• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
is it really over the top?

26, they had 6 clones. They de-clone 3 and eliminate 3. They're down to 23 characters. They said they wouldn't have the same proportional increase from 64 to melee for the melee to brawl conversion.

12-26. More than double. 11-20 no clones.
They included clones in their quote where they stated that it wouldn't increase as much. No clones and it was still almost double. They can do it again! Reduce the roster to 23 and double, 46. I say 48 so yes

Rhyme

Smash Lord
is it really over the top?

26, they had 6 clones. They de-clone 3 and eliminate 3. They're down to 23 characters. They said they wouldn't have the same proportional increase from 64 to melee for the melee to brawl conversion.

12-26. More than double. 11-20 no clones.
They included clones in their quote where they stated that it wouldn't increase as much. No clones and it was still almost double. They can do it again! Reduce the roster to 23 and double, 46. I say 48 so yes
Yes.

"They" meaning whome? Also, while I agree with you, I don't think there's a source for there being a smaller relative increase in roster size.

What the hay are you talking about? Smash64 to Melee? There were clones. Melee to Brawl? We were never given such information.

Do what? Double the roster size? Absolutely!...not. The devs barely had time enough for 20 unique characters when creating Melee, what makes you think they will have time to make any more than 35 unique characters for Brawl?

Yeah, it's easy when you're just talking numbers. I'm talking about human capabilities.

If you want to discuss a realistic outcome for Brawl's final roster size then talk to Dyce. Better yet, there's smashers who went over the statistics of it all a while back, and I believe KirbyKid may have been the one who posted the summary on Smash Blog. Definitely check that out if you think there will be more than 40 characters in this game.

smashbot226

Smash Master
SNAAAAAAAAKE!!!

It's been so long... we thought we weren't gonna see you...

Oh... yeah... Cipher...

OOOHHH!!! Grenades...

And when he was armholding ike, LOL. I myself am an Ike fanboy,but that was just TOO good!

JPW

Smash Ace
so is he revealing everyone or what?

I really don't think that Snake should be part of the starting roster, because he's kind of special and different.

all of this might of been discussed earlier, right now i'm just too tired to check.

seeing snake this early is weird and if sakurai continues this trend of one character a week. then really there could only be 10 left to go....

now i can think of 6 veterans still to come, but then there could only be four newcomers left, and apparently two of those are supposed to be third party.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Oh boy... this is getting tense.. now that all the initial improtant characters are now done for...

WHO WILL BE NEXT?!?!??!?

It's like watching a boring murder mystery when the killings get more...

Awesome.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter

whooooo!!!!!!!!! SNAKE just got on the DOJO!! best day ever :laugh: anyway his move set kinda turned out like I'd expect it with Nikita missiles, gredanes and of course he grabs, the only thing now is how is Final smash will be, but anyway I'm glad that Sakurai decided to FINALLY include sanke on the Dojo, I believe he might be an unlockable since he's special plus 3rd party so I guess it's possible for it to be that way

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
just an idea, since snake can pull out his grenade by just pressing b, i think they should incorporate this link. by doing so, link down b is open for something new

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Rhyme - :laugh: I don't care what they think or say, I'm going by what I feel is appropriate. 44 actually feels better for me too *scratches head and thinks* yep
HA2050 - too late...
Everyone - indeed, snake calls for a celebration, back later

"where's he going?" "what's he doing?" *panicpanicchaospanicpanic* :psycho:

precious :lick:

BIG-T

Smash Apprentice
Snake looks mad out of place. He's not even Nintendo. This ruins the whole point of it being a nintendo game. What's next....****ing Crash Bandicoot.

thrak

Smash Cadet
geez how long have you been frozen in that glacier big-T??
this must have been talked about like a thouand times ABOUT A YEAR AGO!
geez...

anyway, does that pic of snake coming out of da box and mario flying back prove that his bock is move? Possibly his block? Possibly proving that there are no more bubble sheilds? etcetera, etcetera etcetera?:psycho:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Snake looks mad out of place. He's not even Nintendo. This ruins the whole point of it being a nintendo game. What's next....****ing Crash Bandicoot.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Ahem. I had to get that outta my system. Sorry about that.

Hate to burst your bubble, T, but Snake originally started out on Nintendo. The first two Metal Gear games debuted on the 8-bit NES. There's history between the two companies. Mad history.

Smooth Criminal

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Ahem. I had to get that outta my system. Sorry about that.

Hate to burst your bubble, T, but Snake originally started out on Nintendo. The first two Metal Gear games debuted on the 8-bit NES. There's history between the two companies. Mad history.

Smooth Criminal

yep he's right, which is why I'm happy that shanke made it to Brawl whoo!!!

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Dynamism: Fair enough.

thrak: That box has oscillated between Snake's shield (most popular opinion) and his downB (some sort of counter-attack move?) over the last few months. However, now that he's shown forcefully standing, and throwing Mario backwards in the process, it looks to be more of a counter than a shield.

Smooth Criminal: Spoken like a true fan.

brawler12

Smash Journeyman
Snake isn't gonna be an unlockable he's a starter wikipedia state that other 3rd parties will be unlockables with the exception of Snake.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Snake isn't gonna be an unlockable he's a starter wikipedia state that other 3rd parties will be unlockables with the exception of Snake.
And lookit! Smashwiki (along with the rest of the well informed Smash community) states that: "Sakurai has stated that he feels it would be appropriate that a "guest" character such as Snake should need to be unlocked, so it is likely that Snake will be a secret character, rather than a starter."

Which Wiki should we trust? The one that's updated by any schmuck? Or the one updated by Smash fanatics? Hmmm...

EDIT:
IMO, I think Snake marks the start of the "characters to be unlocked" update series. The only acceptions that I can make would be for Ness, CFalcon, and Sheik at this point, but that is highly unlikely. We have all the Melee starters already, excluding the afformentioned three. First, take a look at this image from the Wi-Fi Play update:

Notice that EVERY character we've been given thus far (prior to the Snake update) is on the avatar page. There's no edited-out spoiler spots hiding anything, and the page doesn't run off before or after any certain character. We even see that Mario starts immediately after the emblems, and Ivysaur ends the list just before Miis start up.

P.S.- The fact that there's no Sheik avatar next to the Zelda avatar is... rather upsetting. :urg:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
That's not what Sakurai said, though.

It's just somebody making assumptions. Assumptions that will more then likely be wrong.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
EDIT:
IMO, I think Snake marks the start of the "characters to be unlocked" update series. The only acceptions that I can make would be for Ness, CFalcon, and Sheik at this point, but that is highly unlikely. We have all the Melee starters already, excluding the afformentioned three. First, take a look at this image from the Wi-Fi Play update:

Notice that EVERY character we've been given thus far (prior to the Snake update) is on the avatar page. There's no edited-out spoiler spots hiding anything, and the page doesn't run off before or after any certain character. We even see that Mario starts immediately after the emblems, and Ivysaur ends the list just before Miis start up.

P.S.- The fact that there's no Sheik avatar next to the Zelda avatar is... rather upsetting. :urg:
Well, I'm sure the developers of all people would be able to change the order of the icons (or simply not have them show altogether) in the alpha/beta version of the game (not to mention the fact that it could very well be an option in the final version) to hide unannounced characters. Not to mention the fact that a professional graphic/menu designer could probably do a decently convincing job with Photoshop on something like this. To be honest, I really don't know what to think about whether or not Snake is unlockable but I think we should wait for much more definative proof.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Wait a sec...

I know this is off topic,but I literally just noticed something...

Remember the character order from the original 64 Smash?

Look at the characters before Bowser and after the symbols.

WEEEEEEEEIRD...

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Well, I'm sure the developers of all people would be able to change the order of the icons (or simply not have them show altogether) in the alpha/beta version of the game (not to mention the fact that it could very well be an option in the final version) to hide unannounced characters. Not to mention the fact that a professional graphic/menu designer could probably do a decently convincing job with Photoshop on something like this. To be honest, I really don't know what to think about whether or not Snake is unlockable but I think we should wait for much more definative proof.
Well, it could be any of that... OR Miis could be playable characters!!!

ZOMG!!! RUMOR!!!

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Wait a sec...

I know this is off topic,but I literally just noticed something...

Remember the character order from the original 64 Smash?

Look at the characters before Bowser and after the symbols.

WEEEEEEEEIRD...
They also used that order for the character page on the SSBM website:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0222/character.html

Bowser, Peach, Zelda, and the Ice Climbers are in the order they were in on that website in that screen, too. :1

Darthkirby707

Smash Cadet
I really like this update, I've been wanting to know Snake's moves, and his music is one of my favorites (the other being the OOT medley) Does this mean unlockable characters will be updated on dojo, or just Snake who was already confirmed? If Sonic's updated I'll be so happy...

On topic on the Snake update, since Kirby inherits the normal B-Move, he'll be throwing grenades as Snake Kirby. That'll look odd- Kirby with a headband and beard chucking grenades- I bet whoever made Kirby didn't intend that :laugh:

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
I really like this update, I've been wanting to know Snake's moves, and his music is one of my favorites (the other being the OOT medley) Does this mean unlockable characters will be updated on dojo, or just Snake who was already confirmed? If Sonic's updated I'll be so happy...

On topic on the Snake update, since Kirby inherits the normal B-Move, he'll be throwing grenades as Snake Kirby. That'll look odd- Kirby with a headband and beard chucking grenades- I bet whoever made Kirby didn't intend that :laugh:
I don't think Kirby will get the beard... and he has already worn headbands, while using the Fighter ability. But the grenades are going to be new, that's right. (although he already DID chuck bombs)

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I don't think Kirby will get the beard... and he has already worn headbands, while using the Fighter ability. But the grenades are going to be new, that's right. (although he already DID chuck bombs)
Grenades are going to be a good move for Kirby to steal. And hopefully when Kirby copies Ike his sword won't become insanely smaller and lose power. I hated that with Kirby when it came to Marth and Roy.

I think Kirby's going to have a lot of useful B moves this time around. So far we know that with Pit he'll have Palutena's Arrow (and it would be sweet if he turned into Angel Kirby), with Ivysaur he'll have Bullet Seed (and a bulb on his head), with Charizard he'll have Flame Thrower (which looks just like Bowser's move... which I'll admit wasn't all that useful), with Diddy he'll have the Peanut Pop Gun (but I'm still curious as to how he'll end up looking), and with Meta Knight he'll have that twister move (and anything that Meta Knight has done so far looks amazing)(and I'm curious as to what Kirby will look like post-copy for him too).

Repryx

Smash Champion
Kirby is a punk...can he copy meta knight? I mean canonically...

and OHH how about Kirby copying enimies in the SE!!

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Grenades are going to be a good move for Kirby to steal. And hopefully when Kirby copies Ike his sword won't become insanely smaller and lose power. I hated that with Kirby when it came to Marth and Roy.

I think Kirby's going to have a lot of useful B moves this time around. So far we know that with Pit he'll have Palutena's Arrow (and it would be sweet if he turned into Angel Kirby), with Ivysaur he'll have Bullet Seed (and a bulb on his head), with Charizard he'll have Flame Thrower (which looks just like Bowser's move... which I'll admit wasn't all that useful), with Diddy he'll have the Peanut Pop Gun (but I'm still curious as to how he'll end up looking), and with Meta Knight he'll have that twister move (and anything that Meta Knight has done so far looks amazing)(and I'm curious as to what Kirby will look like post-copy for him too).
This super smash game has the best characters, Its hard to choose who to main as. And the game hasn't even come out yet!

Fawriel

Smash Master
...I find that... unlikely.

I mean, look at all the original new additions...

Snake has giant, disjoined projectile and landmine smashes, Pokemon Trainer has 3 Pokemon he has to switch between every once in a while....

Honestly, I'll be very impressed with Sakurai and his team if not a single character will be completely broken or completely useless in the metagame as soon as people start finding exploits. =/

And perfect balance is just impossible, sir, unless you completely sacrifice originality and variety for it.

brawler12

Smash Journeyman
Howcome every picture Bowser is in he is getting beat up or doing nothing.
And yes I noticed my mistake about Snake being a starter when he's an unlockable NOBODY IS PERFECT.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
...I find that... unlikely.

I mean, look at all the original new additions...

Snake has giant, disjoined projectile and landmine smashes, Pokemon Trainer has 3 Pokemon he has to switch between every once in a while....

Honestly, I'll be very impressed with Sakurai and his team if not a single character will be completely broken or completely useless in the metagame as soon as people start finding exploits. =/

And perfect balance is just impossible, sir, unless you completely sacrifice originality and variety for it.
Would you say melee was balanced? At least more than most games?
When this team, (the one that has impressed you before with the freakin amazing game) says they'll focus on something, I expect them to.

Howcome every picture Bowser is in he is getting beat up or doing nothing.
Because he doesn't have to do much at all. He's fat!

Edit: I'll say it again.Snake SUCKS
I'll back my statement up if you have an argument worth debating that states he wont.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Yeah, Sakurai's pot has served him well...

just kidding.

Furthermore, I like the additions. They need to pull another WTF ITS SNAKE moments.

Leon Kennedy anyone?

Don't start saying NO FI'NG WAY! Snake got in. Why shouldn't Leon?

Also, I have an idea for one more char type:

It goes like this; say somebody is allowed to summon up to three or four sentinent units, like mini satellites, to follow him around. Now they can't attack on their own. Their only purpose is to allow B moves and an FS.

For instance, let's say we have a Magnezone character (HIGHLY UNLIKELY!)

And his B move is to summon Magnemites. Now, these Magnemites can't attack on their own, they just follow Magnezone around. However, if Magnezone uses his B^, BV, B>, or his Final Smash, the Magnemites come into play.

How does that sound?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
That idea sounds like one that somebody made for Isaac with Djinni once before.

It seems kind of weird to me personally... but I guess it could work.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Olimar?

Regarding Snake...LAND MINE SMASHES???? Ok, what's his best option when someone rolls behind him? "Lets plant a bomb! I'll only get hit a few times! Then explode by my own device!" :urg: His UpB will even leave him exposed. It looks like Peachs Parasole but high lifting without that massive priority. :ohwell: His UpSmash is shooting (again). Link isn't going to get hit by that in the pic, then what can Snake do?
He's on extreme sides of Ness strengths and Ganon weaknesses.
Snake has great fire power, can force people to approach him and keep them away. But his attack speed is (without question) slow and leaves him open plenty. If he is always on the offense, he'll do good. But when they get to him he'll be often vulnerable. He will be balanced mind you, I just think he's going to be tough to get used to.

Who do you main? If you main Ganon and Ness, it'll be an easy conversion. Link and Falco(alaDyce) not so much. They can protect themselves from all sides at all times effectively. Far and near. Snake, meh...

I can really say they all SUCK against the wrong matchup. Snake SUCKS>no more or less. But I'll still say he sucks, against Mario I would think for sure. Mario would get too close.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
I'd like to thank everyone for the warm welcome back a few pages back. I typed up a response to everyone, except for some reason it didn't post and I didn't have the heart to rewrite the whole thing. Anyhow, the basic point was ya'll rock.

smashbot226, no f'ing way. Snake's inclusion was the result of his creator being a fan of Super Smash Bros, not the openning of the floodgates for 3rd party characters. Sure, there could be a reprieve in the case of Sonic, but only because he's already appearing in a joint effort between Sega and Nintendo. Plus Sega ain't doing so hot these days.

Anyhow, now that we finally got Snake, I find it very suspicious that there was nothing included on the dojo which labeled as him unlockable or even mentioned in any way his status of unlockability. Of course, I've heard as much as anyone here the talk of him being unlockable and all. Heck, that info's been around for quite some time. Perhaps long enough to be out of date? Hmmm. Just something to consider.

That's all I got to say for now. At least until I catch up. :psycho:

Dynamism

Smash Lord
:cool:_MY THOUGHTS 20CC_:cool:

The Chart I have posted is not for the faint of heart. This is a spoiler that will prove to either-
1. You accept it as the truth: And become great brawlers quickly.:chuckle:;);)
2. You take it as my opinion: And you lose to me online...always.:chuckle::p:p

The Chart
This is dividing the amount of people that will main each character, (which will be very similar to the tier list within the first year) relative to the actual rank on the tier list that each character would be when used at their possible best. Pick the character with the greatest potential and you will over time, over power all the others. Chose an easy used character and dominate the smash world early, fading after the peak is reached and surpassed by others. This game is not one for the typical “main a few with a secondary” players. Melee was very balanced, and now that they’re focusing on BALANCE!, expect match-ups to be the new keys-to-victory. If you meet a bad match-up for your main in battle, you might as well just hand them the win. A variety of characters in this mass roster and each has their own KTV, you’ll need them all to win.

% Potential When Used vs How Often Used
99 Link_________________________________99 Pit
98 Pikachu______________________________98 Pikachu
97 Diddy - Pit____________________________97 Diddy - MK
96 MK__________________________________96 Mario - Zamus
95 Samus - Yoshi - Kirby___________________95 Snake
94 Snake_______________________________94 Zelda - Yoshi - Link
93 ICs - Mario___________________________93 Samus
92 DK - Zamus___________________________92 DK
91 Peach_______________________________91 Fox - Wario
90 Bowser - Wario________________________90 Ike - ICs - Kirby
89 Fox_________________________________89 Bowser
88 PT - Zelda - Ike________________________88 Peach - PT

This is the summary of the Confirmed Characters to date and what to expect from them. I’ve included the type of fighter they are and how much time they’ll spend in the air and on land during a battle. Their advantages and disadvantages (no specifics) are there too.
The Initially # is the % of that characters potential that is used on the first try with that character.
Ex: Mario has a 93P and after one use, 75% of 93 can be achieved as he is easier to use then someone like Link who has projectile tactics as well as weaknesses to work around before he can be mastered.

SUMMARY:cool:

- Zero Suit Samus looks like an easy character to play as, and a fun one too. But she may be too light and not fast enough to "completely" dominate a battle. She may play similar to Sheik, it makes sense and she has similar style thus far. With this tether as her main recovery, maybe her DownB will be that down kick in the 2nd trailer and it acts like Ganons DB (possibly "great" recovery) or it’s just her new Dair. And with her laser, it may be fairly weak, either way it’s still a good projectile. Without that Power Suit holding her back, she’ll make the "hardest" match-ups "tighter" with her "smooth" movements and attacks from all directions. Combo girl confirmed! She seems well rounded in speed both in air and land battle and is equipped with a couple decent finishers but nothing spectacular. Definitely a threat to any challenger though. And with good range, her whip, gun and those legs of hers...oh my...those legs! She covers a lot of area with her attacks. A character for n00b abuse? No way!
Key Points:- Balanced speedster
60%A-40%L
Advantages: Fast, agile
Disadvantages: Lacks finishers, light
Potential: 92 Initially: 80%

- Pit would almost be at a top tier broken state if it weren't for his seemingly lightweight. He may have the best recovery available and with arrow-like lasers for a ranged weapon, he'll have to be approached quickly. He has the sword for priority and has speed to go with it. He's an angel so he's bound to have some sort of shielding/reflective move as a B attack. If his KO ability is on the mild side, balancing him may be easier. His hitboxes aren't massive so he won't be overwhelming in that aspect, but it's guaranteed that he won't be a bad smasher with everything else he has going for him. Speed with priority factor that out easily. A lot works in his favor and if he can do most of the attacking, he has everything going for him. Pit will immediately become a possible threat in anyone’s control. His recovery is exceptional, we don’t know the details but it’s probably at least good. Air fighters have a new number one competition.
Key Points:- Airial specialist
80%A-20%L
Advantages: Fast, agile, good recovery, priority
Disadvantages: Light, lacks finishers
Potential 97 Initially: 80%

- Mario may be the most balanced yet cheap character in the game. The flag was never truly fully appreciated and now FLUUD? Don't fall off when fighting Mario. The moved tornado is a nice change too. This opened up the possibility of his new envied move. Kudos M! And of course, a Doc alternate costume for his fans, Mario carries on the Fair trait well. He’s versatile and doesn’t have any highly exposed weaknesses. Because much of his smashing style is based on jumping and this game has more of an air combat and mobility focus, he should be an easy pick for everyone. He’s a balanced easy to use character with very few complications and tricky functions. He has as standard a MS as you can get. The basic angled recovery, a projectile and a couple of other unique moves. Whether it be the yet to appear cape that turns anything around and helps recover slightly or possibly his tornado Dair serving a recovery purpose as well. The bran new DownB is very innovative, but we don’t yet know of its uses or whether other attacks will remain or become something entirely different such as his classic dive-belly-slide. Mario is the standard for Smash again.
Key Points: - Balanced close range fighter
55% Air-45% Land
Advantages: Balanced, agile
Disadvantages: Poor recovery
Potential: 93 Initial Use: 75

- Ike is the new extremely bigass sword wielder to start in the roster. He has weight, strength (both stated) and massive priority just like an enhanced you-know-who from melee. The only down sides are his probable speed decreases. In wind-up, wind-down and in general movement. Say hello to a character that can compete with any. He's again one of those characters that doesn't really need to adapt to battle, but others adapt to fight him. With long swipes and power behind them, we may have the new standard main converting to him from his melee ancestors or...meet Ganon with a big sword minus the air KOs. Also, have fun keeping him off...great height recovery and immobility make him a threat from anywhere, on and off the stage.
Key Points:- Quick finisher heavy-weight
30%A-70%L
Advantages: Priority, heavy, good finishers
Disadvantages: Slow attacks, relatively slow movement
Potential: 88 Initially: 75

- Donkey Kong "makes a triumphant return" quoted straight from the man himself! Does this mean they worked on him? He's fast for a heavy-weight and it looks like his arms outreach Links sword! "don't underestimate his strength" again! For a big oaf he did well against the high/quick tier characters. This boost of strength (whether it's immobility, longer punches, massive throws, more weight or all of the above) I'll go on a limb and consider him a powerhouse not to be messed with. With a Nair with no delay and a revamped >B, he doesn't have much for weaknesses other than a lack of projectiles (well, maybe swords or projectiles). Watch out everywhere from n00bs to tourneys! The Jungle dweller is back.
Key Points:- Quick finisher heavy-weight
40%A-60%L
Advantages: Good finishers, heavy, agile
Disadvantages: Relatively slow attacks, poor recovery
Pote ntial 92 Initially: 70

- Bowser is back and bigger than ten of his enemies combined. His great size and weight make for quite the challenge at trying to hit him away. His strength can finish anyone in a few crushing blows and he can take a hundred before you can do the same to him. If immobility becomes a great factor for him, rendering his Bomb and Spin even more effective, he’ll be favored in many match-ups. His size allows for him to move from one point to another just as fast as a speed based character and his attacks cover lots of area. It’s not like you can just walk up to him with his big claws and horns. And he’s not slow enough to really be counted out of a match because of it. He’s going to be very difficult to knock off a stage. Bowser should not be taken lightly (punintendoed). It’s the generation of the fire breathing spiky shell.
Key Points:- Heavy-weight
30%A-70%L
Advantages: Heavy, good finishers
Disadvantages: Slow
Potential: 90 Initially: 70

- Meta Knight = Broken? He has been accused/compared to the Brawl version of Marth since the first trailer. Is that really fair? Is it far fetched? MK has priority, which is always an envied asset (+1). He’s got multiple jumps, what looks like a 3 attack recovery as a ForwardB and a Marth-like UpB (+1). He’s fast, can fight in the air and looks good lol (+1). He's floaty, but that's a good thing and a bad thing, as in he’ll probably be as dodgy and hard to hit as a regular puffball but at the same time he’s on the light-weight side. He has quick attacks with multi strokes, which also may be good and bad. This could serve as a lack of finishers but own the combo and damage side of the battle. By the looks of it, he is balanced, but in a unique way. Easy to be at first (probably tough to master), tough to beat (especially if you don’t know how), what we have here is another character that has to be controlled in battle. Don’t let momentum shift to his favor, it may prove to be a quick loss if you enter a battle unprepared. MK will have weak points, they’ll have to be exploited at all chances.
Key Points: - Arial specialist
70%A-30%L
Advantages: Mobile, good recovery, priority, fast attacks
Disadvantages: Lacks finishers, light
Potential: 96 Initially: 70

- Wario is already frowned upon but I think he'll be as good as any. G&W is a pain to fight and his weakness, light-weight! Wario is heavier and can possibly KO better but he still has the unpredictable teleporting movement as the shadow. He'll be a greater threat than he appears. We still don't know what he plays like but the biting thing was used of the ground and in the air so that may be his B (or one of those altered A attacks). I personally think a slam would fit his character well. An inflation for a bit of floating into a slam, possibly at a slight angle too, just to add to his odd-ness [and it's not yet a trait in ssb]. UpB Flop and DownB Waft. Waft and Flop Char Speciff Advance Tech lol The big mid-weight won't be easily disposed of. And what about that chopper? It could very well be a good recovery move as well. Whether it be used as a leap forward or just to bombard the stage roamers with a motorcycle...or both at once. He may be rarely mastered, but those who do will experiment much of his talent and his unique style.
Key Points:- Close range land specialist
40%A-60%L
Advantages: Good finishers, unpredictable, mid-heavy
Disadvantages: Relatively slow movement, relatively poor recovery
Potential: 90 Initially: 70

- Fox will be worse inevitably. With the game slowing, this eliminates much of the mind gaming speed of his attack. That'll soften him up plenty and I'm sure his UpSmash won't be as lethal either. His speed will non-the-less be a dominating factor to overwhelm his opposition and of course his great recovery allows for being a bit on the light side. He specializes in comboing whether it's to rack up damage or finish. It's almost a given that he'll be nerfed, only slightly, Only slightly. The essence of Fox is still strong and it hasn’t gone through much change.
Key Points:- Speedster
45%A-55%L
Advantages: Fast, good recovery, good finishers
Disadvantages: Light
Potential: 89 Initially: 65

- Diddy is balanced and the best word to describe him, as stated in his profile, “scramble!” Now here’s underrated. I think it’s something about the Kong family. Don't be against maining this monkey, he may be your best choice. He's fast, possibly strong and agile. Chances are he can combo and KO fairly well and he's unpredictable. He seems to like to cause havoc too. I'd give him more credit if I could see him move but as of now, he’s gonna be a challenge to beat if you’ve never mastered Diddy yourself. The only possible down side to Diddy (and it may be key to balancing him) is that he may be easily juggled, not light necessarily, but not defensive enough. Then again, he may be the new Mewtwo if that's the case *shocked* (I shouldn’t have said that word). Diddy has what it takes to win in any situation (and look good doing it). There isn’t much else that could possibly work against him.
40%A-60%L
Advantages: Fast, balanced, agile, unpredictable
Disadvantages: Lacks defense
Potential: 97 Initially: 65

- Zelda was underrated...well...under made really. Everything she does is lethal! Her tilts and smashes were huge with power and priority! You know what would make her better? A DownB that did something useful! She doesn't need a Ness DownB but just something weak, maybe slow, but with little knockback for setting up a bigger attack. That's all she lacks...but, by the looks of it (and what's really bringing her to the next level is) Priority INCREASE! Look at her Forward Smash pic, she's got as much range as Links new ssb64 huge sword swipe! She doesn't move much but you can't get to her. Zelda’s coming for retribution!
Key Points: - Quick finisher land specialist
20%A-80%L
Advantages: Good finishers, priority, good recovery
Disadvantages: Slow movement, lacks mobility, light
Potential: 88 Initially: 65

- Yoshi could beat the good characters in melee. He was a good pick against top tier and did well against anyone. You couldn't shinespike him, he could combo well, good (underrated) firepower that could top many (how many people wanted to throw Links bomb at an angle sometimes? I know I did!), he had good finishers and the best slam. He'd do really well the whole core of the battle even with his short/slow throw and average speed. He was heavy enough to battle longer than most but he just...couldn’t...WIN! Why? Secondary survival! And now look! They've opened up for possibly a new >B with Wario taking his roll and making it a Chopper or even just improving the Egg Roll will do wonders. And of course, his envied Egg Toss is used for something else now! Bombing the edgegaurder with eggs as you (immovably) come back anyone? THIS!! is gonna be quite a Yoshi loving and fearing smash bros!
Key Points:- Balanced heavy-weight
50%A-50%L
Advantages: Relatively heavy, balanced
Disadvantages: Relatively slow attack wind-down
Potential: 95 Initially: 60

- Samus was a regular long range finisher. This was great and complemented her high knockback priority boots. She could survive from almost anywhere off the platform with bombs, grapple and huge jumping action. When well played, she won't let anyone get to her, let alone KO her. Samus is a force and is coming back in what looks like the same general format. She had less of an animation change than all but Kirby. If she doesn't change her style much, with the game slowing and becoming more air mobile, she'll only be better suited. (no pun intended) How do you fight someone with a gun and armor from the space age? No matter where you are, she can finish you off.
Key Points:- Long range specialist
35%A-65%L
Advantages: Good projectiles, good finishers, good recovery
Disadvantages: Slow movement and attack wind-down

- Kirby was my favorite in melee but he sucked. I can't stand being him when fighting good players because he's useless, (for the most part). I guess that's why I always played as him for a challenge. He needs a better stone, more sucking range, faster hammer, a forward and back throw that CAN'T be pulled out and higher reach when he's floating to the edge (for some reason his arms shrink?) Kirby needs GLORY! Quicker attacks with less wind-up will bring Kirby high on the tier. Maybe Shuffling will actually be possible. Then what? Dair edgeguards from back in the ssb64 days? Air combat has been given more of a focus and that’s basically what Kirby is, air. Watch out for this pink puffball. He dominated this Smash World once, he can do it again. He’s light and that will prove to be his weak spot. A Kirby specialist won’t be easy to hit and can dish it out quickly with a variety of attacks. He’s smoothly agile in the air but not hard to catch. Kirby will be good at finishing and dealing damage. This may come as a surprise but it’s really what Kirby will be best at once his evasion is factored out. His recovery is good and his one projectile has unique functions. He can turn into a stone and if it’s between his last two appearances effectiveness, it will be very harmful to those below. Maybe some speed to the hammer and of course his copying is extremely unique. He may be one of the reliable characters when it comes to winning a match-up.
Key Points:- Survivor
60% A-40%L
Advantages: Good recovery, mobile, finishing ability
Disadvantages: Light, relatively slow movement

- Pikachu was underrated as well. The best way for him be get attention would be an UpB with no lag before or after the attack. His DownB was one of the most versatile and unique, his B is a great projectile and his ForwardB...well. That's where small upgrades come in. The Skull Bash or bran new move may be the key to his new dominance. A good damager and finisher, Pikachu is balanced and can put up a fight against anyone he's in battle with. He's quick, agile and small (aka tough to knee) He'll be good in this trilogy yet.
50%A-50%L
Advantages: Fast, balanced, agile, good recovery
Disadvantages: Slightly light-weight
Potential: 98 Initially: 60

- Ice Climbers are here for the second time, and look great. The almighty duo didn’t get much respect but hopefully their new look, new stage and new adjustments will earn them some. The character that really opened the Smash Bros world to new ideals and methods deserves more credit. With freezing abilities being more effective (no high % needed) and some good old WO(...not wobbling) WORK to fix them up a bit, they’re going to be (again) fun and effective. And maybe if the non-player IC (Nana) could have slight changes in it’s play, they would be even more appreciated. They rack up damage and have many possibilities in terms of finishing and combos. Since there are two of them, battles can go either way at any time. One of the most unique characters, the Ice Climbers will dominate if you don’t be careful.
Key Points:
- Tactical fighter
40%A-60%L
Advantages: Agile, slight priority, two characters on the feild at once
Disadvantages: Poor recovery when duo is split, relatively light
Potential: 93 Initially: 60

- Link was the most underrated meleeer. He truly was top or near top tier. I know, "it's not possible." Look at the match-ups, Link vs whoever...Link stands at least a chance. At full potential, he can beat anyone. It's rare that a Link will be at full potential (aka the best of them all) as he's much harder to master as a character than someone like a simple speedster. Now with these adjustments, the arrow becomes a greater factor to add to his already great arsenal of fire-power (including a possibly even more effective boomwang). His Dair lost the bounce so an L-canceled Dair will be even quicker to recover from. People complained about lag...well this will help more than it seems. Link will be one of the toughest to beat, one of the toughest to truly be great with and of course, n00b abused.
Key Points:- Long range fighter
30%A-70%L
Advantages: Good projectiles, priority, good finishers
Disadvantages: Not defensive, lacks attack speed
Potential: 99 Initially: 55

- Peach was possibly the most frustrating character to fight. With radishes, great recovery and some great attacks close up, she could rack up damage and kill in a flash. Her extremely useful and reserved only for her floating abilities give her unlimited options in battle. Her only weakness was really her light weight, but that was irrelevant if you were on a stage with lots of recovery room. It was quite effective to hit her downwards, though not many characters could do so. This time around, all she needs is for that Down Smash of hers to have this new altered use come into effect and have the trait of lifting her about ten body lengths up and she can now use it in the air (You can’t DI out either). Peach...(aka DownA) will continue to compete with her same style an abilities. The Princess and her clubs will still be a force.
Key Points: - Air specialist
70%A-30%L
Advantages: Mobile, good finishers, good recovery
Disadvantages: Light
Potential: 91 Initially: 55

- Snake has fire power coming out his well popularized *** (and not Wario-like in any way.) With homing missiles, what looks like a great recovery and his special Smash attacks, he can’t not be noticed as a unique character. The first character that actually has an attack where he can plant something...and it’s a Smash attack? Snake is plenty versatile and considering he’ll be mainly and ground planted fighter (for the most part), he’s going to be a pain to fight. Can’t be too far for too long. With explosives all over, he’ll cause havoc and have to be watched. Not only at what he’s doing, but everything around him. He’s a regular person with bombs. His greatest weakness may be in the air. If you can keep him up there, he should be easier to handle. He’s not the fastest character but he obviously can finish and chances are, he can do it many different ways. That makes everywhere unsafe. Close up, he may have difficulty defending himself. He’s easy to maneuver around but not easy to approach head-on. If you let him stay on the offensive, he’ll be quite the challenge.
Key Points:- Long range land specialist
20%A-80%L
Advantages: Good finishers, good projectiles
Disadvantages: Lacks agility
Potential: 94 Initially: 55

- Pokemon Trainer...what? Actually, I joked about Ash (Red) and thought this concept would be hilarious...until they added PT and it was somehow cool. As far as smashing...if you don't know how to use em', you don't know how to fight em' and you won't know what hit you. But if you're good with em' you'll compete with anyone. It's like having Ridley, Pickachu and um...another thing in one character. Take your pick and if one doesn't work against the char/player you’re fighting at the time, switch! And if you master all three and time the changes right (ex: Squirtle takes em' on racking up damage in combos being well rounded etc...Ivysaur hucks em' off the edge and blasts them with fire power, speed and edgeguarding tactics and if that doesn't finish em'...Charizard can take some more damage so he can KO them with his strength quickly.), PT could be nearly unbeatable. And if one tactic back fires, change tactics! You have 3 characters to work with! Saki says: "You have to master them all to become a true Pokemon Master.” So be it...Train with PT = Dominate with PT.
Key Points:- Tactical fighter
Squirtle(1), Ivysaur(2), Charizard(3)
(1)40%A-60%L, (2)20%A-80%L, (3)40%A-60%L
Advantages: Versatile (1)fast, good recovery, agile, balanced, (2)fast, good projectiles, good finishers, (3)heavy, good recovery, good projectiles, good finishers
Disadvantages: Stamina restriction (1)light, (2)lacks recovery, lacks agility, (3)slow
Potential: 88 Initially: 50

If you want, these are my thoughts which I have posted over the last...month? Combined and added to. Read on the character you like and give me your thoughts, perhaps I will consider them;) maybe not:p
lol jk
Seriously though,
Edition #1

Incase of outside interest, I will be searching for MY THOUGHTS that I've posted in the "Who is returning" section and will be doing that soon.

My predictions on the FULL ROSTER, (no summary)

Samus - Zamus - Ridley
Krystal - Fox - Wolf
Meta Knight - Kirby - Dedede
DK - Diddy
Ike - Marth
Link - Zelda - Ganon - CSLink - Sheik
Pikachu - PT - Jiggs - Mewtwo
Mario - Peach - Bowser - Luigi - Bowser Jr
Lucas - Ness
C Olimar
Pit
Smashkid
Balloon Fighter
Little Mac
Mach Rider
Isaac
C Falcon
Yoshi
Wario
Ice Climbers
G&W
Sonic - Snake - Megaman

44 Total
Complete Balance
Brawl

:grin:

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Also, I have an idea for one more char type:

It goes like this; say somebody is allowed to summon up to three or four sentinent units, like mini satellites, to follow him around. Now they can't attack on their own. Their only purpose is to allow B moves and an FS.

For instance, let's say we have a Magnezone character (HIGHLY UNLIKELY!)

And his B move is to summon Magnemites. Now, these Magnemites can't attack on their own, they just follow Magnezone around. However, if Magnezone uses his B^, BV, B>, or his Final Smash, the Magnemites come into play.

How does that sound?
That sounds exactly like Captain Olimar. Hey, what a coincidence, he'll most likely be in Brawl.

Would you say melee was balanced? At least more than most games?
When this team, (the one that has impressed you before with the freakin amazing game) says they'll focus on something, I expect them to.

Edit: I'll say it again.Snake SUCKS
I'll back my statement up if you have an argument worth debating that states he wont.
I would say that Melee was not balanced. I will admit that it is balanced relative to the extreme amount of diversity which was included. But seriously, if you're a Shiek against ICs on FD, you might as well throw in the towel. Melee was far from balanced because several of the characters can't be used effectively against those who are played most frequently. If you want to stand a chance at winning a tournament, you pick a character who is better than the majority of others. Also, if Mr. Sakurai says he'll focus on balancing a game, I don't doubt that he and his team will TRY, I doubt that they will SUCCEDE.

OK, I've got a reason why Snake will not suck: Miyamoto and Kojima are great friends outside and inside the business world, and have been for a long time. There was much talk about how Snake could be successfully inserted into a fighting game like Smash, and it was stated by Sakurai (I believe it was Sakurai, but it was in an interview with Miyamoto and Sakurai) that for the case of Solid Snake, you need someone to whome you can trust with your character to do the absolute best possible job on that character. It'd be a *****-slap to the face if Snake sucked, which is why he won't.

I'm predicting high tier for Snake. Amazing, high-priority offense which requires moderate technical feats, spacing, and planning, but combined with difficulty in defending self and a predictable, easily thwarted recovery which is otherwise very good. Starting to sound a heck of a lot like Gannondorf, who we know is - oh that's right - high tier.

P,S, rAt, you rockzors too! :)

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Rhyme - Olimar, the first word I said after that post
Snake like Ganon, that's again what I said
Match-ups and tiers etc...you might as well just had quoted me.

You sound like you're arguing but you're basically agreeing :confused:

Edit: going to play a show, good night brawl boards/rhyme (who seems to be the only other in this thread :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom