• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive players won't dominate???

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
We all know that the more experienced player will still win, but with the ousting of most advanced techniques, the less experienced player will lose, but not OHKO'd by a bunch of cancel-combos...Honestly, I think competitive smash would be more fun without these...

The only problem I have with competitive smash is the Final Destination, no items, Fox/Falco only, and tech-spamming made it so monotonous that I quit...I'll probably get back into competitive smash with Brawl, but if you "real competitive" players don't like it, then stay out of competitive smash...I'm sick of the whining, and those that don't care or are happier without the Melee-competitive will reap the benefits...Sakurai, you must've recovered...

Mr.C

Smash Master
Noobs will always be noobs.....but Mr.C will always own.

I hope this clears things out for all of you.

<3

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
We all know that the more experienced player will still win, but with the ousting of most advanced techniques, the less experienced player will lose, but not OHKO'd by a bunch of cancel-combos...Honestly, I think competitive smash would be more fun without these...

The only problem I have with competitive smash is the Final Destination, no items, Fox/Falco only, and tech-spamming made it so monotonous that I quit...I'll probably get back into competitive smash with Brawl, but if you "real competitive" players don't like it, then stay out of competitive smash...I'm sick of the whining, and those that don't care or are happier without the Melee-competitive will reap the benefits...Sakurai, you must've recovered...
Wow you have no idea what you're talking about >.>

I'm sad that tech skill is gone cause it'll make it harder for less experienced people to beat more experienced people (tech skill closes skill gaps IMO).

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Wow you have no idea what you're talking about >.>

I'm sad that tech skill is gone cause it'll make it harder for less experienced people to beat more experienced people (tech skill closes skill gaps IMO).
How can those techniques close a skill gap? L-canceling and wavedashing take a lot of practice and playing to use efficiently and as second nature.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
Gotta love the hate in this thread.

Get a grip people.

Has anyone actually thought about helping the casuals who want to play competitively?

Or are you afraid they might actually learn, get it right, then kick yer sorry ***?

"noobs", as you're calling them, sure, they might not learn in order to call it cheap. Ok, those people ARE cheap for not practicing. But who says they can't learn? Oh, yeah. They do.

But then, let's look at a different perspective again. The competitive people. Quit complaining and start helping, cuz there's a few people in-between pro and joe that might actually be worth something.

So I hope that when Brawl comes out and this online thing starts, people can meet up with pros who are willing to teach.

And then we're all(most) on the same level.

But, I understand, there will always be the noob and the NOOBKILLAH. But I don't understand why we can't bridge a gap. Brawl seems to let you play as whoever you want to this time around. There will always be better characters to play as, but it seems to be not such a large distance...... yet.

Only a few people have the game so far. We shouldn't even be having this discussion right now; maybe 4 months from now, yes yes.

But really, just because someone is thinking wrong doesn't give you a reason to say that they should "die".
Just my two cents. If I can learn, I'm willing to teach anyone who's willing to learn as well, even if I'm afraid they'll get better and kick my ***. If they don't have the spirit, kick theirs a few times and let them off the hook.

So go ahead and post the "Stop Posting" thing in response to me as well, if you are inclined and see a reason to do so.

edit: lol censor didn't work. I took the time to censor myself, cuz I got carried away there....

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone actually thought about helping the casuals who want to play competitively?

Or are you afraid they might actually learn, get it right, then kick yer sorry ***?
I hope you're joking. We're willing to help anyone as long as they want our help. There's a reason why some competitive players have written guides to characters and even put out videos on how to do advanced techniques.

The only time we're not welcoming to people is when they come in here and bad mouth our style of play.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
I hope you're joking. We're willing to help anyone as long as they want our help. There's a reason why some competitive players have written guides to characters and even put out videos on how to do advanced techniques.

The only time we're not welcoming to people is when they come in here and bad mouth our style of play.
Nah, I wasn't joking, but I guess it goes along with the other points I mentioned, like the ones who will always complain..

I'm not great, but the reason I'm not practicing right now is because Brawl seems different from Melee and I haven't even played it yet. I'll practice when it comes out, cuz Kirby's different; and the 5 other characters I really want to main aren't even IN Melee.

I do know how to WD, but I never got the hang of it, and I suspect it will be null in Brawl and if it IS discovered again, it'll probably be pulled off differently than in Melee.

I watched a video with Ken once, during one of the finals. Reflecting on that, and what I've read, all it was wuz a fast paced normal match, but you just have simple techniques like keeping your distance and such.

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead an conclude now, instead of just rambling on and on. I've seen a few of those guides on GameFAQs. In fact, I was looking at them last year on the characters I liked; specifically, Luigi. It helped, but only a little. That was then, and this is now, and I know a lot more general techniques (even though I haven't even tried them).

So it just comes down to practice, willingness to learn, and keeping at it. I'm still interested in making a Dojo or something though, after the real Dojo closes in order to help people, but I'm not so sure I'm really confident in what I can do in order to actually teach them first hand what to do! So it probably wouldn't work out.

However I'll always be looking for a way to try and bridge the gap. :)

Now, who wants to test chaingrab DDDs? :laugh:

(I would put more but we could easily lose power any second now. o.o; )

Sanji

Smash Apprentice
Whiny nubs stfu. Even if the game was intended to be played with items and all that crazy randomness which (obviously) takes less skill than playing with no items, competitive play is to make the game the least amount random as possible.

Competitive Smashers have made rules which they think fit to play competitively. If you want to win money, you play by our rules and st fu. If not, stop hating cuz ur a bunch of nubs who like to win thanks to random bull**** and play ur smash with items on. no one cares about you.

Sanji

Smash Apprentice
I watched a video with Ken once, during one of the finals. Reflecting on that, and what I've read, all it was wuz a fast paced normal match, but you just have simple techniques like keeping your distance and such.

no. you couldnt be more wrong you idiot. tell me have you ever been to a competitive tournament? if not, dont talk. if you have, and played against a really good player, its MUCH DIFFERENT THAN WATCHING THEM IN A VIDEO. of course its easy to watch a video and say these guys dont look that good.... well DUH.. ur not the one trying to trick the opponent, ur just watching 2 minds fight back and forth. its like butting in on an argument in which you dont know what the hell the two people are talking about. pointless and makes you look dumb.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
no. you couldnt be more wrong you idiot. tell me have you ever been to a competitive tournament? if not, dont talk. if you have, and played against a really good player, its MUCH DIFFERENT THAN WATCHING THEM IN A VIDEO. of course its easy to watch a video and say these guys dont look that good.... well DUH.. ur not the one trying to trick the opponent, ur just watching 2 minds fight back and forth. its like butting in on an argument in which you dont know what the hell the two people are talking about. pointless and makes you look dumb.
Thanks for calling me and idiot. And who really looks dumb here?

This is what I was talking about in my first post. It's people like you that start fights and just ignite this "war" even more. Calm down man...

And I never called them bad or anything, Ken is pretty good.

PyrasTerran

Smash Journeyman
Competitive Smashers have made rules which they think fit to play competitively. If you want to win money, you play by our rules and st fu. If not, stop hating cuz ur a bunch of nubs who like to win thanks to random bull**** and play ur smash with items on. no one cares about you.
Sakurai cares about them. :)

So does Nintendo... since the population ratio of "nubs" to "Competitive Smashers" is pretty wide. The competitive players may define how the game is played on the tournament battlefield, but it's the millions of kids and casual gamers that are making Nintendo the real bucks, not the hardcore fans like us.

We must remember that there is a massive world of Smashers outside of the internet forum community who may not even know anything outside the Dojo and ign.com. And they matter just as much as we do.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Some people were born into this world with natural talent. This goes for anything...someone might be pro at juggling toothbrushes, while another person is good at SSBM. No matter how hard or often the toothbrush juggler practices to get good at Melee he will always fall short in comparison. This is how life works, some people were blessed with talent while most are just lousy noobs that complain about being a noob.

If there is one thing Mr.C knows..... that is noobs will always be noobs....nothing will ever change this.

Now remember kids this doesn't mean you are better then another person....so treat everyone with respect! <3<3

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Some people were born into this world with natural talent. This goes for anything...someone might be pro at juggling toothbrushes, while another person is good at SSBM. No matter how hard or often the toothbrush juggler practices to get good at Melee he will always fall short in comparison. This is how life works, some people were blessed with talent while most are just lousy noobs that complain about being a noob.

If there is one thing Mr.C knows..... that is noobs will always be noobs....nothing will ever change this.

Now remember kids this doesn't mean you are better then another person....so treat everyone with respect! <3<3
lol would you consider yourself one of those multi-talented people?

if you are, welcome to the club xD

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
How can those techniques close a skill gap? L-canceling and wavedashing take a lot of practice and playing to use efficiently and as second nature.
I was talking about competitive play. It's going to be a lot harder to out mindgame someone who has more experience than you as there isn't much you can do.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I've always thought the mindgame was the most challenging and the most fun part of improving in Smash..
What was so great about smash was that there were two levels of development. Actual experience and tech skill. Mind games do not really exist, it's just the art of reading your opponent and getting into a better position than him.

Tech Skill is the ability to WD, L-cancel, and do character specific techs consistently.

You could not be sucessful in melee without doing both. My friend is the perfect example. He can double shine 26 times in a row (this is nearly impossible), but he is really predictable cause he only plays the same people over and over again. I'm nowhere near as technical as him (i don't think I even l-cancel consistently) and I beat him by a lot (even when I play his Fox with my Ness).

You need to practice tech skill in order to pull off crazy stunts. You need experience in order to apply those to actual battles instead of the lvl.1 cpu. In melee it's a mixture of both. Being able to WD spam doesn't mean insta-win. You have to be able to apply it.

Not only that, but L-cancelling was not even a glitch. It was put into melee as it was discovered by Nintendo in 64. L-cancel also made a lot of the slower characters viable in tournament play and allowed for some awesome combos. It also was a counter for shieldgrabbing by Marth and Sheik, whose grab-ranges were larger than most attack hitboxes.

Also, they kept a glitch callled float cancelling which gives Peach 4 frames of lag after she lands and arial she started while floating. This is obviously extremely broken and was kept even though l-cancel is out. Wanna know what happened with a character that did this before:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=E2baExmi71g

Another major gripe is that lack of l-cancel slows down gameplay even more. What is more interesting: a fast paced game full of combos, or a slower one that consists entirely of shield grabbing and camping.

tl;dr: tech skill allows you to be creative, experience allows you to use that creativity. Pros will still **** noobs, it's just that pro vs. pro matchups might get long and boring.

Ironically Sakurai nerfed arial gameplay instead of boosting it with the changes he made >.>

Edit: Yes I know I haven't even played the game yet, but if it turns out like this then it'd suck. We were lucky that melee was so technical cause it was very buggy. Since Sakurai spent a lot of time on this game, this decreases the chances of finding helpful glitches that could help in battle. The fact that Falco can cancel his running attack into an up-smash makes me hopeful, but that still isn't very useful, especially for the rest of the cast. Another thing I didn't understand was why he nerfed Fox and Falco a lot, but did not nerf Peach, Marth, or Sheik noticeably. In fact Peach has a major advantage right now in that she has the fastest arials in the game. Ironically Fox and Falco were really techy characters.

Edit 2: Another thing people fear is that the game will turn out similarly to smash 64. Some characters were so blatently overpowered that all you had to do was memorize the 0-death combos. All the matches had the same outcome, and matches get boring to watch after they all do the same thing over and over again. In melee there was greater diversity not only because there were more characters, but because there were more techs (and thus more playstyles/options/things to do for a single character).

veil222

Smash Journeyman
You know... instead of practicing a game so much it becomes routine so that I can win money... I think I'll... you know... get a job.... or develop some skill that won't be a novelty in 5 years you know? You can play to win, I'll play for what the game is intended for.... fun. If competitive play is fun, I'll do that until it's not, I know I really don't need a tournament scene to enjoy such a big game. If this game isn't as competitive or as technically unbalanced... I mean... deep... as melee, it's really not going to matter even since I've been in Melee tournaments for over a year now. I don't see the big deal, if you want to be competitive you can, be thankful there's a brawl at all.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
I'm all for opening it up, so more people can enjoy the game. However, it should not come at the cost of us hardcore. Look at the online. How come with "Random" you can't set stock or the number of players? Sure, they want to stream line it and make it as easy as possible, so new and casual players can have fun. But what I am saying is, why not allow the OPTION and CHOICE of having seperate lobbies, servers and rooms with different modes of play?

I understand they don't want people to feel left out or alientated, but with the current setup for online, WE are the ones are left out. The only way we can enjoy more competitive games is to exchange friend codes (either on the forums, email, instant message or phone calls) and play amongst each other. Why not have a simple (GameSpy-esque) server system where I can plug in what kind of match I want and choose from a compiled list. Sure, setting up something like that would take time (plus, it would have to be decided whether or not the network would be p2p or dedicated), but it would be worth it, in order to maximize the number of happy players.

Not everyone wants four stock matches on Final Destination with no items. On the other hand, not everyone is going to want timed free-for-alls on Norfair with a **** ton of ATs. This isn't meant to sound enthnocentric, but a lot of Japanese devs have this notion that THEY know what's best for the players. Sure, Brawl is different than most Japanese games, because of Sakurai's polls and the such. However, I will say that even he was somewhat blind to what we REALLY wanted. With the roster aside, I think we all wanted an online system, with stat tracking, server customization and ability to send messages and invitations. Though I know nothing about game net code, and didn't work on Brawl at all, I personally don't think it wouldn't have been that hard to add such features. Yeah, I know, its NINTENDO's online, but still, they could have worked something out.

I think its admirable that they focused on getting more people involved. But at the same time, I think in the process of them doing so, the left out key features that would, in turn, broadened the potential audience even more.

stelzig

Smash Lord
"However I'll always be looking for a way to try and bridge the gap. "

Under the expense of losing the actual challenge (and thereby competetion) in the game?
Sure we could make a game so simple that everyone could learnt to play it well in no time (i think MSC is a good example of this), but then it just won't be fun or a good competetive game. Having a big gap in skill level is good. Playing against someone with a much different skill level than yours is bad and boring both for the winning and the losing player, but i don't think that is a good reason to bridge the gap because that can only be done by making the game easy or force everyone to play as passionately and seriously as the best.

Having a game that offers good gameplay and fun for a wide range of gamers, both casual and competetive is a good game, and melee did that. If brawl eliminates competetion then that's all it does - Eliminate part of the fun for part of the fans while the ones who didn't care before is having the same amount of fun with the game as previously.

Kips

Smash Ace
It's excellent that Sakurai is trying to bridge the gap. However, PXG is right. We should be allowed to choose stocks and such for random battles or at least preferences so we can be matched up by people with the same ideas. That way people can link up for their super awesome battles on Norfair or their intense technical fights on Final Destination. No actual challenge is lost this way so that you can enter an itemfest or a professional duel and the skill gap is still there.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
I have a question for all of u...what do people mean by brawl is a lot slower...are u camparing brawl to melee or melee with the glitches that made it faster... think about that...

the way melee was suppoesed to be played...brawl is not EXTREMELY SLOWER like a lot of u people seem to think...gosh just calm down and wait til u play the game...am i the only still excited to play it and not crying.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Also anybody remember power stone 2...one of the greatest games ever!
or maybe mario kart or mario strikers charged

People were trying to take out depth in the game, and then we are crying that the game is not as deep as melee(dodging, placing, and comboing with items)...pretty funny if u ask me:laugh:.

those games would be sooo boring without items...All im saying is lets give items a chance in this game...people are ruling stuff out based on a DIFFERENT game. I think melee was more fun without items but lets not start of by banning them in brawl...lets try it at first...

And after watching a lot of wifi matches they dont cause that big of a deal or determine the outcome of the match...

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for all of u...what do people mean by brawl is a lot slower...are u camparing brawl to melee or melee with the glitches that made it faster... think about that...

the way melee was suppoesed to be played...brawl is not EXTREMELY SLOWER like a lot of u people seem to think...gosh just calm down and wait til u play the game...am i the only still excited to play it and not crying.
No, you're not the only one not crying. Most newbs are not crying because nothing has happened to them. You're content to play the Party Game. Competitives have good reason to believe that competitive Brawl will be campy and unfun. If you don't understand why it's because you've never played competitively, don't know what playing competitively even means, and have never listened to them when they actually tried to explain why they think Brawl will suck for them.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
If anyone plays Armored Core and was a hardcore fan, you would notice exactly what is going on here. They are catering to noobs to get a bigger fan base, to increase profits and knifing the vets in the back. The same thing happened to AC4, skill was pretty much removed. I quit because it was such a skill-less noob spray fest.

I hope the same doesn't happen to Brawl. I love this series to death. Losing two of my all time favourite games would be too much for me. If Street Fighter 4 or Soul Calibur 4 can't save me, I will probably just quit competitive console gaming and put all my time into PC.

I hope someone figures out how to use a AR, codebreaker or gameshark to rip this game apart and see what it has.

Edit:

Blacksmasher, I suggest you facepalm yourself to death.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Also anybody remember power stone 2...one of the greatest games ever!
or maybe mario kart or mario strikers charged

People were trying to take out depth in the game, and then we are crying that the game is not as deep as melee(dodging, placing, and comboing with items)...pretty funny if u ask me:laugh:.

those games would be sooo boring without items...All im saying is lets give items a chance in this game...people are ruling stuff out based on a DIFFERENT game. I think melee was more fun without items but lets not start of by banning them in brawl...lets try it at first...

And after watching a lot of wifi matches they dont cause that big of a deal or determine the outcome of the match...
...my point is proved. Newbs have NO IDEA what the COMPETITIVE game is like, all they know is the PARTY GAME. You people wouldn't have reason to complain even *if* you understood what the problem competitively was.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Competitive mariokart is without items (this is coming from a former world champion in MKDS, only for 1 day, but i was on top and was in top 10 for about 2 years). There are also played with items sometimes because there is some type of strategy in them there since they are not completely random but based on positioning and all items, with the exception of the lightning can be dodged in MKDD and MKDS. In ssbm items are completely random in where they show up and who gets them and they can only be dodged in certain situations.
In MSC(F) items are also only part random, but this is the game where they are most fair because the item system is a reward/penalty for performance. If you hit an opponent who doesn't have a ball then that opponent gets an item. A penalty which is good because otherwise the competetion level in the game would be worse than it already is.
You also get rewarded for firing charged shots which puts in another strategy in sometimes going for a shot even when you know you won't score, but you will get the item. Items don't just randomly appear in this game.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Whats with all these noobs blaming WD for their loss? IMO WD is a bit overrated.

You lost because your not good,, you suck, your garbage , etc plain and simple. You don't have to WD to be good. It ups your game if used properly, but you don't have to learn it.

Sugata Designs

Smash Cadet
Whats with all these noobs blaming WD for their loss? IMO WD is a bit overrated.

You lost because your not good,, you suck, your garbage , etc plain and simple. You don't have to WD to be good. It ups your game if used properly, but you don't have to learn it.
This just in. #2 Melee player Vs. #1 Melee player, #2 loses. Called "garbage". :psycho:

bluekitsune13

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure that Brawl will close the gap a little between people of different skills. However, you still have to know your character(s)' strengths and weaknesses. I'm glad they got rid of all the other exploits that were in Melee. Everything you need to become a pro player should be laid out in front of you, and shouldn't be a hidden exploit. Seriously, how else would I figure out wavedashing or L canceling? I'd hope that Brawl will be a game that's easy to get into, but hard to master.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
You would figure out l canceling by spamming your shield trying to block an opponents attack because you missed.

Stop pulling that exploit crap. Hell I am just going to let this thread die.

LOLZ ITUMZ R SCILL CUZ U NED SCILL TO DODGE 3 BATS GETTING THROWN AT U OF TEH EGDE, AM I RITE?

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
Competitive mariokart is without items (this is coming from a former world champion in MKDS, only for 1 day, but i was on top and was in top 10 for about 2 years). There are also played with items sometimes because there is some type of strategy in them there since they are not completely random but based on positioning and all items, with the exception of the lightning can be dodged in MKDD and MKDS. In ssbm items are completely random in where they show up and who gets them and they can only be dodged in certain situations.
In MSC(F) items are also only part random, but this is the game where they are most fair because the item system is a reward/penalty for performance. If you hit an opponent who doesn't have a ball then that opponent gets an item. A penalty which is good because otherwise the competetion level in the game would be worse than it already is.
You also get rewarded for firing charged shots which puts in another strategy in sometimes going for a shot even when you know you won't score, but you will get the item. Items don't just randomly appear in this game.
thank you for not being so childish and bashing me...i agree with u and thats what im saying we havnt played brawl so dont base it off of melee...even if u are pretty sure how the system is going to work...just wait till u play it.

Mekos

Smash Master
NNID
Mekos123
...my point is proved. Newbs have NO IDEA what the COMPETITIVE game is like, all they know is the PARTY GAME. You people wouldn't have reason to complain even *if* you understood what the problem competitively was.
u my child are very rude...and i do play melee competitivly...and think its more fun played that way...all i simply said is just wait till u play the game before u bash based on what melee was like and how it's not like that...now if u want to reply or disagree thats fine but dont be rude...someone even made a thread about how this board is full of people like u...learn to respect others...even if they know less than u be humble in life it will take u a long way.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Gimpy played the game. Sakurai removed all the techs he found...Sakurai wants this game to be a noob fest. I thought Sakurai was a really good developer asking us what characters we wanted and such. But then I realized how big of a noob he is. He says gaming is a sport, but destroys competitive play? GG Sakurai

stelzig

Smash Lord
While i do appreciate the thank you i actually also expect items to be treated the same way in brawl as in melee. The item system looks to be the exact same way and there are no signs of them changing. But if items truly is an acceptable factor then surely it will also be accepted into competitive play.
I don't think you should count on it though seeing as there is no appearent difference between items in brawl and items in melee.

Adi

Smash Lord
Items would add depth if they did not have such a random factor that significantly affects the outcome of a match.

lexxil

Smash Apprentice
GOD ****.

Brawl will be as deep as Melee trust me ;)

And Sakurai talking about this "good players shouldt have this much advantage" is just b/c of this Nintendo strategy like "your grandma owns you in smash b/c she lucked and picked up a Smash Ball" lol.
Its not more than that.

Dou you've watched Videos from 2002 of Melee. Its ridiciolous. Rolling all the time etc.
THE GAME ISNT OUT IN USA LOL!

for example there are crazy Combo possibilities since you can perform a move after an UP b. Ive watched Videos from Mr. G&W who made some crazy combos with Up B to fair to up B to uair etc...

just wait... good players will defeat the bader. its been like always ;)
And Sakurai is also talking about this when it comes to FS items AT etc.

Top Bottom