• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Attack Cancelled into Up-Smash

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
In answering another poster, this is DLX, and you CAN do it with every character. The thing is, it is not very useful for some characters, say Captain Falcon, who instead of sliding with usmash he stays in place when using DLX and scores no additional hit like Snake, Wario, or Falco. And for most characters, this is extremely hard except for the three previously mentioned characters. Try training in 1/4 mode if you don't believe me.
You're wrong. THIS IS NOT NOT NOT DLX!

...this technique is done WITHOUT any prior hits being landed to the enemy. You do the move and slide across the board without hitting. Your own post aboves proves my point.

"he stays in one place when using DLX and scores no ADDITIONAL hit."

...there is no PRIMARY hit required for the dash cancelling Up-Smash technique, therefore its not the same.

Magus420

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure you can't do it with Sheik using Up+Grab (Z by default). You need to use Up+Attack (A button or set another button to Attack) to do the u-smash. Up+Grab works for others however.

I don't believe the Grab button switches from Grab to Attack quickly enough which Sheik's cancel requires (the Grab button temporarily acts like Attack after the c-stick input which is why you can get an u-smash by pressing Up+Grab). My best guess would be that there's a frame or two delay between after pressing the c-stick and when your grab button works as an attack button, and you need to have already cancelled it by then for Sheik.

If you do the correct timing for Sheik's using Up+Grab you get a boost grab/dash attack cancelled grab because it's still working as a grab button and not as attack yet.

Either set Z/L/R to attack or have your finger ontop of the A button so you can hit it instantly after c-down with your thumb.

After trying for a while and not getting it ONCE by using Up+Grab (Z in my case) and getting boost grabs instead everytime, I tried with Up+A and immediately could get the full distance almost consistently. I would only really mess up by tapping up too soon and get a d-air because I have tap jump on. If it were off I would probably be able to do it pretty much everytime.

Basically: For Sheik you should use Up+Attack to do the u-smash not Up+Grab.

2DLogic

Smash Cadet
Magus, I believe you may be right.
After having been able to do this consistently with most characters except Shiek, like you I'd always get the boosted grab, I chalked it up to poor timing on my part and forgot about it. After trying it with up+A I was able to do it consistently within a couple tries; honestly the timing isn't that much more strict than some of the rest of the cast.
Appreciate the tip. :)
the hell is a DLX?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3872453#post3872453
It's canceling a dash attack into an u-smash on impact, hitting their shield works too. Essentially it's just a "gattling" or "chain" combo, if you've ever played Guilty Gear or Street Fighter that should be familiar, or using IASA frames which are dependent on making impact with an opponent.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure you can't do it with Sheik using Up+Grab (Z by default). You need to use Up+Attack (A button or set another button to Attack) to do the u-smash. Up+Grab works for others however.

I don't believe the Grab button switches from Grab to Attack quickly enough which Sheik's cancel requires (the Grab button temporarily acts like Attack after the c-stick input which is why you can get an u-smash by pressing Up+Grab). My best guess would be that there's a frame or two delay between after pressing the c-stick and when your grab button works as an attack button, and you need to have already cancelled it by then for Sheik.

If you do the correct timing for Sheik's using Up+Grab you get a boost grab/dash attack cancelled grab because it's still working as a grab button and not as attack yet.

Either set Z/L/R to attack or have your finger ontop of the A button so you can hit it instantly after c-down with your thumb.

After trying for a while and not getting it ONCE by using Up+Grab (Z in my case) and getting boost grabs instead everytime, I tried with Up+A and immediately could get the full distance almost consistently. I would only really mess up by tapping up too soon and get a d-air because I have tap jump on. If it were off I would probably be able to do it pretty much everytime.

Basically: For Sheik you should use Up+Attack to do the u-smash not Up+Grab.

YES! YES! YES!

...You are absolutely right. After like 2 days of not being able to get this, I set my toggle to On and my R-button as 'A' and did the technique, using Dash C-stick down, Up+R and I got it on my third try.

I went on to be able to do this about once every four tries. THIS WAY WORKS! Thank you SOOOOO much Magus! with your advice I was finally able to get it, and now I can start practicing to get it at least 1/2 the time and incorporate it into my play as a surprise attack!

...as said in the post above, the timing isn't all that hard at all once you get used to it. It's DEFINITELY DEFINITELY much easier then Up+Z considering i never once got Up and Z to work and I got Up+R (set to A) to work in like 20 seconds. So psyched I can finally do it!

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this thread is absolutely rediculous.
I never even heard of this and I did it on my second try, and I can do it consistently now.

Lol you guys were all just pressing the wrong button the whole time?
Sorry but that is funny.

2DLogic

Smash Cadet
Calm down. They, we, whatever were trying it the way that it was originally described, and the way that works for most every other character in the game. Assuming the maker of the original video had his control settings altered there was never any mention of it that I saw.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this thread is absolutely rediculous.
I never even heard of this and I did it on my second try, and I can do it consistently now.

Lol you guys were all just pressing the wrong button the whole time?
Sorry but that is funny.
Calm down. They, we, whatever were trying it the way that it was originally described, and the way that works for most every other character in the game. Assuming the maker of the original video had his control settings altered there was never any mention of it that I saw.
...Exactly Logic.

Originally, we had to practice this and learn it from watching a single video which was originally done in japanese. It may have very well explained in one of the notes that his controller was set a certain way, but we had no way of knowing. The fact that you were able to just hear about this and do it on your second try is a testament to the EFFECTIVENESS of this thread.

Sheik just happened to be a bit trickier with the settings then the video had shown us.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
I dunno about 'Official' , but what I can say from personal experience is that in all of time that I spent trying to do this with the z-button, I never once pulled off the technique.

...after changing the R-button to function as the A-button, I pulled the technique off within seconds and was able to do it many times after that. I guess you could call it personal preference/ability, but from my perspective, setting R to A will get the job done for you and allow you to pull off the technique more often.

Ghost Slime

Smash Cadet
There's an easier and faster way to pull this off, I believe. Although, you have to get used to the Wii Remote + Nunchuck control style.

First, change the controller configuration of the Wii remote to "Shake Smash". Shake Smash allows any smash attack to be performed by the shake of the Wii remote. The two easiest smashes to perform are the Down Smash, and Up Smash. The cool thing about this is that when you're cancelling into an Up-Smash with Sheik (Or someone else), your fingers don't have to be nearly as fast. Some of you probably already know this, but to do an Up-Smash with the Wii remote + Nunchuck (With Shake Smash, that is), all you do is pull the controller towards you a tiny bit. Try it, it's faster, for any character with an Up-Smash cancel thingy.

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
Sorry guys. I should've put the part in bold where I said I use Z for Attack in my guide. Mah bad.

I'm stoked that more people have been able to figure it out now, though. It's definitely a great feeling when you can finally do it consistently :)

Jok3r

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it's so much easier when you put the A button as R or L. It works wonderfull for me :)

ADHD

Smash Hero
Yeah it's so much easier when you put the A button as R or L. It works wonderfull for me :)
And sacrifice every A move?

So can someone help me? How would I do this if I have the L and X buttons for grabs? Explain in noobish detail!

Nymphetamine

Smash Apprentice
i can do it with link almost every time, but sheik is my 2nd and i have yet to do it with her any tips i should know?

Jok3r

Smash Apprentice
And sacrifice every A move?

So can someone help me? How would I do this if I have the L and X buttons for grabs? Explain in noobish detail!
YOu don't have to sacrifice A You can leave it the same Just change the L or R which ever you use least. I don't use R for sheild so i changed that.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
i can do it with link almost every time, but sheik is my 2nd and i have yet to do it with her any tips i should know?
Check out page 3 - Magus' post explains how you should be setting up your R or L button to be used as an 'Attack' , make sure your tap jump is set to on , then Dash - followed by an IMMEDIATE Down C-stick, Up+R.

...Link is one of the easier characters to do it with, so learning to do it with Sheik will be pretty hard, since the execution has to be VERY fast. Practice makes perfect though. I wasn't able to do it before Page 3 of this thread, and now I can do it about 40% of the time.

Villi

Smash Lord
Check out page 3 - Magus' post explains how you should be setting up your R or L button to be used as an 'Attack' , make sure your tap jump is set to on , then Dash - followed by an IMMEDIATE Down C-stick, Up+R.
When you say "on," do you mean "off"? lol I wonder how useful this technique is if you have to turn off tap jump to utilize it, not to mention having to change your sheild to attack. By turning off tap jump, I was able to do this with the A button by contorting my fingers in a completly unplayable fashion. Would changing your control settings be allowed in a tournament setting? I'm not sure.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
When you say "on," do you mean "off"? lol I wonder how useful this technique is if you have to turn off tap jump to utilize it, not to mention having to change your sheild to attack. By turning off tap jump, I was able to do this with the A button by contorting my fingers in a completly unplayable fashion. Would changing your control settings be allowed in a tournament setting? I'm not sure.

He means turn Tap Jump on as in, pressing up to jump.

Actually you can do it with Tap Jump off.

Also, for anyone having trouble, you can't do it by pressing "Up + Grab". You need to press "Up + Attack".

So either change your Right or Z button(whichever you want to use for the technique) to attack, then do try the technique again.

It can't be done with grab, it can only be done by press up + attack, not up + grab.

Sheik's is harder to pull off with Snake.

You have to tilt the C-stick down or sideways(to do a Dash Attack) and press R(or Z) + Up(on the movement stick) at "about" the same time.

The thing that makes it hard is that you have to tilt the "C-stick" first then(you have maybe 0.3-0.5 seconds to do this, compared to Snake's 0.5-1 second) press Up + R(or Z).

You can probably consistently pull it off if you practice enough, though it will take a lot longer than Snake's to master.

Note: When I say things like 0.3-0.5 seconds or 0.5-1 second, I mean "in that range". I am not a good person at timing things in tenths of a seconds so I don't really know the precise amount of time you can do it(maybe you can count the frames in 1/4 speed).

ADHD

Smash Hero
Okay, can someone post instructions? This is driving me nuts, everyone is saying different buttons and different things

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
Umm.. you CAN pull it off with grab, its just a lot more complicated and makes the timing a lot harder. I set my controls to z as attack and y as grab, (i use x for jump... i heard not many people do o..O) if you have tap jump off, its a lot easier as well, but with tap jump off you can't do vanishes from your shield or up smashes from the shield, soo... its a double edged sword as to whether or not you want these boost smashes more than the vanishes.

As i'm dashing, i press down on the c-stick with my right thumb (haha..) and simultaneously move the joystick from the right (or left) position to the up position while pressing z. I didn't think it was that hard :/

The problems with leaving jump tap on is that if you move the joystick up too fast before the c-stick, you'll end up doing a short hop dair; however, this never occurs with the jump tap off.
If you do press z and up too late, then you just do a regular dash attack *shrugs*

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I've been able to do a regular running upsmash using the inputs for the dash cancelled upsmash, however i can't get a long one, but ur saying (imdavid) that if i make Z my normal attack button i can pull this off????

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
I changed L to attack, and have tap jump off. i can get the long slide sometimes, but im far from getting it every time. i actually got it on my second try lol. its wayyy easier when you dont use your grab button.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I changed L to attack, and have tap jump off. i can get the long slide sometimes, but im far from getting it every time. i actually got it on my second try lol. its wayyy easier when you dont use your grab button.
Could you post the instructions of what you exactly did? To your controller and the actual dash attack canceled into a Usmash?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Could you post the instructions of what you exactly did? To your controller and the actual dash attack canceled into a Usmash?
this is how I have my standard controller set up

Tap jump = Off

R-Button = Attack

C-stick = Smash or attack or whatever standard C-stick stuff is.

...when I go to use the technique, I pretty much try to do it like I would a fast Wavedash, in that I hit each button almost at the same time, but in reality, one right after the other.

Process : I hit Forward (to start dash animation), then immediately C-stick Down , then Up+R.

It works for me about 60-75% in practice, and maybe like 40% when I actually try to use it in a fight.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
When you say "grab button," do you mean the Z button set to attack? Or do you actually mean the button you use for grab? Are you suggesting using the L or R buttons?

ADHD

Smash Hero
Thanks that really helps. Is this like the samus super wave dash? That kind of makes it really awesome for the people that get it lol.

Anyway I just recently got a wii and I'm not sure how to save the controls. When I set the controls I press save, then I go to training mode and its just back to normal? Wtf?

ADHD

Smash Hero
this is how I have my standard controller set up

Tap jump = Off

R-Button = Attack

C-stick = Smash or attack or whatever standard C-stick stuff is.

...when I go to use the technique, I pretty much try to do it like I would a fast Wavedash, in that I hit each button almost at the same time, but in reality, one right after the other.

Process : I hit Forward (to start dash animation), then immediately C-stick Down , then Up+R.

It works for me about 60-75% in practice, and maybe like 40% when I actually try to use it in a fight.
Sorry for double post, but umm... couldn't you just have L set to attack, and just dash use L and C stick up? Isn't a hell lot easier?

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
Umm if you mod your controller like how samurai panda shows in his newest vid, it'd probably be easier to use the l and r buttons for attack, (taking out the springs for l and r buttons), and for chrome prirate, when you just dash and press c stick up, you do a regular running up smash. for the dashed up smash, you press c stick down and then your up L (if you have l as your attack) and to the previous poster... yes, with the z or L & R buttons set to attack, its easier because the timing for moving your thumb on the c stick down and your fore finger is a lot easier.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Umm if you mod your controller like how samurai panda shows in his newest vid, it'd probably be easier to use the l and r buttons for attack, (taking out the springs for l and r buttons), and for chrome prirate, when you just dash and press c stick up, you do a regular running up smash. for the dashed up smash, you press c stick down and then your up L (if you have l as your attack) and to the previous poster... yes, with the z or L & R buttons set to attack, its easier because the timing for moving your thumb on the c stick down and your fore finger is a lot easier.
Wait, OK so I run, C-stick down, and C-stick up with L? Or just regular analog stick L:psycho:

Squidster

Smash Ace
Finally getting this down consistently

It looks so sweet.

This is a great suprise approach for someone trying to space correctly or charge a certain move (DK punch, needles, etc)

This makes shieks approach options plentiful!

1) SHAreal -> something
2) Spaced tilts
3) Dash attack or hyphen smash
4) Needles
5) Drephen combo? lul... Dsmash or Fsmash
6) BOOSTSMASH zomg

So many options =D

Top Bottom