• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawriel

Smash Master
10000 Fires? Is it called that?

My guess is that, in Japanese, if the Brawl Attacks/Super Smashes have names, Mario's will be called Hanabi. Whoever can tell why I think so gets a cookie with awesome-sprinkles.

Vali

Smash Ace

My guess is that, in Japanese, if the Brawl Attacks/Super Smashes have names, Mario's will be called Hanabi. Whoever can tell why I think so gets a cookie with awesome-sprinkles.
Was it anything to do with the fireflowers from the Mario platformers? (in Japanese obviously)

Edit: Google Hanabi yields Fireworks in like 2 seconds, it's not exactly hard. However it's more literal translation is "Fire + Flowers" or something to that extent which could tie into the whole Fireflowers lets you shoot "fireworks" or fireball theme.

Morphie

Smash Rookie

Hanabi = Fireworks. Go go cookie.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Aww, Vali, you cheater! You get to share a cookie with Morphie because he didn't say that Hanabi is a pun that explains why flowers make Mario shoot fire.

Morphie

Smash Rookie
Aww, Vali, you cheater! You get to share a cookie with Morphie because he didn't say that Hanabi is a pun that explains why flowers make Mario shoot fire.
That makes it much cooler. Knowing the full explanation makes me hope they call it that, just to be clever.

Vali

Smash Ace
What else was I meant to do? Use my fluent Japanese? :chuckle: Besides I did have to work out the whole fireflower thing :(

Morphie

Smash Rookie
What else was I meant to do? Use my fluent Japanese? :chuckle: Besides I did have to work out the whole fireflower thing :(
I'm the one who cheated. As is evident by the fact that Vali got it right and I got what you'd get from hit #1 on Google. =)

Sensai

Smash Master
How about they're not named anything, or we just call them Supers?

It's not like we call any specific moves anything, save Fair, Bair, etc...

Except The Knee. And Sheik's Fair, which is always, without fail, referred to as 'Sheik's Fair'. But you get my point.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Well, considering just HOW special those things are... and also, all the B moves have names after all. Naming them would be appropriate. Not exactly NECESSARY, but who cares about that?

Vali

Smash Ace
That "Triforce Slash" was really disappointing. I was hoping that Link would just put his sword away and when you next press A you do the dreaded Mortal Draw :grin:. That'd have "Link for top tier" all over it. Plus I think it's great to name the super smashes as by nature they differentiate themselves from regular moves.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Well I doubt they'll put "Super Smashes" in tournament play for the reason that some peoples SS's are going to be way more powerful and effective than others. (aka: imbalanced!) Also, the Smash Emblem is an item. No items in tourny play, therefore they wouldn't alter the tiers at all.

*Side-note*
I was playing SSB64 for the first time in a long while and I noticed how much more balanced that game is compared to SSBM! Everyone is just as strong and fast as everyone else, there are a few unfair advantages though, like Ness' throw distance and Kirby's spike and DK's grab range, but other than that, everyone competes with everyone. If they want to make Brawl a dominant game, they need to take a page from their first game.

Vali

Smash Ace
You really think they're going to balance characters without super smashes in mind? They've been intergrated since near the beginning of production no doubt, it won't be just a tacked on afterthought. Of course some super smashes will be better than others like some characters range is better than others and denying certain characters super smashes will probably affect the tiers balance worse than if they'd be left in.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
They wouldn't deny anyone a Super Smash. That wouldn't be fair. I'm just stoked to see them all! I wonder if they'll be a CG or if you'll actually have to pull them off? Why havn't they shown Pikachu's yet? Are they all going to do massive damage or will they auto K.O.? That's really what I'm looking for!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'm expecting the Super Smashes (no matter what they're named) to just do alot of damage. OHKOs wouldn't be fun, would they?

They also need to be avoidable, which can be accomplished one of two ways. Either handle it like the Clash of Ninja games do and have a "special attack" maneuver (like a kick or a punch) that's used in real-time; if it connects, the game pauses and a cinematic of the user's special plays through, then the game resumes. The other way (the way I'd prefer) would be to have all attacks take place in real time.

So when you see Mario winding up his Super Smash, you can jump away before it hits. Or when you see Link flying towards you, surrounded by a golden light, you can sheild-roll through his attack and counter with an attack of your own.

You know how annoying it is when one person in your group won't stop pausing to look at every little thing? And then you end up missing an attack because he unpaused and you weren't ready for it? Yeah, that'd be what happens if the Super Smashes are just cinematics.

P.S. There also can't be any SSs that hit everyone without fail. How cheap would that be?

Venom_7

Smash Cadet
I think it will just be a real time attack and it would make more sense that way anyway.

Vali

Smash Ace
All I can think of is how god**** cheap Mario's super smash will be for edgeguarding. Seriously, huge range and hit area means you'd have no choice but to airdodge which is a bit of a problem during the middle of your recovery towards the stage >.>

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So a Site that got 7 different languages, a complete overhaul on the site and Daily updates is not considered "MAJOR?"

You people never cease to amaze me.
Well, considering the site has less, yes less information than before it isn't worth being called MAJOR.

i think we'll learn more of special abilities in the item section when we are introduced to the cool orb item unleashing the characters specials
That might just be part of the trailer.

Well I doubt they'll put "Super Smashes" in tournament play for the reason that some peoples SS's are going to be way more powerful and effective than others. (aka: imbalanced!) Also, the Smash Emblem is an item. No items in tourny play, therefore they wouldn't alter the tiers at all.
Anything unbalanced like that will be undoubtedly removed from tournament play, just as stages have been banned.

You really think they're going to balance characters without super smashes in mind? They've been intergrated since near the beginning of production no doubt, it won't be just a tacked on afterthought. Of course some super smashes will be better than others like some characters range is better than others and denying certain characters super smashes will probably affect the tiers balance worse than if they'd be left in.
If SS' are items, then yes.

I think it will just be a real time attack and it would make more sense that way anyway.
Link's SS isn't real time, neither is Kirby's.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
A dirty thought didn't cross my mind until you said the gutter part. Now that you've said that though, I couldn't possibly think of any other meaning to the "can't wait to get my hands on him" bit.
Same here.

Ha! By the power of the typo, I win!

"Chief Bitorez Mendez"? Don't you mean "Cheif Bitores Mendez"? Exactly.
Owned.

**** I just hope that they'll put some new info concerning stages or game modes, but yea I think we will see something "major" in the upcoming days (or weeks)
The "Game Modes" section is most interesting to me at the moment. Also, I doubt there will be straight character additions from now until already confirmed characters are exhausted. We'll probably get two game modes tomorrow, then an explination of a few items the next day, and have the weekend to prepare a nice character page, maybe four or so. That'd be nice.

How about they're not named anything, or we just call them Supers?

It's not like we call any specific moves anything, save Fair, Bair, etc...

Except The Knee. And Sheik's Fair, which is always, without fail, referred to as 'Sheik's Fair'. But you get my point.
"The Knee" is Justice, Shiek's Fair is the "Godsmack".

*Side-note*
I was playing SSB64 for the first time in a long while and I noticed how much more balanced that game is compared to SSBM! Everyone is just as strong and fast as everyone else, there are a few unfair advantages though, like Ness' throw distance and Kirby's spike and DK's grab range, but other than that, everyone competes with everyone. If they want to make Brawl a dominant game, they need to take a page from their first game.
I doubt brawl attacks will be any part of tournament play. You can't have some characters who's brawl attack affects one person, and others who attack everyone. That'd unballance 1v1s and especially team play. Also, DK wasn't exactly high on the Smash64 tier list, so that grab range was fair I'd say. The only way it was unfair was against Kirby (infinite to death) and even then, all other characters it was fine.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Red Exodus: They (Kirby and Link's SSs) might not hopefully aren't non-realtime. We've only seen SSs used in one pre-rendered trailer. A trailer meant to be cinematic and attention-grabbing, I might add.

So don't write them off as being canned cinematics yet.

EDIT - Remember that the press embargo is lifted on Friday (8AM PST/11AM EST/12PM Japan Time...gettin' good at that, aren't I?), so I wouldn't be surprised if the dojo updates to include everything that was shown(playable?) at the summit.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Mendez is right Red, there's no way of telling how everyone's Super Smash will be executed. Personally I see them all to most likely be real-time. There will probably be some sort of epic/scary/intense music that coincides with the powered up character playing so we know the time frame. We've seen Mario's in action, as for Link's and Kirby's, I picture them to go something like this...

Link's SS: Link is given the ability to "glide" across platform at a much quicker rate. When he chooses a victim, he attacks them with whatever button, and becomes either invincible or untouchable through the flailing of his sword swipes while he is suspended in mid-air hacking at his victim trapped betwixt two Triforce symbols.

Kirby's SS: Kirby set's up a pot wherever he is standing, puts on his chef hat and goes on a rampage. This might work something like a minigame, he has to catch an opponent with his B and spit them into the pot, where they rack up massive amounts of damage from the boiling water.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
In the games, Kirby's chef hat allows him to call up a pot, and dump all enemies (and in the case of certain characters, their projectiles) into a pot and cook them into food for him to eat.

Kirby is a pink caniball, he just learned how to cook now

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
In the games, Kirby's chef hat allows him to call up a pot, and dump all enemies (and in the case of certain characters, their projectiles) into a pot and cook them into food for him to eat.

Kirby is a pink caniball, he just learned how to cook now
But did the enemies just fly into the pot automatically, or did he have to catch each one separately?

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
he clanged a spoon and, i think it was a spatula, together and the enemies were drawn into the pot automatically. It was all one animation, no work required from the player, aside from activating the power initially

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
he clanged a spoon and, i think it was a spatula, together and the enemies were drawn into the pot automatically. It was all one animation, no work required from the player, aside from activating the power initially
Well...they'd have to change that for Brawl then. No insta-hits, plees.

Sensai

Smash Master
X-x-Dyce-x-X said:
I was playing SSB64 for the first time in a long while and I noticed how much more balanced that game is compared to SSBM!
You sound like someone who works for Blizzard; making everyone broken doesn't mean a game is more balanced. Yes, Smash 64 is more balanced then Melee, but it's only because every single character in that game is busted in some way, shape, or form.

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
You sound like someone who works for Blizzard; making everyone broken doesn't mean a game is more balanced. Yes, Smash 64 is more balanced then Melee, but it's only because every single character in that game is busted in some way, shape, or form.
lol you reminded me of how my shaman on wow was once rigged! Then I quit when it was no more...

Red Exodus

Smash Master
SSB64 isn't balanced. 0-death comboes anyone? Ness being the only character with a side B? Super powered grabs on some characters?

The only reason it seems balanced is because there's only 12 characters, if it was 26 I'm sure the range from stupidly underpowered and god tier-ly overpowered would be filled quite easily.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That doesn't change the fact he has more moves than other characters, the point is his is the only one that has a side B. Using side B on any other character will result in nothing happening.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
From what I understand, Dyce's world has Link with the only overB that changes anything by smashing it (Smash64). I think this ability was given to Link because there's no reason you shouldn't be able to control a throwing projectile with which Link has such a high proficiency.

On the other hand, Red Exodus says that Ness from that same game is the only one with a sideB that changes by smashing it. I don't think Ness' overB changed animation or function by smashing the stick, but it did change in midair (just pointing out the obvious here).

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Uh, yeah. I'm not the guy to ask about the intricacies of SSB64 (it's been years), but I did main Ness when I played it...and he only had his sheild, fire and thunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom