• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Smash Hero
also, @ the Character Rankings, don't just look at the 'placements' themselves.
Look at the points.

Meta Knight (30 top8, 17 top4, 15 top2, 18 wins) - 584.5

2 Falco (12 top8, 12 top4, 4 top2, 1 win) - 311.4 - 4 ?

A Rank 36.43%
3 Snake (19 top8, 16 top4, 6 top2, 4 wins) - 192.3 - 2

4 King Dedede (15 top8, 7 top4, 3 top2, 6 wins) - 145.6 - 3

5 Wario (3 top8, 2 top4, 5 top2, 1 win) - 126.6 - 6

6 Kirby (6 top8, 4 top4, 3 top2, 2 wins) - 119.8 - 12
6 Diddy Kong (17 top8, 7 top4, 2 top2, 3 wins) - 119.7 - 9

8 Zero Suit Samus (4 top8, 4 top4, 3 top2, 2 wins) - 105.0 - 19
8 Marth (10 top8, 3 top4, 6 top2, 3 wins) - 99.6 - 4

B Rank 17.70%
10 Ice Climbers (7 top8, 2 top2, 4 wins) - 70.6 - 16
10 ROB (13 top8, 7 top4, 1 win) - 70.6 - 11
10 Sonic (3 top8, 4 top4, 2 top2, 2 wins) - 58.8 - 18
The # of points is still kind of pathetic. It's still less than a 3rd of Snake's lol.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
What the hell, Falco is now over Snake? xD

Also, how does the list work? It seems Toon Link should have more points than Captain Falcon (both have 2 top8 and 1win, but Toon has 1 top2), but he doesn't.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Falcon placed in larger tournaments with more entrants/free/prizes. The larger the tournament the more points he gets. Toon Link has placed in the smaller tournaments so he's below Falcon.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I thought G&W would drop down to at least 10th lol. But I believe he is an interesting case to discuss.

People would always say that G&W was the easiest pick-up-and-play character for tournaments, to become good enough to place with him took very little practice, he is an incredible character on paper. Recently I've also read G&W mains say he is actually not that simple to use, the reason for his dropping tournament results is because not enough pro's are using him.

people have been dropping G&W like crazy. He just isn't AS good as people once thought. Everyone is finding ways to beat G&W, and realizing the simple fact that he CAN'T punish.

As I pointed out before, G&W has the most placings, for the least amount of points by quite a large margin compared to characters near him on this list. This would indicate that he is indeed easy to play at tournament level, many people use him, but the people maining G&W are rarely good enough to place highly to earn a lot of points. Given that he is top tier (we all know it) and is quite easy to use, then why arent more pro brawlers using him? He used to have such a high number of 2nd/1st placings at big tournaments, now it seems he is rarely used by the best players anymore.
again, it comes down to the basics. I like using Lain for this example.
Lain was one of the better G&W's a couple months back. The G&W community knew and accepted that. Lain dropped G&W. I see Lain at local tourneys every now and then, talk to him on occasion. Even he suggested I drop G&W and he was doing at the time. Reason being? He's being figured out. When you have top tiers like D3 and snake who'll kill him so low, and play against characters like falco and marth whom he CANT punish, it becomes insanely hard to win with G&W.

I'm the 2nd best G&W in MI, 7th overall in MI. My G&W is behind Needle of Juntah's, who, IMO, is the best G&W in the US. Anther, Lain, Panda... they're all regulars up here, so you can imagine how hard it must be.

To be honest, the only reason I have faith in G&W anymore is because NoJ can do so well.

I think its a case of as people get better, they are finding easier ways to beat G&W, suddenly he is not becoming so viable anymore. When so many other characters consistently place higher, and players capable of placing high/winning are dropping G&W as their main, Is he still the 4th most tournament viable character in the game?

I still think hes the 4th best, but ive never experienced top-end marth, falco, wario or even ROB players.
Thank you for being one of the few who actually understand why G&W is falling. If you want my honest opinion, G&W is at the bottom of top tier. Look at the facts. No other top/higher character has such an asinine matchup as G&W vs Snake. No sensible person can deny that snake just overwhelms and destroys G&W. Its hard to be top tier when theres another character on there that just destroys you.

MK is MK. Falco is very hard to punish, as is Marth. D3 may be the best matchup on there in G&W favor, but given that D3 is so powerful and G&W is so light, its not easy.

Idk about Wario, and idk about ROB. But I figure at the rate things are going, it'll end up:
MK, Falco, Snake, D3, Marth, G&W, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him lower.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
people have been dropping G&W like crazy. He just isn't AS good as people once thought. Everyone is finding ways to beat G&W, and realizing the simple fact that he CAN'T punish.

again, it comes down to the basics. I like using Lain for this example.
Lain was one of the better G&W's a couple months back. The G&W community knew and accepted that. Lain dropped G&W. I see Lain at local tourneys every now and then, talk to him on occasion. Even he suggested I drop G&W and he was doing at the time. Reason being? He's being figured out. When you have top tiers like D3 and snake who'll kill him so low, and play against characters like falco and marth whom he CANT punish, it becomes insanely hard to win with G&W.

I'm the 2nd best G&W in MI, 7th overall in MI. My G&W is behind Needle of Juntah's, who, IMO, is the best G&W in the US. Anther, Lain, Panda... they're all regulars up here, so you can imagine how hard it must be.

To be honest, the only reason I have faith in G&W anymore is because NoJ can do so well.

Thank you for being one of the few who actually understand why G&W is falling. If you want my honest opinion, G&W is at the bottom of top tier. Look at the facts. No other top/higher character has such an asinine matchup as G&W vs Snake. No sensible person can deny that snake just overwhelms and destroys G&W. Its hard to be top tier when theres another character on there that just destroys you.

MK is MK. Falco is very hard to punish, as is Marth. D3 may be the best matchup on there in G&W favor, but given that D3 is so powerful and G&W is so light, its not easy.

Idk about Wario, and idk about ROB. But I figure at the rate things are going, it'll end up:
MK, Falco, Snake, D3, Marth, G&W, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him lower.
While I agree with your post, ICs v Dedede is even worse.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
What the hell, Falco is now over Snake? xD

Also, how does the list work? It seems Toon Link should have more points than Captain Falcon (both have 2 top8 and 1win, but Toon has 1 top2), but he doesn't.
Does anyone even read the entire first post anymore? The entire formula is explained on it. I wonder how many posts in this thread have been entirely dedicating to asking/answering this question. I don't have any ideas for how to get this from coming up less. Anybody else have an idea?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
There's no way to get rid of human stupidity, but I guess all you can do is be a little bit less negative or something. :/

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This data is FAR too early to draw any conclusions from. If you are honestly trying to argue that Mr. Game & Watch belongs in 16th, you're as insane as someone trying to argue that Captain Falcon belongs in 19th.

Just because he's less popular than the other top tiers doesn't mean he doesn't belong in top tier. If you can't punish with him or are having people get around everything you do, it really sounds like a personal problem. I think the main problem is that a lot of people thought he was an "easy win" button and then assume his "easy win" tricks are all that he has, and he's "lame" since he's a 2d monochrome character from an obscure series so no one actually cares about him the same way they do the other characters so very few people are actually willing to work hard to make him work. The fact that he was garbage in melee also probably made a lot of people in the critical first few weeks of brawl when a large number of players dedicated themselves to a character avoid using him. It's pretty easy to explain why he's unpopular... but I don't see any evidence that he's actually not good.

Mr. Game & Watch has some stuff against Snake; Snake is just really overwhelming before you learn some very particular spacings and start playing incredibly slowly and carefully while exploiting your definite ability to decide the pace of the match. It really roots back to the "easy" issue; I think a lot of people play Mr. Game & Watch with a "loose" style because he can get away with it so often, but in the Snake matchup you have to play an extremely "tight" style that they have no idea how to do.

AzNsAnTaGiN

Smash Cadet
Sorry, saw money numbers two pages back.
Columbia's got it good.
Zimbabwe suffers from 89700000000000000000000% annual inflation. I believe that's 20 zeros.
And it was in September (?) That they dropped 10 zeros off their currency, making 10 billion worth 1.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
****...even Yoshi is ranked higher than Ness?! That kinda' feels like a hard kick in the nuts... :p

Isn't funny how Meta-Knight is at the top of every list, past and present?

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone even read the entire first post anymore? The entire formula is explained on it. I wonder how many posts in this thread have been entirely dedicating to asking/answering this question. I don't have any ideas for how to get this from coming up less. Anybody else have an idea?
We would have to make the smashboards community a little less stupid, but thats impossible. So endure it, nobody is going to read the entire first post lol

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Falco (12 top8, 12 top4, 4 top2, 1 win) - 311.4 - 4

Snake (19 top8, 16 top4, 6 top2, 4 wins) - 192.3 - 2

1. question: What means the number behind them ? Last position (December) ?

2. question: Is Falco higher because the tournaments were larger than the one of the snakes ???

thx

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
We would have to make the smashboards community a little less stupid, but thats impossible. So endure it, nobody is going to read the entire first post lol
I was thinking more along the lines of putting something so blaring and obvious that you would be virtually forced to look at it before glancing at the list. Maybe we could tack something on after the tier list comment. I dunno, I guess it's Ankoku's call regardless.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking more along the lines of putting something so blaring and obvious that you would be virtually forced to look at it before glancing at the list. Maybe we could tack something on after the tier list comment. I dunno, I guess it's Ankoku's call regardless.
Ankoku: You should prob do something like this if those posts get too annoying

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How about...

If you joined within a month's time since this list was last updated, you are not allowed to post in this thread.

Fletch

Smash Master
With Ankoku's last post, I just realized that now we're going to have to deal with '09ers instead of just '08ers. ****.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
26 :wolf: Wolf (4 top8, 2 top4, 1 top2) - 15.6 - 113

113? Isn't that the position they were in last week? So is that incorrect?It can't be 113.

Sorry if i'm mistaken.

EDIT: Someone already said there was a typo before me lol.

XxBlackxX

Smash Ace
113? Isn't that the position they were in last week? So is that incorrect?It can't be 113.

Sorry if i'm mistaken.
huh? how can a character be in 113th place?

EDIT: misunderstanding i thought he meant wolf WAS in 113th place last time....lol

Fletch

Smash Master
Hold on, lemme get this straight...

This edition of the list is basically an outlier and is in no way a full representation of the Brawl metagame at this point in time.

Yes?
As has been stated a million times already in this thread, this is based off a relatively small amount of tournaments and thus is quite different for the rankings. Look at the Fall rankings if you want a more accurate depiction of the metagame.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Poor Toon Link. Maybe I'll start trying to give him some points ;D

6 :diddy: 29 placings
8 :zerosuitsamus: 13 placings
8 :marth: 22 placings

B Rank <Standard> 17.70%
10 :popo: 13 placings
10 :rob: 21 placings
10 :sonic: 11 placings
10 :olimar: 19 placings
14 :peach: 7 placings
14 :lucario: 10 placings
16 :pikachu2: 11 placings
16 :gw: 16 placings

QF... lulz.

I'm especially liking the part where the only reason sonic has any points whatsoever is because of the sheer amount of people using him, far more than any other character. Literally millions.

I dont care that you think Sonic is a bad character. EVERYONE, even Sonic mains know hes a bad character. But you can not go on claiming the only reason he performs well in this chart is because so many people use him that it skews the results. Its clearly not the case.
How does this argue with what I'm saying? This data doesn't prove anything. For all you know a million sonic players did enter the tournament and all got last place at all these tournaments, Anokoku's list only records top 7. Let me rephrase my wording. Sonic can be played well but the reason he has a much better position on Ankoku's list over the tier list is because Sonic users tend to report their results more (such as small 15 man tournaments) and there are more sonic users than users of other low tier characters due to character fandom. That's what I'm saying.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
How does this argue with what I'm saying? This data doesn't prove anything. For all you know a million sonic players did enter the tournament and all got last place at all these tournaments, Anokoku's list only records top 7. Let me rephrase my wording. Sonic can be played well but the reason he has a much better position on Ankoku's list over the tier list is because Sonic users tend to report their results more (such as small 15 man tournaments) and there are more sonic users than users of other low tier characters due to character fandom. That's what I'm saying.
This holds big truth :( 3/4th of our boards are fanboys. The rest is like me, just randomly liking Sonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom