• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
All this talk about low tiers reminds me how I said I don't need to watch Yoshi vs Mario to know Yoshi wins incredibly hard.

Like honestly, this was after watching gameplay of Mario and reading stuff A2 I believe said about mario being even more pathetic this time around.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
You might be right, it is very early. But I still think much of the game feels "canned" compared to past Smash games, where certain attacks were designed to work very well together and some not to function well at all. It's difficult to explain what I mean. Anyone who has played Gouken in SF4 might understand what I'm talking about. He has clear barriers in his kit set up to stop him from abusing certain very strong moves he has in unintended ways, whereas most of the rest of the cast can link a variety of moves together and be far more "creative."

I feel Smash 4 has sacrificed a certain level of potential creativity in favor of a more balanced overall experience. That's not to say the meta can't evolve or that we won't find interesting things, but Smash 4 offers a fair bit less "freedom" to the player compared to Brawl. Knockback angles feel far more restricive and less general (a lot of angles in brawl were like, this hits straight up, this hits horizontally, etc Smash 4's kb angles feel often just out of reach or just barely inconvenient for a follow-up attack).

Things are set up to work in certain ways and in certain circumstances, and only those circumstances, which makes the game easier to balance and more predictable for the designers. There seems to have been a decision internally to say "okay, we're going to give players the combo game they want back, but we're going to make sure things don't get crazy by mapping out every potential string and making sure the ones we didn't account for aren't there." With a... obviously dubious degree of success, mind you.

Ultimately this gives just about every character less "teeth" because there is just less potential for abuse.

I don't think I need to say "could be wrong, very early" every time I post something, though, @ ~ Gheb ~ ~ Gheb ~ . This is an impressions thread after all.
The one second regrab limit would be the epitome of that design philosophy.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
The one second regrab limit would be the epitome of that design philosophy.
Yes, that too.

Now it's obvious they missed some things... at some percents I can paralyzer then dash up to someone and nair->down b them for the kill, this is probably not intended. lol

Consider ZSS' dtilt. In brawl, it had a 90 degree launch angle and you could easily follow up with uair or an air dodge trap. In Smash 4, it has high knockback even at low % and launches at this weird 30ish degree angle. There's no way I could ever reach someone at low percents. It just doesn't work in conjunction wth my other moves very well. That seems too conspicuous to be coincidence, especially given how it worked in Brawl. There are examples of this all over the place, especially in the new characters. Has anyone ever said to you that they feel some of the new characters lack "flow?" This is why.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Blue thing as in Lucario right?

>70 stock lead
>Lucario to last stock, 150%
>Grabs you once
>Lose
>outskilled lel

OKAY
Unless you are talking about ForcePalm which has a nerfed grabbox, I don't think even with Aura he has a throw that can kill.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
All this talk about low tiers reminds me how I said I don't need to watch Yoshi vs Mario to know Yoshi wins incredibly hard.

Like honestly, this was after watching gameplay of Mario and reading stuff A2 I believe said about mario being even more pathetic this time around.
Yoshi still has to play somewhat honestly against Cape and Fireballs and Usmash. Keeping in mind this matchup was slightly Mario's favor in Brawl. Yoshi wins vs Mario slightly this game mostly due to buffed KO options. But Mario has a clear answer and response to most of Yoshi's options.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm pretty sure Yoshi vs Mario in brawl wasn't 55:45 Mario favor. Don't think it ever was outside of even maybe the first one, which we all say "first tier list/whatever doesn't matter till a year into the game"

So I kinda wanna live in the fantasy world you live in, must be incredibly nice.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You might be right, it is very early. But I still think much of the game feels "canned" compared to past Smash games, where certain attacks were designed to work very well together and some not to function well at all. It's difficult to explain what I mean. Anyone who has played Gouken in SF4 might understand what I'm talking about. He has clear barriers in his kit set up to stop him from abusing certain very strong moves he has in unintended ways, whereas most of the rest of the cast can link a variety of moves together and be far more "creative."

I feel Smash 4 has sacrificed a certain level of potential creativity in favor of a more balanced overall experience. That's not to say the meta can't evolve or that we won't find interesting things, but Smash 4 offers a fair bit less "freedom" to the player compared to Brawl. Knockback angles feel far more restricive and less general (a lot of angles in brawl were like, this hits straight up, this hits horizontally, etc Smash 4's kb angles feel often just out of reach or just barely inconvenient for a follow-up attack).

Things are set up to work in certain ways and in certain circumstances, and only those circumstances, which makes the game easier to balance and more predictable for the designers. There seems to have been a decision internally to say "okay, we're going to give players the combo game they want back, but we're going to make sure things don't get crazy by mapping out every potential string and making sure the ones we didn't account for aren't there." With a... obviously dubious degree of success, mind you.
Yes, that too.

Now it's obvious they missed some things... at some percents I can paralyzer then dash up to someone and nair->down b them for the kill, this is probably not intended. lol

Consider ZSS' dtilt. In brawl, it had a 90 degree launch angle and you could easily follow up with uair or an air dodge trap. In Smash 4, it has high knockback even at low % and launches at this weird 30ish degree angle. There's no way I could ever reach someone at low percents. It just doesn't work in conjunction wth my other moves very well. That seems too conspicuous to be coincidence, especially given how it worked in Brawl. There are examples of this all over the place, especially in the new characters. Has anyone ever said to you that they feel some of the new characters lack "flow?" This is why.
This may all be true but I don't think it makes matchups inherently more or less balanced. All it means is that destroying somebody or getting destroyed by somebody is a longer and more painful process than it used to be in Brawl. The end result could very easily be the same though. Given the amount of options the good characters have and the amount of holes the bad characters have I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were the case.

Falco may have been able to beat Ganon with 3 grabs in Brawl but if Mega Man only has like 3 or 4 moves that can even touch Rosalina it probably won't be that much better even though it'll take longer for her to win.

:059:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm pretty sure Yoshi vs Mario in brawl wasn't 55:45 Mario favor. Don't think it ever was outside of even maybe the first one, which we all say "first tier list/whatever doesn't matter till a year into the game"

So I kinda wanna live in the fantasy world you live in, must be incredibly nice.
okay I will prove it now that Mario beat Yoshi in Brawl.

Mario first off doesn't need to worry about Egg lay. Bairs are really safe against Yoshi's air game and will out trade Yoshi's Nair or Bair and interrupt Egg Lay. Fireballs also discourage Yoshi from spacing Egg Lay safely and are less of a commitment than Eggs meaning they can be safely used to zone.

Yoshi in Brawl also could do NOTHING in point blank range vs Mario. Auto jab guaranteed shut down Yoshi's options in that range including spotdodge.

Mario also KOs earlier than Yoshi even factoring weight.

This matchup is not much different aside from Yoshi having the option of Usmash oos, Jab to Usmash, and Mario getting damage nerfs.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i personally feel that kirby is subpar in this variation of smash because they made his feet smaller, among other things

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I have read ridiculous things you've posted.

I mean I can theorycraft too if you want.

Yoshi can bair spam all day and win this MU, being able to both destroy fireballs with his tail and hit mario at the same time. (or if we feel like giving mario a chance, be kind to him and jab the fireballs instead and hope he punishes us)
Anytime Mario wants to bair spam himself if he can't get any setups with fireballs we can honestly pivot grab every aerial option he tries. Any "gimp" options with his cape is moot unless we're just wasting egg tosses offstage which smart Yoshi players don't do.

Our Nair and Dair can wreck Mario as well if I don't feel like using Bair to beat him out. Mario only ever does well against Yoshi because we eventually have to start out at 0% again where Mario can get some small 10-20% combos then become useless fireball spamming again while praying his Bair doesn't get pivot grabbed. Mario still has just about a harder time killing with his only reliable kill move Usmash then Yoshi does having to kill.

We can also just Double jump all your combos early percentage too.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I have read ridiculous things you've posted.

I mean I can theorycraft too if you want.

Yoshi can bair spam all day and win this MU, being able to both destroy fireballs with his tail and hit mario at the same time. (or if we feel like giving mario a chance, be kind to him and jab the fireballs instead and hope he punishes us)
Anytime Mario wants to bair spam himself if he can't get any setups with fireballs we can honestly pivot grab every aerial option he tries. Any "gimp" options with his cape is moot unless we're just wasting egg tosses offstage which smart Yoshi players don't do.

Our Nair and Dair can wreck Mario as well if I don't feel like using Bair to beat him out. Mario only ever does well against Yoshi because we eventually have to start out at 0% again where Mario can get some small 10-20% combos then become useless fireball spamming again while praying his Bair doesn't get pivot grabbed. Mario still has just about a harder time killing with his only reliable kill move Usmash then Yoshi does having to kill.

We can also just Double jump all your combos early percentage too.
Yoshi loses by approaching with Bair. Mario just plays aerial footsies with his Bair and wins the trade, keeping in mind Mario also has oos options. You do like what, 3 damage and Mario does 12 when he hits your tail? Yoshi does not want to get into an air spacing game vs Mario.

Yoshi is forced to not play on his terms when Mario denies pivot grab and egg lay defense by using Fireballs.

I should let you know that this is a matchup I have won in tournament. And I am not someone amazing at this game.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Except Yoshi much faster and has more KO options. Mario kills earlier? GTFO, maybe with f-smash which is easy to watch out for. Yoshi is heavier and has several moves capable of killing Mario.

Also why are you doing a bunch of useless theory crafting only to arrive at a faulty conclusion about the Mario Yoshi matchup in brawl in the SBB4 forum?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
This discussion really is going out of hand. Stop using Brawl MU, and think.

Personally for me, Yoshi is a good character, but despite his decent traits, he still has trouble defeating characters with longer ranged attacks, like Link or Marth, as he cannot get in well enough due to their disjointed hitboxes. The D-Air with Yoshi seems to be defeated by a simple U-Tilt by them, or a dodge to punish. Then of course, in an aerial battle, characters with disjointed hitboxes win more than Yoshi.

In short, disjointed hitboxes and fast enough attacks will hurt Yoshi in normal attack game. In special attacks, that's something different depending on which.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Except Yoshi much faster and has more KO options. Mario kills earlier? GTFO, maybe with f-smash which is easy to watch out for. Yoshi is heavier and has several moves capable of killing Mario.

Also why are you doing a bunch of useless theory crafting only to arrive at a faulty conclusion about the Mario Yoshi matchup in brawl in the SBB4 forum?
All three of Mario's Smashes KO earlier. This is a tested fact. Mario simply KOs Yoshi earlier than the other way around in Brawl. Mario also gets Bthrow at like 185 while Yoshi really only can land Usmash and dsmash and Nair.

And the point is Yoshi doesn't destroy Mario in Smash 4. He wins, yes, but most people have not actually played this matchup. This is a matchup I have tournament experience in low tiers for Brawl where Mario actually won it slightly.

Mario by design actually has good answers to Yoshi's tools. But now that Yoshi's punishes got significantly more rewarding than Mario's he has slight advantage.

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
While I understand its early impressions and stuff, I feel uncomfortable reaching too far ahead into prediction as opposed to getting a handhold on things we're able to understand at the moment. Not that its necessarily bad to do, but I think its at least important to differentiate between the two.
I think you may be extrapolating based on ZSS, who from what I understand was sort of hit hard in that department and became less combo and more swordsmanish (best thing I can think of). It likely depends character to character. One example I can think of where we can easily see this play out are with Fox vs Kirby's dairs. Fox's dair knocks opponents at an angle now while kirbys grinds them into the ground, when the reverse was true for Brawl. I cant imaging the thought process that went into the decision for each. But as another example, a few pages ago I actually wrote something up about how a few subtle changes made pikachu flow more smoothly in smash 4 as well.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Unless you are talking about ForcePalm which has a nerfed grabbox, I don't think even with Aura he has a throw that can kill.
The hitbox being nerfed doesn't change the fact that it's completely absurd how that move can KO at obscenely low percentages.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The hitbox being nerfed doesn't change the fact that it's completely absurd how that move can KO at obscenely low percentages.
Luigi would like to submit that hitbox size is, perhaps, relevant.

Most of Lucario's stupidness lies elsewhere.

Gea

Smash Master

The point being that even a small hitbox on a command grab is irrelevant when it is still an excellent move that gets inane reach on the non-grab part.

All the crafting on Yoshi does a great disservice to one of his best attributes in Smash 4. With so few lingering hitboxes in the game, he actually has them in spades. It gives him what seems like incredible priority over most of the cast and his weird posture/animations allow him to outspace a lot of characters. The fact that he can go toe to toe with Rosalina+Luma and has a good chance at winning a footsie war is incredible and speaks volumes to how good his moves are from a "does it win/trade?" standpoint.

Last edited:

PKNintendo

Smash Master

And i'd like that posit that one character (a forgetable one at that) doesn't make my point any less valid. I'll concede that Lucario has a lot of overpowered nonsense, but that command grab is simply the cherry on top of an overpowered cake

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I feel bad when I win as Lucario (which is needless to say every time). I don't play him often but when I get an itch, I scratch it, and I feel like I've exploited a cheap character for my own personal gain.

Then I remember that I've gone up .05% in my winrate and I feel happy again

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I feel bad when I win as Lucario (which is needless to say every time). I don't play him often but when I get an itch, I scratch it, and I feel like I've exploited a cheap character for my own personal gain.

Then I remember that I've gone up .05% in my winrate and I feel happy again
I was playing Lucario today against ZSS and they pretty much outplayed me up to like 120%. Then I two stocked them.

This character is maaaaaaaad lol (granted it's for glory but the zss was legit)

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I've beaten "legit" players on For Glory with D3. Can he be OP nao? :4dedede:

(WISHFUL THINKING)

I'm just glad Lucario's stupid design isn't pervasive. Can you imagine if that blue Hong Kong Phooey reject had transcendent priority and decent range?

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
All three of Mario's Smashes KO earlier. This is a tested fact. Mario simply KOs Yoshi earlier than the other way around in Brawl. Mario also gets Bthrow at like 185 while Yoshi really only can land Usmash and dsmash and Nair.

And the point is Yoshi doesn't destroy Mario in Smash 4. He wins, yes, but most people have not actually played this matchup. This is a matchup I have tournament experience in low tiers for Brawl where Mario actually won it slightly.

Mario by design actually has good answers to Yoshi's tools. But now that Yoshi's punishes got significantly more rewarding than Mario's he has slight advantage.
Has anyone told you that you tend to number crunch a lot in your analyses?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
@ Supermodel From Paris Supermodel From Paris

OMG, the Gouken comparison is EXACTLY how I feel about several chars in this game, but ESPECIALLY Mario. It took several patches for Gouken to be a threat and i dont think alot of chars have the same hope. Some characters look like they should work, but their gameplan is simply NOT cohesive. There is no glue to it, no flow.

I felt this with Marth, until I noticed I could take advantage of a few gameplay changes with him as well as his high knockback on throws so a grab to fthrow/bthrow means instant ledge trap scenario alot of the time.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Rage :troll:

I dunno, to me it seems like Lucario has a tougher time at low percents compared to Brawl. Can anyone confirm?
Smartass.

And yeah, IMO he does. His normals are wonky, almost stubby. They don't feel as good as they were in Brawl.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I dunno, to me it seems like Lucario has a tougher time at low percents compared to Brawl. Can anyone confirm?
I'm inclined to agree.

Another notable difference is that Lucario actually becomes quite campy at higher %. Pivot sideB and neutral B make it really hard to approach him. Aside from the obvious Rosalina, it's characters with good KO power, mobility and a solid projectile that can deal with Lucario the best. I'm pretty sure Yoshi, Greninja and Fox all are at least even with Lucario.

:059:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
From what I know, Brawl Lucario had some nice damage racking and even good combo strings when he was at low percent, making him feel dangerous at all levels as combos transformed into finishers when he needed it. He's still better overall with added aura scaling, but I liked how Brawl's progression handled it compared to lol weak to lol absurdly strong. Just my preference.

Edit: "Weak" Lucario starts feeling right to me around 40-50%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom