roy! what the hell? He may be able to give us a ride, thankfully he agreed.

He drove about 3 hours out of the way to pick us up and drop us off. We go to the tourney, dave and myself get utterly obliterated in pools. I met sveet (Joe Fortman) in my pool and was happy because he teamed with BlackPanther so i wanted to see how i stacked up. I won game one and couldn't believe it. the feeling was like nothing ever. friendlies couldn't hold a candle to it. Well he ends up whooping my *** game two CGing me in marth dittos and i switch to falco and CP Dreamland. I SD my last two stocks and proceed to get 0-2ed by IHaveSpaceBalls among other people i don't know. I also met NesNoob (rest in peace Ryan <3) and he destroyed me, he said that i was actually decent for being a total noob at my first tourney, that's when we agreed to play again at the next tourney we're both at to see if i could win...sadly it would never be :/.

To be continued in another post as i'm sure you're all bored already >.>

Top Bottom