• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
K.

Sounds like this was another successful adventure of Sinz.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
I can come to tourneys pretty regularly now, the only thing holding me back is my girlfriend. but if I know it's happening in advance and it's on Mapquest then I can pretty much go.

I main him, Tim seconds him, Moblin mained him when he played iirc.
You bes' be trollin

or did you mean Metaknight?

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
No Moblin, I'm pretty sure you mained Lucario.

And are you planning on going to Brawl tournies? Cuz I think we're about done with Melee ones. Maybe not? I dunno.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I'm glad Sunny found this thread. He's seems like a pretty knowledgable player.!
Aww dood your too sweet. xD

As much as I usually like boasting my ego,I gotta be honest. Im down right stupid when I try this stuff in battle. =p I think its because I lack some serious MU experience. Only MU I really know is olimar and game and watch. Before I came to colorado I only played against one hardcore dood that mained those two. awww just trust me. When we first brawl you'll probably wreck me. =p

OH BTW! When is fishfest? '3' Like exact date and stuff? I gotta clear this with my parents so I can go~! Been practicing all the advance tecs for yoshi and working on some mix up game. =w=

EDIT: Very sexy steam! 40 whole frames of delicious Bair hitbox. Mmmmmm. Marth just wanted a bite of it I think.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Snake has wicked disjoint on a lot of moves. Most of Lucario's are good but not as good as that^^^^^^^ one.

Steam

Smash Hero
I don't think lucario's bair lingers for 40 frames... if it did it would be the ultimate aerial zoning move...

now his upsmash probably lingers for close to 40 frames LMAO

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
No, his Usmash is an active hitbox for the rest of the game. If Lucario uses that move in one spot and you play on that stage the next day, it sometimes still hits.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
I have a question for you guys who play smash competitively. Why do you guys play with such "ridiculous" rules? I've always personally hated to whole competitive smash scene. You guys come up with so many rules as to what makes the game "balance" but what you fail to realize is that smash was not made like other fighters, and instead of playing it in its entirety you deside what stays and gos to make it a "fair" game. I mean you guys talk about how a flat stage is neutral, which is false cause a flat stage favors some characters over others. You're going by the whole flat stage idea from other FGs, but you fail to realize that smash isn't like other FGs. It wasn't made with the typical FG balance in mind. The stages, and the items where made to balance the game overall.
So why do you guys insist that the game mush be played a certain way, claiming that the way you play it is the most balanced, even though there is no proof to show that it is balanced? Infact the way you guys play smash is the reason why metaknight, snake, DD are all top.
cross post~~, someone answer this :3

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
Not to be a jerk but its kinda obvious that this person is not very good. As you become more experienced in the smash scene you will start to realize why things like items are not used. The goal is to try and get an even and fair game w/ as little interference as possible (why tripping is so hated and some stages like wario ware are banned) to see who truly is the better player. Also flat stages are not only what people play on. For example PS1 or Lylat are standard neutrals and neither are simple flat stages.

Also brawl was actually made to NOT be competitive, meaning that items were not made to balance the game but to add extra entertainment since Brawl is supposed to be a party game.

TBH I think the brawl community has done a pretty good job. The best players usually win and most johns are about the player and not the game.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I agree with Jorge. That person has no idea what's going on.

First off, what's ridiculous about using lives and a timer? If you went stamina, characters like Fox would be able to win just by running and shooting, and those super-situational 0-10% locks would become infinites.

If you play with just the timer, then players will camp the last min/30 sec of every single match.

The rest of the modes aren't even open for discussion.

So, what's "ridiculous" about stock+timer?

Moving on to items:

Characters like Snake, D3, MK, and the like actually still benefit EXTREMELY from items. Picture MK with glide tosses everywhere (MK can glide toss, rite?). Or ridiculous-*** D3 final smashes. Hell, picture D3 throwing a capsule that explodes. The characters are top because they're just really good/have ******** gimmicks. Some lower tiered characters benefit from items (Sonic), but given the random nature of items, plus the stupid effects a good chunk of them would have on the game, it's much easier to just remove the random factor and make it player vs player. This is also why chaotic stages aren't used. You don't want player vs items vs stage vs rng vs player. That kinda makes things too stupid.

Also, no one says that FD is balanced anymore. It was ~kinda~ fair in Melee, but due to stupid crap like falco camping, d3 cgs, diddy naner locks, and so on, it's almost a cp, and is one of the most common stages for people to ban/strike. No one stage is the most balanced, because MUs change how the stages are used. They're just tools for the players. The "neutral" stages are just the ones that give the smallest advantages/are the least random.

Oh, and D3 isn't top anymore?

This is probably the same kind of guy that claimed wding was a glitch. Either that, or he plays SF.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Jorge. That person has no idea what's going on.

First off, what's ridiculous about using lives and a timer? If you went stamina, characters like Fox would be able to win just by running and shooting, and those super-situational 0-10% locks would become infinites.

If you play with just the timer, then players will camp the last min/30 sec of every single match.

The rest of the modes aren't even open for discussion.

So, what's "ridiculous" about stock+timer?

Moving on to items:

Characters like Snake, D3, MK, and the like actually still benefit EXTREMELY from items. Picture MK with glide tosses everywhere (MK can glide toss, rite?). Or ridiculous-*** D3 final smashes. Hell, picture D3 throwing a capsule that explodes. The characters are top because they're just really good/have ******** gimmicks. Some lower tiered characters benefit from items (Sonic), but given the random nature of items, plus the stupid effects a good chunk of them would have on the game, it's much easier to just remove the random factor and make it player vs player. This is also why chaotic stages aren't used. You don't want player vs items vs stage vs rng vs player. That kinda makes things too stupid.

Also, no one says that FD is balanced anymore. It was ~kinda~ fair in Melee, but due to stupid crap like falco camping, d3 cgs, diddy naner locks, and so on, it's almost a cp, and is one of the most common stages for people to ban/strike. No one stage is the most balanced, because MUs change how the stages are used. They're just tools for the players. The "neutral" stages are just the ones that give the smallest advantages/are the least random.

Oh, and D3 isn't top anymore?

This is probably the same kind of guy that claimed wding was a glitch. Either that, or he plays SF.
Rofl. The funny part is this is a SF player. Good job Tony.

I didn't feel like typing a huge response, thanks guise.

Steam

Smash Hero
No, his Usmash is an active hitbox for the rest of the game. If Lucario uses that move in one spot and you play on that stage the next day, it sometimes still hits.
This only happens if the lucario player mimics lucario's upsmash animation exactly and at the exact time when lucario Upsmashes.

@discussion- More traditional 2D fighter players need to learn about smarsh more.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Seriously, can someone PM info on fishfest? :>

Also i'll play melee but like don't be surprised when I get out the first round. :V Btw mewtwo all the way.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
that's like a 2 hour drive from me, but if you wanna melee on a friday or saturday night then I'd be willing to make the commute. Just let me know Idol. (Just not this Friday night. Going to the Melting Pot)

Steam

Smash Hero
before I forget once again peter I am going to help you...

I don't know if you notice this but when I'm in kill range you kinda get desperate with utilt... IDK about others but against lucario you're just asking for me to pivot Fsmash you. (this is what let me live to 193% and beat you game 1 at zournament). and generally when you don't Utilt you grab after which you basically always Dthrow and often times try to Utilt me out of it. even when you don't just try to Utilt Lucario is very difficult to tech chase and you'll rarely kill me off of it. I'd recomend using Fthrow or Bthrow to put me offstage as that's where lucario has basically no options against snake especially when he's in kill%. I basically have a 50-50 shot at dying at that point. I can either get ledgehogged or Utilted.

oh also you're doing the ledgeguard vs. lucario wrong. Don't Mortar> grab ledge. Mortar is pretty easy to get around. Dsmash near ledge> grab ledge is a lot better because I'm pretty much forced to land on your mine if you're on the ledge in a looooooot of situations.

I'd also recomend trying more things that force me to dodge into your utilt/something else. Granted they were friendlies and a different matchup but I got bees with stuff like that a loooooot.

Also talk to the Lucario slayer Snake mains on the snake boards. I'm sure somebody there is the reason junebug, Trela, and Zucco think Snake is lucario's worst matchup.

Underload

Lazy
Thanks much, Steam. I figured out a majority of that stuff a while ago, but you still covered some other good points. At least now I can confirm that the changes I made were good ones

Top Bottom