• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Palutena is weeeeeeird, but there's an impressively clear design intent behind her moveset. If nothing else she's got one of the most interesting kits in the game. Unblockable side-b 1 (with solid reflect uptime to boot)/neutral-b 2, invincibility on DA/bair, non-rebounding tilts (suddenly her tilts make sense), god(dess)-like jab/grab game, etc. The question is how well one can tie it all together in a customs-off environment. Her biggest flaw in a customs-off meta is that she's generally relatively high on commitment, but typically lacks sufficient reward to compensate. Not a great look when speedy characters are some of the biggest threats around right now, but if you can tie it all together effectively there's some potential there. Not top tier, but solid. Customs-legal Palutena though, hoo boy...

KO Punch windbox might be used to push the opponent into a particular position for that glorious freeze-frame hit.

Samus' startup is generally pretty decent, but iirc her endlag is balls. Does she really have anything that's passably safe?

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I went to look at frame data to confirm how slow and terrible Samus's moveset is, and discovered she is one of the fastest characters in the game.

What the hell?
It'd be hilarious if ZSS was slower. Anyway her Fair, Bair, and Nair are all right. She and The Villager are difficult for me to use since I don't understand them well. Still, in theory Samus's aerials could function like Ike's in use. Nair and Bair can be used interchangeably, but Bair is the killer like how Ike kills with Fair. Her Fair combos well after a throw.

This is all that I know from fighting Samus. Her Utilt can be used just like Captain Falcon's right?

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I went to look at frame data to confirm how slow and terrible Samus's moveset is, and discovered she is one of the fastest characters in the game.

What the hell?
Some attacks however are deceptive in the frame data. Samus's Up-Smash typically whiffs the first three or four shots, before striking the opponent above you. Ditto with Fair.

Jab, tilts, FSmash, and Nair are quite fast however.

-----------

For what its worth, my circle of (non-tourny) friends is currently: Lucario, Yoshi, PacMan, Robin, Samus, Shiek, Diddy, Dr. Mario, ZSS, Ness.

I generally notice that players in general flock to high-tier characters naturally. We all have 4 or 5 characters that we like and practice regularly, but we also "feel" advantaged with our main characters (which is what is listed above).

The Shiek player feels quite disadvantaged however, and doesn't feel like Shiek is keeping up. Its more of a "I played Shiek / Zelda since Melee" sort of thing.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Her Fsmash is literally the fastest f-smash in the game. (Tied with Pit; both do 15% if Samus angles up)

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
@Minordeth
Doc: Short end of the stick :< with very poor mobility, slightly worse frame data and range in some instances, the strength burst tends to not feel worth it. Very capable of wrecking havoc but otherwise Doc has the most glaring issues out of nearly anyone, akin to Ganondorf, range and recovery being compensated by cape, pills and a normal grab, but I don't think they're enough with his mobility spread.
It really all hinges on his abysmal grounded movement speed. The air speed is bad but the Bair makes it a lot better. His air game and combo game + strings are far from his biggest issue, it's really just that he can't get anywhere on the ground to do anything massive with his kit. The low range doesn't have much compensation. If he had real damage he'd be fine but it's just slightly better Mario damage mostly.

I do agree he can wreak havoc in the right hands and I don't think he's entirely useless or impossible to win with by a long shot, but he definitely got some really dumb adjustments that make no sense (wtf @ his run speed, come on.) I don't get it. In what world do you offset a character with low range....with low mobility, almost tthe WORST grounded mobility in the game, only above a handful of characters? Not just below average, LOW. He is outright SLOWER than a lot of characters on the ground, why? Why why why?

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
@ Kofu Kofu , Falco Phantasm's hit box is about half or 3/4's the distance it travels. It's weird and there's no explanation for it. Fox Illusion has an equal hit box to its distance. So, if Falco whiffs it like during recovery, he's royally screwed like how Ike's Quickdraw or Captain Falcon's Raptor Boost sometimes leaves space.
That's pretty strange. I mean, I feel in a lot of ways Falco's is better because of the weak meteor it has, but that's kind of a silly attribute to give it.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I feel like people are underestimating Charizard. I honestly believe he is the best "large heavy" character in this game. Every single one of his specials are solid, especially Rock Smash and Flamethrower. He has tons of kill options, spacing and zoning potential and can live forever with his decent recovery, high weight and ridiculous armor.
I can imagine him as high mid tier potentially.
High-mid is stretching it, at least in customless meta. It's hard for him to hit a lot of the better characters in the game, and while you can destroy people very quickly with a few good reads, you get punished very hard for messing up. Charizard's not a bad character at all, but I find myself being forced to resort to some pretty unsafe stuff against the better characters in the game, and I can't imagine him performing consistently against the top tiers. He's still a capable character, and can win if you outplay your opponents, but that probably means he just winds up in low-mid territory alongside the other heavies.

Morbi

Scavenger
That's pretty strange. I mean, I feel in a lot of ways Falco's is better because of the weak meteor it has, but that's kind of a silly attribute to give it.
I prefer Falco's as well, not necessarily just because of the meteor, but it feels as though it travels slightly further and has less end-lag when short-hopped.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So you are a heavy character who is being juggled.

DK has a decent option in up-b; Will has shown us what can be done with it.

Bowser has dair and down-b. Super unsafe, punishable, and situational, but it's something. Whirling Fortress is frame 6; not as good as DK's but it's alright.

Ganon has down-b, aka the nuclear option. Super unsafe, but SUPER harsh--this is ganon after all.

Charizard has... Fly and Rock Smash? Meh... Rock Hurl is a more reliable anti-juggle option, if needed.

DDD has... Up-b? Really? Customs adds the safer (?) quick one, and Armored Jet Hammer, if that helps.

Ike and Shulk have Counter.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Edit:
Oh, crucial note that is probably overlooked!

It's harder to catch Charizard without a double jump, and much harder to catch DDD without one!

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
It only spikes grounded opponents because Sakurai has a terrific sense of humor.
WTF. What about Peach's Dtilt? At least Peach can act fast enough.

Oh, and the game even tells you that you can tech Flame Choke. I just got that tip today. Really? Sure it's fast, but you could mash the button to tech it.

No kidding. Falco apparently lacks common sense to put his Blaster away quickly and walk while shooting, Ganondorf's dark power means nothing since everyone can tech Flame Choke, Bowser's shell is apparently made out of sponge, and Samus driving her heel down to people in the air does not slam them down... Nintendo logic, oh, how we loathe you.

I forgot, but can Raptor Boost dunk/meteor people when it's used in the air? I'm going to assume no because this game's logic resembles the Mad Hatter.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Oh, and the game even tells you that you can tech Flame Choke. I just got that tip today. Really? Sure it's fast, but you could mash the button to tech it.
Mashing to tech is a bad idea; you miss all techs for several frames after a shield input that doesn't tech.

Morbi

Scavenger

Bowser has dair and down-b. Super unsafe, punishable, and situational, but it's something. Whirling Fortress is frame 6; not as good as DK's but it's alright.

Ganon has down-b, aka the nuclear option. Super unsafe, but SUPER harsh--this is ganon after all.

Charizard has... Fly and Rock Smash? Meh... Rock Hurl is a more reliable anti-juggle option, if needed.

DDD has... Up-b? Really? Customs adds the safer (?) quick one, and Armored Jet Hammer, if that helps.

Other than the options that you mentioned, I will sometimes try to n-air. Especially with Bowser as d-special or d-air are death sentences with little pay-off. I suppose if you were desperate you could use flare-blitz with Charizard as an escape.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Other than the options that you mentioned, I will sometimes try to n-air. Especially with Bowser as d-special or d-air are death sentences with little pay-off.
Most of these characters' nairs are too slow, or hit too poorly below them. DDD's is okay--slightly lower-than-center hitbox, frame 7--but most won't do much to interrupt properly executed juggles.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Lucina has a sweetspot at the back of her Uair i've heard. Does Marth have this as well on a non-tippered Uair?

I dunno I think I heard the Lucina Uair thing in the tips section.
You're thinking of Up Tilt. Lucina and Marth's Utilts both have a lower Base Knockback on the late hit than the early hit, however whereas Marth's Utilt has the same damage values throughout, Lucina's does more damage with a late hit than an early hit.

Data courtesy of @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer :
Utilt

LUCINA
Damage: 6.65
Base Knockback: 50
Knockback Growth: 100
Hitlag Multiplier: 1.0×
SDI Multiplier: 1.0×

MARTH
Damage: 5, 6, 9
Hitlag Multiplier: 0.7×, 0.7×, 1.25×

Utilt (Late)

LUCINA
Damage: 7.125
Base Knockback: 40

MARTH

The Tip you read I'm assuming is this. Only noticed it the other day myself. "Lucina: Strong Up Attack – Lucina cuts an arc through the air with her sword. This does the most damage at the back, so try using it on foes standing close behind you!"

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike is pretty weak against attacks that are close to comboing, yet can also frame trap (most characters are). However, if given some space, Ike can set up a nair wall, drift away and react with fair/bair, or even quick draw away depending on the height. If the attack doesn't lead to a frame trap, all Ike can do is air dodge-> 7 frame bair or any other spaced aerial. Once the hitbox is out, it's difficult to directly combat it. It's not too difficult to bait attacks, but that also risks giving up your juggle opportunity.

Ike's counter requires a read or quick reaction in disadvantage since people are more likely to bait and strike rather than follow through with a non-guaranteed attack.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

What the hell?
I mean if you guys would just ask nicely, I could have told you all of this.

Her slowest move is like twice as fast as it was in Brawl.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I mean if you guys would just ask nicely, I could have told you all of this.

Her slowest move is like twice as fast as it was in Brawl.
Literally no one in my city plays this character. It's the least played character on my system.

I feel like I'm missing out on so many mysteries and experiences! What else is Samus hiding?!?

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788

Edit:

It's harder to catch Charizard without a double jump, and much harder to catch DDD without one!
The common option is mixing up fast-falls, which honestly screws with the timing of your opponent. You can often fast-fall with a Nair and pre-empt your opponent's up-air. Most up-airs aren't meaty, and a lot of opponents are going to be delaying their attack, expecting to punish you as you come out of air-dodge. Thats when you nail them in the face with a fast-fall Nair.

Condition your opponent to attack late by air dodging a lot. Then start smacking them with Nairs till they respect you (aka: start hitting you earlier) and let you get the Air Dodge off.

DDD in particular has a rather insane fast-fall Nair, especially when combined with his double-jumps. Very little landing recovery, and a good hitbox honestly. He's got a very good landing game for a heavy IMO. If you include a direction not directly below you, then DDD has various Gordos to cover his descent.

Bowser wants to double-jump and then Down-B into a ledge-grab. This turns an otherwise unsafe attack into a less disadvantaged situation. (Wakeup off the ledge IMO is still a disadvantaged situation... but less so, especially if you catch your opponent with your butt). Fast-fall Nair also works, but unlike Dedede, Bowser's landing lag on the NAIR leaves much to be desired.

Ganon also has fast-fall Nair as a decent option.

None of these are free anti-juggle like Pacman's Hydrant, but they're something.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Literally no one in my city plays this character. It's the least played character on my system.

I feel like I'm missing out on so many mysteries and experiences! What else is Samus hiding?!?
A world of pain, my friend. A world of pain. ;)

And thanks @ R RascalTheCharizard for the info, you're a life saver! I was curious about that, though it's sad that Marth will probably be getting the better deal out of that situation anyway. :(

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
You're thinking of Up Tilt. Lucina and Marth's Utilts both have a lower Base Knockback on the late hit than the early hit, however whereas Marth's Utilt has the same damage values throughout, Lucina's does more damage with a late hit than an early hit.

Data courtesy of @ KuroganeHammer KuroganeHammer :
Utilt

LUCINA
Damage: 6.65

MARTH

Utilt (Late)

LUCINA
Damage: 7.125

MARTH

The Tip you read I'm assuming is this. Only noticed it the other day myself. "Lucina: Strong Up Attack – Lucina cuts an arc through the air with her sword. This does the most damage at the back, so try using it on foes standing close behind you!"
So what I'm getting from all of this is "Lucina perfect pivot up tilt is a fun way to approach the opponent" because you'll be sliding at the enemy while not only going backwards but also doing more damage.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
So what I'm getting from all of this is "Lucina perfect pivot up tilt is a fun way to approach the opponent" because you'll be sliding at the enemy while not only going backwards but also doing more damage.
I'll have to try her perfect-pivot later, but 7.125 Dmg doesn't seem as good as 9.975% Dmg off a walking ftilt.

Walking FTilt does more damage, seems to have more ground-range and has much lower execution barrier. Even then, Perfect-Pivot FTilt still seems like a superior option, unless you're pretty sure your opponent is doing some sort of short-hop above you.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Fun maybe, but I don't see it being practical as an approach. PPivot Utilt seems like a good way to punish landing and/or crossup attempts though. I'm still working on my use of Perfect Pivoting and I haven't ever used it in a "serious" match, so maybe some other Lucina mains could offer their input here. I know @locuan128 gave an example of its use on the previous page.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
why

would you uptilt out of perfect pivot

like, hers is better than marths

use it for something useful

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
I'm curious as to what you guys think of Mr. Game & Watch, because from what little I've played of him in Brawl and what I've played in SSB4, he seems nerfed--though I could just be playing him wrong.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I originally thought Bowser Jr. sucked without customs and got a lot better with them, but I think I was wrong on both counts.
  • Neutral-B 2 really isn't much better than the default. Frankly, both suck.
  • Side-b 1 is Super Speed Lite. It's really good, at least in matchups that can't shut it down, which is hard.
  • Meanwhile, side-b 2 isn't as safe as I first thought, and side-3 is a pretty meh gimmick.
  • Default up-b is a legitimately great offensive move. Sooo much damage, kill power, and safety.
  • Default down-b is great stage control, easy to underrate.
  • Giant Mecha-Koopas offer very little control, just super high damage WTF factor that subsides with experience.
  • His disjointed aerial kit, chart-topping jab damage, and high KO power on read make for a well-equipped base character.
He still likes the options on side-b and down-b, but they aren't nearly as helpful as I previously pegged--mostly because the defaults are just actualyl so great. (Also see: Mega Man.)

I do agree that his base kit is really strong and requires
serious consideration to change anything, but...

Isn't his his up b 2 (Meteor Ejection) very similar to the default,
except it's better at gimping with the car hit in exchange for height?

Doesn't his side b 2 give him amazing horizontal recovery?
(Though losing on stage mobility combo starters is a big loss, in those
cases where it's shut down as you say...).

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
why

would you uptilt out of perfect pivot

like, hers is better than marths

use it for something useful
I meant it half as a joke, half in reference to the fact that Lucina slides further than Marth with her perfect pivot up tilt, which when combined with the more powerful late hit has me imagining Lucina basically ice skating backwards towards her opponent while swinging a sword.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord

Edit:

charizard also has flamethrower

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Palutena is weeeeeeird, but there's an impressively clear design intent behind her moveset. If nothing else she's got one of the most interesting kits in the game. Unblockable side-b 1 (with solid reflect uptime to boot)/neutral-b 2, invincibility on DA/bair, non-rebounding tilts (suddenly her tilts make sense), god(dess)-like jab/grab game, etc. The question is how well one can tie it all together in a customs-off environment. Her biggest flaw in a customs-off meta is that she's generally relatively high on commitment, but typically lacks sufficient reward to compensate. Not a great look when speedy characters are some of the biggest threats around right now, but if you can tie it all together effectively there's some potential there. Not top tier, but solid. Customs-legal Palutena though, hoo boy...

KO Punch windbox might be used to push the opponent into a particular position for that glorious freeze-frame hit.

Samus' startup is generally pretty decent, but iirc her endlag is balls. Does she really have anything that's passably safe?
What's a non-rebounding tilt and why does that property suddenly make sense of Palutena's?

Uh...dthrow > fair is a true combo at low % according to training mode, Relentless Super Missiles have marginally better kill power than default or Turbo but still won't kill until over 200%, none of the homing missile variants will kill outright ever, and messing around in training by throwing the dummy into a fully charged Dense Charge Shot is hilarious. And that's all I've got.

(Seriously if she could just have her missile power back from Melee I'd be so happy.)

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I do agree that his base kit is really strong and requires
serious consideration to change anything, but...

Isn't his his up b 2 (Meteor Ejection) very similar to the default,
except it's better at gimping with the car hit in exchange for height?

Doesn't his side b 2 give him amazing horizontal recovery?
(Though losing on stage mobility combo starters is a big loss, in those
cases where it's shut down as you say...).
Meteor Ejection doesn't self-link for a billion damage, but it does have Super Armor on startup.

Side-b 2 is probably worth taking in his worst matchups, where it doesn't normally function as a combo starter. (Exactly as you say)

charizard also has flamethrower
As an anti-juggle? Huh?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'd sooner deter people with Rock Smash or some kind of aerial other than Flamethrower, strictly speaking of Charizard. Flamethrower can be traded with very easily and is more likely to put the other guy in a better position to follow up.

As far as fatass D3 getting juggled, I honestly use nair, like the other guy said. It's fast and meaty enough to get people the hell off of me if their string isn't tight enough. As far as using Gordos on the descent, however, I'm personally a little leery of that option at times. I would much rather get back to neutral and start scheming from there than take the risk of my opponent circumventing my cumbersome projectile.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike is pretty weak against attacks that are close to comboing, yet can also frame trap (most characters are). However, if given some space, Ike can set up a nair wall, drift away and react with fair/bair, or even quick draw away depending on the height. If the attack doesn't lead to a frame trap, all Ike can do is air dodge-> 7 frame bair or any other spaced aerial. Once the hitbox is out, it's difficult to directly combat it. It's not too difficult to bait attacks, but that also risks giving up your juggle opportunity.

Ike's counter requires a read or quick reaction in disadvantage since people are more likely to bait and strike rather than follow through with a non-guaranteed attack.
Too add to this: B-Reversed Eruption works as an anti-juggle in some situations. Pulled it off against a spring -> uair happy Sonic before. The results if its lands is rather amusing.

I guess in theorycraft land Aether can kinda work as an anti-juggling option as well? Super armour if you get it to activate in time, changes up the timing for the opponent due to stopping for a moment, and the initial hitbox has some scary launching abilities.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nice write up! That's a fair stance on Jr, I quite like large mechakoopa because it doesn't move very far so the opponent is less likely to use it against you and it's like Peach turnips were wired to some Dynamite and thrown at peeps. Default I like as a way to make the kart more viable as an approach, because the opponent now has to deal with both. I'm more used to default on both chars because... Ionno, I just always use default for whatever reason. BUT I quite like the ideas of the customs given to both of them, except Jr's neutral B is sadly not good enough :'(

Anywho, I love both of them. <3
Dropping the default Mechakoopa behind while somewhat close
to the edge is also a good way to say no to grabs.

Probably the best thing to do with cannonballs
is to shoot them in the air in conjunction with an advancing
Mechakoopa.

Now, regarding Samus...

She seems to be a character who needs to outsmart
her opponent in order to win. Her down b is her greatest
tool in this regard, allowing her to instantly stall or reverse
her aerial movement, thus basically 'feinting' her jumps.
Don't focus on the bomb part of the move; just consider it
an extra.

And her Uair actually hits grounded opponents
and has very little lag, so it can lead into things like her
Usmash (best for bigger characters) depending on positioning.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Samus has a super hard time against rushdown and projectile users. Anyone who can pester her from charging or even approaching is a hard time, and fast characters who dont let her escape are as well. My personal experience - I feel like I hit a wall against some characters (and also some aggressive or disruptive playstyles). Switching out from Samus to a different fighter has helped in each case.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
@ Conda Conda : what's the priority on Samus's missiles?

My opponents lay down two of Samus's slow homing missiles before rushing in on me... or while I'm rushing in on them. I don't think this strategy would work well against the more projectile-heavy users in the cast... but slow missiles force opponents to jump, dodge, or otherwise change up their neutral gameplan.

Samus's aerials are surprisingly good, especially Fair. If you can force your rushdown opponents to jump from a barrage of slow missiles, it would seem to me that Samus would typically beat them in aerial combat.

Eating up Shiek's ground jump, and maybe a double-jump on her approach would definitely give Samus an edge. I'd imagine that Samus's missiles are at least superior to Shiek's needles and Diddy's peanuts. (With Shiek / Diddy representing the popular rushdown characters ATM)

</not a Samus Main, mostly theorycraft here>

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I've found the biggest problems be against people who can outcamp you, stop you from charging charge shot (can only do this grounded), destroy missiles while tossing out their own projectiles, and the most irritating - stopping you from shooting missiles during the startup animation. :p

She also has many blind spots when being defensive or aggressive, so she can feel awkward to use when your opponent is all up in your grill. Forcing samus to approach is a way to shut her down because she can't do much to approach, especially when coming from the air.

She's great against certain characters and playstyles, though, and I love playing as her. She can do a lot of tricks, but many characters feel like they can lock her down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom