• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Wait, since when do we report characters based on who we win with rather than who we play as? That's just messing up the data.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
I think (though I'm not 100 percent on it), they only want characters that help advance a player in brackets.

If I were to use ganon in brackets, but lose all my matches with him but then use mk to get through a set in order to advance, then ganon should not have any impact nor should he get an artificial bump.

Crow!

Smash Lord
To place fifth in a 16 person (typical) bracket, you need only have a 2-2 record. This can be done with 4 game wins and 6 game losses. If all of a player's losses were with character A and all his wins were with character B, that doesn't change the fact that character A is clearly a main of the player. Character B is probably also a main, but that is less clear - we know the tournament director would record character A for the player, and he'd probably also record B. If a player makes it to 5th place playing in the tourney playing as an A main, that is what this list should record, too.

For every player in every tournament, you can bicker endlessly about whether this or that character "deserves" points, but those arguments are all subjective and interfere with statistics; not all such judgements are going to be made in the same way, and more importantly, not every player in every tournament is going to be analyzed this way - all it takes is one correleation between whether or not people actually do this subjective "well, it should be this" alteration of the data and one variable which is correleated to character performance (say, the region) and tadaa, bias has been introduced.

(Bias, btw, is the bane of every statistician's existence, and finding a source of it that hasn't been dealt with usually spells instant doom to the data's usefulness).

Now, in the MK example that started this discussion, MK probably was a secondary rather than a main, since apparently he only played MK for one match. That is a call for the TO to make. My point is that how often Junebug won while playing this or that character shouldn't be entering the discussion. If he only played his DK for one match, that's also a secondary and shouldn't be recorded either.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Subjectivity is subjectivity; MK will likely be recorded for June, but the fact of the matter is, if you repeatedly pick, say, Jigglypuff, even though you don't even use her, lose every single game with her, and switch to your main to win 2-1, you're deliberately using a character to give faulty data to my list. While it hasn't really been a problem in the past 6 months, I do hope that people use their own judgment on whether they were attempting to win with a character or just picking one with full expectations of losing.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
wow I need to rep that Lucas ALOT more....

2nd to last....heck no >_> -just found this thread-

I can understand low tier but not second but this is just how people do with him so I need to get better.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Ive been a pretty strong advocator of tournament data only showing who someone won with rather than who they used.
I feel the opposite does artificially bloat results for characters who are getting points at a larger ratio than what is deserved (in most cases, ZERO as they may not have won with the character at all).
So if a character wasnt even able to be apart of winning a SET, why should that character be given points for the deeds of the players use of another character?

This ranking list is NOT a character usage list. It has similar principles to how usage data occurs in things like Pokemon, but because it does not have reliable ways of acquiring data on COMPLETE usage like Shoddy battle can it, hence why its a TOURNAMENT rankings list, not a USAGE LIST.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Whenever I see this thread all I think of is when MK was still LOLQUAZA Rank.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
February 4 Australia

= Mic Gave Me a Lift (07/02/09) =
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9499771&postcount=12995
Entrants: 19. Entry: $5.

1: Vlade (Falco, Meta Knight)
2: Muzga (Meta Knight)
3: Roman (Ice Climbers, King Dedede)
4: Nasch (Diddy Kong)
5: Jupz (Meta Knight, King Dedede)
5: Lord Bowser (Bowser, Mr. Game & Watch)
7: Trill (ROB, Meta Knight)
7: Glenn (Ice Climbers)

= 3 Stock'd II 07/02/10 =
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=9504983&postcount=407
Entrants: 29. Entry: $5

1: Afropony [Meta Knight, Pit]
2: Splice [Mr. Game & Watch]
3: Ledge [Meta Knight, Lucario]
4: Nova [Snake, SheikZelda, Olimar]
5: JaVa [Pit]
5: Nicks [Wario]
7: Earl [Zero Suit Samus]
7: Nix [Zero Suit Samus, Fox]

= 06/02/10 - SummerSmash 2010 =
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=237098
Entrants: 25. Entry: $5.

1: Amaterasu (Pikachu, Meta Knight)
2: Jesmo (Wolf, Meta Knight)
3: J-Birds (Snake, Ice Climbers)
4: R4VEN (Samus, Meta Knight)
5: Vyse (Diddy Kong)
5: Hotdog (Kirby)
7: Toki (Marth, Pikachu)
7: seaDORF (Wario)

Noa.

Smash Master
I placed in the top 6 in a tournament as diddykong

1st: Mr. Game and watch
2nd: Yoshi
3rd: Yoshi
4th: Mr. Game and Watch
5th: Diddy Kong
6th Diddy Kong/Pit/Sonic
Make sure you read the OP. A tourney must have at least 13 entrants and an entry fee.

You must supply the proof with a link to the thread as proof of the tourney taking place. :)

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
2GG Presents: Larry's Birthday Blowout (3/20/10)
http://allisbrawl.com/event.aspx?id=7931
Entrants: 70 Entry Fee: 10$

1. Larry :falco:
2. DSF :metaknight:
3. Tyrant :metaknight:
4. RichBrown :olimar:
5. Fiction :wario:
5. SK92 :falco:
7. Havok :metaknight:
7. WarpStatus :zerosuitsamus:
Thought I'd point this out:
Champ said:
...If we were to play all the way to 8pm then the remaining matches will be:
grand finals mid tier vice grip vs tyrant
losers finals singles dsf vs tyrant
grand finals singles larry vs dsf/tyrant...

...I then talked to Tyrant, Larry, DSF, and Vice Grip about it. I pretty much said this
"you have two choices, if you want to play it out, we can definitely play it out. If not, you guys can split and we'll go celebrate larry's birthday"
Pretty much, they all agreed to split because everyone was tired and people just wanted to enjoy themselves. So instead of playing it through, they all went to get some food instead and celebrate larry's birthday...
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=61740

Not sure how Ankoku handles stuff like this so :V

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Someone has to take first, second, and third. If Larry's the one who was in winners' brackets, then he gets first. The next two are both equivalent to my list so whichever order is fine.

D

Deleted member

can DSF and tyrant both be second or does it only work if theres like a definate 1st second and third?

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Ankoku, I think you should really give details on what to do if someone uses one character in ONE set.

Counting it just seems really dumb seeing as though I could beat the worst person with Ganon and have that one win be added to the character listings.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you want to abuse the ability to skew data given to me for your own reasons then there's literally nothing I can do about it.

gallax

Smash Hero
serin dont get me wrong at all. co beat a lot of people with his falco and radix is a really good player and i had to use ddd against him. just because i used ddd in one match it should still count. i used snake and won in only two matches but i also lost with snake in two matches. my ddd and pikachu were undefeated so why should they not count while my snake lost?

bigman40

Smash Master
A win is a win. No matter what character you use. Wins are the only matches that matter and if you have to win a match with a different character, then it has to be counted. Everyone should know that.

RichBrown

Smash Master
In regards to the so cal tournament, I think they agreed on those placings because Larry beat DSF in winners finals, and DSF beat Tyrant in winners semis, so those placements were the fairest distribution.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
If I went MK a whole tourney but won with ganon in a set against a brand-new player, that should count as ganon placing top 8 as well?

Either way I like this topic

Flayl

Smash Hero
LanceStern: As far as I can tell, the only characters that count are the ones you used in brackets (pools don't count) that beat the top 8 players. In the case of placing 7th I'm not so sure, I guess all characters that allowed you to win would be fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom