• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Attack Cancelled into Up-Smash

ADHD

Smash Hero
This is so gay. Why does it have to be so complicated lol

I'm david, I get the dash attack and Up on analog thing but you lost me on the grab thing

SHined BLind

Smash Apprentice
This is so gay. Why does it have to be so complicated lol

I'm david, I get the dash attack and Up on analog thing but you lost me on the grab thing
All you need is; faith, determination, trust, patience, effort, will, hope, and a cup of coffee at this hour. jklol
serious: just try what I said, but a liiittle bit faster. If you still phail, tell me every input you did and how fast they were.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
here's an easy way to do it:
Dash
attack
tap up reallly quickly (with tap jump turned off, might not work with, use non-C-Stick)
hit/hold grab just as quickly
I'm sorry, you're an idiot. You're going to cause other people to get confused. Your way is wrong. It only works with other characters that have a larger period to cancel their dash such as Snake and Falco. Sheik doesn't have that leniency.

In my post, if I say "grab button" or "attack button", it means that whatever button you choose that is set to "grab" or "attack" in the controls.

Dash, c-stick down (this should be set to smashes), then press up+attack. To press the attack fast enough, you need to have an L, R, or Z button set to that. It isn't set like that by default, so you are going to have to choose one of them and change it. You cannot use grab.

Don't listen to Shined Blind, as he obviously hasn't read a post in this topic.

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, you're an idiot. You're going to cause other people to get confused. Your way is wrong. It only works with other characters that have a larger period to cancel their dash such as Snake and Falco. Sheik doesn't have that leniency.

In my post, if I say "grab button" or "attack button", it means that whatever button you choose that is set to "grab" or "attack" in the controls.

Dash, c-stick down (this should be set to smashes), then press up+attack. To press the attack fast enough, you need to have an L, R, or Z button set to that. It isn't set like that by default, so you are going to have to choose one of them and change it. You cannot use grab.

Don't listen to Shined Blind, as he obviously hasn't read a post in this topic.
Alright, that makes it a bit easier I suppose. I got it two or three times in a row so I"m good

Drephen

Smash Master
practiced this for an hour, still cant do it. *Sigh* guess i won't be able to do advanced techniques in brawl just like i couldn't do in melee lol.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
This worked for me. I set L to attack and now I can perform this trick... sometimes.

Doval

Smash Lord
This can be made less painful by buffering the dash attack and the up-smash during the lag of another move. E.g. you short-hop and air dodge, as you're about to land you tap forward on the analog stick, C-stick down and C-stick up. It removes the need for ultra-tight timing, at the expensive of having to perform another action before it.

bobknob

Smash Cadet
doval: is that true?

i find that i perform this move most consistently by hitting A and c-down with the same motion (i.e. i slide my hand down the controller so that my thumb hits *c-down* and my index finger hits *A* at nearly the same time).

this keeps my timing consistent

also, i like how dreph is turning into the new chuck norris

Rebel581

Smash Champion
This can be made less painful by buffering the dash attack and the up-smash during the lag of another move. E.g. you short-hop and air dodge, as you're about to land you tap forward on the analog stick, C-stick down and C-stick up. It removes the need for ultra-tight timing, at the expensive of having to perform another action before it.
Buffering works in this game? I don't understand how it could since buffering has always been only about buffering directional inputs, not attacks. This requires two attack buttons to be pressed. I'll try it though. I'll be very surprised if this works.

Doval

Smash Lord
doval: is that true?
It's true, as long you buffer properly. It can be a bit tricky, but if doing it the normal way (insane timing) is too troublesome for you, it could be a decent alternative.
Buffering works in this game? I don't understand how it could since buffering has always been only about buffering directional inputs, not attacks.
Since when? Many fighters let you input attacks early. I'm surprised you haven't noticed Brawl lets you buffer; everyone accidentally buffers a command at least once.

In any case, I suggest the both of you read the buffering guide I made a couple of days back. Sadly, it barely caught anyone's interest, despite that it has lots of applications. In any circumstance where you would want to follow up an action with another one immediately, buffering both makes it easier to do, and gives you consistent execution. You can find the guide here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167109

P.S. If you have any buffering-related questions, please post in the guide, not here. The thread could use a bump.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I've tried doing this without changing the button but it's far too difficult and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if it’s just **** impossible.

So if you haven't realize it by now I gave in and tried doing it with Z which works out pretty well as in I could actually do one after few minutes of practice, which is great except I just lost my normal grab option which would mean if I stayed with this layout I would have choose a new grab option, adopt to it before being able to effectively use this around then I notice the unused right bumper.

Within the first 5 minutes of switching I did 3 dash attack cancels in a row, which was most likely a fluke but after seeing that I decide to stay with this.

You guys should give it a try if you haven't already.

Edit: **** this **** after only an hour of practice my lucky control that I've been using for like two years broke. Now even if the stick returns to the middle the control will still think you are holding down or up if that was the last command you put in.

I also think it's slower in responding in general but I'm sick today so I can't really say.

bobknob

Smash Cadet
in brawl, I feel like you don't have to use Z as much b/c shield-grabbing is better than dash-grabbing or JC dashgrabbing.

but I use A for the boost smash anyway.

i can do it roughly 25% of the time, give or take, and i can pull it off in battles and get some cool kills

getting punished on failures sucks tho'

ADHD

Smash Hero
Here you go, I can do it five times in a row now.

Switch L to attack, turn jump tap off.

Run, C-stick down and up L. :D

airius

Smash Cadet
I find the easiest way for me to do this is to watch sheik's animations. I started out by just dashing with her to memorize the timing from the moment i hit down c and when the time it took for the spark to come out indicating the attack actually went off. The time frame for the up smash ( i use z ) is about halfway between these two. Just thought I would share because all the posts i have seen give their way of timing but don't put a relation to what can be seen visually.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Hellz yeah, I just killed my first opponent ever using the Dash attacks cancel into up smash. It was so beautiful as it was the winning point.

Anyways I'm still terrible at doing this but I am getting better with setting R to attack instead of Z

ulzimate

Smash Rookie
I think it's a little easier to do if you set Z to attack, rather than L or R, since the latter two are a little harder and slower to push down. It might just be my controller, but I probably have a 5% chance to get it with L or R, but maybe 70-80% with Z.

If you need Z to grab, I think shield+A is better anyway. Shield+A to grab when you're dashing gives you the standstill grab, which is faster and has less recoil, but the range is just shorter on ranged grabs.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Is it okay if I start calling it DACUS? (Dack-uss) Dash Attack Cancelled into Up-Smash is annoying.

Anyway, I hate that I have to change the config to do this. I'm trying to find a way to do it with C-stick forward, since you can just slide your thumb from the Cstick to A to do it that way.

I have to say, though, Dash Dance to DACUS is AWESOME.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I found a way to make this much easier without having to change your configuration. i.e., when tap jump is on, L and R both block, Z grabs, and C-stick smashes.

You'll notice that when you hit up first, then hold A to do a Usmash, you sometimes jump. When you hit two buttons, there is a small gap between the first and second inputs, so what that means is the order you hit the buttons in doesn't matter. Therefore, you can hit A and then Up on the control stick to do the U-smash.

Here is a breakdown of what to hit, and when.

Tap Forward to dash.
C-stick Down to begin the attack.
(Wait for attack to begin)
A and then IMMEDIATELY hit up.

So, that's Forward > V-Cstick > A > Up.

It will be a little odd at first. Try to say "One-Two-Three-Four!" in your head. Just make sure you press Up IMMEDIATELY after A and it should work fine. I can get it pretty much every time now. Try to get it in one fluid motion. Happy DACUSing :D

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Tilt your hand so that your index finger is on Cstick and your middle is on A.

I'm trying to understand why it doesn't quite work with Cstick forward. It still initiates a dash attack, so why can't it be used in the same way? I'll try testing later.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
**UPDATE**

This works with C-stick forward too. It really helps to twist your hand a bit so that your thumbnail if over the A button, and some point of your lower thumb can move the Cstick just enough to do the dash attack. Since dashing left and C-sticking right still does a dash attack, you can do this in either direction. I quickly got used to it, and it works just as often as when I do it any other way.

Squidster

Smash Ace
Still seems easier to do by switching a trigger to attack... just use whichever shield button you don't shield with. You're controls are unaffected during play, you can boost smash easily and you don't have to mangle your hand everytime you do an attack.

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
Is it impossible to do without setting Z to Attack? I can't seem to do it without doing it like that. This seems like something that would take way too long to master...

Sometimes when I Brawl certain people I see them trying to "DACUS"

Top Bottom