• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Attack Cancelled into Up-Smash

Squidster

Smash Ace
Turning Z to attack would affect my game cause I don't feel like changing my grab.

since i never shield with R, the ONLY difference that my controls make is that i can boost smash.
There is no real reason why you shouldn't do this unless you like to shield with both triggers ._. (a habit that could be broken very quickly anyways)

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
One time I was Sheik and I did a USmash without hitting A and my Z was on Grab... is this normal? I did it more than once, so I'm assuming it is, but I don't know why it happens.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I just put a half hour into attempting this. It certainly is hard to do. I can do it but not on command like I can do with Snake. I had to change around my controls a bit. I made it so that "R" was my attack button, "Z" is now shield. Only reason I threw shield on "Z" is so I can still have a shield button on the right side until I can get used to just having it on the left.

Changing the controls helped immensely.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I just put a half hour into attempting this. It certainly is hard to do. I can do it but not on command like I can do with Snake. I had to change around my controls a bit. I made it so that "R" was my attack button, "Z" is now shield. Only reason I threw shield on "Z" is so I can still have a shield button on the right side until I can get used to just having it on the left.

I can do it consistently now, its been a month.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone, i'm new here, new to SSBB (finally came out in the UK) but not to the series altogether =)

Anyways I have some advice for ppl stuggling with this tech, personally I found it easier to smash up A instead of up Z like for most other dash cancel smashes.
also to be very aware of pressing up A at the same time. I can now do it 90% of the time at will

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i learned it with jiggs, but when i tried it with sheik, i found i can ONLY get it to work when z is set to attack (or, if you're really against changing z from grab, it's also fairly easy with R or L set to attack. just know that instead of z, you're pressing R or L, :p).

once i changed this, it became UBER easy with jigglypuff, and moderate with sheik (sometimes i can even chain THREE in a row in training)

if you play with the wii remote + nunchuk for a while, you get extremely used to shielding on the left. i can't even shield on the right anymore, lol XD. but anyway, it has "immensely" improved my gcn controller play.

help with timing: it seem to work best when i very deliberately roll the control stick upwards rather than rush it.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
I am able to do it now too, relatively consistently. I can do it with Snake with the default configuration, but that is of course a little awkward/painful :p ... I needed to switch R to Attack when I use Sheik to even be able to get it at all. I am all right now.

Just a little helpful hint for anyone who is still struggling:
It may seem obvious for some of you, but if you are doing the [Boosted/DACUS] UpSmash, and it looks the same as though you just do the normal "Dash+USmash" (by tilting the Cstick up when running), then you are hitting your attack button + Up too early.
That helped me so much with sheik, especially since I tended to lean towards the early side rather than the late. When I would Dash + DownC + Up/Attack when I first started, it would look the same as if I just "Dashed" and hit UpC. Then I waited a verrry little bit longer, and then I saw Sheik fly across the floor on FD and said "Yeah, I think I got it that time."

Hope it helped! :D

ADHD

Smash Hero
Does the DACUS work for every character though? No, right? Just making sure...
No, just jiggz, sheik, wario, link, (i've heard toon link but I think thats a lie), lol meta can but the voices just overlap, wolf, falco, and snake.

We all know sheik's is the best though...

sToRm07

Smash Cadet
Yay i did it finally. It took me about 30 tries but i did it. I set L (or R which ever you dont sheild with) to attack. Then almost at the same time flick c stick down (a tiny bit before) you press L and up to do your Usmash.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
I played against a Snake online... and all he did was DACUS... like a million times. Totallyy spamming, but I couldn't stop it! It was insane... I hope that doesn't start coming up often. >.<

ADHD

Smash Hero
I played against a Snake online... and all he did was DACUS... like a million times. Totallyy spamming, but I couldn't stop it! It was insane... I hope that doesn't start coming up often. >.<
Just spam needles and he'll fly right into them.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
Firstly, also makng sure to let go of the C-stick as soon as you up-smash makes it alot more reliable

Secondly, what factors determine how far you slide, thankfully its always gone long when i need it to but when practicing sometimes the distance alot shorter than it could be.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
It can be done with Z, I know that. It's just really really hard.

I remember when I played Sheik for fun with some friends and while their damage was up i couldn't kill. I say out loud "How the hell do I kill with Sheik now?"

Someone says "Up Smash is her best killer. Try that dash Up smash thing."

I didn't realize they meant hyphen smash, and just sorta instinctively did the DAC Slid across the stage and killed immeaditly. The next thing I heard was "Whoa."

It felt good.

It's too bad I could never do this against real oppenants. :(

Moral of the Story: DAC Usmash kills with Sheik are sexy. **** sexy.

Squidster

Smash Ace
DACUS may be the best approach ever. I've done it 5 or 6 times on a row going back and forth through my opponent who eventually jump and runs away cause their shield is about to break or they just get hit for 30% dmg.

Once you get it down, its rather fantastic.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I can do falco's reliably on contact with dash -> cstick down -> cstick up.

Sheik's can be done without contact, right?

Squidster

Smash Ace
Sheik's MUST be done without contact.

Its so fast the DA hitbox doesn't show up.

Snake's does show up so he can dash attack -> slide -> *mortar/face.*

ADHD

Smash Hero
I don't care what anyone says, this is definitely useful. You can link it from a bthrow, or fthrow, or basically anything that sends them into the proper distance (which is often).

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
I don't care what anyone says, this is definitely useful. You can link it from a bthrow, or fthrow, or basically anything that sends them into the proper distance (which is often).
Agreed. Certainly.

This is useful even outside the sense of combos. It's great just to get that final hit that your opponent is forever guarding from.

Definitely very useful.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I do something similar in terms of the motion. I use C-Stick right instead of down though, easier on my fingers.

The use of DACUS is amazing. It's definitely a must for any good Sheik player. It's very surprising as Sheik's DACUS moves hella fast and travels just as long as Snake's snakedash. Even better is that, given the right distance, the Dacus can't be punished easily. The hit(s) will connect and you'll continue sliding out of grab range. Not to mention, a double-hit Up-Smash rips through shields.

It has the enemy fearing it whether their grounded or in the air @___@ Grounded = chance for two hits / shield pressure. Air = chance for the VICIOUS tipper for the easy KO XD

I can't wait to get my DACUS to about 90% success. So far its around... 60%.

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
Lol i got this with snake first then link, i couldnt get it very fast on wario so i switched to shiek and got it on my FIRST try (by luck, i kindve just smashed the buttons), but then i couldnt repeat it and still cant.

swypa101

Smash Apprentice
its easy w/ shiek. all i do is dash or run and Usmash. w/ snake it took sum time to get it but i did

Swordplay

Smash Lord
you guys really are stuck huh...

I am from the link boards and we all play on modded controler setups to make it easier.

On the link boards, we discovered that for link diffrent timings of DAC produce diffrent DAC distances. Also if you use the grab button, (z) there are a few frames that will make you grab instead of DAC if you do it to late.

We discovered that this is a non-issue if you just make z attack instead of grab.

Right now I am using DAC with my R button as it is set to attack. Z and L as shield. I made X grab.

I definably recommend using an attack button with your index finger instead of a grab button as it really helps the timing down. this goes for all characters including shiek. It will take some getting use to but its a really surprising and good approach.

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
@Sw - Thats not a dacus thats just a moving up smash

@swordplay - thanks for the tip, i think ill switch R to my attack cuz i use L for everything.

@everyone - Anyone done this using the wii remote? is it possible?

Arigon

Smash Apprentice
Mastered this with shiek today i get it 80% of the time in an actual fight, 99% when practicing on my own.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Some uses:

Autocanceled fair to DACUS at high percent.

Bthrow and fthrow to DACUS punishes bad DI.

Out of a dash dance, pivot.

Be creative !

WULFN

Smash Apprentice
Some uses:

Autocanceled fair to DACUS at high percent.

Bthrow and fthrow to DACUS punishes bad DI.

Out of a dash dance, pivot.

Be creative !
First off, i LOVE your melee sig thingy :)

Second, I realy like your info man

I awitched Z to attack and I just tried last nigh and i can get it about 1/2 of the time in a real fight, gunna try switvhing R to attack thou

KSUkid

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking of just switching Y to attack since I just use X to jump anyway. I've pulled of a slow-speed with just A once by pure luck. That and they're close together so you can just roll between them.

Top Bottom