• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Attack Cancelled into Up-Smash

Choppah

Smash Rookie
From my experience, Sheik's execution of a kara smash is a lot faster than other characters like Snake and Link. If you're using dash -> c-stick down -> up+z, just try it a little faster. I believe she has less frames to cancel her attack due to the properties of her dash attack.

DuB 22

Smash Cadet
Ha, I've given this about 30 minutes of work. Still unable to find the timing. The frame window you ahve to hit it in must be insanely small. Wish I could master this useful technique >.<

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
wow... this seems frickin hard to me :D
i managed to pull it off once with wario now.. (tried in 3 matches)
i´m guessing you have to Usmash right when you press downC? or is the timing diffrent?

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
From my experience, Sheik's execution of a kara smash is a lot faster than other characters like Snake and Link. If you're using dash -> c-stick down -> up+z, just try it a little faster. I believe she has less frames to cancel her attack due to the properties of her dash attack.
Can anyone explain how to do this in an exact manner?

...the opening to the video describes it, but parts of it are in japanese kanji which I can't read, and I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Alternatively, you could also point me to a discussion thread on this topic. My searches have yielded nothing, and this technique seems HUGE.

Thanks!

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
afaik
run-> cstick down (to perform dash attack) -> imidiatly usmash (doesnt matter how (c-stick/z/a but Z is best because you can press it while holding C-stick down)

i have NOT been able to do it consistently though, so dont rely on me :D
(and try with wario before trying with sheik :O)

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Soooo....harrrddddd....

Good God this is starting to Frustrate me.

- Doing this with Snake is the easiest thing ever.

- Likewise, with Link, not so hard.

- Wario take a little bit of practice, but after a few minutes, I could do it consistently with him.

...BUT WITH SHEIK! ...after an HOUR of trying this off and on for like 10-15 minutes at a time, I have yet to pull it off EVEN ONCE! NOT ONCE!

, I would like to personally find the maker of that video and ask him how in the HELL he is doing that, and how fast his fingers are moving. I really wish i could do this, because it seems like a reasonably useful move for at least a surprise attack, but I JUST CAN'T GET IT!

...very frustrating. Any one here able to do it? ...and if so, any tips?

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
i guess its all...
or just some
no idea :D
but there are alot that i know of... so i think everyone can do it, unlike the DLX (god i hate that name) cancel

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Well, if you look at the video, it shows different characters using the technique to varying success . I can't say for sure, but I think that it's something that only select characters can do WELL. It seems like this might be something that some characters can use to greater effect, whereas other characters can use it, but the glide doesn't go as far, and is a generally non-useful ability.

...but I haven't confirmed this for all characters, so I cannot say for certain. I have tried doing this with Ike and had no success, so if I had to make an educated guess, I'd say some characters just can't do it.

However, if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
i didnt think of it as DLX cancel because for DLX cancel you have to hit the opponent with the dash attack and you can do it longer than this cancel

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, you can still cancel dash attack into a grab, as well. Boost grabbing, from Melee.

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
I can do it with sheik fairly consistently (its hard as hell) but have not been able to get nearly the distance the sheik has in the video. Either the video is edited, or the japanese version has different mechanics...I did it like 4 times in a row and never got half the distance of that sheik...something is up...the first time sheik slides a really long way it seems like she changes color but maybe im just paranoid

If you are having trouble doing this just go to training mode and slow the speed down. See if you can get that crazy long distance because I certainly can't.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
why would the maker of the video fake that? it seems rather pointless Oo
maybe its all about timing... with squirtle hydroplane there are a lot of diffrent lengths depending on how good you hit the spot...

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
yeah but if u try it on 1/4 speed it's extremely easy to time...and I still haven't been able to...I'm just saying these are my results...I would love for someone to figure it out since it looks so badass in the video

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Are you sure you're not getting just the usual dash Up aerial distance that you can get with her. Without any cancels, when she starts her dash attack and immediately up-smashes, she still gets a decent inch and a half on the screen of movement.

...I've tried the slow mo...at like 1/4, it's still VERY difficult for me.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
yes...I have seen the video a hundred times, I've watched the part in slow-motion even more, and I STILL just can't get the timing for Sheik. It's possible my hands just aren't fast enough for this, but what I'm referring to in my previous post, is that you say you can do it consistently, but that it doesn't go anywhere near as far as it does in the video.

...perhaps if you were to qualitatively tell me how far you can get it to go, then I'd know whether or not you are doing the technique, or just using her dash to Up+Air by accident. (I say this not to insult you or cast disbelief, I simply remember that I once just dashed to an Up+B and thought I had accomplished the move, only to see that I just hadn't dash canceled properly and had just hit Up+A)

How far are you traveling when you do it?

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
slightly farther than when i just dash and up smash...

EDIT: If you can't do it in 1/4 speed you are probably trying to do it way too fast...at 1/4 speed it is snail speed...at this speed I am 100% positive i am cancelling the dash attack with the up-z smash...

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
I can land this move nearly every time. I hope I can help some of you figure it out, too.

I practiced for 2-FREAKING-HOURS to try doing this move consistently. I couldn't do it ONCE for the first 45 minutes. Once I was able to do it, I found I couldn't do it consistently since the timing was so small. Eventually, you have to train your hands for the timing: the window is just too small to be able to think about it as you're doing it.

***I HAVE TAP UP TO JUMP SET TO OFF ON MY CONTROLLER (Z is Attack, C-stick is Smash). IT'S SUPPOSEDLY PERFORMED DIFFERENTLY FOR TAP UP TO JUMP PEOPLE***

The gist of the technique is the following: Sheik accelerates greatly when she first dashes. By cancelling the dash animation, you are retaining her momentum in the direction she was accelerating but simply choosing to do an up-smash instead of the dash part. So, what is really happening?

You're dashing forward by moving the control stick to left or right.
You're hitting the C-stick DOWN to dash attack (even though it's set to Smash)
You're IMMEDIATELy cancelling that attack with an Up-Smash by smashing UP+Z.
Final result: You're UP SMASHING with Sheik's DASH ATTACK momentum.

Below are the various ways I've been able to perform the move. I find the easiest way to learn using this method is try charging the smash by holding the Z attack instead of tapping it. I also smash the C-stick down instead of flicking it down until I see the move come out. It seems to be SLIGHTLY more forgiving with the timing when you do this. Either that or it's just my imagination and it makes it easier to perform for me. Whatever works...

The Easiest Way (also the most unreliable)
According to what I stated earlier, you start off running then up-smashing. Most ways of performing this technique require very tight timing on the control-stick when switching the direction from left or right (the dash) to straight up (the smash). HOWEVER, I discovered that you can alleviate the need to even move the control stick during the cancel, although it is inconsistent (works sometimes, doesn't work other times). If nothing else, I say if you can't do the normal method yet for executing this tech, try starting with this:

Assuming we're doing this to our right...

Hold the control-stick to the Up AND Right to make Sheik Dash. It's tricky to actually start the dash sometimes doing this so it helps to move it more right than up (at least initially).
While holding that direction, press Down-C IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED by Z-attack The timing is so close on down-C and Z that it looks, feels, and sounds like you're doing them both at the same instant. If you're having trouble timing them, try pressing both at the same instant and you'll eventually get lucky and nail the timing.
PROS: This is the easiest way to do the tech. It's just holding one direction (UP-RIGHT) and pressing two buttons at roughly the same time.
CONS: Inconsistently starts the dash when going UP-Right sometimes. Sometimes no matter the timing you're holding the Control Stick too far to the right and she never goes into the up-smash. Still, if you're at wit's end with this tech, I recommend you try it this way before giving up to see if you can grasp the idea better.

Harder Way (more reliable)
Same buttons used but with one stipulation: we're saying, "screw the timing". We're going to be moving the CONTROL stick in two directions, and pressing two buttons. Let's do it.
Dash to the right. Simple. We're just holding the CONTROL stick to the right.
At the SAME INSTANT you press UP on the Control Stick, you're also pressing the C-stick Down and Z button at the SAME TIME.
This is unreliable because, as I stated before, the inputs are NOT supposed to be entered at the same time. This method assumes you can't trust yourself yet to nail the timing (since you haven't taught it to your hands yet) so you're just trying to see if you can get lucky. Once you get lucky, you can start dissecting what really happened. Did you put more emphasis on your C-stick down input or Z-button input? Did you press UP on the CONTROL stick just a half second later than the C-stick down? Did you kind of flick the c-stick or slam it? Did you go straight from RIGHT to UP on the CONTROL stick or did you kind of roll the controller inputs in that direction Street Fighter style? True, this isn't the most scientific method, but this was what I finally humbled myself to do after the first hour and it slowly (verrrrry slowly) worked. Remember: this technique isn't really taxing on your brain, but very taxing on your fingers. This method will teach the technique to your hands, even if your brain can't fully understand what your hands begin to discover. Hahaha. I can't think of a better way to explain this. Try it!

The Hardest, Correct Way (The most reliable):
NOTE: You already know how to do this. You've seen the video. You've read how it's performed. You just haven't been able to actually DO what you're being told to do. Your brain learned it but your fingers haven't. The following method is my brain's best attempt to rationalize what my hands and fingers are really doing. Interestingly, I find I can do this move just as easily while either running or standing still at the beginning.

Let's assume you're standing still and are doing the dash/cancel/smash to the right still.
The inputs will be only fractions of seconds apart, so to the average person it will look and sound like they're all performed at the same instant. The actual sequence is this:
Forward on CONTROL STICK, C-stick Down, UP on CONTROL STICK , Z attack
Because these inputs are entered so fast, by the time I'm pressing Forward, I'm already moving the C-stick towards down (a fraction of a second away from registering it). Because I'm so stretched for time, I'm ROLLING the Control Stick from Forward to UP, hitting every direction in between EXACTLY like a Street Fighter fireball. In the instant I'm doing this and it's rolling to UP, the C-stick down is being registered. As the CONTROL stick gets to almost 90 degrees (a split second after C-down), I'm pressing and holding Z (like I said, practice with holding Z since it's easier) so it registers at the same time the UP-Input comes in. If I was mid-run when I decided to do this move the inputs are the exact same except I'm holding Forward on the CONTROL stick longer before rolling it to UP.
The inputs have to be so fast that it looks, sounds, and feels like the buttons are all being pressed at the same time. Because the timing is so sensitive and windows are so miniscule, I would NOT be trying to use Sheik's movements as a guide when trying this since you will only go batty. I only watched Sheik to see if she did the move after every attempt.
The gist of this method is simple. Consider a keyboard with your fingers on the "A", "S", "D", "F" keys. Imagine that, starting from left to right, you roll your fingers from one to the next in such a way that each letter appears on-screen almost instantaneously after the next. That's what I mean by rolling. I sincerely believe the ONLY thing that makes this so ****ed tricky with Sheik is the C-stick: it's hard to determine at first just when that C-stick is really registering the down smash for the dash attack. My advice to you is this: Flick or Smash that C-stick. When I'm gentle with it I can never land the move.
If you're having trouble doing it this correct way, try pressing C-stick down the instant you press Forward then just UP-Smash right after that with Z. OR try pressing the C-stick down the instant you press the Z and UP and you might do it correctly that way. Both of these methods are technically incorrect but, as I've stated many times before, the timing is so tight that what seems instantaneous to you is not instantaneous to a computer system. If you can do the move the wrong way you're a step closer than someone who cannot do the move the right way. Just like a maze folks. Start at the end and work backwards if you get stuck ;)

I wish I had more help to give you guys or could upload a video of me consistently doing it to show you the timing (I don't even think that would help so much since it's so ****ed fast).

This took me 2 hours to be able to land consistently. Several days and I'm ALMOST never messing it up (in the heat of battle it's hard to reach that Korean-fingered zen and get the timing on this move every time).

It's a hard move guys. I hope you don't wind up with callouses on your Z finger and CONTROL stick thumbs like I did. Just remember: this move is no walk in the park, so don't get frustrated if it takes you a long time to figure it out. I've been playing fighting games since SFII, I have long and quick fingers (I type 140wpm), and I'm double-jointed in several places. It still took me 2 hours.

Good luck *salute*

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
well speed isn't the problem, i can average 160 apm pretty comfortably, and i can execute the move easily with every other character except sheik...and i can still do it with sheik, im just not getting the right distance....fartknocker, lets exchange friend codes and i want to see u do it with sheik and fly 3/4 of the distance of FD

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
I can do it with sheik fairly consistently (its hard as hell) but have not been able to get nearly the distance the sheik has in the video. Either the video is edited, or the japanese version has different mechanics...I did it like 4 times in a row and never got half the distance of that sheik...something is up...the first time sheik slides a really long way it seems like she changes color but maybe im just paranoid

If you are having trouble doing this just go to training mode and slow the speed down. See if you can get that crazy long distance because I certainly can't.
I wouldn't recommend going to 1/4 training mode. I tried this but it did not help me at all. It teaches you NOTHING about how to time this move in real-time, other than in what order to press the inputs (which is explicitly mentioned everywhere).

If you're not getting the distance of Sheik in that video, one of two things is happening (I think):
1) You're not entering the inputs in such a way as to produce maximum slide. What produces maximum slide? The time at which you cancel the dash attack to produce the up-smash. The times when she slides more are simply the times when she's cancelling while she has peak acceleration from the initial dash attack. I noticed this, tested it, and confirmed it with Link because his non-optimized dash attack cancelled to U-smash is 10x more fickle than Sheik's. I eventually discovered that if I cancelled the dash via UP+Z too late, he wouldn't get the maximum amount of slide. By speeding up his inputs (I started cancelling before the CONTROL stick hit 90 degrees), I was able to guarantee maximum slide. With Sheik, this is incredibly difficult since the timing JUST TO DO THE NERFED VERSION IN THE FIRST PLACE is so insane. We're talking fractions of seconds here, folks.

2) You're not doing this tech but instead just hyphen-smashing. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume this is not the case, but if it WERE the case it wouldn't be the first time I've seen someone think they had it when they didn't on these and other forums. On FD, even with minimum amount of slide, I still make it to at least halfway every time.

I suppose it could also be your controller settings but I didn't see what you're using. I only noticed this post and tried to help.

I hope this helps and sorry if it doesn't.

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
well speed isn't the problem, i can average 160 apm pretty comfortably, and i can execute the move easily with every other character except sheik...and i can still do it with sheik, im just not getting the right distance....fartknocker, lets exchange friend codes and i want to see u do it with sheik and fly 3/4 of the distance of FD
If I can remember this when I get out of work at 5:30 and don't start my weekend with killing off brain cells like usual, I'll add your friend code and we can do it tonight. If not we'll get in touch some other time (my FC is in my profile) and I'll show ya.

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
In answering another poster, this is DLX, and you CAN do it with every character. The thing is, it is not very useful for some characters, say Captain Falcon, who instead of sliding with usmash he stays in place when using DLX and scores no additional hit like Snake, Wario, or Falco. And for most characters, this is extremely hard except for the three previously mentioned characters. Try training in 1/4 mode if you don't believe me.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
In answering another poster, this is DLX, and you CAN do it with every character. The thing is, it is not very useful for some characters, say Captain Falcon, who instead of sliding with usmash he stays in place when using DLX and scores no additional hit like Snake, Wario, or Falco. And for most characters, this is extremely hard except for the three previously mentioned characters. Try training in 1/4 mode if you don't believe me.
That's it except you shouldn't call it DLX, just call it a dash attack cancelled into an upsmash or some abbreviation(daupsmash or something), but don't you think it's a little dumb to call it after someone just because he said "let's call it DLX hit-cancel cause I'm dantelinkx"?

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
i just got it with sheik, its crazy how far she flies, best distance by far...problem was I wa strying to use up-z after the cstick-down...its so much easier with A

Volke

Smash Rookie
Start in a slower motion to find the frame

I do Dash-> C-Stick down->Up L/R

Just change whichever shield button you don't use to attack and do it like that. Pressing the Zbutton is uncomfortable to me and I can't do it repeatedly so I use L. It will take a little timing adjustment since you have to press the Shield buttons a little earlier since they need to be pushed farther but I find it easier.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I can land this move nearly every time. I hope I can help some of you figure it out, too.

I practiced for 2-FREAKING-HOURS to try doing this move consistently. I couldn't do it ONCE for the first 45 minutes. Once I was able to do it, I found I couldn't do it consistently since the timing was so small. Eventually, you have to train your hands for the timing: the window is just too small to be able to think about it as you're doing it.

***I HAVE TAP UP TO JUMP SET TO OFF ON MY CONTROLLER (Z is Attack, C-stick is Smash). IT'S SUPPOSEDLY PERFORMED DIFFERENTLY FOR TAP UP TO JUMP PEOPLE***

The gist of the technique is the following: Sheik accelerates greatly when she first dashes. By cancelling the dash animation, you are retaining her momentum in the direction she was accelerating but simply choosing to do an up-smash instead of the dash part. So, what is really happening?

You're dashing forward by moving the control stick to left or right.
You're hitting the C-stick DOWN to dash attack (even though it's set to Smash)
You're IMMEDIATELy cancelling that attack with an Up-Smash by smashing UP+Z.
Final result: You're UP SMASHING with Sheik's DASH ATTACK momentum.

Below are the various ways I've been able to perform the move. I find the easiest way to learn using this method is try charging the smash by holding the Z attack instead of tapping it. I also smash the C-stick down instead of flicking it down until I see the move come out. It seems to be SLIGHTLY more forgiving with the timing when you do this. Either that or it's just my imagination and it makes it easier to perform for me. Whatever works...

The Easiest Way (also the most unreliable)
According to what I stated earlier, you start off running then up-smashing. Most ways of performing this technique require very tight timing on the control-stick when switching the direction from left or right (the dash) to straight up (the smash). HOWEVER, I discovered that you can alleviate the need to even move the control stick during the cancel, although it is inconsistent (works sometimes, doesn't work other times). If nothing else, I say if you can't do the normal method yet for executing this tech, try starting with this:

Assuming we're doing this to our right...

Hold the control-stick to the Up AND Right to make Sheik Dash. It's tricky to actually start the dash sometimes doing this so it helps to move it more right than up (at least initially).
While holding that direction, press Down-C IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED by Z-attack The timing is so close on down-C and Z that it looks, feels, and sounds like you're doing them both at the same instant. If you're having trouble timing them, try pressing both at the same instant and you'll eventually get lucky and nail the timing.
PROS: This is the easiest way to do the tech. It's just holding one direction (UP-RIGHT) and pressing two buttons at roughly the same time.
CONS: Inconsistently starts the dash when going UP-Right sometimes. Sometimes no matter the timing you're holding the Control Stick too far to the right and she never goes into the up-smash. Still, if you're at wit's end with this tech, I recommend you try it this way before giving up to see if you can grasp the idea better.

Harder Way (more reliable)
Same buttons used but with one stipulation: we're saying, "screw the timing". We're going to be moving the CONTROL stick in two directions, and pressing two buttons. Let's do it.
Dash to the right. Simple. We're just holding the CONTROL stick to the right.
At the SAME INSTANT you press UP on the Control Stick, you're also pressing the C-stick Down and Z button at the SAME TIME.
This is unreliable because, as I stated before, the inputs are NOT supposed to be entered at the same time. This method assumes you can't trust yourself yet to nail the timing (since you haven't taught it to your hands yet) so you're just trying to see if you can get lucky. Once you get lucky, you can start dissecting what really happened. Did you put more emphasis on your C-stick down input or Z-button input? Did you press UP on the CONTROL stick just a half second later than the C-stick down? Did you kind of flick the c-stick or slam it? Did you go straight from RIGHT to UP on the CONTROL stick or did you kind of roll the controller inputs in that direction Street Fighter style? True, this isn't the most scientific method, but this was what I finally humbled myself to do after the first hour and it slowly (verrrrry slowly) worked. Remember: this technique isn't really taxing on your brain, but very taxing on your fingers. This method will teach the technique to your hands, even if your brain can't fully understand what your hands begin to discover. Hahaha. I can't think of a better way to explain this. Try it!

The Hardest, Correct Way (The most reliable):
NOTE: You already know how to do this. You've seen the video. You've read how it's performed. You just haven't been able to actually DO what you're being told to do. Your brain learned it but your fingers haven't. The following method is my brain's best attempt to rationalize what my hands and fingers are really doing. Interestingly, I find I can do this move just as easily while either running or standing still at the beginning.

Let's assume you're standing still and are doing the dash/cancel/smash to the right still.
The inputs will be only fractions of seconds apart, so to the average person it will look and sound like they're all performed at the same instant. The actual sequence is this:
Forward on CONTROL STICK, C-stick Down, UP on CONTROL STICK , Z attack
Because these inputs are entered so fast, by the time I'm pressing Forward, I'm already moving the C-stick towards down (a fraction of a second away from registering it). Because I'm so stretched for time, I'm ROLLING the Control Stick from Forward to UP, hitting every direction in between EXACTLY like a Street Fighter fireball. In the instant I'm doing this and it's rolling to UP, the C-stick down is being registered. As the CONTROL stick gets to almost 90 degrees (a split second after C-down), I'm pressing and holding Z (like I said, practice with holding Z since it's easier) so it registers at the same time the UP-Input comes in. If I was mid-run when I decided to do this move the inputs are the exact same except I'm holding Forward on the CONTROL stick longer before rolling it to UP.
The inputs have to be so fast that it looks, sounds, and feels like the buttons are all being pressed at the same time. Because the timing is so sensitive and windows are so miniscule, I would NOT be trying to use Sheik's movements as a guide when trying this since you will only go batty. I only watched Sheik to see if she did the move after every attempt.
The gist of this method is simple. Consider a keyboard with your fingers on the "A", "S", "D", "F" keys. Imagine that, starting from left to right, you roll your fingers from one to the next in such a way that each letter appears on-screen almost instantaneously after the next. That's what I mean by rolling. I sincerely believe the ONLY thing that makes this so ****ed tricky with Sheik is the C-stick: it's hard to determine at first just when that C-stick is really registering the down smash for the dash attack. My advice to you is this: Flick or Smash that C-stick. When I'm gentle with it I can never land the move.
If you're having trouble doing it this correct way, try pressing C-stick down the instant you press Forward then just UP-Smash right after that with Z. OR try pressing the C-stick down the instant you press the Z and UP and you might do it correctly that way. Both of these methods are technically incorrect but, as I've stated many times before, the timing is so tight that what seems instantaneous to you is not instantaneous to a computer system. If you can do the move the wrong way you're a step closer than someone who cannot do the move the right way. Just like a maze folks. Start at the end and work backwards if you get stuck ;)

I wish I had more help to give you guys or could upload a video of me consistently doing it to show you the timing (I don't even think that would help so much since it's so ****ed fast).

This took me 2 hours to be able to land consistently. Several days and I'm ALMOST never messing it up (in the heat of battle it's hard to reach that Korean-fingered zen and get the timing on this move every time).

It's a hard move guys. I hope you don't wind up with callouses on your Z finger and CONTROL stick thumbs like I did. Just remember: this move is no walk in the park, so don't get frustrated if it takes you a long time to figure it out. I've been playing fighting games since SFII, I have long and quick fingers (I type 140wpm), and I'm double-jointed in several places. It still took me 2 hours.

Good luck *salute*

Because of your guide I can do it half of the time from the second of actually trying it, thanks.

Nymphetamine

Smash Apprentice
Hum now that i have learned it, its pretty simple just

Run then Down-C
Up on the control stick and press Z at the same time.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Sweet! thanks Knocker, all of that information is INCREDIBLY valuable! I will have to dedicate some time to gettign this consitently, but thanks to the guide, I'm sure it will be possible at some point.

Top Bottom