• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D.B.R. Presents: GENESIS! RESULTS-Melee: Mango. Brawl: To Be Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Ohhhhhhhh! I didn't know you guys were still doing normal crews! I thought you guys were just talking about Regional Crews! Sometimes, the problem with crews is that people that have a match will get very f***en distracted!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Atomsk and I must be not on the same side as Mew2King and Fiction in doubles. They get seed one, and Atomsk and I get seed two or three, and the other second or third seed is Tyrant and LeePuff. That's what I know so far. So we should fight Tyrant and LeePuff in semis.

I will NEVER shut up if we're on the same side as Mew2King and Fiction. You will have to kick me out of the venue. I hate bad/unfair seeding, and Mew2King and I almost got screwed at WHOBO by only fighting top teams the whole time, including the second best team in third round, and Atomsk and I were going to fight ChuDat and Azen before quarters instead of semis at CoT4 until I complained. I don't want to be d!cked or see other teams get d!cked in losers by a top team going there early like at WHOBO with TWO amazing teams going into losers very early.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
as much as id love to see inui lose, id rather see an EC team win. m2k and fiction are clear favorites but its like ec/wc mix so who do you root for??!? no more rivalries anymore :(

Inui

Banned via Warnings
^cant wait for inui to lose to some random team.
You should know by now (especially since you're MD/VA, a region we pretty much piss on in doubles all the time, it's the truth) that such a thing isn't really possible. Atomsk and I are just too strong of a team right now to allow such a thing to happen. It actually has never happened.

Tyrant and LeePuff scare me a lot because Tyrant is amazing and LeePuff uses the character that scares me the most in doubles. I'm really worried about them.

Oh, and Mew2King and Fiction obviously.

I'm not that overly concerned about other teams, but I don't sleep on good teams. I'm confident, not an idiot.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Seeding brackets from pool results is set up so that:

1. Players from the same pool do not face each other (in W bracket, at least).
2. Your pool ranking determines the difficulty of your opponents.

Assuming that All Pools Are Created Equal (an obviously invalid assumption), this would give you a perfect bracket. Once you start moving people around to appease the players who SWEAR that they're XX seed (or, heaven forbid, fixing two opponents who are from the same area) you throw the perfect mathematical harmony of the bracket out the window and people complain that they have to play someone from their pool in the second round.

No one is ever happy :(.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
well yea the same area seeding is a pretty big deal for OOSers, especially when both teams r completely that area, like i would hate for vex and i to fight inui and atomsk early. preferably opposite sides of bracket

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Seeding brackets from pool results is set up so that:

1. Players from the same pool do not face each other (in W bracket, at least).
2. Your pool ranking determines the difficulty of your opponents.

Assuming that All Pools Are Created Equal (an obviously invalid assumption), this would give you a perfect bracket. Once you start moving people around to appease the players who SWEAR that they're XX seed (or, heaven forbid, fixing two opponents who are from the same area) you throw the perfect mathematical harmony of the bracket out the window and people complain that they have to play someone from their pool in the second round.

No one is ever happy :(.
Mew2King's team and my team are going to **** our pools, so just put us as far apart as possible.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't worry, I'm not saying that brackets shouldn't be sensitive to locations.

But at the same time, what if by moving you to avoid another east coast team I have to pit a pool winner against another pool winner? That's not fair to the two teams who did what they were supposed to do and won their pools. You're interested in playing a variety of opponents, and the two winners are interested in being rewarded for their tournament play (supposedly the whole point). How does one resolve that?

Just food for thought. I like talking about tournaments.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
o i understand, the pool seeding goes before everything else. but in such a large bracket and since theres only 2 EC only teams lol (4 tops), its not hard to switch one if need be with another team who got the same seed in their respective pool.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
It shouldn't be hard to avoid two pool winners facing each other. When Mew2King's team and my team both win our pools, just put us as far apart as possible and that's that. I don't see why it could cause two pool winners to face each other.

There's going to be more than two EC teams. I'm sure NinjaLink and MalcolmM will team, or maybe Jash with one of them or something, and NEO and Pierce are going, and ADHD is with SK92 apparently. It should be really easy to keep us apart in such a big bracket, though.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i forgot about ninjalink + malcom, but yea besides that it seemed like all the EC ppl were teaming with non-EC. i was referring to strictly full EC.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I just got done talking to sidefx and he said he's going to let EC top players/hosts help out with seeding so we don't john about it being unfair and we avoid EC teams being seeded wrongly.

Me and Chibo should probably do this. Righto? Yez!

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you going to memorize the placings of all 64+ teams in the bracket, Inui, or be willing to check each one before making a switch in the bracket? :)

Anyways, this is just a silly "what if" example. I'm sure every reasonable accommodation will be made to make sure things are legit. That's how we roll on the WC.

sidefx

Smash Champion
it all depends on time/people showing up.

almost all of the ruleset for this tourny is being called out on the spot. i could put up the ruleset how we wanted it , and how its ideal.. but the fact is.. it all depends on # of attendants.. and having to switch around and alter rules to accommodate the tournament so it finishes on time.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
long as something melee-related is first on friday, everything is gonna be ok :laugh:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
With so many TVs around and if there's time to spare, Melee's inevitable. And I don't say inevitable in a bad way either. Everyone'll get Melee & Brawl all the time probably. XD

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
regardless of whcih game starts first (if not both) everyone still needs to be there at 7am for reg right?

Razor

Smash Journeyman
Pools and brackets:

First, keep in mind that these estimates can change drastically, depending how many people are actually showing up. We have many different scenarios that we have run through in order to be most efficient, effective, and fair.

We are not here to jip you from your tournament experience... but PLEASE keep in mind the number of people who are expected to show up to this event. It is very hard to keep everyone pleased, and to keep everyone on the same page about everything that is going on.

So obviously, when you see almost 750 people registered for this tournament... if you're still expecting 3 rounds of pools, with top 4 advanced in each to a 128 man bracket for 4 events... you either must be smoking something, or on some sort of prescripted drug.

With everything taken into consideration, including the sheer number of entrants we're looking at compared to the time frame we have to run 4 events, all the while being as fair and reasonable as possible to our entrants, our plan is as follows:

(**Singles Events**)
--1st round of pools = 64 initial pools
6-7 participants (possibly 7-8) per pool
Top-3 advance in each

-2nd round of pools = 32 pools
6 participants per pool
-Top 2 advance in each
64 man bracket

not going to this, but doesn't that first round of pools seem a lil unfair? if there are 2 rounds, the cutoff point for the first round shouldn't matter too much. 4 ppl out of the first round seems more fair.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
In case anyone's interested...

Hyuga is taking me, Darc, and crew to a beach somewhere Monday after the tournament. If you're bored/around the area, you should stop by =).

Will know details later. And if I don't find out in time, there's always the tournament to find out.

PS. Buying playing cards tomorrow <3.
Me and the guys from New Mexico may be down to go as well. I dunno how you'd feel about me tagging after I woop you in ERS tho...

haha kidding.

And again my brother and I are taking at least 10 decks of cards for magic and games (it really is a force of habit now to have a deck of cards or many of them on us at all times. Comes with the trade). If you wanted to borrow one you could lol.

Myself and the other 4 from NM going are leaving tomorrow so we have plenty of slack time along the drive and we arent pressed for time. Heres to a looooooong and safe drive.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Oh ya for everyone who text/called me today about ERS and Hold Em. I will let you all know whats going on when we get there Thursday.

And for those who wont be arriving till Friday or whenever, dont worry there will be plenty of time to card gae it up. Just look for the twins walking around playing with cards, you can't miss us :p

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Inui, stop waving your epeen about.

You're making us tolerable homos look bad. It's like you're trying to be the Perez Hilton of the gay smashers community.

F Zero

Smash Journeyman
If the avatar represents the person, it doesn't look to be a difficult task...

I can't wait to see all the Cali women. All we have down here in FL is 15-year-old puerto rican girls.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Oh ya again any smashers wanting to play hold em or egyptian rat screw at the Ramada, it will be going on in my room. The number is 505-977-7926

Text or call any time. We'll probably be arriving Thursday afternoon and I'll let everyone know when they can start heading over. If exhaustion isnt a factor, it will be going on all weekend after Genesis lets out those nights.

Have safe trips everyone and see you all there

sidefx

Smash Champion
well.. the venue area is kinda lacking in the woman department..

but if you hit up SF while youre here, youll be happy =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom