• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Wario is going to be ground based with wacky specials. I have a feeling his air game will be especially laggy with underwhelming power attributed to the relative slowness of the attack.

Most of his finishers I feel will be on the ground. And his running speed does not look that slow, though it is decieving with the unusual frame rate.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Because you haven't been a member for very long and/or haven't looked hard enough?
Yes there has been many stuff about Toad before.
I'm gonna start one then
...I'm not sure whether I understand your logic.

Also, I think Wario will be like a flipped Luigi. Generally sluggish but not exactly Ganondorf-slow, slow but kinda strong aerial game and very strong ground game.

Sensai

Smash Master
Roy_owns, your logic is beyond us.

And Ganon's got a great air game but not much of a ground game. You've got 'em flipped.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I never said he didn't. I said Ganondorf is slow.
Well, I guess I formulated it kind of confusingly. Give me a break, I'm tired!

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
That makes no sense at all. Ganondorf=Mewtwo..?
They are two seperate franchises and had different movesets in melee. Not gonna happen.
(I know C.Falcon and Ganondorf were seperate series too...don't try and say that)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm not gonna make any assumptions right now, because for all we know ganondorf might not even be in the game.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I'm predicting Wario's air game to be much like Bowsers. Laggy but strong if you can get the shot in. But his ground game will be where it's at, he might have a couple strong finishers. Also, I can't see his specials being all that great. But I don't know that for sure. I guess I'll wait until the game comes out.

Oh, that's right I forgot... I CAN'T WAIT! omgomgomgomgomgomg I WANA PLAY NOWWWWW!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Snake will be too slow to be like Cap'n. Snake, to me, seems like a slower powerful version of Sheik. Very methodical, and can make small combos easily, but will rack up damage quicker. A good example of that is in the second trailer when he whoops Link on that platform. None of his moves were fast and it wasn't a ten-hit combo, but they all connected and it looks like Link got his keister handed to him regardless.

I personally can't wait to play as Snake. But first I'm playing as Meta Knight. And then Pit right after that. I'll get around to Wario and Zamus eventually I suppose.

Dude, IMO, Mario has the cheapest smash fA. I seem to get caught on the tipper of his fire extension all the time. Also, Mario (and Doctor Mario) have a wicked "wall of pain" with their aerial bA. I think Mario is basically as balanced as any character can be.
Dude,are you kidding?

Mario's Fair has have to be one of the most crappiest ever.

It has about 30 frames of start up lag,small hit box,and ending lag is weak as well.And the move isn't even a A spike,it's a meteor which can be cancelled easily.Mario has very little KO ability,which forces him to kill the enemy at high percentages.His F-smash has a sweet spot,which further reduces the chances of him getting a KO.

A good example of a cheap Forward Aerial is Shiek's.

Very little Start up lag,inflicts heavy damage,L-cancel lag is extremely low,Good range,and has a deadly horizontal arch when you hit the opponent off stage.Due to it's low lag it can be helpful with edge gaurding as well.

Now compare Shiek's to Mario's.Which one is truly cheap?

Vali

Smash Ace
Erm Phoenix when he wrote "the cheapest smash fA" I think he meant the forward smash, hence the fire tipper. He wasn't talking about Fair.

Vali

Smash Ace
Erm Phoenix when he wrote "the cheapest smash fA" I think he meant the forward smash, hence the fire tipper. He wasn't talking about Fair.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I remember squealing a little when Snake used that RPG at a downward angle towards the ground. Perhaps he'll be a technical fighter who can fire at the enemy after striking it away, or can use his projectiles at unepected moments...

Rhyme

Smash Lord
I just had an idea.

What if Snake's shield was a cardboard box? GENIUS!
It can't shrink like a bubble shield, nor can it crack like Yoshi's egg shield, so I don't believe it would make a good shield for Snake. However, I could easily envision that move as a counter of some sort.

Didn't see any comments about this morning's update yet, but with Yoshi's music on the Dojo, can we please take Yoshi off the semi-confirmed now...PLEASE? He's obviously in the game, I don't know anyone who wouldn't bet any amount of money on that.

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
Didn't see any comments about this morning's update yet, but with Yoshi's music on the Dojo, can we please take Yoshi off the semi-confirmed now...PLEASE? He's obviously in the game, I don't know anyone who wouldn't bet any amount of money on that.
While it may be obvious that Yoshi is in, he's still not officially confirmed until we either see footage of him in the game, he gets a profile on the official site or he is officially confirmed by Sakurai in another way. So no, I don't think we can take off the "Semi-Confirmed" list yet, much I'd like that to happen.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if one of this week's site updates WAS Yoshi, so we'll just have to wait and see...

jb254

Smash Apprentice
Maybe the reason Yoshi keeps being hinted at but never officially confirmed is because he has some major redesign meant to surprise us. I can picture it now, Yoshi in a mech-battlesuit!!!

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
the tech skills with the rocket launcher, would be cool if you could tech chase. if not good luck getting that off on a good player:)(ground tech away:) )

Fawriel

Smash Master
Or maybe they just don't show Yoshi because he's just not that popular.
They also haven't shown Donkey Kong. Or Luigi. Heck, they haven't even really shown SAMUS! Is SHE "semi-confirmed" as well?!

Fawriel

Smash Master
Well, I didn't say he wasn't popular... but not quite the level of Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Samus and DK, I think. I might be wrong about some, but except for the occasional Wario, Pit and Metaknight, they don't show anyone but the most popular characters.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
It can't shrink like a bubble shield, nor can it crack like Yoshi's egg shield, so I don't believe it would make a good shield for Snake. However, I could easily envision that move as a counter of some sort.
Oh come now Rhyme, it's a video game, they can make a cardboard box shatter if they really wanted to, and that's exactly what I think they'll do with it. It will be his sheild, will cover his whole body, will turn darker with each hit, and then shatter when broken. Very much like Yoshi's shield.

Saw it, love it, can't wait to hear it in-game. Is it just me, or does it look like it could fit so easily at Delfino Plaza? I know it won't be in there because they would have said, but just play Yoshi's Story: End and look at the pictures of Delfino Plaza. Synchs up well IMO.

However, I don't think it's fair to say he's confirmed yet. Just because they had Balloon Fight music in Melee, doesn't mean Balloon Fighter was part of the lineup. I know this isn't the same, Yoshi was in the other two games and Yoshi's stages are already confirmed and Balloon Fighter has none of that, but it's running off the same basis.

I KNOW 99% Yoshi will make the cut, but he hasn't yet, and fact of the matter is he has a chance not to. So we need to keep him where he is for the time being. We'll know when we can switch him. And we'll all love it! :)

Or maybe they just don't show Yoshi because he's just not that popular.
They also haven't shown Donkey Kong. Or Luigi. Heck, they haven't even really shown SAMUS! Is SHE "semi-confirmed" as well?!
Yoshi is TOTALLY popular. He's the best character in that whole series IMO. He rips up Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party. Not to mention he's starred in incredible games: Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's ____, etc.). His time will come, and we all just need to sit back, relax, and wait for it optomistically.

And Samus isn't "semi-"confirmed. She IS confirmed, we just havn't seen any gameplay footage of her. Only that short snippet in the first trailer, and that image of her pointing her blaster at our faces.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Yhea Yoshi is great if they made a multiplayer four swords type (Wi-fi) game for him on the DS that would rock.

Anyway if they could make his up b better and make him less slippery he would be much better.

GenG

Smash Lord
Yoshi needs at least one more jump to overcome the lack of a proper returning move (Pit has 4 jumps AND a returning move). That, and a stronger Rolling Egg.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Side B should be replaced with something cool that gives him a bit of a recovery boost, like the cape.
And the grab needs to be fixed badly. The speed/range ratio is just all messed up.
That plus the PAL changes and Yoshi gains a few thousand tiers. Or maybe, like, 3. Places. Within tiers. But still!

Sensai

Smash Master
They could still use the Egg Roll thing as his side B, they just need to make it not drop as quickly as it does right now.

[Edit:]

Also, they need to allow him to jump out of a shield. That is seriously, honestly, IMO, the one thing that keeps him from being a decent character.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Back...With nothing to show for it!

How'd I know you'd all be talking about Yoshi?

Anyway. Yoshi. Yes.

His Up+B is fine, but I'd rather it come with the cross-hairs and a straight flight path, rather than the current analog sensitivity thing. And his Side+B is fine too, except that he needs to have a bit more traction, because falling off ledges stinks.

The only thing really "wrong"with Yoshi right now is his stupidly laggy running grab. Fix that, and he'd be great. Oh, and he doesn't need another jump...but they should extend his flutter-jump more, and maybe add a pseudo-hover effect to his Egg Throw (like Pound or Mario's Cape).

Also, what's all this about differences in the PAL Melee? I've heard about it, but is it anything major, or just statistic upgrades (2% more damage, higher jump etc.).

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Also, they need to allow him to jump out of a shield. That is seriously, honestly, IMO, the one thing that keeps him from being a decent character.
My turn...Quoted For Truth!

His Up+B is fine, but I'd rather it come with the cross-hairs and a straight flight path, rather than the current analog sensitivity thing. And his Side+B is fine too, except that he needs to have a bit more traction, because falling off ledges stinks.

The only thing really "wrong"with Yoshi right now is his stupidly laggy running grab. Fix that, and he'd be great. Oh, and he doesn't need another jump...but they should extend his flutter-jump more, and maybe add a pseudo-hover effect to his Egg Throw (like Pound or Mario's Cape).

Also, what's all this about differences in the PAL Melee? I've heard about it, but is it anything major, or just statistic upgrades (2% more damage, higher jump etc.).
I guess his upB would still be original if they gave it a range/aiming system like in Yoshi's Island. It's still a relatively weak projectile that can be aimed, plus it'd more accurately represent the game it came from.

If you have a problem with his running grab, just jump cancel the grab. I'd like for the rolling egg to be scrapped all together. Don't know what they'd put in its place, but almost anything would be an improvement. -crosses fingers for a counter, which would never be added.- A hovering effect would be nice for his egg as well.

The only real difference I know of from NTSC to PAL is that Yoshi rose about two rankings on the "Character Weight" attribute.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
I don't think the average Smash player knows how to jump cancel. :/

Another change to his Roll should have it either faster (and therefore harder to control), or alternatively, have more knockback so a freshly-spawned Link doesn't Nair you out of it right after you hit 'im.

Sensai

Smash Master
Why would you jump cancel his grab...? The running animation is one of the two grab animations that's shorter then the standing one (see Samus).

And the whole cross hairs and straight shooting Up B thing is a great idea, with one glaringly big problem: it'd be busted. It would be the ultimate edge gaurding move...unless it ended a little earlier then I'm imagining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom