• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Bees!

Smash Ace
In what way do you need help?
For ROB
habit checks, new mixups I have been wanting to employ to my game, more practice being patient. Just warm back up to playing against people. (Its been a long time lol since I played anyone not named Steam)

With Kirby
Following through on amazing reads. just upping my game. I do pretty good at not attacking shields and hovering around right out reach of most opponents. I could really use more character practice. Also MK exp for Kirby as well as ROB. Kirby v MK is supposed to be slightly MKs favor...not sure why.(seems rather one sided if your name is not Chudat) But my ROB does better in that MU. My Kirby needs that practice too as it gives me another option and a character to switch to that is an entirely different style of play.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I'm preparing for Zournament by not playing Brawl, not watching anything helpful, and not knowing when Zournament is. Seriously, I know it's coming up soon, but an exact date would be helpful.

Also, let me ruin this future-successful troll post by posting some stupid troll picture alerting others that I realize this post is trolling.

Bees!

Smash Ace
What? I was just saying he looks british. Lighten up you care to much about what that pretentious player that thinks he is in any room to talk about being a good player says just because he is from California. He really had good points but overall he based all his assumptions off of a friendly(3 actually) and you only asked for advice on one. Take his advice with a grain of salt.

SaberPrime

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, Arkansan here.

Gonna be visiting Colorado for a week coming up this Sunday. Are there any tournaments coming up during my stay? Would be cool to meet some out of state smashers.

Steam

Smash Hero
you're too aggro anyways. because you approach me more than 0 times per match.

@saber guy- Not tourneys but smashfests... it also really depends on where in Colorado you'll be...

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
bish the beginning of the 3rd millenium tops everything
Heh. You were more lucky you were born in the time I lived. XP

For ROB
habit checks, new mixups I have been wanting to employ to my game, more practice being patient. Just warm back up to playing against people. (Its been a long time lol since I played anyone not named Steam)
For ROB: Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai
And read your worst MU's beforehand. Don't consider worrying about MK, just counterpick as MK. Trust me on this one, don't waste your time with the ROB/MK MU. :)

For Kirby: Sudai used to main Melee Kirby, so he might be able to help you there. Try asking in the Kirby social too.

Also, for both- if it's practice you need, don't wifi or fight level 9 cpu's. That doesn't help because fighting a real time match with another person is completely different than those. Try getting to tourneys more and if you can't, ask your friends to come over where you are. If you can't get around people to practice, the best practice is no practice.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Heh. You were more lucky you were born in the time I lived. XP

For ROB: Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai Ask Sudai
And read your worst MU's beforehand. Don't consider worrying about MK, just counterpick as MK. Trust me on this one, don't waste your time with the ROB/MK MU. :)

For Kirby: Sudai used to main Melee Kirby, so he might be able to help you there. Try asking in the Kirby social too.

Also, for both- if it's practice you need, don't wifi or fight level 9 cpu's. That doesn't help because fighting a real time match with another person is completely different than those. Try getting to tourneys more and if you can't, ask your friends to come over where you are. If you can't get around people to practice, the best practice is no practice.

I do okay despite not having mastered the MK MU ahead of time. Also cping MK seems pointless to me(he does better than any character you would have in every situation so to CP him JUST for MK dittos(would be a waste of his brokenness) Also Kirby in melee is way different than Brawl. Certain staple moves he has in Brawl were punishable in melee. I mainly watch videos of Chudat to get the playing smart and reading part down.
Now as for ROB my ROB is actually pretty good. Just not playing enough people consistently I have developed some habits like being impatient and not camping. I need to play some people so I can play smart.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I need to play some people so I can play smart.
Wifi is a different metagame and not as good as live matches but it is good for practice. I've seen smart, uncommon tactics I wouldn't have thought of. It helps timing and spacing judgment because the lag forces people to not only attack on reaction. You can't use it to learn MUs. Wifi is better than nothing and will help you think smart so you can adapt to smart offline playing.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
The incorporated lag may make you think differently but it isn't something very predictable on two different connections. The lag is also something else you would have to try to learn around instead of more tactics you could use in matches, and the fact that it varies means that it's still not static and worked around all the time. People play much faster in real life and if you play wifi for your practice you will get used to it and get used to reacting more slowly. Also, no practice is beneficial because it gives your hands and mind a break to relax and refresh, and when you come back to it you can learn better and see things in a different way than before.

It's not happening again. What she was referring to was a total lunar eclipse on the Winter Solstice, which really hasn't happened in 400 years.
This is true. :)

Also cping MK seems pointless to me(he does better than any character you would have in every situation so to CP him JUST for MK dittos(would be a waste of his brokenness)
Just not playing enough people consistently I have developed some habits like being impatient and not camping. I need to play some people so I can play smart.
CPing MK with MK is pretty much all you can do if you want to do well against MK... as far as I know, at least. I'd think that since he has his own tier rating that the only real chance you'd have with winning against an MK is as an MK. Provided that their MK is any good, anyway.
And yeah, I have the same problem. My parents barely let me go to tourneys so I have pretty much no way of getting any practice whatsoever. I mostly forget about Brawl and do other things, with the occasional few hours of lv. 9 cpu practice if I ever feel like it, which is not often at all (several months apart).

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
No really. He was never a top Rob. And oh my god bees, you know the MK matchup at least as well as you know any non-lucario matchup.

And sapphire... None of the stuff you're saying about mk is true :/

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Top ROB as defined by tournament placings? Maybe not. As far as knowledge? I'd say he is, very much so. He's not the only one, I know, there are a few others like JCz, Chibo, Overswarm, and stingers that I can say off the top of my head. You could ask all of them for their opinions, it would give you different views on ROB and his playstyles.

About MK, I wasn't really sure but that's what I was thinking anyway. :/ It depends on the MK skill and knowledge of MK's hardest MU's.

Edit: He was a top ROB in the local tournaments he did go to, when he still played seriously. After some years of playing it got stagnant and he kind of left it alone. But his knowledge of ROB is extensive.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
Wait wait wait.

Did someone REALLY compare melee kirby to brawl kirby? I'm pretty tired so I hope I just imagined it.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Definitely fair enough. But I'm not gonna lie, no matter how out of practice he was, I can still tell that Bees is significantly better.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
poor dylan.

complaining when people don't talk about brawl, and complaining when people do talk about brawl.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The incorporated lag may make you think differently but it isn't something very predictable on two different connections. The lag is also something else you would have to try to learn around instead of more tactics you could use in matches, and the fact that it varies means that it's still not static and worked around all the time. People play much faster in real life and if you play wifi for your practice you will get used to it and get used to reacting more slowly. Also, no practice is beneficial because it gives your hands and mind a break to relax and refresh, and when you come back to it you can learn better and see things in a different way than before.
Wifi's not the same kind of practice as offline. Bees said "I need to play some people so I can play smart." and wifi does help people see the spacing, move lag, and buffering that people across the country/world use. Tracking the animation helps a player's game be more fluent.
I agree it's not good right before an offline event for the reasons you mentioned but it helps people grasp the game dynamics and regional play styles. To phrase it better, wifi is good experience if not practice.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
It's true wifi may be a good alternate experience, but I wouldn't say it's good for practice. Wifi as practice can mean slower reactions in real matches, especially if you practice wifi more than you do with people (in this case it would be likely).

Wait wait wait.

Did someone REALLY compare melee kirby to brawl kirby? I'm pretty tired so I hope I just imagined it.
Lmfao XD I don't really play Kirby much, so I just said might as in might. Wasn't sure. Lol

Definitely fair enough. But I'm not gonna lie, no matter how out of practice he was, I can still tell that Bees is significantly better.
Bees probably seems better because Sudai wasn't playing seriously and/or hadn't played Brawl in a long time and/or wasn't paying full attention, probably and for all three of those. XD But I'm not going to argue about who's better or worse or anything. You've seen more of Bees' play and I've seen more of Sudai's. XD Bees said he wanted ROB help so I directed him to someone who could. :o

poor dylan.

complaining when people don't talk about brawl, and complaining when people do talk about brawl.
Lol XD

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
Sapphire I think those other players you mentioned could help a lot more than Sudai. I don't think he knows much about the current metagame.

And for a ROB main it is definitely not worth dittoing mk. If your going to do that you might as well just main mk. (Honestly I think a person's main is who they use against mk).

Bees I seem to have the same trouble as you with my ROB. It is just too aggressive, and no matter what I can never seem to camp enough. I'm wondering if it's because ROB really isn't that great at camping once people actually figure out how to powershield. Or it could be we really only get good practice with one person offline and that just gives us bad habits.

As for wifi I'm not entirely sure what to think. Some people play wifi and get really good, Ally and more locally Dave and Fish, while others don't seem to get anywhere offline despite plenty of experience, Okami and myself (even though it sounds like okami has gotten a lot better offline). It kind of seems like to me that wifi helps if you play like your offline. Stop doing stupid stuff like rolling w/ lucario or nairing w/ snake *looks at okami*. An example of this was when I played fino online. Obivously he is way better than me, but our games where close. He played like he was offline being agressive and almost no spam. I probably spammed, which was why the match was close. Or he could have just had an off day his rank is still much higher than me on the ladder. Meh...

Edit: Wow i think this is my longest post ever. That is kinda sad.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Sapphire I think those other players you mentioned could help a lot more than Sudai. I don't think he knows much about the current metagame.

And for a ROB main it is definitely not worth dittoing mk. If your going to do that you might as well just main mk. (Honestly I think a person's main is who they use against mk).
I think he knows enough to help with the current metagame and give advice on any issues you have with ROB in general. Everyone's input would give a bigger variety of opinions in general and Bees can decide which ones suit him best personally. I should have said everyone who could help the first time though, I admit that.

As for the MK ditto, it was just my opinion on that. :/ If I wanted to win against an MK, I would probably MK ditto. It's fun to play as my main against an MK but I wouldn't expect to win unless something happened to the MK/the MK was bad. ROB vs MK is especially bad. Bees could use a secondary against MK in that case.

Sudai

Stuff here
Bees I seem to have the same trouble as you with my ROB. It is just too aggressive, and no matter what I can never seem to camp enough. I'm wondering if it's because ROB really isn't that great at camping once people actually figure out how to powershield.
It's the power shielding. ROB doesn't camp for damage, he camps for annoyance. Projectiles are just too slow to effectively camp for damage.

Moblin

Smash Apprentice
I have a job interview with a company that is way out of my league in about 2 hours. I am nervous as ****

Also stop talking about Brawl, what do you think this is, a forum for it?

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
>< Good luck on the interview, just be calm and be yourself and be confident. If you have a scent you really like, try wearing it or at least smelling it before you go so you can be calm. :o

And lol XD

Top Bottom