• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Steam

Smash Hero
nope he came out yesterday on PSN :p

@sunny- his wolf form is basically a taokaka with good damage output but when in wolf form he can't block nor grab with the exception of a command throw (that makes blood splatter). so he's kinda like hakumen with the magatama except that valkenhayn has his wolf gauge.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Oh.

I'll get him later. Not in a rush since Makoto is betr anyway.
You can't get him right now, anyway.

He's not released for XBL due to a glitch.

Rofl. The funny part is this is a SF player. Good job Tony.

I didn't feel like typing a huge response, thanks guise.
I kinda figured because only SF players would be arrogant enough to assume we use FD because it's "most like" a 2df stage. GG players are cooler than that. Vs players don't care about us. Only SF is arrogant enough to think that.

It's like when Jwong thought he could be good at Smash. I mean, he picked the right game, and given time, he'd prolly be beast, butuhh..... 2df and smash require different states of mind.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
I kinda figured because only SF players would be arrogant enough to assume we use FD because it's "most like" a 2df stage. GG players are cooler than that. Vs players don't care about us. Only SF is arrogant enough to think that.

It's like when Jwong thought he could be good at Smash. I mean, he picked the right game, and given time, he'd prolly be beast, butuhh..... 2df and smash require different states of mind.
Agreed. I'm in the middle of homework.

Also, does anyone by chance have that post from anime and Manga that explains Darker than Black's history and whatnot? I literally have no idea what happened and I just finished Season 2 :/

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Hey everyone,

As you know I am running a tournament on October 23rd for smash known as Viridian City 8. I have players from across the United States coming to this event to play their hearts out. That being said I wanted to ask if people can do me a huge favor. Normally, I am able to do this myself but because of a financial situation I cannot help out players get to my events.

UTD Zac is my favorite player. As a Game and Watch main I have learn everything I can from him and even hylian ....mostly Zac. Since I first met him, I have loved just hanging out with him and encouraged him to stay in the community to become a better player. I have always wanted him to come out to Viridian City and , due to medical reasons , he missed Apex...a tournament that I wanted him to attend MORE than anything. Yes it is silly of me to ask this but I was wondering if you guys can help him get a flight out here to VC8.

The tournament is Oct 23rd and I want as many of you guys to go as possible as well trust me I do. I encourage you all to find some flights out there and come down ( flights are as cheap as 213 right now ).

Please if you guys can help please either give him the money personally or just send it to my paypal AlexStrife@aol.com . Again the only reason I ask is that its for my bday and it would mean the WORLD...i mean that the WORLD if he came and I got to hang out with him that weekend.

thanks for listening guys and lets show that this community really can pull it together.

BTW if not enough money is given to zac it will go back to you guys and I will still post a thank you for everyone who helped...

thanks again guys.
Wanted to post here cause you guys are awesome and there's a chance you might help.

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
whaaaaaaaaaaaat?
That's right, I said it. Why didn't you show your face around those parts?!

I have a question for you guys who play smash competitively. Why do you guys play with such "ridiculous" rules? I've always personally hated to whole competitive smash scene. You guys come up with so many rules as to what makes the game "balance" but what you fail to realize is that smash was not made like other fighters, and instead of playing it in its entirety you deside what stays and gos to make it a "fair" game. I mean you guys talk about how a flat stage is neutral, which is false cause a flat stage favors some characters over others. You're going by the whole flat stage idea from other FGs, but you fail to realize that smash isn't like other FGs. It wasn't made with the typical FG balance in mind. The stages, and the items where made to balance the game overall.
So why do you guys insist that the game mush be played a certain way, claiming that the way you play it is the most balanced, even though there is no proof to show that it is balanced? Infact the way you guys play smash is the reason why metaknight, snake, DD are all top.
I don't understand his argument. He claims the rules are ridiculous despite claiming that we do it for "balance," which he is right, and that we fail to realize Smash is not made like other fighters.

Uhhh...

If we didn't realize Smash is not like other fighters, THEN WE WOULDN'T MAKE "ridiculous" RULES TO BALANCE THE GAME OUT.

If a more flat stage is NOT neutral, then I wanna know what he thinks IS a neutral stage. Like Tony said, in the case of Melee it worked better. In Brawl where camping is current winning metagame, it doesn't apply as much. But as a whole, no character LOSES much of anything playing on a flat stage. They only GAIN at best. That's the theory behind it as I know.

Lol at assuming ANYTHING when he wants to ask a question. If you wanna believe yourself that we are somehow just trying to copy any 2D fighters, then you're living in a world of delusion. This is why any attempt, at least that I know of, SRK has made to make stages and game set-ups like a 2D Fighter has fallen through the cracks, because it doesn't work!

I like how you mention twice that "we fail to realize" smash isn't like other fighters. If we supposedly don't have proof that flat stages balance the game out more, being the smash competitive scene, then I want to know his proof that they created the game, stages and items wise, that it is built to be balanced off those, often random, additions.

Also, the game has MANY glitches in it, that made all sorts of things wacky. Snake's hitbox data giving him ridiculous range, glide tossing, Metaknight Infinite Cape Glitch. We need these rules because: yes, Smash, Brawl in this case, was not built like other fighters. It wasn't even built super well. We need these rules to make it work. Melee was a beautiful mess that just happened to work out really well BECAUSE glitches and exploits. Brawl, Nintendo tried to "fix" it, and it worked for the casual audience, but not for competitive. The community just "fix" it back as best as they can: Making rule sets. A continuous trial-and-error method.

It's been tested through many different people in the community playing and discovering various things we'd never expect. The community is basically the play testers, as bad as it is, but we're also the ones who have to work around it to enjoy it, at least for the people who do. It's not black-and-white proof as you probably want it, but it's an inductive logic. We're just moving it to being more balanced through higher, more solid, probability.

Also, the way the top players play said characters is also the way they win tournaments and lots of cash. And until there is something that otherwise challenges that, tactic or rule wise, they'll keep getting played that way. Just like (AFAIK)
every
other
fighting
game.
(^- These are links BTW)

Yes, the way we play does make those characters top. If you played SSF2T with Fireballs only, certain characters would be top too. If we played the game "naturally" the game COULD be more "balanced", by the effects of chance, randomness, and even more run-away tactics than are in the game now. It wouldn't be a fighting game (though it really isn't in the first place,) it'd be a versus slot machine.

Jus' sayin'.

But I have a feeling this guy feels like this about my longwinded answer:

http://i55.tinypic.com/8w9ul0.jpg <-- Click

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
SF appears to camp even gayer than brawl.
Their rounds always end, at worst, 99 seconds later. A full tournament match, best out of 3 matches, at close-to-worst unrealistic situation, can take approx 14-15 minutes. That can be two games of Brawl, which, realistically, is far more likely to take longer than any game of SF.

And you can get
PUNISHED
HARD

in SF games, and hell all other 2D fighters where your life force is all you got. You can "avoid" losing in Smash for a long while.

/Devil's Advocate

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
You already saw the hour long press conference? Whut?

I was gonna watch it, but I'll prolly wait till tonight or something. Here's hoping something comes of this, and it's not like the conference in 2001.

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
I've watched the CNN video, and I'm about 15 minutes into the YouTube but can't continue watching it at the moment.

This is... interesting. I'm intrigued why this has been kept silent for so long and how nothing recent has sparked it, since the last government sighting was in 2003 apparently. Either way, sounds like we getting clowned on, intentional or not.

<3 _x_ <3 <-shrine to X.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
They're both CNN. One's just the actual press conference, whereas the other is eh.

I dunno. Considering the UN appointed an Ambassador to Earth (wtf, I want this job), it's slightly slightly possible contact has been made. But I dunno, prolly not.

Apparently, they did something like this in March of 2001. It just went under the radar. Here's hoping something comes of it. I have the feeling we were born as an in-between generation. Super crazy **** will be happening right as we're getting too old for everything. :(

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
They're both CNN. One's just the actual press conference, whereas the other is eh.

I dunno. Considering the UN appointed an Ambassador to Earth (wtf, I want this job), it's slightly slightly possible contact has been made. But I dunno, prolly not.

Apparently, they did something like this in March of 2001. It just went under the radar. Here's hoping something comes of it. I have the feeling we were born as an in-between generation. Super crazy **** will be happening right as we're getting too old for everything. :(

***** please, we'll be Men In Black age by the time **** goes down. They'll NEED us then.

Ya know...under the assumption that they attack.

And WTF I want that job too!

"Hows that ambassadoring to Earth going?"
"Eh... there's to little to do. I just keep spacing out."

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
***** please, we'll be Men In Black age by the time **** goes down. They'll NEED us then.

Ya know...under the assumption that they attack.

And WTF I want that job too!

"Hows that ambassadoring to Earth going?"
"Eh... there's to little to do. I just keep spacing out."
Holy ****.

Jamaal is my favourite. Everyone else can go home. He wins the thread for the year.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Is it weird that I read that at school and listened to Tony and now I'm home?

By the way I love that Colorado controls the only two threads I care about.

Also, my face was 0.0 when I heard that I work the entire day Saturday. I REALLY wanted to make it to participate in the celebration of said Bees's birthday :(
But I'll find a way to kinda be there. Like I get off at eight, so you guys should live stream singing happy birthday.

Steam

Smash Hero
Their rounds always end, at worst, 99 seconds later. A full tournament match, best out of 3 matches, at close-to-worst unrealistic situation, can take approx 14-15 minutes. That can be two games of Brawl, which, realistically, is far more likely to take longer than any game of SF.

And you can get
PUNISHED
HARD

in SF games, and hell all other 2D fighters where your life force is all you got. You can "avoid" losing in Smash for a long while.

/Devil's Advocate
well I think that's mainly because one game of brawl= you kill them three times generally with 5 stocks total taken and SF= 2 or 3 rounds in a game.

but when I was saying gay I meant how the fireballs in SSF2T would like lock him in his block.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
Oh, you mean why didn't I go to PiF2?

Too much homework and I'm literally broke right now. I'd have been there in a flash If I didn't have homework/had money.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Just wait til you fight roll spamming lucarios! :D
I can predict those and punish. But the fact that Rob now has a Nair I can't react to before I see means 0 chasing. Then I get spammed to hell, which I can't seem to shield on wifi. And gimping just...doesn't happing with that lag. Plus OMG ****ing Robs ground game.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
if there was no time limit on SF i'm sure plenty of matches would last several minutes.

Steam

Smash Hero
I can predict those and punish. But the fact that Rob now has a Nair I can't react to before I see means 0 chasing. Then I get spammed to hell, which I can't seem to shield on wifi. And gimping just...doesn't happing with that lag. Plus OMG ****ing Robs ground game.
yeah RoB's nair is godly online.

try moves like wolf/DK bair though. those are absolutely stupid.

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
well I think that's mainly because one game of brawl= you kill them three times generally with 5 stocks total taken and SF= 2 or 3 rounds in a game.

but when I was saying gay I meant how the fireballs in SSF2T would like lock him in his block.
Well you were saying it's campy, and that would not be campy cause it's offensive and upfront for the most part in SSF2T. Gay, kinda sorta, whatever you exactly mean by that lol.

Still Brawl gets best of three tourny matches, 4 lives, and an 8 minute time limit that does get drained BECAUSE people are playing well, and 9 times out of 10, campy. Still, what can you do?

Still, in the case of fireballs, you just have to become Daigo

Ryyudo

Smash Rookie
Oh, you mean why didn't I go to PiF2?

Too much homework and I'm literally broke right now. I'd have been there in a flash If I didn't have homework/had money.
>:|
Coulda saw Sexy Mike in action, repping Lambda for you. And then you coulda saw me win and flash cash in your face (in reality, I was just embarrassed with how poorly I played under pressure.)

Holy ****.

Jamaal is my favourite. Everyone else can go home. He wins the thread for the year.

My face is stuck in that position, sorry. <3

Steam

Smash Hero
Well you were saying it's campy, and that would not be campy cause it's offensive and upfront for the most part in SSF2T. Gay, kinda sorta, whatever you exactly mean by that lol.

Still Brawl gets best of three tourny matches, 4 lives, and an 8 minute time limit that does get drained BECAUSE people are playing well, and 9 times out of 10, campy. Still, what can you do?

Still, in the case of fireballs, you just have to become Daigo
it's actually 3 lives in bawerls

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
Coulda saw Sexy Mike in action, repping Lambda for you. And then you coulda saw me win and flash cash in your face (in reality, I was just embarrassed with how poorly I played under pressure.)

My face is stuck in that position, sorry. <3
Yeah SexyMike i heard has a nice lambda. I Wish I could've gone but alas :(.

Hopefully next time we play I can show you a few new tricks I learned~~.

Top Bottom