• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tactical Discussion

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
i prefer 45% Rock Smash to grab, actually. :D
I agree with this unless Usmash will actually get you a kill.

I'm starting to use Nair more with Charizard. I've mainly been using it because near the end of the move it sends you away horizontally, but not that far. I 'dunknow.

T-block

B2B TST
N-air is good stuff ;D

Anyone else mix empty short hop -> grab into their approaches? I think I've done it a few times, but never consciously. In theory, it could be effective if you mix it in with sh-aerial approaches.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
The only thing is that "SH-aerials" pretty much comes down to Bair because all the other aerials are terrible approaching moves.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
full hop dair is kind of funny because it can auto cancel and can hit short people...

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
short hop flamethrower is GOOD

especially against characters with bad rolls

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
a short little combo that is pretty decent if it connects is a d air when they have some damage so they get spiked fast right into a rock smash on the way down.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
No comment.

OK, while a tiny bit off topic (I think), if we were to place each pokemon separately on the tier list, Where would Charizard go? (OK, I admit it, I am somewhat sad about PT's low tier placement, as low tier placement is essentially saying "this character sucks", and we all know that PT doesn't suck [that badly at least])

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yeah, well we all know that. I'm about to make a thread on everybody's view on the individual placement soon.

I haven't been playing for awhile, and I got like a week before My 17th birthday (Federal law states that you need to be 17 or older to see an R movie in the theater or get an M rated game Without parent permission, and I'm starting this new freedom with Left 4 Dead, so I will be VERY preoccupied), so I have like a week window.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
full hop dair is kind of funny because it can auto cancel and can hit short people...
DUDE

I just discovered this tactic, and Charizard just got a whole lot better in my eyes (combined with the fact that B-reversing Rock Smash is too good, apparently).

If the opponent is aggressive (as in, going for a grab or something similar) or is obviously leaving himself open in some way, this move is an amazing counterattack. Same with B-reversing Rock Smash, but that's somewhat situational.

Also, if an opponent jumps at you with the intent of attacking you while recovering, B-reversing a Rock Smash is really cool. Charizard just got neat quite fast.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Kind of strange though that I've had instances where I rock smashed someone and they had strange DI where they survived a rocksmashed at a really high percentage. I dont know if its because im doing it too early or if im doing it too late.

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
Chompy, it might be because they get hit by the rockshards that scatter might actually hit the opponent back so it cancels out the Knockback of the headshot.

*Excuse my crappy drawing*

By from here, I circled the rockshards. Let's say GnW was hit with the Rocksmash, I think the entire momentum of Rock Smash's knockback is canceled when hit directly at one or several rockshards. At higher percents, I think the opponent will actually fly faster than the rockshards will, and will catch up to the shards as they fly out, and if hit dead on, it'll entirely cancel the knockback.

At least that's my theory.

T-block

B2B TST
Dayum your opponent better be watchin out for Charizard's feces.

jk canvas. It's actually a really good drawing...that Charizard is sexy o.o better than anything i could do xP

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Charizard's jab can force stand ups.

Charge a Foward Smash lol.

Dair-->jab-->Foward Smash ftw

Wait, after testing it more, I found out that it does not always guarntee it.
but it forces stan ups sometimes.

I need to test it.

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
I find a good mind game is shorthopping and then fair. I makes my friends shield or roll away making it easier to predict their movement and hit them with a more powerful ground attack(ftilt, fsmash, dtilt) or you could grab them. It at least works on my friends.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
I find a good mind game is shorthopping and then fair. I makes my friends shield or roll away making it easier to predict their movement and hit them with a more powerful ground attack(ftilt, fsmash, dtilt) or you could grab them. It at least works on my friends.
They can always shield grab you. :/

Thanks for bumping this anyway.:colorful:

:094:

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
I love Fly. So sexy to kill with, or just use the super armor. It makes recovery much easier, and gimping zard hard. Anyone ever try to stage spike with fly?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Oh so true. The problem with it is that it is:
A: somewhat hard to control
and
B: Does not automatically latch on to a ledge.

Both of these are somewhat marginal, but they do serve as problems none of the less.

codfish92

Smash Ace
Denver Colorado: wishing it was never summer.
I love Fly. So sexy to kill with, or just use the super armor. It makes recovery much easier, and gimping zard hard. Anyone ever try to stage spike with fly?
Me and my friends did it on FD under the ledge. you get zard under your target, use fly, and with the last hit, they will bounce of the bottom of the ledge and go straight to the bottom of the screen! It's fun, but as far as i know it's impossible to survive afterwards.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I've done this a bunch of times, usually to my friend's Fox after he tries to shine me. Yessir, he's come to hate fair, bair, and Fly. :p

hundreds of utilts

Smash Apprentice
ok what's goin on with zard's jab cancel?? when i try to jab cancel into a grab or something else it always ends up finishing the jabs : /

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
ok what's goin on with zard's jab cancel?? when i try to jab cancel into a grab or something else it always ends up finishing the jabs : /
Try pressing down after you jab. That will break it up. Some people like to just time and attack out of it, but I find pressing down quickly and then inputting the next attack much easier.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
thanks a bunch man. that tip actually helped alot. now i just need to work on my sloppy timing xD
No sweat. After you practice jab canceling, you'll find it has tons of mindgame uses. It's not nearly as much **** with Charizard than, say, Falcon or Falco's JC, but it's good for some change-ups here and there.

Tenki

Smash Hero
So the other day, I was playing on wifi with PT, and realized Charizard can also do FIHL on certain aerials.

(Flame) Induced Hit lag.

has anyone ever delved into this with Charizard? XD

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
So the other day, I was playing on wifi with PT, and realized Charizard can also do FIHL on certain aerials.

(Flame) Induced Hit lag.

has anyone ever delved into this with Charizard? XD
Never even heard of that phrase. What exactly is it?

Toby.

Smash Master
FIHL = Fludd induced hit lag. It refers to mario and squirtle's FLUDD/Water Gun. basically when the opponent hits the water with an attack they accrue extra lag, allowing you to follow up the gun with another attack.

Flame induced hit lag would be the same thing except with fire instead of water.

:)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yeah, like diddy monkey flip kicking into flamethrower and the attack taking forever.

that name needs to change yo. FIHL is weaksauce. WGIHL is what it's all about

or just WIHL

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
FIHL = Fludd induced hit lag. Basically it refers to mario and squirtle's FLUDD/Water Gun. basically when the opponent hits the water with an attack they accrue extra lag, allowing you to follow up the gun with another attack.

Flame induced hit lag would be the same thing except with fire instead of water.

:)
That makes sense. I've done this without even knowing what it's called, haha. Thanks, tcranter.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is it me, or does landing Rock Smash "correctly" against Mach Tornado always result in ridiculous damage and more knockback than usual?

Miles.

Smash Champion
I call that the sweetspotted rock smash. Seeing how it sorta has different hit boxes and properties sometimes.

Top Bottom