• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I dunno if ZeroX or DTL is better, but they're both amazing.

As for the HG/SS thingy Underload, I'll just wait for the English ones to come out. It makes it twenty times more awesome when I finally do get it.

Also, Moblin, I left my phone in Fred's car, so you won't be able to text me or anything tonight. :<

Rizen

Smash Legend
Also, I've got some gamestop cash left, anyone getting Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2? Looks pretty sweet, but I needs people to play with.
X-Men Legends 2 worked but Marvel Ultimate Alliance didn't. The ensemble of characters was too cheesy. 'Just my opinion here. I didn't like Kingdom Hearts serious for the same reason.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
***** on his arm, and a crown? He really is the king.

Maybe that's a groupie, though.

When does SS come out?

Yeah...I'm definitely the best Tink in state...bring up the lulzy dittos again...I dare you...not really though....
OMG I wanna play someone...Someone drive here NAO!!!
Nite has a better Tink. Zerox might, too. Truefacts.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Tony is failing kinda hard...
You don't/can't even play brawl...
BTW That $50 MM is on with the rules you said: Five games, if I don't get four stocked every game I win.
^^

MK.II

Smash Rookie
Zerox has a pretty awesome TL. I'm going to guess and say he's the best in state. Even though he doesn't really play much anymore.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Tony is failing kinda hard...
You don't/can't even play brawl...
BTW That $50 MM is on with the rules you said: Five games, if I don't get four stocked every game I win.
^^
Who's your character?

EDIT: Also, lolol@can't play Brawl. This is coming from the guy who's done what, again?

EDIT 2: Let's make this interesting. You put $50 on your game, same conditions. Only you have to 3 stock me every time. You say I can't play, show me.

MK.II

Smash Rookie
Who's your character?

EDIT: Also, lolol@can't play Brawl. This is coming from the guy who's done what, again?

EDIT 2: Let's make this interesting. You put $50 on your game, same conditions. Only you have to 3 stock me every time. You say I can't play, show me.

Tony, I'll 5 dollar MM you at Melee for funzies. : D

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
oooho ****, I can't wait to see this MM. Here's a tip for DTL: Melee players can play Brawl, Brawl players can't play melee.

The carryover just isn't the same. :(

Nite's everything sucks.

You should all just pick characters no one else plays, like moblin and I did.

QFT, and then get really good with them

actually I haven't played Brawl in like a month haha

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
lol Hell no Tony I can't 3 stock you everytime in brawl....
I'm just making the point that you didn't know what you were getting yourself into.
Also, Dekar...Shut the **** up...You play Diddy...You don't need a secondary. You try going from Snake to Snake as Tink. It's frustrating and boring.
I don't honestly care too much if you guys aren't sure I'm the best Tink in state, but I know I am, which is really what matter :p
So, are you bailing on the MM with your conditions? And no, I won't do the same for brawl. Even pro v scrub, three stocking isn't guaranteed, as in melee.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
There's one thing I'm still confused on from all this chest puffing macho-show down:

What does it matter being the best of a character in CO?

meleemarth

Smash Ace
im gonna say this simple and plain...... brawl sucks.
Theres no point in that lameness.

Anyways, i wanna say a couple of things. I am planning on throwing a smashfest at my house. Its gonna be majority MELEE. So if you enjoy melee then plan on coming. If you new guys dont like melee then, i guess us old peeps will have all the fun then :)
Well i was thinking about starting up some craziness in the scene again. I say we should all start putting some teams together. I know when i quit everyone had their partner. Me and ferdi, rafa and chap.... etc, so I say since its the new time around, lets mix things up. Everyones gotta get a new parter and come up with new names.

The rules are probably gonna be the same old good rules.
2v2
4 stock
no items
same stages as usual

If you guys wanna do a 1v1 tournament, we'll set that up AFTER the 2v2. Anyways, im pretty sure everyone can stay the night. And we have a few restuarants here in Monument now. So i was thinking for lunch, mabe all of us can go **** a restaurant. Let me know what you guys think. Im pretty sure everyone could stay over for the night. I wanna state this loud and clear!!!! the no. 1 rule of this is to just have a good time. I miss the old days, and i wanna try to bring atleast part of it back. Ill let u guys know when im gonna throw it. Ill need some ppl to bring gc's or wii's and tv's. Lastly, i wanna say that i am really looking forward to meeting all the old guys again and having a good time. Aside from the old guys, im also looking forward to meet all you new guys too!

im sure if we had enough motivation and participation we could get melee back into the cutthroat!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Victor, I'd be down for that. Lemme know when, and I'll letcha know what's going on with me.

Tony, I'll 5 dollar MM you at Melee for funzies. : D
I'd be down for that. Terms? Maybe I can do a $5 mm in barwl after, for funzies. Assuming you dun **** me hard in Melee. =(

lol Hell no Tony I can't 3 stock you everytime in brawl....
I'm just making the point that you didn't know what you were getting yourself into.
Also, Dekar...Shut the **** up...You play Diddy...You don't need a secondary. You try going from Snake to Snake as Tink. It's frustrating and boring.
I don't honestly care too much if you guys aren't sure I'm the best Tink in state, but I know I am, which is really what matter :p
So, are you bailing on the MM with your conditions? And no, I won't do the same for brawl. Even pro v scrub, three stocking isn't guaranteed, as in melee.
I'll do it, but if you're gonna be a ***** about your MM, imma be the same with mine. I won't do it until you confirm your character. Mine is going to be ZSS in Brawl. Who's your Melee char?

If I suck that bad, you should at least be able to 3 stock me, right? Shame you aren't skilled enough to 3 stock me every time. Believe it or not, your opponent has to be SIGNIFICANTLY worse than you in Melee to do a 4 stock every time. Oh, but I guess that, technically, it's easier, since you actually have to be GOOD to be good at Melee. With Brawl, you can spam **** and kill good players.

Oh, and let's make it better. If you win ONE round of Melee, you can take $100 off of me. The reverse goes for Brawl. And I want to see the money beforehand, because you're just the kind of white kid that would show up to an expensive MM running your mouth, and then say you don't have the money after you lose.

So, who's tough now? Either man up or shut up.

Or would the little kid rather quit and go for something he's used to, like a $5 MM in his ****ty game that he's not even doing hot in? I'm just sayin', a guy who doesn't even play anymore took the last two tournaments.

---

Oh, hey guize, look! It's some random poster's NDK review!

---

Alright, here's my review of this year's NDK:

Panels:

There were very few panels this year, and even less quality ones. It's almost as if NDK decided that they would let pretty much anyone do anything, but decided to cap the limit of people doing panels to 10 or so. While there were some good ones (or so the grapevine has told me), the panels in general seem to be filled with fantastic misconceptions of Japan and how the magical island really works.

4/10

Dealer's/Art Room:

I stopped spending money at the Dealer's room after 2 years of nothing but overpriced pocky and Naruto headbands/doujin/yaoi/yaoi headband doujin. That and a tight budget made a trip to the dealer's room pretty much useless, imho. It may have been fantastic, but considering my friend brought $200 and walked out with a $3 wristband, I'm leaning towards the dealer's room going to hell, much like the panels.

The Art room is like browsing DA. There are about 40 terrible fanarts, and 2-3 decent ones. There may be some original work, but it's pretty rare, and normally priced higher than it would ever be worth. I'm also still sour about having my art stolen the one year I put it on display, so I don't really go there anymore.

N/A

Staff:

Some members were decent human beings. The VGR and some of the security were so overwhelmingly abusive to con-goers that I can't really give this a good score. At one point, a security member came up to a friend of mine and told her she needed to get her "weapon" piece bonded. Fair enough. It's mostly paper, but we understand how it's kinda a thing with NDK to piece bond all weapons, functional or not, so we didn't really complain. Then he goes ahead and tells her that if he ever sees her using it to threaten people, even jokingly, that she'll get a strike/kicked out/etc. Okay, that's fine. He then says he'll do it personally without hesitation, and that made me feel more than a little threatened. I can't imagine she was too happy, either.

For my complaints about the VGR staff, see below

We know the staff runs NDK, we don't need them threatening us to remind us of their "power". But I guess when you're 30, living with mom, and just got fired from McD's, it's hard to be civil.

Guests:

I didn't get to see any, and was surprised to hear that the chick that did Nu's voice work was there, and playing BB. This makes me incredibly happy, so grats on doing that bit right. I didn't really hear about anyone else special, and we chose to go to Wendy's instead of listen to the group that was booked to play Friday (I think it was Friday, anyway).

6/10

Anime Viewing Rooms:

Standard fare, not my thing, so I'm not gonna rate, as it would be incredibly biased.

N/A

Video Game Room:

Okay, honestly, I wrote this whole review just so that I could talk about this. In all honesty, the Video Game Room has been something of a running joke for the past 7 years. It may have actually always been a joke, but I've only been going for 7 years, so I dunno.

Where do I start?

How about the good stuff, first?

- Good variety of games. Super Gem Fighter, JJBA, Marvel, Brawl, BB, and the old arcade units outside of the room were all fantastic.
- Didn't smell too terrible!
- Rules and schedule were posted for quick access and viewing

Now for the bad stuff

- Despite a good selection of games, most of the controllers were in pretty bad condition.

The X-Arcade comes to mind in particular. Unresponsive buttons, happ sticks (or knockoffs) with waaaaaaay too much tension, and being awkwardly crowded right next to someone that hasn't bathed in a week=/=good time. The gamecube controllers were wonky (as always). Funny enough, the Sega Saturn pads were passable. Props to whoever actually takes care of their belongings.

- BAAAAAAAD controllers/controller options for tournament.

I didn't even come on Sunday after hearing that we would be required to play BlazBlue on the notoriously bad xbox pads.

- Staff members treating attendants like contemptious garbage.

Seriously, what was with the staff? They shut people down at every possible chance, they're rude, and they don't even know their own schedule. If I didn't know better, I'd think that the only phrase was "Go look on the wall". Maybe they were all just hideously disfigured robots posing as humans (except Buddy, he's real). Either way, I don't know of a single person that wasn't treated like utter garbage by the staff. NDK really should stop hiring people that have no idea what's going on, especially when they're incredibly rude and abrupt to anyone they encounter.

- Supply<<<<<<Demand

Okay, so imagine you have a game that a LOT of people like. We're talking 80+ people are willing to enter a tournament in the VGR for it, regardless of how poorly run said tourney may be. Now, imagine you're having friendly play for it. Compared to a game that has exactly 3 people interested in it, how many set-ups would you bring?

Personally, I would ditch this whole "one TV per game during casual play" approach. It's stupid. Dedicate 2 stations to unknown/unpopular/nostalgic games, and put the games that everyone likes on multiple TVs. A great example of this is Brawl, where there were 20 people lined up at any given moment, and only one set-up. Anyone who's ever played Brawl knows that if it's anything short of 2 minute timed matches, any given match can take from 4-8 minutes. Even then, 2 minute timed FFA matches are a slap in the face to anyone who waits for 15+ minutes. Worse still is the fact that average playtime between rounds was 30 minutes.

Don't even get me started on how you had to wait 30 minutes for one match of Blazblue. That's just ridiculous.

GET MORE SET-UPS FOR THE GAMES PEOPLE LIKE! PLEASE!

- Locking the seats together.

Maybe this was due to people stealing chairs while the VGR staff did absolutely nothing.

- The tournaments

These are perhaps the longest running joke on this side of the country. Best of 1? Okay. Single Elim? That's fine. I understand that it's a large event, and the people who volunteer/are paid to work in the VGR don't actually do anything that has to deal with competitive gaming.

But these random arbitrary rules are really stupid.

A couple years back, there was a GNT tournament. I spent a month practicing with a friend so that we could win the tournament. I had my combos, frame traps, and team assist stuff down pretty pat, and was really stoked to see what would happen.

Sure enough, something did. The staff decided that a tournament should follow the story of Naruto. Suddenly, I went from playing Jiraiya (my main) to having to play Rock Lee, a character I'd never touched, because the only Genin either of us knew how to play was Neji.

Please, could someone explain to me how limiting a person to one or two character out of 20 or so is a good idea? It sounds like more of a gimmick to punish people who actually try to win.

Oh, and don't even get me started on being FORCED to use gamestop/madcatz controllers that don't work.

I didn't even show up to the BlazBlue tournament on Sunday because I knew we'd be forced to play on Xbox pad. In fact, I just left Saturday night with no intention to come back to the slack-off fest that is Sunday at NDK.

I play Carl. It's really impossible to be good with him on pad. Yeah, I know the guy that won was a Carl player on pad. I'm actually the one who brought him. He had no competition, and he knows it as well as I do. If he were to play against ANY Colorado player while we used our preferred controls and he was stuck on pad, I can guarantee he'd lose. I'd also put money on me perfecting him at least once every couple matches.

Nothing against him, of course. He's GREAT on stick, but on xbox pad, he's pretty terrible.

I'm not going to enter a tournament that forces me to play on a crappy controller, just so that Little r----- Jimmy can feel like he's something special. Casuals are for that, not tournaments. The fact that, even if I were to sign a waiver, I can't use my own controllers in tournament is just ridiculous. I really don't get why NDK can't get out of the 1990's and accept that some people are better at certain games than others, and those people like to play with their own controllers, or at least passable imitations. Get 2 SFIV TE sticks for next year if you're so obsessed with not allowing people to play on their own controllers.

Oh, and the fact that another friend got yelled at for ending matches with excessive supers is really stupid. It wastes 3 more seconds. Get over yourselves, you power-tripping weeaboos.

Better yet, get someone that knows what they're doing.

- No space to walk/stand

This is a huge problem. The VGR is probably one of the busiest rooms in all of NDK. Unfortunately, it's also one of the smaller ones. Having to push past people just to get to the 3rd station in the room is more than just common occurence; it's pretty much required. This+poor ventilation makes the video game room even worse than it already is.

- Too many other problems to mention

The video game room was so bad that I drove back home, grabbed my xbox, came back, and set up a full station for BB casuals in the Game Corner with a friend. Guess what? We were busy the whole time, and everyone that visited commented on how much better managed+maintained our ONE set-up was than the entire VGR. We had 2 pads, and 2 sticks, all functioning. Not only that, when someone else wanted to play, we let them plug in their controller and reconfigure it before each match. And you know what? People were actually ENJOYING themselves. We had at least 15 people or so the entire time up until about 20 minutes before the Rave/Dance/Muggy Swamp Thing.

Of course, now that I've mentioned it, NDK will probably ban it. Can't let our patrons enjoy themselves, neh?

- Using the misnomer of "free" as an excuse for a TERRIBLE Video Game Experience

I dunno about everyone that goes to NDK, but the biggest reason I go is to meet new people in the VGR. I can't say I'll be doing that for much longer. I'll give NDK one more try, but I don't know if I'll even bother paying for a 3 day ticket, though. Friday and Sunday are pretty much filler days, with absolutely nothing of note going on.

Oh! And that cool-down stuff is BS. I've run countless systems for weeks without any "cool-down", and all of my systems (even my NES) run flawlessly. It would be more acceptable if the game room were open for more than 6 hours in a day. The fact that the game room was closed for close to 4 hours for a tournament that wasn't even being held in the same wing of the hotel is evidence enough that the VGR staff really care about their patrons. Oh well, it's not like we're powerless. If they can't do it right, I guess that Wasabi and StarFest will be the only conventions for me to attend. At least they know how to run a game room properly.

1/10

Overall:

This is easily the most disappointing NDK I've ever been to, and the second worst convention I've been to in my entire life. I've noticed a downward trend in the quality of NDK, but maybe it's always been this bad and I'm just finally coming to realize that all NDK does is accept donations from parents who want their kids to have a good time. I dunno. I'll give it one more go, but I seriously doubt that, given their track record, the NDK staff is going to do much about it.

3.5/10

Rizen

Smash Legend
Melee and Brawl are apples and oranges. If regulations are placed on certain 'repeat a simple pattern and win the stock' tactics, which Cutthroat is doing, Brawl is much better than when it's not regulated. Heavy/slow characters seriously got the raw deal in Brawl.
Melee would be very hard to play well after playing Brawl a lot, but Brawl is a painful transition from Melee if your character's bad in the air.
This is opinionated, not a debate starter.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Tony, I never said I would do the MM with the same rules in brawl. I've admitted I can't 3 stock you consistently. The brawl MM has nothing to do with the melee MM.
I'll do regular MM's with you in brawl, but I am not the one who made up your rules. My point is simply that you are being far too cocky in melee and that, even though you are obviously better, you can't actually 3 stock me consistently.
I don't actually want to do the MM, as with your rules it's clearly going to just be me taking $50 from you. I just want you to admit you are being far too arrogant with your melee skill. If you still want to, I'll do the MM. No, I will not do the brawl MM with 3 stocking every time, but that was never part of your offer. To deny the melee one will simply be you looking for an excuse.
I've always liked you, Tony, and I get that you hate my game and I suck at yours, but you're kind of being an ***. I get it; I'm a little kid. My game takes no skill, which...I mean really...You can't believe that....Don't take any of this as a personal attack, as it is simply me defending myself on your claim.
Do you remember how this started? UL said he wanted a capture card to make a combo video. You told him Brawl combo videos are stupid. I said they are better than Melee ones because to me, comboing in a comboless game is much more impressive. I know Melee combos were often not automatic and involved tech-chasing, but I don't care. Brawl combos don't even really exist. In my mind, that's impressive and in your mind, melee is much more impressive. I don't care.

I'll say it again, if you want to, I accept your MM in melee if you want to.
The brawl one has NOTHING to do with this one and we can discuss it after if we must.

stupid videogaming conflict/

Meno: Which ones? I've been looking at them, but do you mean the ones vs Underload?

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
im gonna say this simple and plain...... brawl sucks.
Theres no point in that lameness.

Anyways, i wanna say a couple of things. I am planning on throwing a smashfest at my house. Its gonna be majority MELEE. So if you enjoy melee then plan on coming. If you new guys dont like melee then, i guess us old peeps will have all the fun then :)
Well i was thinking about starting up some craziness in the scene again. I say we should all start putting some teams together. I know when i quit everyone had their partner. Me and ferdi, rafa and chap.... etc, so I say since its the new time around, lets mix things up. Everyones gotta get a new parter and come up with new names.

The rules are probably gonna be the same old good rules.
2v2
4 stock
no items
same stages as usual

If you guys wanna do a 1v1 tournament, we'll set that up AFTER the 2v2. Anyways, im pretty sure everyone can stay the night. And we have a few restuarants here in Monument now. So i was thinking for lunch, mabe all of us can go **** a restaurant. Let me know what you guys think. Im pretty sure everyone could stay over for the night. I wanna state this loud and clear!!!! the no. 1 rule of this is to just have a good time. I miss the old days, and i wanna try to bring atleast part of it back. Ill let u guys know when im gonna throw it. Ill need some ppl to bring gc's or wii's and tv's. Lastly, i wanna say that i am really looking forward to meeting all the old guys again and having a good time. Aside from the old guys, im also looking forward to meet all you new guys too!

im sure if we had enough motivation and participation we could get melee back into the cutthroat!

I've been waiting for this guy

FOR SO LONG T.T

Anyways, I suck at melee pretty badly, but I would definitely come to that.

Yeeaaaahhh, DTL, all this is just Tony's way of saying Melee > Brawl, which the majority of old gamers that have played other games agree with.
and me.
That being said, don't let it get to you much.

Tony, that review write-up was pretty good. I think you should blog it/email it to NDK so that maybe they'll work towards a slightly better game room next year.

Underload

Lazy
Also, the videos of me vs. Meno are mediocre at best, seeing as they were friendlies (both of us were sandbaggin'). The set we played in tourney was competitive, but I don't think those got saved.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
One or two of those (The Rainbow Cruise one!) and maybe one or two of us would be fantastic.

I don't "sandbag" per say in friendlies, but I'm not totally useless. If there are any tournament games of me saved though, I'd highly prefer those.

Ravin

Smash Lord
@ Tony - I feel the very same. I turned in a badge I had found to the one dude with short black hair who sat between Brawl and MvC2 for awhile. And he just gave me the DIRTIEST look like he had to DO something. About five minutes later another staff asked me why I turned it in there, and I said "Because Its your job? I could have thrown it away." and I walked off.

YangFuShang

Smash Apprentice
DTL, i'll mm u in melee and also mm match u in brawl so u have chance to break even. Also if anyone loses to me in brawl, u need alot more practice.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Nah. I don't play/ like melee.
I'll friendly you in Brawl or MM if you're willing, but I don't enjoy melee like I used to...
If you're a really set on it, I'll pick up young link again, but last time I played him, I kept trying to Zair> Nair >__>
The ONLY game I truly like is brawl. I don't find it boring, nor campy, nor noobish, nor broken, nor random. I get a lot of people don't like it, but I'm not one of them. I wanna get good, but above all, I wanna play more people more often. I REALLY freaking enjoy playing it. I like winning money, but I really just wanna stay in a tournament so I can get to play more and better people. I <3 brawl

I used to like melee, but I feel like some aspects are too fast. In melee, you just CAN'T power shield almost all melee attacks. In Brawl, like half of them can be PSd on reaction. I like that aspect. I see how people love melee, but it just isn't for me.

Also, promise that if I do MM you in melee, there will be no complaints about how gay my Young Link plays.

meleemarth

Smash Ace
Moblin how can have u been waiting for me for so long if you never even saw me LMAO. Also, im so confused as to whats happening now days. I hear sdsg is the best in the state at melee. But then i hear stuff about like m2k. Does he live in this state? or are you guys randomly talking about mew2king? anyways, i have some days off during the week. I usually have tuesday and thursday off. So if anyone near monument wants to play we can. or if randonly someone from denver wants to play for the day u can come down.

I wanna know, why do any of you guys even bother with brawl? its absolutely terrible. I remember when i tried it online with my friend tan and there was like a 1 sec delay. Apart from that, its so bad. Brawl is like that melee mode where everything is slowed down. LLLLLLLLLLaaaaaaaaaammmmmeeee. You guys need to conform to melee. I think mabe us melee vets should pick 1 person to train. So then mabe the brawl peeps will actually have what it takes.

meleemarth

Smash Ace
yo man im not trying to start anything at all. im actually just tryin to get u guys to play melee. loL but whatever man, if your into brawl i cant change that. I mean brawl isnt like the worst game in the world. Its just for me atleast, when you go from melee , a game that requires so much talent and skill, and you go to brawl, a game where the creater specifically said he doesnt want it to be a competative game, it just ruins a lot man. I dont know, last thing id wanna do is make anyone mad on here. At my smashfest, i may or may not have brawl. Im sure there will be a couple of brawl games going on, but its gonna be a majority melee.

I dont mind you guys who play both melee or brawl. Just know if we do any type of 1v1 or 2v2 tournament, its gonna be melee.

DTL i think you should come, just so you can try melee again. I can pretty much assure you that you will be more impressed with it. If you would like, id be happy to help u get good. You sound like a competative player and thats good. I suppose you can keep winning in brawl or w/e you do but for the melee guys, its not even about winning anymore. Its about having a good time. As for me, i just wanna seriously focus on the mindgame aspect of melee. There is seriously nothing else like it. Anyways, let me know if u want me to train u a lil or something. Id be happy to train anyone who wants to learn.

and i may sound like im calling all the new guys noobs or something but im not. Ive simply been gone so long that i dont know if you guys are good or not. So if you see me at the tournament and you think im good, ask me and ill be happy to help anyone out.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I'd probably go to a melee fest anyways, because I like smash overall. I really don't care about getting good in melee, but I love the people in our smash community so I take anything I can get to hang with them.

Top Bottom