• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chicago-Land Power Rankings (Updated 12/30/2011)

ORLY

Smash Master
All the top tier MUs are even IMO

You just can't get away with bullying / autopilot / nonsensery like they can against the better MUs.

EDIT: but to get back on topic and answer your original question: no, you cannot be a Midwest villain.

Tink

Smash Hero
heh, what we really need to talk about is how falcon apprently needs to move up to the bottem of top tier 0_o.....falcons are putting in work again and again....im confised why he doesnt move up.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
All the top tier MUs are even IMO

You just can't get away with bullying / autopilot / nonsensery like they can against the better MUs.

EDIT: but to get back on topic and answer your original question: no, you cannot be a Midwest villain.
If you're a hero, im definitely a villain

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
Falco doesn't have any "even" matchups
The last thing I want to discuss is Falco's very obvious homosexuality.
I have no problems with gays, but I dont want details.
To your earlier question, fox/puff can approach more safely, so they get to choose when engagements occur.
Approaching is almost never "safe", but Sheik REALLY sticks her neck out when she does.

john!

Smash Hero
sheik is amazing jeff, wtf are you talking about??

just because she isn't as blatantly ridiculous as the spacies doesn't mean she's not extremely good or that you can't win a tournament with her

Quaz

Smash Master
Cmon John and Jeff, you really need to stop blaming your character.

gotta remember that everyone is human, no one is perfect at the game. Unless you're playing a super bad character its possible to win.

Quaz

Smash Master
John Im aware Peach has her limits, but don't you think you blame the problem on her a bit too much?

I really hope you dont expect to win with the mentality that you are spacies and only apply that. you'll only beat subpar people with that attitude.

ORLY

Smash Master
lol you guys just gotta love your main

i am falling in love with falcon all over again

AND BOWSER OMFG

john!

Smash Hero
John Im aware Peach has her limits, but don't you think you blame the problem on her a bit too much?

I really hope you dont expect to win with the mentality that you are spacies and only apply that. you'll only beat subpar people with that attitude.
i'm trying to perform as well as i can. if that means being realistic about how good i am with my "main" in comparison to my secondaries, then so what? was armada "blaming his character" by switching to yl in the puff matchup? of course he was, but why is that a bad thing?

Quaz

Smash Master
i'm trying to perform as well as i can. if that means being realistic about how good i am with my "main" in comparison to my secondaries, then so what? was armada "blaming his character" by switching to yl in the puff matchup? of course he was, but why is that a bad thing?
I guess, keep in mind that he switched to a low tier though =P

Im not really trying to say that switching characters is a bad thing, I just think your reason for doing it is well.. eeeh... not as great? to me it just seems like you're going in thinking "okay, Im fox/falco.. so I should win everytime now" it doesnt work that way against better players. but if you actually do go further then the mentality that you're the best characters in the game, then that'll work out most likely! my apologies if thats the case.

Spife

Smash Master
everyone should just main falcon, or everyone should just main falco. It's an ultimatum because there wasn't one book called "A Brave New '84"

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
some characters are better suited for a player's skillset, perhaps you will find yourself doing better with the spacies. I played a lot of marth in my day, but i just couldn't get good with him. My ganon has been my best 2ndary by far in my smash career, idk he just feels right when i play him.

oh and ice climbers **** falco for free

Scythe

Smash Master
my problem is that i try to many different characters and dont master anything. This happens with pretty much everything for me though, I play random in Dota 2 and I used to play random when I played Starcraft 2.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think sticking to one character as long as possible is the best option. Look at all the top pros: Hax, Dr PP, Hungrybox, Armada, Jman, Wobbles... they all stick to their main in almost every situation, and if not its because they have planned to change ahead of time. If you can beat someone, you should be able to do it with your main. Switching characters is just a gimmick and gimmicks aren't reliable in competitive play.

Tink

Smash Hero
pshhhhhhh.....i put the names of azen, pc chris, kdj, m2k out there to counter that...these guys played multiple chars and ruled in their days 0_o.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
But they focused on one character at a time. Eventually M2K had a fox marth and sheik, but first he had a fox, then he had a fox and marth, then he had all three. Same with PC and KDJ. Idk about azen tho

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
True, but not all techs are important for every character. In SF terms, hadoken spacing isn't that important if you play viper.

Spife

Smash Master
nah but it teaches you about hadoken spacing really well.
I mean, I'm maining falcon to get better at sheik (i'm learning **** like putting hit boxes where people are going and hte importance of finishing your food)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Learning how to do it with falcon won't help you learning to do it with sheik. You already know what to do, you just need to spend time learning how

Spife

Smash Master
I disagree.
My sheik (since it's MY sheik, after all) has habits that I fall into and it's harder to not play into those habits. My falcon has habits too (obviously) but I started the character fresh and learning how to play it (as well as putting hit boxes places).

errr basically, idk if my sheik can learn how to do that, but when I play falcon I keep my eyes wide open for people doing stupid **** that I can hit them for. Now I can go back to sheik with a better idea of what to look for, even though I can't do it the EXACT same way.

buttttttt to support your thesis, I played sheik for like two days and then switched to falcon since moving, and playing smash nearly every day has helped my falcon out a lot.

Edit: I still disagree. I forgot that playing falcon vs mattdotplanetzebes' falco taught/retaught the importance of fluid movement (like wavelanding on platforms is souporsalad good). I know how to deal with falco's lasers as sheik, and now I have another option.

tl;dr 14.3K POSTS WTF?!

Top Bottom