• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverLade

Smash Hero
I think its defiently more the players than Sonic when it comes to those matches, but yes he is not completely garbage.
Yeah, they're amazing players, using a character that's simply hard to use well.

But hard to use well =/= Bad character.

For example (obviously not true) If M2K picked up Sonic he might be able to win every tournament just like he does with Metaknight. If this happened, it would mean that Sonic is just as good as Metaknight, just so much harder to use. Zamus is far harder to use than some higher tier characters, but may be just as good, but people dont think so because she's hard to use.

So hard to use =/= bad.

Browny

Smash Hater
Meh, Ill glady take the Sonic user having a skill level above the competition as an excuse as to why he places instead of calling every other participant a scrub

lulz

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
t

also lol @ my tourneys qualifying as yellow :p theyre scrub tourneys, i know it lol
No they're in Australia. The tier list made by the Sbr is based off of the North American metagame. Read my opening statements. Also way to flame me based off of my post, which was made at 3 am. I also support the fact that Sonic should be higher than where he is right now. Just not a high as what you are saying. I'm trying to explain what I think is the sbr's reasoning.

I'll just explain what happened.
In Canada in used sonic throughout pools, but people don't like it when I play sonic as opposed to pikachu, so a lot of the matches were 1 sonic 1 pika,
I counterpicked Minus's falco with sonic our second match in the set and it was close, I barely lost thanks to a misjudged side-b. The finals doesn't really count as a sonic use imo... XD.

In the tourney where I used Pika/Lucario/Fox/Sonic... I used them all in the finals and no pika.
Fox and Lucario were only used in the finals that tourney while I used sonic periodically through the tourney.

I'm pretty sure those barely generated many points, especially with the multiple chars.
I mostly pick him against grab happy/tornado spammy opponents, and other random matchups that I feel will be easier or more interesting. Or... just practicing..
Thank you Anther.

also I noticed he put one of blue's results in green, yet the next tourney that he was in, that i had to look at 3 times cus it was pretty much the EXACT same people getting the EXACT same placings, was yellow...

WTF?@ blue battle tourney results not having notable names the second time around...

also, the fact that you dont know some of the names up there doesnt mean jack basically...

rookie is probably the top fox out there right now, and he gets beat by malcoms sonic but because you personally havent heard of him, it wasnt really a worthwhile tourney...

the way you went about this is just highly subjective...

but maybe i should just be happy that you decided to make My results yellow...
The fact I don't know the names, makes it likely the sbr doesn't either lol. I don't really keep up with Fox's metagame, as you've noticed, the sbr doesn't really care about lower tiered characters because in the long run they don't really matter (honestly, if the character isn't at least top 10, you're only hurting yourself by playing him at tournaments).

Edit: The results show that Sonic does well at local tournaments. Until there's a large national tourney that a sonic places well in, the sbr won't move him up that much. Look at the example of Dk in melee. Bum didn't get good w/ DK overnight lol.

Edit 2: Basically this explains this post by Le_Thein=

The only post I ever made in the v2.0 thread in last 24 hours since the tier list update was made was both thought of and written after the thread had exploded. I spent an hour before I threw up the post contemplating what would be a safe, inviting, nonthreatening, and sensitive approach to the situation. There have been other SBR moderators and members who have been equally as careful and cordial, but yet the couple of snarky one-liners made by one or two other members have resulted in seething hostility for the rest of the Smash Back Room.

What incentive is there for us to engage any of you if we only ever draw retorts revolving around played-out commentaries about how much "fail" we are, or that we has a collective are stupid and arrogant? This is precisely the sort of counterproductive commentary that has been personified by other posters every single time a tier list or rule set is revised – since these forums have been open. I've purposely taken a backseat for most of these altercations to see how most of you conducted yourselves in arguments, and the results haven't been favorable for most of you thus far.

Regardless of what you think about me or anyone else back there, most of us still believe in demonstrating basic human decency. Perpetuating a cool little SBR-shredding trend that other little kids started ages ago is more or less devoid of that.

But for as poorly as some of you have maintained your cool, sensible poise in debate, I do acknowledge that some of your other counterpoints have gone unnoticed (most likely because of the sheer speed at which the thread has grown, and not because we are actively ignoring you). In light of this, I will humor you with responses to the best of my ability:

In this specific example, Falco literally has widespread representation in every single region of the country. This accounts for Smash-fest gatherings; small, local grassroots tournaments and major regional circuits. Falco and a most of the other high-to-top tier characters have such strong and frequent representation at tournaments at all levels and sizes that it statistical deviations such as random sampling and skewed data no longer become that big of an issue. That's not to say that either problem won't exist, but that the sheer number of people who will main these higher-tiered characters at tournaments will always guarantee some sort of consistent representation on a national level.

Sonic, from what I have seen, fares exceptionally well in all of your respective areas, but only on a grassroots level. You can dominate local competition all you want in small tournaments and continue to submit this data to Ankoku's character rankings list, but until Sonic does extraordinarily well in a major regional event (FAST, Critical Hit, HOBO, OH SNAP!, Cataclysm, Genesis, Clash of the Titans, etc.), this data simply isn't going to be the game-breaking evidence that you guys are looking for to make your case. Having the ability to beat MK and Marth mains around your town in local monthlies doesn't tell us anything about how Sonic would fare on a national level. Placing well is a good thing, but placing well in renowned tournaments with other high-level players is what turns heads.

This brings me to two related points:
  • I am a Diddy Kong main from Oklahoma. I hover between being the first or second best in the state against Chuck Nasty, a Pokémon Trainer main. Chuck and I constantly trade tournament victories, but neither one of our local tournament first-place finishes (even though it is instrumental in determining things like Power Rankings) has really made any impact on what the popular consensus of either character currently is. The only reason people have started taking into account my own personal tournament results when judging the competitive worth of Diddy Kong on a national level is because I started traveling to other, more competitive regions. Since then, I have beaten many players from Texas, and have placed well and even won their own tournaments.

The last tournament I hosted (OH SNAP! v4.0) featured 112 players, with almost half of the participants coming from out of state (Texas and Utah). I finished third place behind Dojo (MK) and Roy_R (Marth), and beat a slew of marquee Texas players to get to that point. Somehow, my third-place finish at this tournament (and even my tied-for-13th-place finish at HOBO 11) was way more crucial to the elevation of Diddy's national profile than any of my first-place wins at local grassroots monthlies. Chuck, even though he is currently ranked the #1 player in Oklahoma and still continues to trade victories with me, does not travel and therefore his results do not account as a strong enough element to take into consideration in tier list updates. He could very well be included in the ranks of Top 20 Players in the United States someday, but until he decides to go out, travel and vet himself against opponents with any sort of skill and notoriety recognized by the community at large, he will continue to go completely unnoticed.

This the cruel reality of being talented but yet not have the ability, resources or drive to travel. This is the case I imagine most of you Sonic mains to be in.

• Ankoku's character rankings list is not representative of the entire country at large. The fact that so much weekly data goes unreported is indisputable, either because people don't know about Ankoku's list or they are simply to lazy to submit results. This makes his list abysmally skewed; so much to the point that we didn't even use any of his compiled data as hard evidence while making the tier list. It was just something we looked at, nothing more and nothing less. The actual making of the tier list was completely indepedent of Ankoku's character rankings.

The other thing that makes it so skewed is you guys, the Sonic Boards. You guys are very aggressive about reporting your victories and successes (a great thing!), and I can easily say that out of all the lower-tiered character forums, you all are the most passionate about this. But because of this, it is also easy to envision that Ganondorf and Link and other low-tier mains are simply just not reporting their results (I know for a fact that Chuck Nasty has not and probably never will report any of his first-place finishes). Due to the freeform and voluntary nature of Ankoku's list, it just can't be referred to as an end-all-be-all resource for the successes of low-tier characters, especially Sonic.

If we had some method where all Smash-fest tournaments, local monthlies and major regional circuit events could have their results automatically reported to one person, this would hardly be an issue. Of course, this is impossible (or at least unfeasible), there's so much margin of influence by human error and lack of motivation in the character rankings list because its function is built on a "report your own results" philosophy. You may be able to extract some sort of reliable data for higher-tiered characters by looking at this (only because mains for these characters are so rampant), but the data gets drastically more unreliable the further down the list you move. So...that's that.
At the end of the day, Sonic mains just haven't beaten anybody of any note at any major tournament, despite what Ankoku's character rankings list reflects. These are facts, and I really don't know how to spell it out any clearer for you guys. Until this occurs, Sonic will be doomed to mill around the dredges of the lower tiers.

For the record though, I like Sonic a lot and believe he is solid mid-tier material. I've played two talented Sonics recently, and both sets have made me revaluate how exactly I feel about both Sonic as a viable character and my respective match-up with him. I believe it wouldn't hurt anybody to have him move up a spot or two, either, but the new tier list has been released, and revisions will not be made until summertime. What's done is done.

I hope this has been helpful.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they're amazing players, using a character that's simply hard to use well.

But hard to use well =/= Bad character.

For example (obviously not true) If M2K picked up Sonic he might be able to win every tournament just like he does with Metaknight. If this happened, it would mean that Sonic is just as good as Metaknight, just so much harder to use. Zamus is far harder to use than some higher tier characters, but may be just as good, but people dont think so because she's hard to use.

So hard to use =/= bad.
if a character is bad, it is harder to do well with them

harder to do well with = harder to use
thats what i meant

Meh, Ill glady take the Sonic user having a skill level above the competition as an excuse as to why he places instead of calling every other participant a scrub

lulz
lol, or sonic could be underrated, would you take that? ;p

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Brawl Singles

1: SuPeRbOoM ($114.00) (Snake)
2: Koskinator ($57.00) (Ganondorf/Wolf)
3: liverymen ($19.00) (Meta Knight/Ice Climbers)
4: dieslow (Snake)
5: Dynamism (Random)
5: Ced (Meta Knight)
7: Rampage (Snake)
7: Hillary (Game & Watch)
9: Gamepro
9: Enkou
9: Who
9: Spin-Dash
13: Zzzz
13: Corbin
13: Blue Yoshi
13: Lib3r4t3
17: Meta
17: Jerry
17: Firestorm

Brawl Doubles

1: Turtle'd Blind (SuPeRbOoM, liverymen) ($54.00)
2: we've been spamming nado in the name of clouderz since 95 you noobs (Dynamism, Koskinator) ($27.00)
3: Knock Yourself Out (dhill, Hillary) ($9.00)
4: We Win Anyways (Rampage, dieslow)
5: Shield + Analog Stick to Dodge (Lib3r4t3, Blue Yoshi)
5: Huge Recovery (Meta, Enkou)
7: ProTip (Jerry, Gamepro)
7: Ced + Corbin
9: Sonic Cycle (Spin-Dash, Firestorm)

Entrance fee for singles was 10$ and doubles was 10$ per team. It was at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia Canada. I went Ganon 95% of the time in singles, used Wolf about 5 times. Doubles was Ganon/Bowser the entire time, but Grand finals we went Ganon/Marth and Wolf/Marth.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214387&page=3

CO18

Smash Hero
Brawl Singles

9: Gamepro
9: Enkou
9: Who
9: Spin-Dash
13: Zzzz
13: Corbin
13: Blue Yoshi
13: Lib3r4t3
17: Meta
17: Jerry
17: Firestorm

Brawl Doubles

1: Turtle'd Blind (SuPeRbOoM, liverymen) ($54.00)
2: we've been spamming nado in the name of clouderz since 95 you noobs (Dynamism, Koskinator) ($27.00)
3: Knock Yourself Out (dhill, Hillary) ($9.00)
4: We Win Anyways (Rampage, dieslow)
5: Shield + Analog Stick to Dodge (Lib3r4t3, Blue Yoshi)
5: Huge Recovery (Meta, Enkou)
7: ProTip (Jerry, Gamepro)
7: Ced + Corbin
9: Sonic Cycle (Spin-Dash, Firestorm)

Entrance fee for singles was 10$ and doubles was 10$ per team. It was at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia Canada. I went Ganon 95% of the time in singles, used Wolf about 5 times. Doubles was Ganon/Bowser the entire time, but Grand finals we went Ganon/Marth and Wolf/Marth.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214387&page=3
Lmaoooooooo.

Browny

Smash Hater
No they're in Australia. The tier list made by the Sbr is based off of the North American metagame. Read my opening statements. Also way to flame me based off of my post, which was made at 3 am.
way to flame? ....wtf

I wasnt being sarcastic, your post was the prime example of what everyone who debates on forums should be doing.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
way to flame? ....wtf

I wasnt being sarcastic, your post was the prime example of what everyone who debates on forums should be doing.
O really. Uhhhhhhh.... Lol. I just use sarcasm so much I assumed everybody uses it (the thread title has bitten me in the ***). It's just you thought that I called tournament you were in scrubby. It's the fact that they are overseas that's the problem. Nobody really knows if what you guys are doing there works (look at the different playstyles of Japan and America).

So, I will restate my point so Sonic mains can stop complaining about his tier ranking vs. tournament placements: if he places well at a MAJOR tourney, he will definitely be reconsidered by the majority of players ala Melee DK. Until then, nobody really knows.

TOURNAMENT: Only in Niagara 4
LINK: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211954
DATE: December 20th, 2008
LOCALE: Canada
ENTRANTS: 62
ENTRY: $15.00
1 Ally (Snake/Captain Falcon)
2 Anther (Pikachu/Sonic)
3 JL (Wario/Donkey Kong/Meta Knight)
4 HolyNightmare (ROB)
5 Ambrose (Ice Climbers/Meta Knight)
5 Kingace (Meta Knight/King Dedede/Falco)
7 Suzaku (Marth)
7 lain (Ice Climbers/King Dedede)

This was placed in red due to my misundestand Anther's use of Sonic. They would definitely be green if I was sure he was playing seriously. I clarified why I listed all of Anther's Sonic results in Red. Now that he's clarified everything it's up to the sbr/you guys to decide how to take those. I also blame Canada.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Yes, Ally seriously used CF. The vids are coming this weekend, the person who has the vids is in the process of moving into a new house.

Reaction is ridiculous. Only in Niagara 3.14159265 is going to be ****ing crazy.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
if a character is bad, it is harder to do well with them

harder to do well with = harder to use
thats what i meant
That's not necessarily true, though generally it is. Some characters have a high learning curve but after the learning curve, have as much potential as lot of characters. For example if you use Pikachu and Ike for a week, I guarantee you your Ike will be better. Use them both for 6 months and your Pikachu will be 10 times better. This is one of the reasons lots of people IMO, make mistakes on rankings tiers. They may take their opinion off people who have not mastered the character. It's a really gray line though, because the fact that you have to work so hard to master the character sometimes does mean they have defencies and aren't good. You gotta look at it at a case by case basis, is all.

I recognize this because it took me 5 months to even win with Peach. She was pretty garbage at first. She's got a hiiiiiigh learning curve. I think Pikachu does too because of smart use of QAC.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Yes, Ally seriously used CF. The vids are coming this weekend, the person who has the vids is in the process of moving into a new house.

Reaction is ridiculous. Only in Niagara 3.14159265 is going to be ****ing crazy.
**** YEARRRR FINALLY LOL

Can't wait to finally see the knee.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Wow.... I'd like to see those Ally vids then. That's amazing. Was he up against Anther's Pika? Doesn't Pika have a CG on Falcon?

Haha man, taking that matchup into account, it sounds impossible. And it's not just Pika... it's Anther's Pika. Can't wait for the vids.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wow.... I'd like to see those Ally vids then. That's amazing. Was he up against Anther's Pika? Doesn't Pika have a CG on Falcon?

Haha man, taking that matchup into account, it sounds impossible. And it's not just Pika... it's Anther's Pika. Can't wait for the vids.
Ally played Captain Falcon vs Anther's Sonic on Final Destination.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
That's not necessarily true, though generally it is. Some characters have a high learning curve but after the learning curve, have as much potential as lot of characters. For example if you use Pikachu and Ike for a week, I guarantee you your Ike will be better. Use them both for 6 months and your Pikachu will be 10 times better. This is one of the reasons lots of people IMO, make mistakes on rankings tiers. They may take their opinion off people who have not mastered the character. It's a really gray line though, because the fact that you have to work so hard to master the character sometimes does mean they have defencies and aren't good. You gotta look at it at a case by case basis, is all.

I recognize this because it took me 5 months to even win with Peach. She was pretty garbage at first. She's got a hiiiiiigh learning curve. I think Pikachu does too because of smart use of QAC.
yeah, of course i know that.

fox is the best character in melee but he has a higher learning curve than the reast of the tops. high learning curve for mewtwo too lol. <3 taj.
oh... sonic haha. Nevermind then. I guess that will be exciting...?
almost as exciting as a falcon-ganon team
If Ally and Anther started the match with "Show me your moves" and "You're too slow!" at the same time, my status as a man may become null and void.
if i have room, this is going into my sig

edit: didnt have room, so i removed the pic lol

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Clowsui's New Years Bash
January 3rd, 2009
Entry: $10
Entrants: 35

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6269389&postcount=297

1: Overswarm ($210.00) (MK, ROB)
2: QUIVO ($105.00) (TL)
3: AlphaZealot ($35.00) (Diddy)
4: Kel (MK/Snake)
5: Rowan (Peach)
5: MHoltz (Snake)
7: Spec (Falco)
7: Smash64 (Snake, G&W, Ness)

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Woah, OS played ROB?

Must be trying to boost him up a bit now that he's fallen in the tiers lol. :p

And GG Toon Link, beating dem top tiers.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Wow, so Falcon got points because he played against Sonic? lmao, anything for the cause ;D should be some fun videos to watch!

AZ how many entrants did that tourneyu have?

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
To the person who mentioned Pika vs. Falcon and the chaingrab. The legendary dthrow chaingrab no longer works on Falcon. He can DI toward Pika and footstool after the first throw. However I am pretty sure you can Fthrow to Dthrow him, or possibly two fthrows to the dthrow and then utilt.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0

Not sure Meta showed you that yet.

Yes, it's 64 international ****-star Superboom in first place.

Yes, Koskinator used Ganon, nearly entirely in finals and if people don't already know, he *****. =D

Yes, Dynamism legitimately uses Random. He's placed top 8 in every tournament strictly using Random. He's legit.

Yes, WC canada sucks.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord

Not sure Meta showed you that yet.

Yes, it's 64 international ****-star Superboom in first place.

Yes, Koskinator used Ganon, nearly entirely in finals and if people don't already know, he *****. =D

Yes, Dynamism legitimately uses Random. He's placed top 8 in every tournament strictly using Random. He's legit.

Yes, WC canada sucks.
'Twas already posted by Kosk:

:sonic:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom