• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPETITIVE Brawl+: Code Agenda

zxeon

Smash Lord
The smash lab is looking for brawl hacker participation, and right now, we're also looking for a specific code that would make it very easy to test a lot of hard to test data in the game. We'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer.
You mean a code(s) that would function like a debug mode of sorts? I don't think that such a code(s) exist. We can hope that one(some) code(s) that can do that come out.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Technically, it's two codes, one of which the brawl+ project already wants (the hitlag modifier).

While we're on the subject of hitlag, I'd like to note that there may be multiple types of hitlag in the game (see: marth's fsmash, falcon's knee, zelda's toe, ike's fsmash, and most jabs in the game; all act differently when they connect). Marth's fsmash causes you to move forward and back a few times before launching you (I'm not sure if you can smash DI during this time, but probably not), either falcon's knee or zelda's toe cannot be smash DI'd (don't remember which) while the other can, ike's fsmash I believe acts like a normal hit, and then it is also possible that the game makes a distinction on hitlag for weak hits, as well (the jabs, such as falco's or sheik's). So looking at attacks like marth's fsmash leads me to believe that there may be an additional state besides just regular hitlag that is applied to some moves. Obviously we would want to completely remove this state, as well, if it is separate.

As for removing the hit queue, that's all that needs to be done for that. There is no worry about the opponent flying away mid-attack as we can just set the damage ratio to zero using the damage ratio code.

I really just posted this to get my thoughts down, as we'll need to actually contact a hacker later to get this done. I think only one hacker actually checks this thread, and I'm not sure how he would fell about doing this.

@zxeon: that video has nothing to do with this lol

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
This could be potentially newbish but is there a code that has super scopes shoot stickers not cd's?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
@ leafgreen: if you know where more hackers check/ know any hackers that could do that, lemme know their contact info, or just pass along the request for me plz.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
@ leafgreen: if you know where more hackers check/ know any hackers that could do that, lemme know their contact info, or just pass along the request for me plz.
Yeah, that was the plan. We've been letting kupo handle the code requests so as not to bombard the hackers with a ton of requests from people. I'm not sure which hackers are busy with what right now, though, so it'd probably be best to let him handle this, too.

This could be potentially newbish but is there a code that has super scopes shoot stickers not cd's?
1) This isn't the thread for that. Brawl+ is about hacks to make a more competitive game.
2) Go here, and if it's not in that thread ask in the support thread (there's a link to the support thread there).

kupo15

Smash Hero
kupo, I went to that video you posted and I saw that you said this:

That's exactly the opposite of what we're trying to achieve. I was under the impression that we wanted to remove the overall floatiness of Brawl while leaving combos intact to the greatest degree possible, not vice-versa! We are fighting against floatiness and for comboing! Are you saying you intend to do the opposite?
No we don't want the removal of overall floatiness. If you do that then vertical kills will really be nerfed. But in any case you have to realize which codes are mandatory and which ones are preference codes. Anything that has to do with making the game faster for sake of making it faster (character animation speed, gravity....) is a preference code. Technically, the gravity of the game is not a problem and doesn't need to be fixed. Arguing about what preference codes should be is slippery slope because its no longer whats better for the game, its what every wants. I like 1.1 because it makes it slightly less floaty by making the turns faster, recovery ever so slightly harder, and it does not nerf vertical kills that much.

I was under the impression that this project is to make brawl better by fixing as little as possible and the speed will naturally come with appropriate codes. We can't make this game like melee gravity for the sake of melee.

Finns7

Smash Ace
I agree kupo Ive been thinking about this for a while. Thinking this project would be ruined mainly becaue of everyone asking for wants instead of needs. Hitstun was a need. Cancel was a need if you wanted faster gameplay, No trip was a need.

Look at normal brawl. Look at players like tudor or SK92 they play normal brawl fast, they are great players...We dont need brawl+ at the sayain levels in custom speed, the pros will make it look fast and play it fast hopefully. With these wants the game may change a little too much and turn people off.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I agree kupo Ive been thinking about this for a while. Thinking this project would be ruined mainly becaue of everyone asking for wants instead of needs. Hitstun was a need. Cancel was a need if you wanted faster gameplay, No trip was a need.

Look at normal brawl. Look at players like tudor or SK92 they play normal brawl fast, they are great players...We dont need brawl+ at the sayain levels in custom speed, the pros will make it look fast and play it fast hopefully. With these wants the game may change a little too much and turn people off.
Exactly

Yea, does this look slow?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEm-rQHRtvQ

Heavyarms2050

Smash Ace
Brawl can be blazing fast like melee, but look at the video ^^. Not a single 3-hit combo other than the spamming uptilts. Brawl is fast, if you use fast characters and spam a move every second, but try to replicate that feeling with slow characters and its completely different

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
You know, that fox would probably be extremely effective in brawl+ lol

I should try spamming empty sh's more...

Also, I think the only "preference" code that should make it in is a fixed character speed modifier. All the preference codes are about making the game faster, so why not do it in the strictest way possible? There aren't any real negative effects like the gravity code, and for those who want the game faster, this does it. On all fronts.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
You know, that fox would probably be extremely effective in brawl+ lol

I should try spamming empty sh's more...

Also, I think the only "preference" code that should make it in is a fixed character speed modifier. All the preference codes are about making the game faster, so why not do it in the strictest way possible? There aren't any real negative effects like the gravity code, and for those who want the game faster, this does it. On all fronts.
Yea, im so looking up for a fixed character speed code, that's all i want (besides shieldstun and better dash dance)

Oracle

Smash Master
Brawl isn't fast. Japanese people play it kind of fast, but it's still easy to sheildgrab them, camp them, etc.

Also we're not actually going to use pokemon trainer no switch are we?

Osi

Smash Ace
Put together another Brawl+ combo video. Lots more IC this time around. Thought I'd toss it up here for you all to check out. Hope you enjoy it!

Shadows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRy3Ss-Oxb0

Codes used:
MAD
Hitstun 10% and 11.75% (I changed it to 10 for the fall rate increased)
Fall speed 1.25
No trip
No replay limit
ALC
Ledge cancel
No auto sweetspot

Revven

FrankerZ
Yea, im so looking up for a fixed character speed code, that's all i want (besides shieldstun and better dash dance)
Igglyboo said that there's nothing to fix as any speed changes outside of Training mode (which is what the code does) were not meant to work outside of it. So, any bugs you see, are likely not able to be fixed (or rather, he won't bother).

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Igglyboo said that there's nothing to fix as any speed changes outside of Training mode (which is what the code does) were not meant to work outside of it. So, any bugs you see, are likely not able to be fixed (or rather, he won't bother).
That can't be really true, the global speed modifier is exactly what the training mode speed modifier does, so you can have 1x, or 1,5x speed without bugs, but nothing between.
The current character speed modifier works different as the training speed/global speed modifier, if you set the speed on the character speed modifier up like 4x the normal speed, not only you get faster, also your jumps and up b gets really high. So the character speed modifier does something to the gravity, that has to be removed somehow.

zxeon

Smash Lord
That can't be really true, the global speed modifier is exactly what the training mode speed modifier does, so you can have 1x, or 1,5x speed without bugs, but nothing between.
The current character speed modifier works different as the training speed/global speed modifier, if you set the speed on the character speed modifier up like 4x the normal speed, not only you get faster, also your jumps and up b gets really high. So the character speed modifier does something to the gravity, that has to be removed somehow.
It sounds to me like the characters are rocketing into the air at rediculous speeds causing them to jump higher than normal.

poklin

Smash Apprentice
no one answered my Q :( so i guess ill ask again, to anyone that played 1.165 grav what is the closest with the new code? i was going to try 1.25 but i haven't got around to it yet.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
no one answered my Q :( so i guess ill ask again, to anyone that played 1.165 grav what is the closest with the new code? i was going to try 1.25 but i haven't got around to it yet.
...Should it not just be the value closest to 1.165?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Put together another Brawl+ combo video. Lots more IC this time around. Thought I'd toss it up here for you all to check out. Hope you enjoy it!

Shadows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRy3Ss-Oxb0

Codes used:
MAD
Hitstun 10% and 11.75% (I changed it to 10 for the fall rate increased)
Fall speed 1.25
No trip
No replay limit
ALC
Ledge cancel
No auto sweetspot
I saw several things that could have been done in reg brawl such as the IC grabbing stuff. Is it not possible to DI the dthrow? I also saw a lot of combos from missed techs which is eh.. (was there even one tech?) And I saw several combos because they were afraid to air dodge. But it was probably a match highlight reel so its cool.

You might want to add 1/2 decay code so that you can minimize on utilt and uair spam (fox and jiggs). Overall its a pretty good code anyway

Finns7

Smash Ace
Those empty short hops have a purpose. If you play a pro Donkey Kong/Ganon/Link they play fast, the speed code is really uneeded.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Those empty short hops have a purpose. If you play a pro Donkey Kong/Ganon/Link they play fast, the speed code is really uneeded.
Yup it is unneeded not to mention the side effects that could arise from less lag. This could make shield stun hard to perfect if things like gaw's bair or the tornado can finish up faster than they already do. It effects a lot of things and I feel it poses problems for many things. Speeding the game up for the sake of speeding it up doesn't sound good for the game.

Osi

Smash Ace
I saw several things that could have been done in reg brawl such as the IC grabbing stuff. Is it not possible to DI the dthrow? I also saw a lot of combos from missed techs which is eh.. (was there even one tech?) And I saw several combos because they were afraid to air dodge. But it was probably a match highlight reel so its cool.

You might want to add 1/2 decay code so that you can minimize on utilt and uair spam (fox and jiggs). Overall its a pretty good code anyway
Yea I know the IC CG clips were possible in vanilla too. They were just match highlights, and since I'm playing them a lot now I just felt like tossing it in. Most of the rest should be brawl+ combos. Wish I had more CG into combo clips than just CG to spikes. That part should change next time.

I'm not sure on the down throw DI, I know that it's pretty rough to escape before 30-40 on a lot of characters (really hard if there is good nana spacing). I've never played against a good IC, so I've never been on the receiving end to try lol. I'm really interested to see how the hitstun effects it too.

Likely 20-30% of the combos were punishing missed techs. With it being harder in brawl it makes match highlights punishing missed ones occur more often.

The 1/2 decay could be cool. I'll try it out now that MAD is gone and I have all that extra room. I expect with a DD, momentum, and shield stun code it may be left out of mine in the end though. Even without MAD I'm past 200 now, and there is a lot left to go...

Edit - The decay would have had a big impact on that one jiggly combo on marth lol. The fox up air one was all weak hits since I just came in on a new stock. I know the decay code will change a lot of my fox ground combos, so hopefully the utilt will be more consistent at least.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Likely 20-30% of the combos were punishing missed techs. With it being harder in brawl it makes match highlights punishing missed ones occur more often.
Actually not really. I used to think this way but I was hitting a lot of my teching today.

Also I can't believe I'm saying this but.....I'm down to 10% stun....

*runs away**

Starscream

Smash Ace
Yup it is unneeded not to mention the side effects that could arise from less lag. This could make shield stun hard to perfect if things like gaw's bair or the tornado can finish up faster than they already do. It effects a lot of things and I feel it poses problems for many things. Speeding the game up for the sake of speeding it up doesn't sound good for the game.
If MK and G&W recover from their attacks faster then so will whoever they are attacking. The modifier would apply to all characters and all actions not just some attacks. Things are just slower in Brawl, it's not just the lacking mechanics that make the game slower. Attacks come out slower than they once did. Tech rolling is also slower. Bump the speed up by 1.1 and things are great. We'll see how the speed of the game is after all the major codes are out.

And I don't know anything really about coding but why is it impossible to create a speed modifier without the glitches? What are the reasons? Why does Fox teleport when running? Why can't Fox/Falco ledge jump? Where are the logical explanations besides "it can't be fixed"? I'm just curious to know.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea I see what you mean. But no, I hear there is no such way to make a faster character animation code without the glitches. Ask falco400

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
I don't like the idea of making Brawl more "Melee". You might as well make codes to take out Pit, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Snake, Lucas, Sonic, King DeDeDe, Olimar, Lucario, ROB, Toon Link and Wolf and then make codes to put in Roy, Mewtwo, Pichu, Young Link and Dr. Mario.

Play the game as it is.

MuBa

Smash Lord
I don't like the idea of making Brawl more "Melee". You might as well make codes to take out Pit, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Snake, Lucas, Sonic, King DeDeDe, Olimar, Lucario, ROB, Toon Link and Wolf and then make codes to put in Roy, Mewtwo, Pichu, Young Link and Dr. Mario.

Play the game as it is.
For God's sake we are NOT making the game more like Melee. If you don't like this project then don't play it. Enjoy your vanilla flavored Brawl while we sprinkle ours for better taste =/

Seriously stop trolling.

@ Kupo - If the speed code is truly not doable then oh well, it's not THAT big of a deal. As long as we make the game more offensive and exciting that alone would bring justice to the lack of speed in the game.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

Play the game as it is.
Because a random person saying "play the game as it is" is totally going to change everyone's minds about brawl+ after we've been following it for several months already. Riiight...

Why are you posting here? This isn't even about making the game more like melee. It's about making the game more like smash. I don't know if you've ever played smash 64 or not, but all of the mechanics we're tweaking here existed then too.

kupo15

Smash Hero
@ Kupo - If the speed code is truly not doable then oh well, it's not THAT big of a deal. As long as we make the game more offensive and exciting that alone would bring justice to the lack of speed in the game.
It will get this way with shield stun. That is the code that will transform this game from defensive to offensive...

Hitlag modifier will make this game feel faster.

You don't need to make a "lighting mode" modifier code to make this game fast...let the game naturally get faster instead of forcing it to be faster..

Top Bottom