• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Plus you can use it in the air (or ground or air->ground), which is a crucial requirement.

Also, it only does 12% raw, technically. It does 12.6% fresh.

Up-b 3 is frame 5 and has similar KO power (a little higher), but does 21% raw. (22.05% fresh) Also the way the hitboxes on it are structured, it works better as an anti-air than the default up-b in most cases. (It retains full KO power, and does 13% instead of 6%.)
I'm not really a fan of Up-B 3 on Doc. Up-B 1 is a very consistent "if you touch my shield and are in range, you get hurt". Up-B 3, while really powerful, is a bit more spacing dependent to connect properly. Also the reduced distance on Up-B 3 isn't really preferable when edgeguarding (yes you can make up for Doc's recovery with Down-B 2, I'm aware, but this mostly just helps you vertically). Default Up-B on Doc has the best mix of distance, utility, and power on Doc. It's just all round an amazing move.

I think Up-B 3 on Mario in contrast is more useful strategically, given Mario lacks strong aerial KO moves, and also his D-throw sets up into his Up-B more easily than Doc's for some huge damage combos. While Mario does also lose distance by going Up-B 3, he gets back legitimate Cape Stalling and more with Gust Cape to pick up the slack.

I do think both of them have very specific matchups where Up-B 2 is preferable. Doc wants to run Up-B 2 against Sonic because he relies on Down-B 1 to force Sonic to play respectfully. Mario probably has a few more matchups than Doc where neither of his other Up-Bs is practical enough on stage, making the massive distance from Up-B 2 helpful for guaranteeing flexibility offstage.

Last edited:

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
So Gluttony got 2nd at a French major with Wario yesterday. I believe he lost to Leon who used ZSS(not sure). A lot of wario boards seem to think he's bottom tier. I was a doubter myself but Im slowly coming around thinking he has some true potential to be high tier. Waft is powerful in a 2 stock game. His air game tho nerfed is still better than most the cast and bite really shuts a lot or rushdown characters down. Solid recovery and he lives forever. Also his f tilt is so good. If you first frame full hop fair he makes it so hard for characters to get in. You have to be good at spacing and patient with this character he's not meant to be played rushdown or overly aggressive. He's a annoying hit and run character. I think he will seek more viable as the meta keeps establishing and he does solid against a lot of the top tier characters.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
So Gluttony got 2nd at a French major with Wario yesterday. I believe he lost to Leon who used ZSS(not sure). A lot of wario boards seem to think he's bottom tier. I was a doubter myself but Im slowly coming around thinking he has some true potential to be high tier. Waft is powerful in a 2 stock game. His air game tho nerfed is still better than most the cast and bite really shuts a lot or rushdown characters down. Solid recovery and he lives forever. Also his f tilt is so good. If you first frame full hop fair he makes it so hard for characters to get in. You have to be good at spacing and patient with this character he's not meant to be played rushdown or overly aggressive. He's a annoying hit and run character. I think he will seek more viable as the meta keeps establishing and he does solid against a lot of the top tier characters.
They think Wario...WARIO, is bottom tier?

What the actual **** lmao.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I've been telling people for months that Wario is high tier. How anybody could see him as bottom tier is completely beyond me.

:059:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Only scrubs or greenhorn's think he's bottom tier. The vast majority of Wario main's I've talked to think he's a solid character.

I've been telling people for months that Wario is high tier. How anybody could see him as bottom tier is completely beyond me.

:059:
Seriously. When I mentioned that people were sleeping on Wario, I wasn't joking. He's really strong.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Only scrubs or greenhorn's think he's bottom tier. The vast majority of Wario main's I've talked to think he's a solid character.

Seriously. When I mentioned that people were sleeping on Wario, I wasn't joking. He's really strong.
Reading that page was a blast. Like seriously Swordfighter was implied to be trash when they are actually pretty solid...in a game full of incredible more than solid characters

RWB

Smash Ace
How is Lucina looking? She has a longer Perfect Pivot than Marth- is that at least something she can benefit from?

Also, I know her attacks are less safe than Marth, but does she have anything safe at all? Honestly, what characters does she beat? Is there any character she can handle better than Marth(doubt it...).

I honestly believe Swordfighter has more to offer, especially 2222 Swordfighter with Shuriken of Light, Slash Launcher and Reversal Slash(12% Cape). I feel like they both suffer from having to play ridiculously defensive(due to having such unsafe movesets), but that Swordfighter at least has some extra tools.

HeoandReo

Smash Apprentice
How is Lucina looking? She has a longer Perfect Pivot than Marth- is that at least something she can benefit from?

Also, I know her attacks are less safe than Marth, but does she have anything safe at all? Honestly, what characters does she beat? Is there any character she can handle better than Marth(doubt it...).

I honestly believe Swordfighter has more to offer, especially 2222 Swordfighter with Shuriken of Light, Slash Launcher and Reversal Slash(12% Cape). I feel like they both suffer from having to play ridiculously defensive(due to having such unsafe movesets), but that Swordfighter at least has some extra tools.
I can't perfect pivot with her myself, but anything that lets her put better distance between her and the opponent is a good thing.

Lucina's biggest problem in my opinion (and Marth's too, I suppose) is that her endlag is just awful. That - compounded with the worse sword, means a lot of characters can come in to punish her for an attack even before she can move again. (i.e. they can just powershield then run in for a grab or dash attack or something else)

Lucina (and Marth) is a character who has to keep people at bay with her sword because she'll just get clobbered if she tries to fight up close. Generally, she does well against characters with worse range than her who focus on coming in close. She beats Dr. Mario pretty cleanly and I'm inclined to say she has advantages against Mario and Ganondorf as long as she succeeds in spacing them out. Even against Ganondorf she has to play near perfectly. I think she has an advantage against Bowser too but Bowser's size means he loses to so many things. Otherwise, her matchup spread pretty much just feels like Marth's, only worse across the board and with some matchups that are much worse for her in comparison.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
That was an error on that video's part I'm pretty sure. Our testing on the M/L boards showed that the two perfect pivots were the same distance.

However she seems to slide when she pivot up tilts, no idea why.

Last edited:

RWB

Smash Ace
Well, that's disappointing. Can the u-tilt slide be a boon, or is that a negative?

Also, Shaya, do you have any familiarity with Swordfighter 2222? Any opinions?

His standard A moveset is is very lacking in general, but between Uair(Damage and kill potential), Dair(decent enough meteor), Nair(good move for Swordfighter even if it's a pretty meh move in general), Slash Launcher(for escape/close-ins), Shuriken of Light(quick but somewhat short-ranged projectile) and his Reversal Slash(Cape, for all your reflecting needs and some gimping) I think he has some things to bring to the table...

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Well, that's disappointing. Can the u-tilt slide be a boon, or is that a negative?
I can add some input on this. It is a nifty tool and it certainly has its advantages. The slide is enough so that you can space a U-tilt correctly against an opponent that approaches from the air and be safe-ish. The example I can give was when I was facing @Excel_Zero's Peach a few days back he always destroys me. Seriously he is so good. I had sent him upwards with an up throw and when he was landing he floated just above me and tried to attack with Dair. By that point I had already perfect pivoted an up-tilt which allowed me to counteract his action. Anyways, as you can see from this example it's pretty much just a good tool to have. It pretty much worked as a wavedash back into U-tilt to space the move correctly. It has its uses.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Lucina has a sweetspot at the back of her Uair i've heard. Does Marth have this as well on a non-tippered Uair?

I dunno I think I heard the Lucina Uair thing in the tips section.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I don't know why I post about this stuff, but it's probably because I love statistics. Anyway, I think people (in this very thread!) misunderstand what a meta is. When tier lists are generated, people are trying to accurately represent true facts about a small population of playable characters, and how they match up to each other across all player populations. This is always going to be an evolving process, because we don't have perfect knowledge.

In statistical surveying, we try to capture a "representative" sample, that is, a number of people that, according to prior logic and information, can be shown to truly represent the population at large. There is a reason that fighting game enthusiasts pull data from tournaments, and that is because they represent the best possibility of perfect play of a given character in a variety of match-ups. Now, we can't accurately model fighting games (probably because no one has tried, hello Ph.D thesis!), but we can try and approximate true data about characters from samples of them being played at the best of their ability. Let's call it, "best play."

Unfortunately, at tournaments, we all know that "best play" of a character is relative to the current understanding of a character. This understanding is slow to accumulate because we need lots of data to get some valid results. In this sense, a meta-based tier list is always going to be a work in progress as we gather data, even if it is attempting to make a stab at absolute fact. The more data we have though, the more reliable our tiers will be.

This is why we need popular perceptions of powerful characters to proliferate. If we don't test our hypotheses, we won't learn anything new. I actually hope tons of people show up to Apex playing Diddy and Sheik. It will give us a good view into the actual potential of those characters, and the valid counter strategies that could grow, which only helps us understand the rest of the cast.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
How's Link looking out in the competitive scene now and days? Are people sleeping on him?
I can't speak for anyone else, but Link is decent. Likely the best he's been in any Smash game except maybe Melee (don't really know how viable he was there). He has the range and power I felt he lacked in Brawl which helps him stand apart from Toon Link. His jab and tilts are all pretty good "get off me" moves and his smashes all have decent power. His aerials all have good priority (NAir is a great sex kick) and his recovery isn't any worse than a lot of other previously bad ones; in fact, it's hard to intercept without a projectile or big disjoint because of how the hitboxes surround him. I think he suffers most from relatively slow moves (in startup, anyway) and poor OoS options.

Definitely viable but since I don't use him I can't say how he stacks up against the top tiers.

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
I believe when people say Swordfighter is underwhelming, it's not because the character is not workable, but because it doesn't have anything that sets it apart to the point where it can have a meaningful impact in the current stage of the game. Shuriken is ok, but not as oppressive as Link/Tink's projectiles for example; Some tilts and aerials have good disjoint hitboxes and/or damage (dat Uair tho), but nothing that really stands out like Pit's Ftilt or Shulk's Fair/Nair. Reversal Slash and Slash Launcher are both good specials, but nothing spectacular. It's not that Swordfighter is bad, but everything in the character seems average at best.

Both Brawler and Gunner have traits that clearly distinguishes them from other characters of similar archetype in a good way. Grenade Launcher, coupled with Gunner's solid disjoints and traps, has so much potential to make them one of the best aggressive zone-control character in the game. Brawler has some customization sets that makes them ridiculously mobile (and they already have good aerial/ground mobility by default) and thus augments the effectiveness of their Yoshi-like hitboxes and kill-setups.

I don't want to discredit Swordfighter (nor any character) at this point, but at first glance the character just feels...bland.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I love how you phrased that Larry: "Are people sleeping on him?" Makes me think of a vigilant watch-dog or something always on the lookout for intruders who are 'underrating link' haha. It's not bad, just gave me a chuckle. :p

Link I think is just fine. Less fine than we originally thought - he wasn't buffed/took advantage of the new mechanics as much as the other vets that rose to stardom but he's still a solid mid or high mid in my opinion. Which means he can hold his own, he'll have a few hard top tier MUs with characters who don't bother about his projectiles and take advantage of his slow start-ups (I can't see him enjoying the Sheik MU) but for the mos part he'll be pretty ok. :)

DHD is pretty decent, he has his issues but seriously? I don't think they deserve low or even low mid at this point. DHD and Bowser Jr are my secondaries at this point, it's quite funny to see everyone rating them in crazy different ways. DHD was originally so high up on everyone's lists and now suddenly everyone seems to hate him - Bowser Jr was everyone's 'this kid sucks sorry' and now people are in love with his disjoints and whatnot.

Something to add to DHD and Bowser Jr though is they both get really, really good with customs. Giant Mecha-Koopa at long-range neutral is like @.@ and is there any advantage using the normal clay shooting to that one that seems to shoot like 5 times, goes way further and does more damage? I suppose you can't detonate it early but should that move be used at close-range anyway? Hm... Oh also zig-zag can is fun when you get it right, people can take a lot of damage from it eheheh. ;)

RWB

Smash Ace
I believe when people say Swordfighter is underwhelming, it's not because the character is not workable, but because it doesn't have anything that sets it apart to the point where it can have a meaningful impact in the current stage of the game. Shuriken is ok, but not as oppressive as Link/Tink's projectiles for example; Some tilts and aerials have good disjoint hitboxes and/or damage (dat Uair tho), but nothing that really stands out like Pit's Ftilt or Shulk's Fair/Nair. Reversal Slash and Slash Launcher are both good specials, but nothing spectacular. It's not that Swordfighter is bad, but everything in the character seems average at best.

Both Brawler and Gunner have traits that clearly distinguishes them from other characters of similar archetype in a good way. Grenade Launcher, coupled with Gunner's solid disjoints and traps, has so much potential to make them one of the best aggressive zone-control character in the game. Brawler has some customization sets that makes them ridiculously mobile (and they already have good aerial/ground mobility by default) and thus augments the effectiveness of their Yoshi-like hitboxes and kill-setups.

I don't want to discredit Swordfighter (nor any character) at this point, but at first glance the character just feels...bland.

Honestly, I agree somewhat. Still, I think Swordfighter is solid enough and has enough tools to be deemed better than absolute bottom of the barrel.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
@ Minordeth Minordeth
How can someone who likes Waking the Dead/Trevor Eve ever be wrong? Thanks for your post :D

Any who I thought I would continue this explanation I made earlier on of who I think are the weaker characters in the game right now. Plus why some popular lowly thought of characters weren't in my list. I wouldn't like to stipulate that these characters are doomed, or hell, even that bad at all, I'm seeing many of these characters played by good players doing very well in a multitude of match ups, I don't think any character in this game loses or does poorly universally throughout the cast, which is amazing in and of itself in contrast to Brawl or Melee. Characters which are weak or polarising-esque I believe will be what shapes the lower ends, however weak can easily translate to hard but feasible to succeed and polarising a great secondary/counter pick character. Heck, even being figured out in more depth than what we currently see and shooting way up!

Hmm...

who do I actually think is a lower mid/low tier character (i.e. bottom half-ish)
:4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4gaw::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucina::4marth::4metaknight::4miisword::4palutena::4samus::4wiifit::4zelda::4pacman::4miigun:

some of the things I'd assume people would question:
1. Link: I just haven't seen him being a tournament threat at all. I'd love to see otherwise, but while buffs were gained, he either suffers terrible unpopularity (no one good representing him) or isn't a great character (still). I wouldn't say bottom tier like in Brawl, but I really don't think it's a safe bet to assume he's good because of it (Bowser/Zelda syndrome)

2. The falchions: contrary to popular belief, I'm pretty sure Marth's true pivot is the same as Lucina's and it's on the higher end. They may use this spacing tool better than most characters. The high lag on aerials and arguably some of his moves is just way too much in a sped up mobility game with less shield safety than any other game thus far. Wouldn't take much to make them high tier+ again though, so it's not that bad.

3. No Mario Bros? They're actually very good. Luigi has a grab game rivaling diddies with fantastic kill power, priority and projectile. Mario has top caste mobility specs, very low auto cancels (not remotely as "why" as Sheik or Diddy but still very good), the removal of vectoring skewed his capabilities massively, the up tilt damage nerf actually allows it to combo longer (much like Sheik's fair being a buff). Up Smash OoS and other power shield punishes are pretty hectic. Kinda has an option for everything. Both characters seem to really only suffer against super disjointed characters still.

4. Gunner: 1111.

5. Olimar: not terrible in the slightest. Could still be low tier but my experiences with Rich Brown (proudly still repping his brawl main) are making me feel otherwise. Has pretty free 0-50% combos, fsmash range is nice, the improved non-pikmin moves is quite noticeable in his ability to fight on par with other characters rather than being a polarising shut down master like in Brawl. Benefit of the doubt right now.

6. Pacman: I'm not sure what niche he has now after the nerfs because his meta and various counter play I doubt was very developed at the time that he was nerfed. Toned down hydrant and other things reduced a lot of his scary presence. At this stage, he seems like a very solid doubles character but perhaps too much of a gimmick now in singles.
Falco: A slower, longer ranged, generally more powerful and damaging Fox. But there are so many deficiencies in Falco's kit numerically in comparison to Fox to the point that he can be good, but his strengths aren't putting him high tier by any stretch, especially without customs. I would say he's middle tier-ish. Things that make him 'weaker' than Fox or in general: Laser (way too laggy/range cut/too low damage to compensate), side b being static when dynamic mobility tools like sheik/zss down-b exist; also being a lot more punishable than fox's. His aerial mobility being bottom caste makes a lot of his aerial options very easy to respond to and makes him extreme juggle and gimping fodder. Despite this, he still has a better throw game than Fox and the strength and range of his moves are powerful as is.

Koopalings + Jr: I've lightened up in my extremely poor opinion of them. I feel like he has good moves, but just like other characters around this region, they don't flow together well or lead to things which are consistently rewarding. Counterplay against him is a lot more pronounced than any other character (takes more damage on the head, can't recover again after being hit out of up-b, terrible grab). Very strong in doubles.

Three heavies: In short, polarising characters who I'm not sure how consistent they can be strong in a large array of match ups. Characters like these can't be anything like Brawl Ganondorf bad, possibly not even Brawl Donkey Kong "bad" (remember: Chain grabbed/tornado/projectile camped). The high mobility characters still seem to have an edge over them, especially those with projectiles and smaller builds, but those are the ones which are by most people's opinions high/top tier as it is.

Not Bowser: I feel he still edges out along with DK as the "robust" heavies. Generally very good moves as well as mobility specs, but their large frames still betray them. They come with solid grab games still and scary survivability. In past games these characters tend to start high and drop over time, but we'll see if this trend breaks :).

G&W: really struggling to find a kill, but is otherwise an extremely solid character. Feels kinda like the Brawl Sheik in this regard, except a lot less 'punishable' than that iteration. Really amazing custom options, unfortunately unavailable, but he can go toe to toe with a lot of characters, out damaging them to an extent too, but if he loses the first stock first, it's a lost match. His frailty and kill issues (CUSTOM UP-B ERADICATES ALL OF THIS) deny him as a consistently good pick status. Better than most characters people give him credit for though, definitely. Him and Pikachu (and G&W in general) are still god tier doubles partners.

Kirby: Definitely has some strengths people under appreciate, five jumps, fastish aerials and a normal grab generally account to fantastic character. I think he has room to develop, he seems to have tools to deal with a lot of melee-ish characters, including diddy and sheik but I would assume often has issues approaching or killing.

Mac: Another polarising character that is probably out of sight, out of mind. He isn't bad on smashville or battlefield, but he isn't ever getting FD first game. He's quite capable in doubles, otherwise on paper he's the glass cannon counter pick character of legends (any audience watching will always be hyped by a mac doing well, guaranteed). His grounded mobility specs with perfect pivoting in mind (his other ones were good before too) could give him an extra edge. Otherwise though what really hurts him is a very slow grab/general out of shield options (jab, ftilt 1 and dtilt aren't long range, while fast, other options are a lot slower).

Meta Knight: He's a special character, most of his capabilities are unique to just him. He has an extremely competitive ground game in terms of speed against even the best characters. Dash attack and dash grab are some of the best out there, and his consist follow ups on both at most percent is fantastic. But this is generally where the fun ends (other than his unique scenarios he has on the ledge/off stage), range and frame data (lag) are somewhat on the poor side, and although he gets a consistent follow up on two great moves, he doesn't generally continue to combo or apply pressure afterwards, his aerial mobility is low and he doesn't transition into the ground without lag unlike Brawl to be as capable of a frame trapper as others. He is top 15 at worst in doubles though, the damage on tornado, his general utility and the ability for a team mate to throw enemies towards you near the ledge or for them to continue your follow ups for you and shuttle loop make him super deadly. Over all, most of his specials are still very good, but a lot more risky than in Brawl. Could still have the potential to be solo mained, it's just a long, hard journey.

Palutena: 1111. *psych*. She's probably underrated, even without customs (with them she's like top 10 though). If she could just trade out into super speed she'd be a devastatingly good character. Right now she has great mobility specs, but mostly awkward/slowish moves to hit with, but the best jab and grab game to compensate. I could still see her in the bottom regions of the game only because of extreme difficulty rather than her capabilities (which are yet to be seen in customless meta).

Doc: Short end of the stick :< with very poor mobility, slightly worse frame data and range in some instances, the strength burst tends to not feel worth it. Very capable of wrecking havoc but otherwise Doc has the most glaring issues out of nearly anyone, akin to Ganondorf, range and recovery being compensated by cape, pills and a normal grab, but I don't think they're enough with his mobility spread.

Wii Fit: I either don't truly understand her design/inner workings or she wasn't made to be a 1v1, no items, final destination, yeehaw character. Really enjoyable to play, even when losing, and although I could be wrong, I feel as this was intended. No doubt she has some extremely strong options, but until I see a consistent way for her to win in a multitude of match ups I'll have to consider her towards the bottom area. People tell me to play anti before having an opinion though, and I wouldn't doubt him showing me a thing or two, but until then (or if he uses them in tournament sometime) I'm skeptical.

Samus: Way too floaty, or in a general way, doesn't have a successful flow to her that I've seen. Willing to be completely wrong because I find a lot her tools somewhat unique with pretty cool applications (but not necessarily strong ones).

Zelda: Short end of the stick :<. Sheik had two of her special moves changed/feasibly super buffed. Zelda has been given a tool that is cool in idea and free for alls (potentially doubles too) but isn't giving her an extra edge that compensates for the player/character losing the ability to switch to Sheik. The old joke "Has the best down b in the game" is sadly ironic here.

Swordsman: Not much of a personal opinion, my apologies. Enough people have convinced me he is generally a weaker character. Apex rules/1111 aren't giving him the best tools he has on offer either from what I've heard. Who knows though.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Something to add to DHD and Bowser Jr though is they both get really, really good with customs. Giant Mecha-Koopa at long-range neutral is like @.@ and is there any advantage using the normal clay shooting to that one that seems to shoot like 5 times, goes way further and does more damage? I suppose you can't detonate it early but should that move be used at close-range anyway? Hm... Oh also zig-zag can is fun when you get it right, people can take a lot of damage from it eheheh. ;)
I originally thought Bowser Jr. sucked without customs and got a lot better with them, but I think I was wrong on both counts.
  • Neutral-B 2 really isn't much better than the default. Frankly, both suck.
  • Side-b 1 is Super Speed Lite. It's really good, at least in matchups that can't shut it down, which is hard.
  • Meanwhile, side-b 2 isn't as safe as I first thought, and side-3 is a pretty meh gimmick.
  • Default up-b is a legitimately great offensive move. Sooo much damage, kill power, and safety.
  • Default down-b is great stage control, easy to underrate.
  • Giant Mecha-Koopas offer very little control, just super high damage WTF factor that subsides with experience.
  • His disjointed aerial kit, chart-topping jab damage, and high KO power on read make for a well-equipped base character.
He still likes the options on side-b and down-b, but they aren't nearly as helpful as I previously pegged--mostly because the defaults are just actualyl so great. (Also see: Mega Man.)

Duck Hunt, on the other hand...

Duck Hunt is legitimately "meh" without customs. Once his opponent knows how to play around his game, he has nothing to adequately compensate for having the poorest kill power and options in the game. He has a bunch of neat advantages, but nothing ultimately worth it.

With customs, everything changes.

Zigzag Can is seriously one of the best moves in the game. If you think DH should ever take a different neutral B, you are wrong. Zigzag Can is stage control incarnate. That bit, about the opponent learning to "play around Duck Hunt's game"? That becomes impossible. DH gains a truly mobile zone of momentary safety, via anti-air coverage and protection from grabs, as long as he continually positions himself near the can's next bounce.

Duck Hunt's poor recovery can be made a lot better in many matchups, if not a majority, by taking Duck High Jump. It's not always better, but it's a nice options.

DH struggles when opponents can effectively beat his harassment game, nullifying his advantages. Giant Gunman mitigates this in a lot of matchups. Quick Draw Aces isn't a bad alternative either, though imo less pivotal to his matchups.

DH still struggles against Rosalina and Villager, who can uniquely trivialize Can. However, overall Zigzag Can is an expert-level move that looks to single-handedly makes him a formidable threat if mastered.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I dont see how default Dhd zones out, or trivializes falcon in any way for instance.
Which isn't to say he has to but default DhD has been rather underwhelming and falling shorter of my expectations.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I originally thought Bowser Jr. sucked without customs and got a lot better with them, but I think I was wrong on both counts.
  • Neutral-B 2 really isn't much better than the default. Frankly, both suck.
  • Side-b 1 is Super Speed Lite. It's really good, at least in matchups that can't shut it down, which is hard.
  • Meanwhile, side-b 2 isn't as safe as I first thought, and side-3 is a pretty meh gimmick.
  • Default up-b is a legitimately great offensive move. Sooo much damage, kill power, and safety.
  • Default down-b is great stage control, easy to underrate.
  • Giant Mecha-Koopas offer very little control, just super high damage WTF factor that subsides with experience.
  • His disjointed aerial kit, chart-topping jab damage, and high KO power on read make for a well-equipped base character.
He still likes the options on side-b and down-b, but they aren't nearly as helpful as I previously pegged--mostly because the defaults are just actualyl so great. (Also see: Mega Man.)

Duck Hunt, on the other hand...

Duck Hunt is legitimately "meh" without customs. Once his opponent knows how to play around his game, he has nothing to adequately compensate for having the poorest kill power and options in the game. He has a bunch of neat advantages, but nothing ultimately worth it.

With customs, everything changes.

Zigzag Can is seriously one of the best moves in the game. If you think DH should ever take a different neutral B, you are wrong. Zigzag Can is stage control incarnate. That bit, about the opponent learning to "play around Duck Hunt's game"? That becomes impossible. DH gains a truly mobile zone of momentary safety, via anti-air coverage and protection from grabs, as long as he continually positions himself near the can's next bounce.

Duck Hunt's poor recovery can be made a lot better in many matchups, if not a majority, by taking Duck High Jump. It's not always better, but it's a nice options.

DH struggles when opponents can effectively beat his harassment game, nullifying his advantages. Giant Gunman mitigates this in a lot of matchups. Quick Draw Aces isn't a bad alternative either, though imo less pivotal to his matchups.

DH still struggles against Rosalina and Villager, who can uniquely trivialize Can. However, overall Zigzag Can is an expert-level move that looks to single-handedly makes him a formidable threat if mastered.
Nice write up! That's a fair stance on Jr, I quite like large mechakoopa because it doesn't move very far so the opponent is less likely to use it against you and it's like Peach turnips were wired to some Dynamite and thrown at peeps. Default I like as a way to make the kart more viable as an approach, because the opponent now has to deal with both. I'm more used to default on both chars because... Ionno, I just always use default for whatever reason. BUT I quite like the ideas of the customs given to both of them, except Jr's neutral B is sadly not good enough :'(

Anywho, I love both of them. <3

Spirst

Admittedly, I haven't given the Zigzag Can much usage but would be quite interested in seeing the applications it has. I know that if the Can is bounced back towards DH and hits someone behind it, they too will be sent towards DH in the perfect position for a nair/uair. The custom changes a large part of how the character plays and definitely requires a lot of adjustment. I'm going to see what else can be done with this.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I have also started to sour on Mario customs. Or rather, like Bowser Jr and Mega Man, I'm realizing just how good his default options are, particularly Fireball and Super Jump Punch. Gust Cape is also non-trivially slower, even if it's not immediately obvious.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Quick question, Shaya; how is Falco's side-b more punishable than Fox's? I don't doubt you and I don't really use either character but I always assumed they basically had the same specs in terms of speed/recovery.

Regarding Samus, WFT, and Zelda, they all kind of fee inherently flawed to me to a degree.

:4samus: has her poor jab combo, multi-hit aerials (and USmash) that often seem to link among the worst in the game (better now than in Brawl though) and few specials that, while they apply pressure, often aren't effective enough to give her positional advantage. I'm mainly thinking of her bombs here (they don't explode on contact with foes but Gunner's do, okay Samurai) but default missiles also apply to a degree. Her UTilt also gets the middle finger from the new bounce mechanic where when the heel hits a grounded foe, it counts as a meteor which means that opponents can tech it instantly.

:4wiifit: probably has the most straightforward hitboxes in the game. Now, if she had huge disjoints or attacks in sweeping arcs, that wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately her attacks tend to be quick arm or leg thrusts. She also doesn't really lean in on any of her attacks which would increase their effective range. It's well-known that her hitboxes cause her matchups against small characters to be difficult, simply because she can't hit them. It also makes fights against characters with large disjoints hard because she simply can't get in against them. She has projectiles which help a bit with this though. I do have to wonder why so many of her moves hit behind as well as in front of her; the theory that her character was designed for battles with multiple opponents seems to hold water.

For both Seamus and WFT, when I win matches with them, I end up wondering how it happened. Basically I can't figure out how I landed enough hits to kill my opponents.

:4zelda: I don't like Zelda's playstyle. But at the same time her moves don't always make much sense as a whole. Her ground normals are all pretty good. Nayru's Love and Farore's Wind are decent moves for what they do (Nayru's in particular helps her defensive game). But her aerials are where her moveset falls apart, IMO. Her lightning kicks need to be respected because 20% from a single aerial is absolutely brutal. UAir has decent knockback as well. But unlike most characters' aerial moves they generally can't be used as offensive pressure. They're all reactive moves that heavily punish mistakes. I guess that's mainly what I find flawed about her. Her whole move set is geared to punish that when she's forced to approach, she has almost no options. I'm not really sure how to remedy this without redesigning a lot of her character.

I don't really use Zelda so maybe I'm in the wrong for feeling that way about her character. But I hear Zelda mains complain about how she's bad, so I doubt I'm too far off.

Klaxon

Smash Rookie
I'm starting to really enjoy the balance in this game compared to other games in the series. Mechanics aside, the balance so far seems to be the best in the series, even though it's still not perfect (and never really could be).

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
What I do like in Smash 4 is that there just isn't a clear cut worst in this game, unlike the other 3 [N64 Samus, Melee Kirby, Brawl Ganondorf] every character at least has some sort of redeeming merit that makes people argue for them. I'm generally going to be surprised at whoever gets the last position on the tier list. [Personally betting Mii swordsman though...even if he isn't as bad as the other worsts I've mentioned...by a lot.]

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
@ Kofu Kofu , Falco Phantasm's hit box is about half or 3/4's the distance it travels. It's weird and there's no explanation for it. Fox Illusion has an equal hit box to its distance. So, if Falco whiffs it like during recovery, he's royally screwed like how Ike's Quickdraw or Captain Falcon's Raptor Boost sometimes leaves space.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Could someone please explain to me why if I as Ness go ahead and jab Little Mac RIGHT as he uses his punch, all that seems to happen is I slide across the stage and his punch is now gone? Is this some kind of weird messed up interaction of hitboxes that's resulted in an exploit? I'd like to test this out more, cause if there's something that makes Mac nowhere near as scary up close with KO punch on then I have real fears for this character. >:I

I saved the replay of it, I have no idea how to upload this kind of stuff though. :(

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Could someone please explain to me why if I as Ness go ahead and jab Little Mac RIGHT as he uses his punch, all that seems to happen is I slide across the stage and his punch is now gone? Is this some kind of weird messed up interaction of hitboxes that's resulted in an exploit? I'd like to test this out more, cause if there's something that makes Mac nowhere near as scary up close with KO punch on then I have real fears for this character. >:I

I saved the replay of it, I have no idea how to upload this kind of stuff though. :(
There's a windbox on frame 4 of KO Punch, and iirc it doesn't have super armor until frame 8.

I still find it really odd that there's a windbox before the hit on that thing.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I went to look at frame data to confirm how slow and terrible Samus's moveset is, and discovered she is one of the fastest characters in the game.

What the hell?

Balloonicorn

Smash Cadet
I feel like people are underestimating Charizard. I honestly believe he is the best "large heavy" character in this game. Every single one of his specials are solid, especially Rock Smash and Flamethrower. He has tons of kill options, spacing and zoning potential and can live forever with his decent recovery, high weight and ridiculous armor.
I can imagine him as high mid tier potentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom